The best Royal Canin dog food is Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Golden Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food.
Dog owners often wonder if they are feeding their canine companions the right food. Especially if you are a first-time dog owner or have no knowledge about what constitutes a balanced diet for your dog, deciding on your dog’s meal can be a challenge.
In such cases, entrusting your dog’s nutrition to a dependable Dog food brand like the Royal Canin is paramount. In this article, we will help you make an informed decision easily by guiding you through the nutritional facts of the 11 best Royal Canin dog foods and how they will support your dog’s growth and health.
#1 Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Golden Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
- FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED GOLDEN RETRIEVERS: Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the...
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Unique kibble is designed for a Golden Retriever’s straight muzzle and scissor bite to encourage...
- SKIN AND COAT: Reinforces the skin barrier with essential nutrients to support healthy skin and coat
Proper nutrition supports all the core systems of your dog’s body including the heart and skin. Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult dry dog food has all your dog needs for proper growth and health.
Prepared for adult Golden Retrievers (15 months and above), the product has nutrients fit for your Dog’s heart health including EPA, DHA, and Taurine. It’s also enriched to keep the Golden’s beautiful double coat healthy and shining.
The calorie and fat contents are precisely distributed so that every meal gives your dog what it needs to maintain the recommended weight for a medium-sized dog breed. The kibbles are designed to facilitate proper chewing for the Golden’s straight muzzle.
The Golden Retriever is famous for its golden double coat. Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult dry dog food sustains this coat so it stays healthy and shiny. In addition, the product is enriched with nutrients that are key to your dog’s heart health.
- Enriched with EPA, DHA and Taurine.
- Healthy caloric and fat content.
- Kibble shaped for easier chewing.
#2 Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Medium Adult Dry Dog Food
- MEDIUM BREED DOG FOOD: Royal Canin Medium Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is precise nutrition specifically made for dogs 1–7...
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: A blend of prebiotics and antioxidants for dogs supports natural defenses for immune support
- SKIN AND COAT HEALTH: Optimal levels of EPA and DHA maintain healthy skin and a healthy dog coat
Overfed or underfed dogs are unhealthy. It is important to feed your dog with the right amounts in quality and quantity. And if that happens at the lowest cost, the better.
Royal Canin Medium Adult dry dog food is prepared to ensure that dogs aged between 1 to 7 years and with a weight ranging between 23 lbs to 55 lbs are fed with the right nutrients. You get to choose between a 6-pound, 17-pound, or 30-pound package, depending on your budget.
Enriched with DHA and EPA, the product is perfect for your dog’s skin and heart health. Besides, the food is also enriched with antioxidants to support your dog’s immune system. The added fiber and prebiotics are beneficial for healthy digestion. The kibbles’ size, shape, and flavor are redesigned to entice your dog’s appetite and aid in easy chewing.
Buying dog food can strain your budget. But Royal Canin Medium Adult dry dog food is packaged to allow you to buy the amount that fits your budget. Your dog can enjoy chewing kibbles that are designed and flavored to its liking and enriched with proper nutrients for its health.
- Budget-conscious packaging.
- Added nutrients for healthy skin and heart.
- Fiber and prebiotics for healthy digestion.
- Redesigned kibble size, shape and flavor.
#3 Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition For Small Adult
- SMALL BREED DOG FOOD: Royal Canin Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is precise nutrition specifically made for small dogs...
- WEIGHT MAINTENANCE: L-carnitine helps maintain a healthy weight, while helping to meet the high energy needs of small...
- SKIN AND COAT HEALTH: Optimal levels of fatty acids like EPA and DHA support skin and a healthy dog coat
The Royal Canin Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is intended to fulfill the specific nutritional requirements of your small dog breed, as it needs calories for every pound of bodyweight more than that of larger dogs.
It is ideal for dogs weighing around 9 to 22 lbs and aged ten months to 8 years.
L-carnitine aids in fat metabolism, allowing your dog to stay at a healthy weight. Your dog’s skin will be healthy and shiny with the right amount of DHA and EPA.
Additionally, improved taste aids in satisfying even the pickiest eaters. Mix it together with your dog’s favorite wet dog food to provide some variety to his bowl.
If you have a dog who is particular about what goes into its bowl, you might want to give this a try. It contains a small, highly appealing kibble that is optimized for miniature jaws, which is something we loved about it.
- Meets the high energy needs of small breeds.
- Improves skin health and promotes a healthier dog coat.
- Enhanced palatable dog food wafers in either chicken or vegetable flavors.
- Includes fiber-rich ingredients, such as beet pulp and brown rice.
- Contains amino acids like L-carnitine.
#4 Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition For Small Puppy
- FORMULATED FOR SMALL BREED PUPPIES: Royal Canin Small Puppy Dog Food (formerly Mini Puppy) is tailor-made for puppies up...
- HEALTHY ENERGY: Meets the high energy needs of small breed dogs during their short, intense growth period
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Exclusive small kibble size designed for little dogs with small jaws and picky appetites
Small Puppy Dry Dog Food from Royal Canin is specially formulated for your small dog’s proper growth and development. It contains all of the proteins, minerals, and vitamins that pups require as they develop.
It is also designed for puppies up to 10 months old who will weigh between 9 lbs to 22 lbs as adults.
The small, delicious dog kibble is made for small teeth and fussy eaters while also supporting overall health and well-being. This puppy formula’s highly digested proteins and prebiotic nutrients are gentle on sensitive digestive systems and promote optimal stool quality.
If you’re looking for the best small puppy dry dog food available, this could be the right choice for you. We loved that it didn’t have any artificial colors, preservatives, or strange meat ingredients.
- For young puppies, aging up to 10 months old.
- Intensified energy content.
- Packaged in granule form with proven kibble technology.
- Highly digestible proteins in chicken flavor only.
- Contributes to good stool quality.
#5 Royal Canin Glycobalance Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Diabetic is now Royal Canin Glycobalance
- Balanced fiber blend to moderate your pet's glycemic response and reduce the symptoms of fiber-responsive conditions
- Controlled amounts of fat; Complex carbohydrates that help moderate your dog's blood sugar
Diabetes need not be a death sentence or a condition for the poor quality of life for your dog. You can manage your pet’s condition by feeding it the right food. The Royal Canin Glycobalance (formerly Royal Canin Diabetic) is specifically prepared to meet the nutritional needs of your diabetic canine.
The product is fortified with minerals and vitamins to promote healthy growth in consideration of your dog’s health status. The fiber content is balanced to keep your pet’s glycemic response under control. Besides, specially selected carbohydrates are used to ensure your pet’s blood sugar levels are consistently regulated.
Diabetic canines need special attention when it comes to feeding. Since not every owner has knowledge of proper nutrition for these dogs, the Royal Canin Glycobalance Dry Dog Food gives you a hand by delivering a ready and rightly prepared diabetic product.
- Nutritional balance for diabetic dogs.
- Has the right fiber content.
- Has the right complex carbohydrates for recommended blood sugar.
#6 Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Ultamino Dry Dog Food
- GIANT BREED DOG FOOD: Royal Canin Giant Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is precise dog nutrition specifically made for...
- BONE AND JOINT HEALTH: Glucosamine, chondroitin, and EPA & DHA help support bone and joint health
- VITALITY SUPPORT: An exclusive vitality complex of antioxidants for dogs promotes cellular health
The Royal Canin Giant Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is designed to complement your dog’s imposing appearance and active lifestyle. This giant-breed formula combines glucosamine, chondroitin, and EPA or DHA to maintain bones and joints strong and healthy. A unique antioxidant combination promotes cellular health.
Taurine, a heart-protective vitamin, helps keep huge hearts healthy. A balance of fermentable and non-fermentable fibers, as well as high-quality proteins, assist support normal dog digestive health. Furthermore, the extra-large kibble stimulates chewing, which helps big dogs digest their food properly.
It is rather difficult to find the right size of kibble for your giant dog. With this Royal Canin Giant Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, you’ll be not only able to feed your dog but also provide it with particularly beneficial nutrients tailored to its needs.
- Easy to digest.
- Good value for money.
- Full of nutrition in three different flavors; Chicken, Liver, and Vegetable.
- Supports heart health.
- Promotes cellular health.
#7 Royal Canin Canine Urinary SO Small Dog Dry Dog Food
- Helps dissolve pure struvite stones and helps prevent calcium oxalate stones
- Lowers the risk of crystal formation using RSS methodology for bladder health
- Supports urinary health with an exclusive S/O Index, and creates an environment unfavorable to crystal formation in the...
This gastrointestinal formula has the SO (struvite oxalate) index. This means that it is prepared to support a urinary environment that hinders the development of calcium oxalate and struvite crystals and stones. The formula promotes the dissolution of the stones if already present.
The low magnesium level in the product supports the recommended pH and a low RSS (relative super saturation) both of which serve to inhibit the stones. Your pet will produce more urine which reduces the unhealthy saturation.
The size of Canine Urinary SO kibbles is adapted for small dogs to encourage easy chewing and promote dental health.
A high RSS can cause serious health issues for your pet with the formation of struvite and calcium oxalate crystals and stones. Feeding your dog with Royal Canin Canine Urinary SO promotes urine dilution and supports an overall healthy urinary environment.
- Gastrointestinal formula with SO index.
- Supports recommended pH levels.
- Protects dog from struvite stones.
- Promotes dental health.
#8 Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Multifunction Renal Support + Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Dog Food
This product is a well-balanced complete dog food formula intended to offer support for multiple canine conditions by addressing various nutritional needs in one product. You’ll need the vet’s prescription to use this product for your pet’s dietary management program.
The food is highly palatable and promotes healthy digestion. The proteins in the product are hydrolyzed, implying that they are broken down into manageable quantities so that your dog’s immune system does not react to them. This also preempts nutrient allergy and inflammatory bowel syndrome.
In consultation with your pet’s vet, the Multifunction renal support + hydrolyzed protein product helps you feed your dog with a food choice that has all the nutrients in one bowl. Your dog can easily digest the hydrolyzed proteins with no allergic or inflammatory reactions.
- Well-balanced for multiple nutritional needs.
- Highly palatable and digestible.
- Manageable hydrolyzed proteins.
#9 Royal Canin Canine Coat Care For Small Dogs
- FOR SMALL DOGS WITH DRY COATS: Royal Canin Coat Care Dry Dog Food is formulated for small adult dogs 10 months and older...
- HAIR GROWTH SUPPORT: Omega-3 and -6 fatty acids promote hair growth and nourish dry skin
- COMPLETE AND BALANCED: Optimal levels of tyrosine support coat health and intensify coat color
Royal Canin Canine Coat Care dry dog food is formulated to promote a shiny, smooth coat in your little dog. This food, which is high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, promotes skin and coat health as well as adequate levels of tyrosine, which helps to enhance coat color.
This incredibly tasty complete nutrition dog food promotes a full and healthy coat, offering your dog not only the gift of beauty but also the gift of health. For further skin nourishment, the kibble mix contains a special ingredient – the GLA-rich borage oil.
The results of Royal Canin Canine Coat Care have been proven to be effective. This product, which has been scientifically tested at the Royal Canin kennels, produces a shinier coat after just 28 days of use. It is suited for dogs, weighing up to 22 lbs, that have a dull and coarse coat.
If you’ve tried other techniques to keep your dog’s coat silky and shiny, such as specialized shampoos and continuous brushing, but they haven’t worked, you might want to try this product. We loved that Royal Canin understands that your dog’s coat health is a precise science, beginning with correct nutrition to develop a soft, glossy coat.
- Hair and growth support.
- Enriched with omega-3 and omega-6 amino acids.
- Only available in the original flavor.
- Contains the special GLA-rich borage oil for extra nourishment to both skin and hair.
- Shinier coat in 28 days.
#10 Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein Small Dog Dry Dog Food
- Helps reduce skin and GI reactions that may be a result of sensitivities to common proteins found in pet foods
- Helps minimize risk of reaction with proteins that are broken down to a size that’s less likely to be recognized by...
- Promotes a urinary environment unfavorable to the development of both struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
This veterinary diet is specially prepared for dogs with food sensitivities to proteins and other compounds. The hydrolyzed proteins are in smaller particles and, therefore, easier to digest. This inhibits Gastrointestinal (GI) allergic reactions and the resulting skin allergies.
The food is highly palatable and has a low RSS to promote a healthy urinary environment, thereby preventing the development of struvite and calcium oxalate stones. Kibble size and shape are adapted to favor chewing for small dogs which avoids food clogging between teeth and the risk of tartar buildup.
Dogs that show resistance to proteins or other nutrients can be delicate when it comes to feeding. A special dog food prepared to minimize GI and skin reactions will help you provide your dog’s nutritional needs without worrying about possible health issues.
- Perfect for dogs with food sensitivities.
- Promotes a healthy urinary environment.
- Kibbles adapted for smaller dogs.
#11 Royal Canin Canine Selected Protein Adult PR Dry
The food is a complete and balanced dog formula that is prepared with rabbit meat. Enriched with selected proteins, Royal Canin canine selected protein adult PR is recommended for the nutritional management of dogs with food resistances that cause GI and dermatological allergic reactions.
Your dog’s history of food allergy has to be established before using this product and you need the authorization of your pet’s vet before use. It is highly palatable, easily digestible, and enriched with EPA and DHA for your dog’s skin and heart health.
When your dog needs special food treatment owing to nutrient resistances, seeking the consent of your pet’s vet to use Royal Canin Canine Selected Protein Adult PR will put you and your pal at ease.
- Complete and balanced formula.
- Good for dogs with nutrient resistances.
- Highly palatable and digestible.
- Enriched with health-supporting EPA and DHA.
Best Royal Canin Dog Food Buyer’s Guide
The dog food market is full of Royal Canin dog food products. While this may be an indication of customer consistency in feeding their pets with these products, it is also an indication of a company with a long and solid history in the production of quality dog food.
Indeed, the company has thrived since 1968 while passing through the management of different groups, ending up under the management of the current owner, Mars Incorporated since 2001.
A core characteristic of the Royal Canin dog foods is that they are a result of consistent research geared at establishing proper nutritional requirements for different dog breeds, growth stages, and specific medical conditions in dogs. This attention to dog nutritional needs has made Royal Canin a celebrated dog food producer, not only in the United States but all over the globe.
Royal Canin’s attention to a dog’s nutritional needs is evident in several characteristics of their products. We discuss three among those reflected in the above dog food reviews.
Dog food products are required to include a nutritional adequacy statement that should be based on research, proving that the product provides the required levels of specific nutrients. Nutritional adequacy statements also include the growth stages for which the dog food is appropriate.
Nutrients are nourishment substances that dogs obtain from the food they consume. These are essential sources of energy for growth and health. As a general requirement, dog food should contain six key classes of nutrients, namely water, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals.
Dry dog food has up to 10% of water. This implies that it should be complemented with the daily hydration requirements to sustain the 60% to 70% water levels in an adult dog’s body weight. Needless to say that water deficiency can cause serious health issues for your pet.
Proteins are vital for the growth and development of cells, organs, tissues, antibodies and have other reproduction and repair functions. They can be sourced from meats or vegetables and cereals though the last two are considered incomplete proteins. The presence of proteins is consistent in Royan Canin products, often indicated as hydrolyzed for easier absorption as in the case of the Royal Canin Canine Selected Protein Adult PR Dry.
Carbohydrates are important for energy provision and have a digestive function, especially when ingested as fiber. They play a vital role in reproduction and the supply of energy to the brain.
Fats provide twice as much energy as proteins and carbohydrates because they are concentrated. They are essential for growth and provide insulation for internal organs but should be present in your pet’s body in balanced quantities.
Vitamins are required in small amounts for metabolic functions. Dogs do not usually need vitamin supplements unless a vet notices a deficiency and recommends a supplement.
Minerals are important for the healthy growth of bones, teeth, skin, and other structures and metabolic reactions. Dogs do not synthesize minerals and require that they are added to their diet. A good example is the EPA, DHA, and Taurine included in our top pick, the Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Golden Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food.
Dog’s Special Health Needs
As earlier mentioned, many Royal Canin products are specially made for dogs with particular clinical situations. One such condition is diabetes. Diet management is a core aspect of diabetes treatment in dogs. It implies helping your dog maintain the recommended body weight by restricting calories, fat, and food portions. Diabetes management in dogs checks the protein and carbohydrate intakes so that postprandial hyperglycemia is controlled. Such is the nutritional goal in Royal Canin’s Glycobalance Dry Dog Food.
Another common health issue related to dog nutrition is sensitivity to certain nutrients. Dogs often manifest resistance to protein foods from meat and dairy as well as gluten from wheat. The body’s immune system manifests resistance to food mostly through gastrointestinal and dermatologic reactions. This can be countered by putting your dog on a hypoallergenic diet that should be agreed upon with your pet’s vet following a diagnosis for the allergic food trigger.
Royal Canin has several products addressing food sensitivity and allergies. The list includes:
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Ultamino Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Multifunction Renal Support + Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein Small Dog Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Canine Selected Protein Adult PR Dry
Additives to dog food may not necessarily be required nutrients but they can be healthy supplements and flavors. Common additives to dog food are antioxidants. These are essential for inhibiting oxidative damage to food nutrients and restraining the creation of free radicals. A good example, in this case, is the Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Ultamino Dry Dog Food.
Some additives are meant to support the healthy growth of body structures. Additives with chondroprotective agents may be included in dog food for particular health conditions or as support to certain body structures. The chondroitin sulfate that is added to the Royal Canin Canine Satiety Support Dry dog food supports the development of cartilage and healthy joints.
Flavor additives are usually natural tastes from animal or plant products like fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, or in rare cases herbs and spices. In Royal Canin products, flavor additives are included as an appetizing element as in the case of the Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Medium Adult Dry Dog Food.
Feeding your dog with a healthy food product is paramount. It implies proper growth and healthy life for your canine. Healthy dog food should contain the required nutrients in the right portions.
Our top pick indeed qualifies as healthy dog food for its blend of nutrients and additional minerals (EPA, DHA, and Taurine) that support heart and skin health, two key indicators of a healthy Golden Retriever. Besides, the calorie and fat contents in this product are added in the right proportions to support the recommended body weight for an adult Golden Retriever.