Onions are a popular vegetable that can be found in almost every meal. This gives flavor to food and is high in nutrients. Onions have a wide range of health benefits for humans. However, are onions safe for dogs to eat?
We understand your concern as it is often a great idea to ask questions about all and any human food before giving them to your pooch as a responsible fur parent. One small bite can bring your doggie to harm, so it’s best to know early.
Onions are harmful to dogs, and you must never feed them even tiny amounts of this veggie. Onions include a toxin, thiosulfate, known to pose major health problems in dogs. If you have accidentally fed your doggie some onions, one of the many things you can do is to use activated charcoal to absorb the toxin.
Keep reading this article to find out about these methods. Let’s first see how much harm an onion can do to a dog depending on its amount and whether it may cause them seizures or not.
How Much Harm Can An Onion Cause A Dog?
Onions are among the most harmful food for your canines, and if not treated immediately, they can cause anemia, which can lead to death. If onions are eaten in any form, whether fried, cooked, or powdered, they can cause harm to your pooch.
Now, we will be discussing if a small bite of onion may kill your dog or if it can cause seizures and other health problems.
How Much Onion Is Toxic To Dogs?
Allium toxicosis affects your canine buddy, with approximately 33 to 66 lbs of onions causing clinically significant hematologic changes in your dog. The toxicity of any harmful food or plant to your furry friend is determined by the following factors:
- Health condition
Is It Possible For A Small Bit Of Onion To Kill My Dog?
A small bite of onion may not be harmful if taken in moderation. The dosage, as with other toxins, is the deciding factor.
Nevertheless, you should keep an eye on your doggie for the following symptoms and take it to the vet as soon as possible if any of them appear during the next 48 to 72 hours:
Can Onions Cause Seizures In Dogs?
Onions may not cause seizures in dogs. However, onions contain thiosulfate, a compound that causes oxidative damage to red blood cells, leading to hemolytic anemia. The severity of anemia is mainly determined by the amount of onion consumed, although even small amounts of onion can cause serious reactions in your pooch.
What Will Happen After My Dog Ate An Onion?
After your furry pet has eaten an onion, it’s possible that you won’t notice any symptoms right away, as symptoms normally appear a few hours or even days after eating it.
Your doggie could suffer an upset stomach or possibly anemia. The Allium family, which onions originate from, including spring onions, is toxic.
Symptoms vary according to the number of onions eaten, your dog’s size, and the length of time the onions were consumed. We’ll go over the specifics of onion poisoning in this section.
How Long Does It Take For A Dog To Get Onion Poisoning?
Onion poisoning can strike within 24 hours, but it might take up to 7 days for symptoms to appear after the food has been consumed. Keep in mind that onion consumption can build up over time.
Onion is found in a variety of dishes, includinginfant food. Some snacks or table leftovers may contain onion, which you may not be aware of.
How Do I Know If My Dog Has Onion Poisoning?
It will be easier to diagnose if you know your dog has consumed a product containing onions. Signs of hemolytic anemia will most certainly be present on a blood test if your pooch is already showing any signs of lethargy or weakness. This may also aid in determining the seriousness of the condition.
Urinalysis may reveal increased hemoglobin levels in your doggie’s urine. Even before there is a significant drop in red blood cells, Heinz-body anemia may be seen on a blood smear examination. Other indications include a scent of onions on your dog’s breath, diarrhea, and vomiting with undigested bits.
How Long Would It Take My Dog To Recover From Onion Poisoning?
Depending on the overall health of your furry pet, they can usually recover from onion poisoning in 3 to 7 days. However, keep in mind that the length of time it takes for a dog to recover from food poisoning varies depending on the amount of food consumed, physical wellbeing, and breed.
What Should You Do If Your Dog Ate Onions?
There are different actions to consider based on how much onion your canine buddy ate. If your dog simply ate only a few slices of onion, or if your dog ate a few onion bits that fell to the floor when you were chopping onions, there may be no need for additional treatment.
If your dog ate a large number of onions by accident, there are a few things you should think about:
Remove The Onions From The Dog
Inducing vomiting is the greatest and fastest way to get onions out of your pooch. It’s not something that every fur parent likes to do, but it is sometimes essential. You’ll be able to get more onions out if you work quickly. Do it as early as possible.
To make your dog vomit, simply press on the back of their throats till they vomit. Informing you that this is an extremely horrible experience, but I believe this is better to do it this way rather than to allow them to suffer even more later.
Prevent Access To Onions
Make sure your dog doesn’t eat any more onions or onion products. It is critical to consume as little food as possible. While you’re doing this, clean up any mess on the ground or goods that are easily accessible on surfaces, and keep your dog out of the way.
Know The Details
Calculate how much onion your pooch has consumed and when it occurred. It’s crucial to figure out exactly how much onion your dog ate so that the vet may use that information along with your dog’s body weight to determine whether or not this is a dangerous dose.
It’s also a good idea to try to figure out when the onion was eaten since this will help the vet choose the best course of action for your dog.
Absorb The Onion Toxin In Your Dog
Activated charcoal is the most effective approach to absorb onion toxin before your pet’s body does. Be prepared that dogs will not be delighted about eating activated charcoal.
If you don’t have any activated charcoal on hand, there is another option. Take a piece of bread and toast it in the toaster. Toast the bread until it is a charred dark black color. It’s better if it’s burned. Dogs are understandably hesitant to eat this heavily toasted piece of bread.
Take Your Dog To The Veterinarian
The third step can often be skipped if you can get to your local veterinarian quickly. Regardless of whether you complete the first four steps, you should bring your dog to the veterinarian. Your vet will take all necessary measures to remove the remaining poisons from your dog’s stomach.
The animal hospital will also have alternative means of treatment for severe cases or chronic exposure to onion poisoning. Your dog will almost always require a blood transfusion or liver therapy in extreme situations. The possibility of developing anemia necessitates ongoing monitoring and care.
Allow Your Dog To Rest
Your pooch will be fatigued, particularly if they have to go through the process of removing onion toxins from their stomach. This indicates that taking them on runs and other activities is not a good idea.
Make sure they have enough water in their system to be hydrated. It aids the recovery from any foreign toxin or poison.
Your veterinarian should be able to provide you with further recovery advice based on your specific situation. Don’t be concerned; your doggie will be okay in no time!