You just got yourself a new kitten and you have never been happier. It is pretty much impossible to not be happy around those little, fluffy, balls of energy and curiosity. One of the most exciting parts of being a new kitten owner is the preparations to welcome the new fur baby to your home and heart.
Specially tailored for first-time cat owners, here are some of the must-have items on your shopping list for the new kitten. They include essentials like wet food for kittens, food and water bowls, cat litter and a litter box set. You will also need a cat carrier to transport your new kitty, as well as grooming tools like flea and sleeker combs.
Here is more on these must haves and all other items you should shop for when getting a new kitten.
The last item in our list is something intangible. Pets are social creatures like us. Getting them a companion is often a good idea to keep them entertained when you’re out working, and enrich their social life.
You can have another cat, or even another animal altogether as their companions. We have seen how cats become the best of friends with many different kinds of pets..
2. Pet-Friendly Surface Cleaning Products
- CERTIFIED GENTLE AND SAFE Chlorine free and color safe. Safe to use around pets and children. No hazardous propellants,...
- ELIMINATES STAINS, ODORS AND RESIDUE If it’s gross, it’s gone. Not just the stain, but the stink. From stinky yellow...
- EVERY SURFACE, EVERY TIME For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet...
We recommend: Rocco and Roxie Stain and Odor Remover
Kittens are relatively easy to potty train and should pick up on the new skill within a few days to a few weeks. However, potty accidents may still occur. You may also have to deal with things like secretions and vomit that leave stains and unpleasant odors.
A good enzymatic cleaner will help you easily get rid of all of these messes. Just make sure to go with products that are cat-friendly.
3. Litter Box
- High sides to prevent litter scatter
- Care and cleaning: Spot or wipe clean
- Non-stick surface for easy cleaning
Litter training is one of the first things you will have to do if you want to enjoy your experience as a cat purrent. For this, you will have to invest in a little box.
As with the food bowl, it is important to consider the kitten’s size as well as their ability to climb, or lack thereof. Find litter boxes where one side has an entrance and exit cutout from the wall.
4. Cat Litter
- FIGHTS ODORS LONGER: Fight litter box odors with Fresh Step Advanced Cat Litter that starts fighting odors on contact to...
- MULTI CAT LITTER: Extra strength formula is strong enough to handle multiple-cat litter boxes and multi-cat homes
- LOW DUST CAT LITTER: For cleaner surfaces and cleaner air, this litter is 99% dust free and a low tracking cat litter
We recommend: Fresh Step Advanced Clumping Litter
There are many types of cat litter out there, from crystal and clay-based options to grain husks and wood shavings. Each has something to offer depending on your priorities and preferences.
For kittens, you want something that will be gentle on their delicate paws while also being easy to dig into. In this case, clay and crystal cat litter options are the best to go with. Clumping clay in particular is easy to clean up. Both also happen to be great for odor control even without being scented.
When shopping for ca litter for your kitten, it is best to avoid scented options that may confuse the little one. Instead, let them mark the box with their own scent.
5. Litter Scoop
- Own the First and Only Premium Cat Litter Scoop – Now selling for over 20 years, the DuraScoop is a hand tool...
- The DuraScoop is Ergonomic - Made of 100% light weight aluminum, we have shifted the weight from the shovel toward the...
- The DuraScoop Won't Bend or Flick - The DuraScoop is a single piece of metal, end-to-end, including the handle which is...
We recommend: DuraScoop Jumbo Metal Cat Litter Scoop
While we are still on the topic of planning for your kitten’s potty needs, you will have to get a litter scoop. This makes it super easy to clean out the little box especially when working with clumping litter options.
Consider the type of litter you go for when making this choice as it will guide your choices based on the wideness of the scoop holes.
Another important consideration here is the material of the scoop. Metallic scoops tend to last longer and are often easier to clean. Plastic ones on the other hand are just as effective for much less. However, the latter will not last as long as the stronger metal options.
6. Carrier Crate
- Hard Sided Dog Carrier | Spree is suitable as an XS breed dog carrier, cat carrier, small bird carrier & small animal...
- Dog carrier interior dimensions: 20.70L x 13.22W x 14.09H inches & doorway measures 8.54W x 8.85H inches, blue
- Pet carrier is available in 3 fun & fashionable colors & the design provides proper air circulation / visibility for...
We recommend: Midwest Spree Traveling Pet Crate
Whether you are picking your new fur baby up from a shelter or your relative’s friend whose cat gave birth, you will need a way to safely carry them home. Carrier crates come in very handy especially for longer trips with kittens that may be a little traumatized by all the action and movement.
These will also come in handy later on for those vet visits or even for trips abroad with your fur baby. It is therefore best to go with a standard cat carrier crate size that the little one will slowly grow into.
Hard crates are also more preferable to cloth and mesh crates. This is because the solid structure of hard crates makes them not only more durable but also more comfortable and safe for the kitten.
7. Cat Bed
- VERSATILE PET TENT: Versatile Bedsure Pet Tent Bed is the ultimate retreat that you can set up at home (living room,...
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION: Constructed of high density foam and 100% microfiber outer material, this tent bed gives pets a...
- SMART BED DESIGN: With a triangular entrance and cave-like design, 2-in-1 enclosed pet bed functions like a soft cat/dog...
We recommend: Bedsure Kitten Bed Cave
For the first few weeks, it is not advisable to sleep with your kitten in the same bed. This is mainly for health and hygiene reasons as you never really know what the little one picked up where they were.
A cat bed is a great way to welcome the kitten to your new home by giving them a space that is all theirs. With these pets, all you have to do to make them happy is get something that is warm, soft on their paws and fun to knead.
It is also a good idea when shopping for young kittens to go with beds that either have bolstered edges or even a cave-style bed. This satisfies the kitten’s instinct to find a safe and hidden spot to sleep.
8. Flea Comb
- Tell pesky parasites to "bug off" with extra-fine teeth that comb away adult fleas, flea eggs and other debris easily...
- Specially designed to work for cats and dogs with all coat types
- Doubles as a grooming tool to detangle mats around delicate areas
We recommend: Hartz Groomer’s Best Flea Comb
More often than not, new kittens will have cat fleas on them, especially if they are rescues from the wild or from outdoor queen cats. Having your own flea comb will come in handy allowing you to give the new member of your family a good run through for any eggs, larva, or adult fleas that may be hiding out in their fluffy coats.
When shopping for these it is best to go with something that has fine but strong teeth as well as an ergonomic handle for easy use.
9. Sleeker Brush
- 【Perfect Pet Hair Brush】 Cat & Dog Hair Brush gently removes loose hair, eliminates tangles, knots, dander, trapped...
- 【Safer Massage Pin】 Arc pins of Cat Brush with round massage beads design won't scratch your pet, doing massage is...
- 【Unique 135° Bristle】 Stainless steel bristles design of 135° increase durability of the Pet Brush, especially for...
We recommend: Hateli Self-cleaning Sleeker Brush
Most cat breeds shed a lot even as kittens unless you are fortunate enough to have a breed that doesn’t. Whatever situation you find yourself in, it is best to invest in a sleeker brush to deshed and detangle your cat’s fur. In fact, unless you have a hairless cat this is something you cannot afford to start your cat parenting journey without.
A good sleeker brush has strong bristles with rounded ends to avoid irritating the kitten’s skin. They are also easy to handle with ergonomic designs. An awesome bonus feature to prioritize is self-cleaning. This makes your life so much easier and is definitely worth that investment.
10. Nail Clippers
- TOP QUALITY - 1 Year money back guarantee, and 6 years warranty! Our thick stainless steel blades is strong and sharp to...
- PROFESSIONAL CAT NAIL CLIPPERS - One of the best cat nail clippers / professional small animal nail clippers on the...
- COMFORT & EASY - Offers larger and softer grip area compare to similar products on the market for better stability....
We recommend: Pet Republique Cat Nail Clippers
Kittens love to scratch and will satisfy this need on anything they can reach from your favorite couch to your bare legs. They also tend to scratch themselves a lot especially if they have skin irritation whether from allergies or parasite infestation.
For their sake and yours, nail clipping is an important aspect of their grooming. You therefore need to have a good pair of nail clippers. Make sure to go for kitten-friendly clippers whose blades and clipping mechanisms are specially designed for the tiny nails on the little fur balls.
11. Kitten-Friendly Shampoo
- DID YOU KNOW CATS NEED BATHS TOO? Even though cats groom themselves, cats should be bathed every 4-6 weeks, or more...
- No. 1 PET GROOMING BRAND IN THE USA* - Join the millions of pet parents who can't get enough of Burt's Bees for Pets by...
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY 99.7% NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Natural ingredients include buttermilk, which gently cleanses...
We recommend: Burt’s Bees for Pets Tearless Kitten Shampoo
It is also advisable that you give your kitten a bath when they get to your home for hygiene purposes. Kitten friendly shampoo therefore has to be on your shopping list.
Go for a brand with a tearless formula and as few chemical additives as possible. This is because small kittens have very sensitive skin, eyes, noses, and mouths and will quickly get irritated by harsh formulations.
It is also best to avoid heavily scented shampoos as you want your kitten to get comfortable with their scent and familiar with anything they leave it on.
12. Kitten ID Tags
- Our personalized stainless steel Cat tags are incredibly durable and long-lasting.
- The permanent laser engraving is clear to read on an attractive, polished tag.
- This Mouse shaped cat tag can be custom engraved on one side with up to 4 lines of personalized text, plenty of room for...
We recommend: Petantastic Stainless Steel Engraved Pet Tags
Young kittens are real escape artists especially before they get settled into their new homes. There is always the chance that they will find a way outside whether it is through that random open window or sneaking out after you.
Kitten tags will make your life a lot easier in this case, allowing the little one to be returned safely before anything happens to them.
13. Ball Toys
- Exercise your cat's natural instincts to explore and thrive in the world around them with toys that stimulate all of...
- Perfect for batting around, chasing, and hunting, Midnight Crazies encourage and stimulate your cat's natural playful...
- Includes 7 colorful balls with textured surfaces for erratic rolling to entice chase
We recommend: Hartz Just for Cats Ball Toy
To call kittens little balls of energy is truly an understatement. These little ones take energetic to a whole other level especially when they get comfortable in their new home. To avoid destructive behavior, you have to find positive ways to channel the energy in which case ball toys are the way to go.
These give the kitten something to chase after which gives them the thrill of the hunt.
Ball toys come in different materials and styles. You could get stuffed ones or even bouncy rubber ones. However, nothing will beat the classic plastic mesh balls.
- Ideal for kitten to medium size cats up to 20lbs,Multiple cats
- Single pillar scratching post for cats to satisfy their natural instincts to claw
- Helps keep your cat from damaging carpets, furniture, curtains, and more
We recommend: Amazon Basics Cat Scratching Post
Scratchers are another must-have for a new kitten owner. These offer the kitten a way to work out any physical or psychological tension. It also spares your furniture and upholstery from the havoc those little nails can cause.
Scratchers typically come in two forms. The first are sisal rope scratchers where the rope is wound around a pole of some sort. These usually last longer. The second type of scratchers are made from cardboard and are often in the form of panels. These are more affordable but may need replacement sooner than the sisal options.
15. Bell Collar
- ADJUSTABLE DESIGN: Pawtitas Cat Collar is suitable for any stage of their lives, from a kitten to a senior cat . The Cat...
- DURABILITY AND STRENGTH: In order to increase the tensile strength of the product, is constructed of a single piece of...
- GLOW IN THE DARK CAT COLLAR : Pawtitas Glow In The Dark Cat Collar is a fun choice for everyone, just expose the cat...
We recommend: Pawtitas Glow In the Dark Collar
There is nothing as nerve wracking and even a bit annoying as looking for your new kitten in your home. The only thing these cats are better at than plotting their escape is finding weird places to hide.
A bell collar will make life easier for you allowing them to track their movements by sound. That way, you don’t have to go crouching under every piece of furniture or opening every closet to find your naughty kitty.
16. Kitten Formula Milk
- Provides: Vitamins, minerals, and trace nutrients for kittens that have been orphaned or rejected
- Milk Powder: Easy to mix, highly palatable, and easy for kittens to digest
- Kitten Milk Replacer: Ideal for newborn kittens up to 6 weeks old
This only applies if you get a kitten before they are weaned. More often than not, shelters and veterinary shops will hold on to kittens that have lost their moms. However, if you happen to rescue one yourself then you will have to find a milk replacer.
These formulas are specially designed to suit the little, vulnerable kitten’s needs including their very delicate digestive systems.
17. Dry Kitten Food
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: Made to feed your feline's wild side, this high protein kitten food is packed with more of the...
- GRAIN FREE KITTEN FOOD: Blue Wilderness kitten food is made with ingredients to help promote healthy development...
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains Blue's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins...
We recommend: Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Dry Food
In addition to the wet kitten food, you will at some point have to introduce dry kibble. These options offer their own benefits including helping to mechanically clean the teeth while also being more convenient and long-lasting.
When shopping for kittens, consider the size and hardness of the kibble. More often than not, the brands will indicate the appropriate kitten age group that can consume what they have. However, you can never really go wrong with small to medium pellets.
18. Cat Treats
- Contains four (4) 3 ounce pouches of Temptations Classic Cat Treats Variety Pack: (1) Seafood Medley Flavor, (1) Tasty...
- Your adult cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and...
- Under 2 calories per cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
We recommend: Temptations Cat Treats Variety Pack
Unlike dogs, cat treats may not really help you train your little one to sit or fetch. However, they are a great way to build rapport, develop trust, and generally bond with your new kitten. Get treats that are tasty and also nutritional so you make your kitten happy while also keeping them healthy.
As with their food options, stay as far away from overprocessed options as possible.
19. Multivitamin Supplements
- POWERFUL POWDER – Balanced Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, dietary fiber and phytonutrients to support skin & coat health,...
- NON-GMO ALL NATURAL SUPERFOOD NUTRITION – Our cold processed supplement packs all of the vital nutrients your cat's...
- GOOD HAIR DAY — Add a daily spoonful of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to your cat's food to help with shedding, soothe dry...
We recommend: Missing Link Superfood Supplement Powder
Even with the best quality cat food, you may not always get all the micronutrients that the kitten requires to grow and develop optimally. That is where supplements come in handy.
One of the most important things to consider here is the type of micronutrients in the supplement and what they will do for your kitten. If your little one seems to have skin issues, go for things like vitamin E or Omega 3 oil supplements. If they just need general support then go for a blend with multiple nutrients.
The formulation also matters a lot. With kittens, liquids or powders are the best way to get them to actually consume the supplements. With kibble or soft chew preparations, the chances of rejection are quite high.
20. Calming Spray
- FELIWAY is vet recommended, and the #1 selling solution: FELIWAY Classic may help cats adjust to challenging situations,...
- 9 out of 10 cats show an improvement in urine spraying*
- FELIWAY Classic Spray makes vet visits, travel, new environments, and loud noise (thunder, fireworks, etc) less...
We recommend: Feliway Classic Calming Spray
Young kittens tend to be very restless and worked up the first few days in a new home. They will screech and meow your head off out of fear as they try to figure out where their mother is.
A great way to calm the little ones down is through calming sprays. Kitten formulations may contain essential oils blends known for their calming effects. They may also have compounds like melatonin or hemp known for the same outcome. Finally, you could consider pheromone-based sprays for something the kitten will be familiar with.
21. Cat Blanket
- SMALL SIZE: 60*80cm(24*32inch), perfect for small size dogs, puppies and cats, such as Chihuahua and Papillon,...
- MATERIAL: Made of environment friendly thick soft comfy fleece
- WASHING: Machine washable and fine with tumble dry, never shed or fade
We recommend: FurryBaby Premium Fluffy Fleece Blanket
Technically speaking, it is unlikely that your kitten will actually use their blanket as it is traditionally used. However they will definitely enjoy kneading on it and using it as a sleeping pad on your couch or bed.
These not only work for the kitten but also minimize the amount of shed fur you have to deal with on your bed or couch.
22. Cat Playpen
- ★ Available in 3 Sizes Medium (29x29x17 inches Dogs up To 10LBS) Large (36x36x23 inches Dogs Up To 25 Lbs ) Extra...
- ★ BONUS INCLUDED! The Portable Pet Play Pen comes along with a convenient carry case and a collapsible 16 oz. food...
- ★ SUPERIOR DESIGN Roomy 8-Panel design with protected seams and reinforced corners. Made from durable water-resistant...
We recommend: Ruff and Ruffs Portable Pet Playpen
Housebreaking a kitten is all about setting boundaries. Sometimes the best way to do that is by setting actual, physical boundaries which is where playpens come in handy. These allow you to offer the kitten some freedom while still exercising restriction.
Just let them in with all their toys and you can do your chores or work from home without the cat running around everywhere and interrupting you.
A collapsible cloth and mesh playpen is the best to go with for convenience and aesthetics. However, they tend to be more expensive. If you want a more affordable and simple playpen then consider going with a metal grate playpen.
23. Cat Carrier Backpack
- TRANSPARENT CLEAR BUBBLE FRONT + EXPANDABLE BACK. This cat backpack carrier increase your pet's visual space via front...
- BREATHABLE SPACE CAPSULE CAT BUBBLE BACKPACK. Extra 9 vent holes around this carrier backpack and two side windows to...
- ECO-FRIENDLY AND NON-TOXIC PET-SAFE MATERIALS MADE BACKPACK FOR CATS. Light weight and super wear-resistant shell...
We recommend: Halinfer Expandable Cat Backpack
Cats may not always show it but they love our company. A cat backpack ensures that you satisfy this unspoken need by taking them with you on your outdoor errands. This is a particularly awesome treat for indoor kittens.
With these, visibility and breathability are very important considerations. In fact if you can get a backpack where the back is a completely clear panel then you will have one very happy kitten.
Versatility is also worth considering if you want full value for your money. In this case, go for backpacks that are expandable into larger carriers or even into cat tents.
24. Kitten Finger Toothbrush
- ✿【SIZE LARGE (STANDARD BRISTLES) - 8 COUNT】 – Our finger toothbrushes (pet supplies) are made from safe material...
- ✿【100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION】 – 60 days money back guarantee. Contact seller (H&H Pets) directly if you have any...
- ✿【GREAT VALUE & HIGH QUALITY】 – This package comes with 8 tooth brushes (dog brush). High quality materials for...
We recommend: H&H Pets Finger Toothbrush
Kitten stage is the best time to train your cat to be comfortable with regular tooth brushing as a part of their grooming routine. For this, we recommend you start with a kitten finger toothbrush. These offer you better control and flexibility as you deal with the inevitably resisting kitty.
25. Kitten-Friendly Toothpaste
- DID YOU KNOW AROUND 40% OF CATS HAVE DENTAL DISEASE? Dental disease causes pain and discomfort daily, but pets are pros...
- CAT DENTAL KIT - This dental kit for cats has everything you need to brush your cat's teeth: tuna flavored cat...
- NEVER USE HUMAN TOOTHPASTE ON PETS - Human toothpastes may contain ingredients like xylitol that are toxic to animals....
We recommend: Arm and Hummer Tuna-Flavored Toothpaste
For the toothpaste you want to find something that will actually clean the cat’s teeth without irritating their mouths or their guts as they will most likely swallow it. That is why flavored toothpaste is such a hit. To the kitty it will just be a very invasive snack time.
26. Laser Beam Toy
- SAFE FOR PETS: The Bolt features a Class IIIa laser with a 5mW max power output for a safe play experience; Requires 4...
- AUTOMATIC PLAY: The Bolt automatically turns the laser off after 15 minutes to prevent your cat from being...
- ENTERTAINING TO CATS: The exciting laser moves randomly across floors and walls which appeals to the natural hunting...
We recommend: PetSafe Automatic Laser Toy
Kittens and cats have always been fascinated by laser dots which is why this is definitely an investment worth considering as a kitten owner. It is a great way to engage your kitten and bond with them through play without working yourself out too much.
For this toy option, you could go the old-school route and invest in a laser beam pen. These may either be rechargeable or battery powered. You could also go for the newer automated systems including some that are motion activated. The automated laser toys are an awesome way to keep your kitten engaged even when you are not there with them.
27. Spiral Spring
- ✔60 in a-pack，Non-Toxic Materials -- Made of safe, strong and flexible plastic, This cat spring toy have smoothness...
- ✔Multicolor and bright colors add to the fun. Entertain your cat with random bouncing movements.
- ✔Cats love a good game of "bouncy springs" and have fun chasing the colorful springs cat toys around while their...
We recommend: ISMARTEN Cat Spring Toy
Another seemingly boring toy that always seems to captivate kittens is the spiral spring. Maybe it is the flexibility that makes them feel like prey or the fact that they are just so bouncy and fun. They may not seem like much but your kitten will definitely enjoy having them around to play with.
28. Interactive Toys
- 【HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL】: Made of wear-resistant and tear-resistant PP material, which can withstand the cat's...
- 【2 IN 1 CAT TOY FOR FUN】: Consisting of a mouse toy, a feather toy and a rolling ball, to meet the cat’s various...
- 【KEEP PET BUSY & HAPPY】: Removable mouse toy and feather toy supported by high elastic springs, inserted into the...
We recommend: Pawaboo Interactive Cat Toy
Kittens have a lot of psychological energy in addition to the physical. This mental side also needs to be engaged to keep the kitten sharp and entertained. Interactive toys are built to offer a response and keep the cat engaged by simulating movements of common prey like birds or even mice.
It could be a feathery toy attached to a spring or even an automatic mouse toy. Whatever the case, it gives the kitten something to actively hunt which is a great way to keep them preoccupied and happy.
29. Cat Harness
- ★ ADJUSTABLE SIZE FOR CATS SMALL PETS: NOTE: Please adjust the strap and belt according to your pet size after you...
- ★ CAT HARNESS AND REFLECTIVE LEASH & CAR SEAT BELT SET: We offer a complete small animals vest set, including cat...
- ★ SUPER COMFORT & BREATHABLE MATERIAL: Our cat harness is made of lightweight, soft, breathable air-mesh fabric, this...
We recommend: Awoof Escape-proof Kitten Harness
Most people do not think cats can actually be taken out on walks like dogs. This couldn’t be further from the truth. You just have to train the can from an early age to get comfortable with the restriction.
Kitten harnesses are a great place to start. Just put one on and let the kitten get comfortable walking around in it. Eventually, you can add a leash and take them on short walks indoors before braving the outdoors.
30. Flavored Hard Chew Treats
- Contains Fifty (50) 0.14 oz. SHEBA Meaty Tender Sticks Tuna Flavor Cat Treats
- SHEBA Meaty Tender Sticks Treats for Cats are made with real meat for a taste adult cats love
- These irresistible cat snacks are made with no corn, wheat, soy and no artificial flavors
We recommend: Sheba Tuna Flavored Sticks
Teething in kittens is not as dramatic as with other pets. However, it may sometimes get uncomfortable. Hard chew treats offer quick relief in these cases. However, it is important to appreciate that those kitten teeth are not as strong as pup teeth. Therefore, go for hard chews that are more flexible and soft and therefore gentle on the little kitty’s teeth.
31. Plush Stuffed Animals
- SOOTHING & DESTRESSING CUDDLE TOY: The Petstages Cuddle Pal Kitty is a cute, cuddly, and warming cat toy that your kitty...
- MICROWAVEABLE POUCH FOR WARMTH: These adorable cuddle cat toys come with a removable buckwheat-filled pouch to provide a...
- SOFT & SNUGGLY: The plush, cozy exterior shell of the Cuddle Pal cat toy makes it an ideal snuggling companion for...
We recommend: PetStages Cat Pillow
Kittens love few things more than a good cuddle. This reminds them of the comfort they had with their mother and siblings. You may not always be around the house to offer this in which case stuffed toys and pillows are a great alternative.
Make sure to get something with a soft cover and filling which will feel a lot like another cat to the little kitten.
32. Toy Storage Basket
- 1.The storage basket is made of full chemical fiber Soft felt material with the wood handle.
- 2.MEASUREMENTS: 38cm (15in) long by 25cm (10in) wide and 18cm (7in) high, the storage basket stands upright and the...
- 3.Fun for pet-make cleaning up toys in the playroom or bedroom more enjoyable.
We recommend: Geyecete Cat Toy Bin
Things can get a bit chaotic when handling all the toys and accessories in a home with a new kitten. That is why dedicated storage is so awesome. A simple collapsible bin with or without a lid should do the trick.
For your own pleasure, get something that offers aesthetic value. It could be cat-specific décor or patterns or even a cat pun.
33. Pet Wet Wipes
- Natural dog wipes with extra moisture and thickness are for dogs and cats' coats, paws, feet, butt and bodies. They can...
- This grooming wipes for dogs & cats, puppies & kittens contain fresh Aloe vera & Vitamin E.
- Our cat wipes are natural.
We recommend: Pupmate Pet Wipes for Cats and Dogs
Cats are typically very clean and will often take care of their maintenance grooming needs between bath sessions. However, kittens often need a little help especially during the first 3 to 6 months of life.
Pet wet wipes will come in handy whether you want to wipe eye boogers and tear tracks off their faces or litter particles from their paws.
Go for natural wet wipes with non-irritating formulas. You could also go for biodegradable or plant-based wipes. These may be a bit more pricey but are great for the planet.
- ✅ 100% NATURAL CATNIP: Grown & Harvested the Pacific North West of the USA. Our catnip is pure, potent, and without...
- ✅ PREMIUM: planted, grown, and harvested at the highest peak of season, ensuring the best Plant quality and ultimate...
- ✅ CATS love it: attracts cats like a magnet to toys, scratchers, and pet bedding. Helps redirect destructive behavior...
We recommend: Pet Craft Premium Catnip
Catnip is a great treat for your cat every once in a while. You could also use it as a tool to calm them down and get them more comfortable with the new home or even with new accessories. Just sprinkle some or even spray catnip extracts on spaces the cats will use and you will notice the little fur babies gravitating towards them.
35. Litter Trap Mat
- [COLOR & SIZE]: Grey - Length 30" x Width 25" x Height 0.5" Inch
- [ENVELOPE DESIGN]: Pocket opens on both ends as shown in the photos, easy litter dumping. Well-Engineered 12mm diameter...
- [FUNCTIONS]: Brilliantly traps cat litter from cat paws and litter boxes with its fully tested double layered design to...
We recommend: WePet Cat Litter Mat
Something no one ever tells new kitten owners is just how much litter ends up around the house especially with small particle options like clay and crystal litters. The particles will hitchhike on the kitten’s paws or get kicked out of the litter box as the little one furiously digs to hide their potty parcels.
Litter trap mats make the world of a difference by catching most, if not all, stray litter from the box and the kitten’s paws as they leave.
36. Litter Box Liner
- #1 Selling liner in America
- Heavy Duty 2 MIL Strength
- Tear Resistant
We recommend: Jonny Cat Heavy Duty Litter Box Liners
Another awesome accessory that will make your life easier is a set of litter box liners. These go at the very bottom and allow easy disposal of litter when it can no longer be cleaned out through scooping. That way, you don’t have to keep cleaning the little box itself or struggling to scrape out clumps that have stuck to the bottom of the box.
Make sure to find options with draw strings that are typically easier to work with.
37. Heating Pad
- ✔【Auto Constant Temperature】Built-in dual thermostat, Provides optimal comfort temperature for dogs & cats(...
- ✔【Waterproof & Easy Clean】Pet Heating Pad uses advanced IP67 waterproof PVC material, and easy removable washable...
- ✔【Dual Chew Resistant Steel Cord】Protect dog&cat from chewing wires with dual resistant cord protection to ensure...
We recommend: Marunda Pet Heating Pad
This is another accessory that may only be necessary if you are shopping for very young kittens. They rely heavily on warmth from their mother and siblings when they are much younger and may easily suffer hypothermia when separated.
A heating pad is a great addition to your “purrenting” arsenal that allows you to keep your kitten comfortable and safe as they grow stronger and settle in. They can also use it as older kittens and adult cats but more out of preference than necessity.
38. Kitten Clothes
- Adorable dog sweater, a luxurious essential for the well-appointed pup.
- Crafted in a combination of Wide-ribbed turtleneck collar and Aran stitches for a heritage look.
- Made of Acrylic Fabric to keep your pet warm soft,comfort skin feeling protect from hurting by hard materials
We recommend: Evursua Kitten Sweater
Another way to help keep your kitten warm is through kitten clothes. A nice sweater will go a long way towards helping the little one deal with the cold especially in very cold weather.
When shopping for these clothes, the fit is everything. Too tight and the kitten will hate it. Too loose and you will miss out on the warming benefits. Just follow provided measuring guidelines to pick out the perfect size for your kitten.
The material also matters a lot. You want to settle for something that is soft, warm, and still breathable. Durability may not matter too much especially with very young kittens as they will soon outgrow the clothes. However, it is worth considering for more mature kittens heading into adulthood.
With this in mind, polyester, cotton, and knitted wool are perfect for kittens.
39. Paw Balm
- SOOTHE, MOISTURIZE & PROTECT DRY & ROUGH PAWS: Dried out, cracked & crusty paw pads are uncomfortable for your pet & can...
- MADE WITH ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: No SECRET ingredients, our balm is 100% USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC PRODUCT TO FOOD STANDARDS...
- NATURAL, NON TOXIC & HYPOALLERGENIC FORMULA: The purity of our ingredients makes it an excellent choice for pets with...
We recommend: Bodhi USDA Certified Paw Balm for Cats and Dogs
Outdoor kittens often have paw issues including dryness and cracking from all the exposure to things like dirt, gravel, and hard pavements. Paw balm helps soothe any irritation and restore damaged paw skin. The kitten may also need the balm during cold weather where paws take a huge hit.
40. Essential Oil Diffuser
- Compact Size for Space-saving: Without occupying much space, you can easily place this palm sized aromatherapy diffuser...
- 2 Misting Modes: You can set the deffusor to intermittent mist (6-8 hrs working time) that diffuser mists and pauses...
- PP Material and Cool Mist: Using PP material, this diffuser disperses a comfortable stream of room-temperature mist,...
We recommend: InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser
These can be used not only for essential oils but also pheromones and calming compounds like melatonin to help calm your new kitten down. They are a great alternative to sprays.
Essential oils and diffusers also come in handy as a way to deal with fleas and other external parasites both on the kitten and hiding in your home. This is because the bugs are usually irritated and repelled by the scents.
41. Cat Leash
- 2 Pack Cat Leashes: With simple & cool style and lightweight design, this classical and durable leash is super suitable...
- 59 Inch--Perfect Length: 59 inch long, this cat leash is a perfect choice to bring balance between freedom and control...
- 360 Degree Swivel Clip: The pet leash features a solid 360°rotating swivel clip which enables quick and safe attachment...
We recommend: Rabitgoo Cat Leash
When your kitten is ready for the great outdoors, the leash will come in very handy. Length is the most important factor to consider. This is because cats are significantly shorter than dogs and therefore need long leashes for the same amount of freedom. 4 to 6 feet is a great range to work with.
42. Cat Tunnels
- BEST WAYS TO PLAY: With 3 spacious tunnels, built-in crinkle crackle paper, peephole & bell toy, this popular tunnel...
- DURABLE PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Made of ultra-strong, tear-resistant polyester wrapped around a sprung-steel frame with...
- COLLAPSIBLE & PORTABLE: With a provided elastic band, our tunnel folds down small in seconds for easy travel and...
We recommend: Prosper Collapsible Cat Tunnel
Cat tunnels are a fantastic way to bring the outdoors inside by giving your kitten a new space to explore. You could spice things up for them by including toys or treats for them to find within their tunnels.
When shopping for these, find something collapsible but stable when set up. The collapsible feature makes it easy for you to put away when the cat is not using it. The stability on the other hand makes sure that the kitten is safe when they are running around and playing inside.
43. Cat Trees
- ROOMY AND ENJOYABLE: 2 nicely cushioned and large platforms with raised edging for your fur babies to sit on and look...
- STURDY AND STABLE: Super solid construction, well balanced design, strong base, cats can easily and safely leap on or...
- QUALITY PLUSH COVERING: The cat tower is composed of good quality plush material, which is very soft and comfortable,...
We recommend: BEWISHOME Cat Tree
Another way to bring the outdoors indoors is through a cat tree. Kittens are naturally gifted climbers. They are also very curious and love to explore new spaces. By getting a cat tree, you not only entertain but also physically engage and challenge the little furball.
The size and complexity of the cat tree depends on your preferences and priorities. For young kittens, trees with fewer levels and staircase designs to help the little kitten are ideal. However, for older ones you can get higher sets with more accessories including hiding nooks, hanging toys, and even hammocks.
44. Scalp Massager
We recommend: MESINURS Cat Electric Head Massager
Unlike adult cats, kittens readily welcome physical contact. A great way to indulge this need while also calming your kitten down is through a massager. This reminds them of the sensation of being pet and groomed by their mothers when they were younger.
You could go for a simple telescoping massager made either from metal or even silicone. Another option is to go all out on a full on, electric massager. These are definitely worth the extra investment for the look of pure satisfaction and joy your kitten will have as you use it on them.
45. Automated Food Dispenser
- Flexible Meal Schedule: Iseebiz automatic cat or dog feeders up to 4 meals daily with 1-39 portions customized healthy...
- Personalized Recordings: Press and hold the voice recording button on the auto pet feeder panel to create your own 10s...
- Dual Power Supply: Power Supply(5V DC adapter) or 3 alkaline D-cell batteries are used(Battery not included). We...
We recommend: Iseebiz Automatic Cat Feeder
As the kitten grows older and more independent, you may consider switching over to automated food dispenser systems. These allow you to keep your cat fed when you are away for work or for errands.
There are generally two types of automated cat feeders.
The first uses gravity where dry kibble drops to replace what the kitten has eaten. This is more convenient as no power or programming is needed. However, there is always the risk that the kitten will end up eating too much.
The second option is an electric feeder. These allow you to program portions and food timing. Some even allow you to talk to your kitten while you are away.
46. Pet Water Fountain
- 😻【New added LED water level window 】2.4L water capacity is ideal for pets small to Medium sized Pets. You can...
- 😻【Healthier stainless steel plate】 Based on customer feedback, we upgraded the plate. It is healthier than...
- 😻【Ultra Quiet & Low Consumption Pump】 Our pet water fountain is very quiet (measured below 40dB) and low...
We recommend: Parner Stainless Steel Water Fountain
Kittens instinctively respond better to moving water as a source of hydration as it is less likely to be contaminated. If you notice your kitty isn’t drinking what you put for them in the bowl, you may want to consider a water fountain.
47. Kitten Hammock Or Perch
- ฅ Reliable - Provides a 360° sunbathing cat shelves for cats, 3" Giant suction and 2mm thicker Stainless Steel cable...
- ฅ Advanced material - PEFUNY cat window perch is a perfect cat resting seat that the frame use of advanced pipes,...
- ฅ Tough and easy to handle - Removable Outdoor and Rugged Fabric Mat, More tough, quick-drying and easy to maintain.
We recommend: Pefuny Cat Window Perch
Another way to prevent cabin fever for indoor cats is by investing in a window hammock or perch. These are usually suction-based so make sure to get the right one based on your kitten’s size and weight. That way they don’t fall and get hurt while trying to relax and grab a nice view.
In order to gauge the quality of construction and the estimated weight capacity for a hammock or perch that you are interested in, take a closer look at the reviews. These give you the best perspective on what to expect so don’t end up getting surprised when you set up and your kitten uses the perch.
48. Pet Vacuum
- EVERY PURCHASE SAVES PETS. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- SWIVEL STEERING FOR MAXIMUM MANEUVERABILITY. Makes cleaning around furniture and other obstacles easy.
- TRIPLE ACTION BRUSH ROLL. Loosens, lifts and removes embedded pet hair.
We recommend: Bissell Cleanview Swivel Upright Pet Vacuum
Unfortunately, even with good grooming practices and high quality tools, shedding may still happen. You will find the odd collection of fur on this end of your favorite couch or that corner of the carpet.
Investing in a pet vacuum is awesome as it helps you get rid of these for a clean home. Pet vacuums are designed to pick up the fur and dander that regular vacuums would leave behind. Some even include special attachments to brush any fur that may be sticking to fibers on upholstery or carpeting.
49. Pet Towel
- LIGHT WEIGHT, SUPER ABSORBANT and QUICK DRYING - Highest Quality, Luxuriously Soft, Maximum Water Absorbent Microfiber...
- KEEPS YOUR FRIEND WARM and COSEY - After a bath or walk in the rain.
- EASY to USE and FASTEN SECURELY - Simply wrap around and fasten it in the neck and under your dog's belly with hook and...
We recommend: CATSMORY Microfiber Robe Towel
This is one of those accessories you will not know you need until you actually do and then you realize you don’t actually have one anywhere. Whether or not you plan on washing your kitten yourself every few weeks, a dedicated towel is something you should definitely have.
Go for something absorbent enough to dry the kitten while still being thick enough to keep them warm if need be. That way, whether it is after a shower or they ran out and got rained on, you have something to swaddle them in.
50. Food And Water Bowls
- NOVEL DESIGN: 0-15° tilt and comfortable 7cm raised stand design protects the cervical vertebrae, double bowl design is...
- AUTOMATIC WATER SUPPLY: Siphon principle, stable control of water level, automatic water supply, 20oz reasonable water...
- SAFETY and SECURITY: Food grade PP bowl, food grade PET level, your pet's safety is the same as mine.
We recommend: Marchul Gravity Water and Food Bowls
In addition to the food, you also have to get bowls in which to serve your new kitten. There are many different options out there with different cool features to offer.
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a food bowl and water bowl for a kitten is the material. Stainless steel and porcelain last the longest and have the lowest risk of contaminating the food with chemicals. Plastic on the other hand is more affordable
Another important thing to consider when shopping for bowls for the little one is the size and height. Remember that they are often very tiny and may not be able to reach even standard bowls. If possible, get them flat and low-lying bowls especially during the first two months of life. If yours is larger, you can get them the standard pet bowls.
51. Wet Kitten Food
- Twenty-Four (24) 3 oz. Boxes - Purina Fancy Feast Grain Free Pate Wet Kitten Food Variety Pack, Kitten Classic Pate...
- 100 percent complete and balanced nutrition for kittens. Real poultry or seafood is the number 1 ingredient
- Specially formulated for growing kittens. Delicious taste kittens love
We recommend: Purina Fancy Feast Kitten Classic Pate Collection
Your kitten will need a balanced diet for survival and optimal growth and development. This usually includes meals rich in proteins for muscle development, carbs for energy, and essential micronutrients.
Wet kitten food is a great place to start especially with kittens younger than 8 weeks old but also with the older ones. The food is often easier for them to chew on and tends to be more flavorful than dry kibble.
When shopping for wet kitten food, prioritize brands that use natural ingredients and few, if any, chemical additives.
Should Kittens Sleep In The Dark? Kittens can and should sleep in the dark. They may seem small and fragile but they have surprisingly good eyesight even in the dark should they need to move around. So leave the lights off so your new kitty can enjoy some shut eye without light pollution waking them up during the night.
Should A Kitten Sleep With You? It is best for kittens to sleep alone especially during the first few days to weeks. This is because they may carry parasites both internally and externally that could easily be transmitted to you or your family. Once the kitty is settled in, comfortable, and up to date with their deworming and shots, you could let them onto the bed if you wish to.
Is It Better To Get 1 Or 2 Kittens? Two kittens are always better than one especially for busy cat owners. This is because those first few months of their lives are crucial for their social development. The super playful kittens will need attention and companionship whenever they are awake. So if you can’t do it all yourself it is best to have 2 together for the company and for the much-needed playmate.