The best outdoor dog toilet is Synturfmats Dog Potty Patch.
Potty training your pooch is not always as hard as it seems. You just need the right tools with you. The best outdoor dog toilet, in this case, is a great place to start, and to help you with your shopping, here are the seven portable loo options on the market for your beloved pooch.
#1 Synturfmats Dog Potty Patch
- New designed 3-Layer Pet Indoor or Outdoor Training Pad Options for Different Kinds of Dog Breeds
- Three layer system with drawer and plastic insert which allows the liquid to drain
- Portable, easy to clean, just rinse with soapy water
One way to get your dog comfortable with potty training is by making the process as natural and familiar for them as possible. That is exactly what you have to look forward to with the top layer of this tri-layer potty patch. It features an artificial faux grass design to help your dog feel more comfortable and also adds a great touch to your outdoor space.
The second layer of this pet potty is a grid tray for draining the pee. This helps keep the synthetic grass layer nice and dry. You, therefore, do not have to worry about your pooch running around wet and stinky after their potty break. There is also better airflow with this design which significantly odors.
Finally, you have the last layer, which is a collecting base tray where all the liquid pools for easy disposal. The best part is that it is made from waterproof plastic, which adds durability and convenience during cleaning, and it does not hold on to the stink.
One of the best perks you have to look forward to with this pick is the versatility in terms of offering both indoor and outdoor use. It is, therefore, one of the best choices out there for potty training, as you can ensure consistency by moving it indoors or outside as needed. The ease of cleaning and quality construction also means that it will be around long enough to serve you and your dog for a very long time.
- This potty patch is large in size, measuring 20 x30 x1.25, and suitable for most dog breeds.
- It is made of eco-friendly material with a PP Base tray and PE synthetic grass, which makes it durable and user-friendly.
- It comes in a 3-layer design with a plastic drawer under the turf, which makes it easy to drain doggie waste.
- The grass is realistic and comfy for your pup, and once it is used up, you can easily replace the top layer without having to throw out the whole item.
- It is easy to clean as all you need is some soapy water and a water rinse to keep it fresh and clean.
- Some pups do not like the turf as it is somewhat thicker than real grass, making it uncomfortable for them.
- The turf doesn’t always fully drain the liquid into the drawer and ends up staying wet after some time.
#2 Blyss Pets Klean Paws Indoor Dog Potty
- ♥ KEEPS PAWS DRY ♥ - high quality perforated grate will allow pee to flow directly below your pets feet into the...
- ♥ NO MORE TORN PUPPY PADS ♥ - easy snap on/off grate system will prevent teething puppies from getting to training...
- ♥ SAVE MONEY ON PADS ♥ - since your puppies paws will be dry and they can’t chew them up, you can use pads longer....
Our top budget pick has what is a pretty standard dual-layer design with a grate and a collection tray. The grate features pet-friendly plastic material that offers a comfortable yet steady surface for your dog, so they don’t feel nervous or unsafe when it is time to answer nature’s calls. Cleaning up afterward is very easy as all you have to do is to dispose of the urine from the tray and clean both parts with soap and water, and it is good as new.
With these multilayer setups where a urine collection tray is involved, there is always the fear of having leaks or spills onto your yard or patio flooring. And wouldn’t this be ironic that after all that training, you still end up with potty accidents? That is what the secure snap fastening on this outdoor potty exists to help prevent. So, you don’t have to tiptoe to the toilet to empty it while being afraid of accidental spillage. Just keep it upright, and you should be safe for the trip.
Your dog’s safety is also a priority with this potty’s design, and you will therefore appreciate the presence of the anti-skid rubber floor pads. Your dog can therefore hop on and off safely without slipping and getting hurt. You also do not have to worry about any pee spills from such accidents either. This will come in handy if you are planning on setting up on your patio or in a kennel outside the house.
What’s not to love about this potty, from the ease of use to the dog safety-centered design? So if you are shopping for an outdoor dog toilet on a budget, then this is an option that will definitely not disappoint with all its perks and the even more awesome price point.
- This indoor dog potty measures 21.5 x 1.25 x 16.5 inches and is lightweight at 1.91 lbs, making it portable and suitable for small doggie breeds.
- Comes in a 3-layer design with a top scratch-proof grate that drains liquid into the middle pad layer and a bottom tray layer to catch any other waste.
- The bottom tray helps to keep your floors and surfaces clean of any doggie waste.
- The potty is easy to clean as the pad is disposable, and the rest of it is easy to clean with soap and water.
- The top grate keeps your pup’s paws clean and dry as the water drains into the lower layers.
- Fecal matter gets stuck between the grate holes, and this causes a mess and requires more regular cleaning.
- The grate does not fit tightly, which means your pups can access the pad and tear it.
#3 Petmaker Artificial Grass Bathroom Mat
- DOG GRASS PAD WITH TRAY - This artificial turf dog pee pad provides a sanitary place for your pet to relieve themselves...
- EASY PUPPY TRAINING - Potty training your new best friend just got easier, even if you live in an apartment or work long...
- THREE-LAYER SYSTEM - The artificial pet grass pee pad sits on top of a secure plastic drainage insert that allows liquid...
The Petmaker Artificial Grass portable dog loo is similar to our top pick with its tri-layer design. The three are the top synthetic grass level, the grid, and a collection tray. The dog will be more drawn to the natural landscape that resembles real grass and therefore is more inclined to make use of it.
The design also allows the potty to blend in with your yard aesthetic. The grid and collection trays, on the other hand, offer you the benefit of easy urine disposal and quick-wash materials.
What makes it stand out is the extra antimicrobial reinforcement on the synthetic grass layer of this potty. In addition to making the toilet safe for your dog, this goes a long way to help with odor reduction. Therefore, you can just as easily use it indoors without turning your home into a stink bomb aftermath.
This alternative is definitely worth considering if you want something similar to our top pick in terms of general design and versatility offered.
- This bathroom mat measures 25 x 20 x 1.25, comes in a combination of green and black colors, and is made of synthetic grass turf on a plastic tray and an insert.
- Has an artificial grass dog mat top layer, which is easy to clean and maintain and helps to drain liquid into the lower layers.
- Has a plastic insert that helps to drain liquid while helping to keep the grass turf dry and odor-free.
- It has a plastic tray that holds extra waste and helps to keep your surfaces clean and dry.
- It is perfect for pup training and is easy to clean with some soap and water.
- The bathroom mat has a strong chemical smell, which puts off some pups and pup owners.
- Some pup owners feel they need to add extra pads in the insert to help absorb liquid.
#4 Richell Paw Trax Mesh Training Tray
- The snap-in frame holds the doggy pad firmly in place and keeps dogs from chewing the pads
- The tray provides superior protection to floor surfaces when used with doggy pad
- Comes in three colors to fit your dog's personality; choose from brown, green and pink
This training tray from Richell employs a unique tri-layer. At the very top is a grid where your dog will sit and do the deed. It is designed to be soft yet firm for a steady and secure surface which is particularly useful on yard surfaces that may not be very stable.
The mesh design also allows airflow and helps keep both the surface and your dog nice and dry. The second layer is where the removable absorbent Paw Trax pads go. You will need to regularly replace these, but they are definitely easier to work with for dog toilets set up outside the house than litter filling or pour-out trays.
Finally, you have a collection tray to catch any excess pee and to use directly as a pour-out option if you run out of pads or simply choose not to use them. It is an awesome feature, as the option to leave out the pads makes maintenance costs a lot lower for you in the long run.
What makes this a worthy alternative is how easy it is to maintain whether you choose to use the absorbent pads or not.
- This training tray measures 25.2 x 18.9 x 1.6 inches and fits absorbent pads of 17.7 x 23.6 inches, is available in brown, green or pink and is suitable for pups at all life stages.
- Has a mesh snap-in frame that holds the pad in place while also helping to drain doggie liquid.
- Has a bottom layer tray that holds waste and also helps to keep your surfaces clean.
- The training tray is scratch-proof, which means your pups will not destroy the absorbing pad.
- It is durable and easy to clean using soap and water after use.
- The mesh layer is thin and does not keep pup paws clean as they reach the pad while stepping on it.
- If the plastic parts break off, they can pose a choking hazard for your pup.
#5 PetSafe Pet Loo Portable Indoor/Outdoor Dog Potty
- PEACE OF MIND: Great for working pet parents or those that live in apartments and want to train the dog to use the...
- LESS ODOR: The covered waste bin and Wee Sponge powder work together to trap smells and help keep the potty odor-free....
- CONVENIENT CLEAN-UP: The Pee-Pod slides out of the base and the Wee Sponge powder turns the urine into a gel on contact...
On the surface level, this is just another synthetic grass outdoor dog potty. So, other than its close resemblance to real grass, what is it that sets it apart as an alternative worth your consideration when shopping for your pooch? The answer is the disposable pee pod used.
This unique feature has the urine from the top layer directed through the grooved second layer into a pod. This thus keeps the top layer dry and muffles the smell that would be coming from the layer below. You can also easily remove this compact pod and dispose of the contents. This is definitely a whole lot more convenient than carrying a whole tray from your yard to your disposal spot, but you will need to empty the pod out more frequently.
This dog potty also boasts the Wee Sponge powder. This compound binds the urine and its stinky fumes forming an odorless gel. For this reason, you can have the loo indoors if you wish or near outdoor living spaces, so your dog doesn’t have to go too far out into the yard for some potty time.
No one wants a stinky dog potty, whether indoors or outdoors, which is why this one definitely deserves a spot on our top 7 list. And if you really want something easy to maintain and clean out, then this is worth considering as an option.
- This large dog potty measures 33 x 5 x 33 inches and weighs 12.83 lbs, suitable for large dog breeds.
- The potty is made of polyethylene terephthalate plastic, which helps to reduce odor and is easy to clean using soap and water.
- It has a synthetic grass mat that is comfy for pups and is easily cleaned with some water after use.
- There is a sliding Pee-Pod, which is lined with a Wee Sponge powder, which turns liquid into gel, making it easy to dispose of waste.
- It is suitable for potty training, sick or aging doggies, and works for small spaces like apartments, RVs, camping sites, or patios.
- The clips keeping the grass turf in place are not deemed to be secure as expected because the potty gets displaced during use.
- The potty has a strong chemical smell that takes extra cleaning to get rid of.
#6 DogCharge Indoor Dog Potty Tray
The DogCharge Indoor Dog Potty Tray is unlike any of the other models reviewed on our top list with its walled-off design. It is like a potty mat and litter box combination and offers you the best of both worlds. The protective wall helps keep the dog safe from slipping off, making it ideal for puppies in potty training.
You can also very easily create a nice private nook in your garden or yard space for the dog as opposed to having it sticking out in the open. This design also helps minimize the incidences of leaks. The walls also make it easy to carry the potty around with less chance of spilling the contents of the tray.
The tray mat design with the grid and collecting tray, on the other hand, offers the benefits of easy maintenance and minimizing odor. You also have the option of using absorbent pads that further reduce the stink and make it easier for you to clear out the dog toilet.
The walled-off design is the standout feature, which makes this toilet a definite contender, especially when it comes to shopping for pups or potty-anxious dogs that need a little more comfort and support.
- This potty tray measures 22.6 x 17.77 x 6.1 inches, comes in four colors you can choose from, and is suitable for smaller doggie breeds.
- This tray is made of eco-friendly and sturdy PP material and does not contain harsh chemicals, which can affect your pup.
- It has a dog tray with raised walls, which makes it comfortable for your pup and helps to hold doggie waste while keeping your floor surfaces clean.
- It has a no-swing tray net or grate, which easily snaps into place and does not move around while your pup is using it.
- It holds pads in between the grates that are optional and disposable, and this helps to prevent leaks and holds liquid as needed.
- Some pups pull off the grate and rip or tear the pad.
- Some doggies do not like the raised tray and end up not using it.
#7 PuppyGoHere Dog Litter Pan Litter Box
- SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR DOGS: This dog litter pan is designed in such a manner that it can be used with both paper litter...
- GREAT ALTERNATIVES FOR WORKING FAMILIES: The dog litter tray is a great alternative for those who are living in an...
- OPEN TOP LITTER PAN: Open top litter pan to ensure healthy usage (enclosed spaces might cause behavior issues). Plus,...
As suggested in the name, this is pretty much a simple litter box with a basic basin design. It is a versatile piece that is ideal if you have multiple pets, whether they are all dogs or different species. The simple litter box basin is particularly popular with puppies and small breed dogs for the fit. The high-quality material used also makes it weather-resistant, so you can leave it outside your house for your pets to use when they are out playing.
With this design of outdoor toilets, you will have to invest in litter box filling material or absorbent pads. These are usually a lot more efficient at odor minimization than open collection trays. They are also easier to maintain as all you have to do is swap out the pad or filler regularly and give the box a simple clean, and you are good to go.
If you have small-breed dogs or puppies that you would like to potty train, this alternative has a lot to offer in its simplicity. It is also easy to maintain, which makes your job during the training a lot easier.
- This lightweight litter box weighs just 1 lb and measures 24 x 20 x 5 inches, and it is available in 3 sizes and 5 colors that you can choose from.
- Comes with raised walls and a low entry/exit point, which holds pups of up to 20 lbs and helps them easily get on and off the litter box.
- It is made of durable toxic-free plastic, which does not buckle under the weight of dry or wet litter.
- It is suitable for recovering doggies and potty training and is perfect for apartment living.
- It is easy to clean with soap and water.
- The raised entry-exit point is dangerous for pets and can also cause them to trip and spill the litter box contents.
- The litter box comes with instructions, meaning that both training and patience are required before your pup starts using it.
Outdoor Dog Toilets Buyer’s Guide
Picking the right toilet for your dog is something you cannot afford to take lightly. Your choice will determine a lot, from how willing they are to comply with the training to their own safety while using it. It also means a lot to you as it determines the value of your investment, how easy it will be for you to maintain, and the overall impact on your hygienic standards.
With so much at stake, you cannot afford to mess up. And to help you out, here are three key things you need to know in order to pick the best potty.
Ease Of Clean-Up; Collection Trays VS Absorbent Pads
Collection trays are generally cheaper when it comes to the cost of maintenance. They are also pretty easy to clean, especially with waterproof material construction, as all you need is soap, a brush, and some water. However, they require clearing out more frequently as they can get stinky really fast.
Absorbent pads, on the other hand, are expensive to maintain yet offer the benefit of further minimizing the odors. They can also stay in the potty for longer, which means you don’t have to clean the toilet as often.
A great outdoor toilet is one that you can use both inside and outside. Unless, of course, you do not mind buying two toilets for your dog.
If this versatility and the spared cash are a priority for you, it is important to consider the flexibility in terms of design, allowing use in any setup. Does it have odor-reduction features? Does it fit in with your indoor space as well as your outdoor space? Is it easily portable? If the answer in all instances is a resounding yes, then that is a model worth looking deeper into.
As a bonus, a dog potty with synthetic grass that has a close resemblance to real grass will get your dog very much more comfortable using it. Dogs are inclined to be outdoors and in contact with nature. With a dog potty that resembles real grass, it creates an environment that your dog will be used to and feel natural to do its business on the dog potty.
Outdoor dog toilets are exposed to the elements, including direct sunlight and additional environmental moisture, whether it is rain the humidity. You need something that can stand strong for a long time in such conditions without falling apart.
The best option is anything that uses high-quality synthetic materials, in which case being waterproof is non-negotiable, and UV resistance is always a bonus worth celebrating.
Our number one choice stands out with its versatility and all-natural look of synthetic grass with the texture of real grass. You can use it indoors or outdoors. You can use it for potty training or on a fully-trained pooch. And the best part is that it is built to last with easy maintenance and aesthetic appeal to sweeten the deal. So is it worth all the hype? Absolutely.
Whether you are shopping for your very first outdoor dog toilet or a replacement for an old set, you came to the right place. With all that you have learned about the top picks on the market and all the special considerations that you need to make, it should be a lot easier for you to make the best decision for both yourself and your best friend.