Seek Your Vet For Help
Once you’ve been able to put the remnants of the corn cob out of your pooch’s reach, the next course of action is get on the phone, and explain the situation to your vet.
Gastrointestinal blockage caused by a dog ingesting a cooked corn cob, or any other foreign object for that matter, is an emergency situation that requires urgent and professional medical attention.
Upon arriving at the vet’s office, a series of medical and physical tests will be carried out to determine the severity of the condition.
And treatment for a dog eating cooked corn cob will typically depend on where the cob is located in the pooch’s gut, as well as the amount of corn cob that has been ingested.
In some cases, the vet will suggest that you wait and allow the dog to excrete the ingested chunks of corn cob naturally, while monitoring the pooch for signs of intestinal obstruction such as vomiting, panic, lethargy, and a lack of toilet activity.
However, if the swallowed corn cob is considerably large, and poses an imminent danger to the pooch, surgery or special instruments inserted into the dog’s mouth or rectum may be needed to extract the said corn cob.
Should You Induce Vomiting If Your Dog Ate A Corn Cob?
Trying to induce vomiting on your own, if your dog has eaten corn cob isn’t advisable unless specifically instructed by a vet.
If a dog attempts to vomit swallowed corn cob, the cob may become lodged in the pooch’s throat, and this poses a more imminent danger compared to when the cob is in the pooch’s guts.