If you’re looking for a safe and reliable way to transport your dog, an aluminum dog box is a great option. Because of its rigidity and unlike plastic or fabric crates, an aluminum dog box won’t collapse if your dog jumps or bumps into it.
Besides its structural rigidity, the top advantages of an aluminum dog box are its weight and corrosion resistance. Moving an aluminum box around does not require a lot of effort, and it further reduces the frequent need for maintenance due to its resistance to several weather elements.
With its combination of safety, durability, and ease of use, an aluminum dog box is the best way to keep your best friend safe during transport, and you won’t have to worry about replacing the crate if it gets damaged.
#1 Owens 55006 Dog Box
The Owens 55006 aluminum dog boxes are designed for dogs weighing 32 lbs and more. It’s made from sturdy aluminum material with a doorknob and secure lock. The floor mat isn’t just comfy but easy to clean as well.
This one is a real crowd-pleaser with vertical bars that are made to prevent heavy chewers from going to town on the box. This is a versatile aluminum dog box that can work well for dog trainers, foresters, and frequent travelers, for example.
Measuring 48 inches long by 45 inches wide by 26 inches tall, this sprawling aluminum dog box is roomy enough to fit a large dog comfortable, and it comes with lockable slam latch doors and vertical bars for added safety.
- The box comes with two separate compartments that can each conveniently house dogs weighing between 65 to 75 lbs.
- The box has air vents located on the walls and on the door to ensure that pooches continuously have access to fresh air while housed in the compartments; These vents also have sliding metal covers that can be shut to keep dogs warm during extremely cold weather.
- The box is fitted with handles at the side to ensure that it can be easily carried around.
- Maintenance and cleaning of the insides of this box are convenient, thanks to a top cover that can be easily lifted open and closed.
- The box’s doors come equipped with lockable slam latches to provide an extra layer of security. These latches are also designed to be flush with the box’s surface to prevent sharp protruding edges that can injure a dog.
- Large-sized pooches have often been seen crouching to get inside this box and also while inside the box because the compartments are too low for them.
- This box weighs 110 lbs, making it difficult or impossible to move the entire box around alone, without assistance from other people.
#2 Owens 55077 Dog Box
- STANDARD VENTS WITHOUT STORAGE-SHALLOW DOG BOX
This is another impressive yet budget-friendly model from Owens. The 55077 aluminum dog box comes with storage compartments and adjustable berths for extra space to fit more than one dog. It also features dividers and lockable doors, so you can add a supply cart if you need to.
This aluminum dog box is perfect for a dog owner that needs to take their pet on dog shows or regular training sessions.
This aluminum dog box has enough space for two dogs, yet it won’t take up too much space when placed at the back of your truck.
- The box features a rust- and weather-resistant design that ensures its longevity, even when continuously exposed to harsh weather conditions.
- This box has several windows that provide dogs with access to fresh, breathable air and also serve as an outlet for stale air.
- The box comes with berths that can be adjusted to create room for more than one dog.
- This product’s spring-loaded handles provide a convenient means of transporting the box from one place to another.
- There has been feedback that the box’s floor and ceiling construction is flimsy and that these parts of the box tend to collapse and fail within a short period of use.
- The box doesn’t come with additional compartments for storage.
#3 Owens 55017 Dog Box
This thoughtfully designed aluminum dog box is designed for outdoor use, and it is ideal for pet owners that are passionate about fishing, camping, and hunting. Now, you can have your dog tagging along with you on any of these activities while making sure that it sits comfortably throughout the journey.
It’s made to last from weatherproof materials, and you can adjust it to customize the airflow and keep out the rain.
The Owens brand thought of everything when they created this aluminum dog box. It offers great value for money, with a rugged yet lightweight construction, latch slam doors, and it even comes with storm covers. With that said, we wouldn’t advise you to leave your pet unattended if they’re in this or any other aluminum dog boxes.
- The box’s rugged diamond tread aluminum construction can withstand the degrading effects of adverse weather conditions, thereby providing longevity.
- This box’s small and compact design ensures it can be conveniently stored in a vehicle’s trunk.
- The box weighs just 50 lbs, thereby ensuring that it can be comfortably moved from one place to another.
- This product comes with air vents that guarantee a continuous inflow of fresh air for dogs; These air vents can also be adjusted to keep out rain and control airflow.
- The product package includes a storm cover that provides an extra layer of security during rainfall and thunderstorms.
- The 55017 box doesn’t have a storage compartment for pet supplies and other items.
- Its rooftop doesn’t open up, making cleaning tasks much difficult since it can only be done through its small front doors.
#4 Owens 55080W Dog Box
This is yet another great offering from the Owens brand, this time a multi-sized aluminum dog box model that can take a ton of abuse without falling apart. It’s made tough to withstand aggressive chewing and frequent use. It’s also scratch-resistant and long-lasting, with plastic joints that make the dog box sturdier.
You’ll be glad to know that this is a well-ventilated aluminum dog box that won’t suffocate your dog, and it works in a noiseless manner, which is an excellent choice. Pet owners love this model because it’s easy to give it a smudge-free clean.
In addition to the sprawling space it provides for your dog, this aluminum dog box comes with extra storage for your hunting gear, competition paraphernalia, or anything else you want to store for a trip with your dog.
- The drawer located at the bottom of this box is ideal for storing items such as dog collars, leashes, and vests.
- The box features insulated, dual-lined compartments that help keep pooches warm during cold weather conditions.
- This dog box has three striker holes per side, along with air vents with removable covers to provide proper ventilation for pets; The center divider also has air holes that help ensure cross ventilation between the two compartments of the box.
- The box’s heavyweight design and rugged diamond plate aluminum construction can conveniently support small, medium, and large-sized dogs.
- This product has lockable slam latch doors with a safety latch to ensure that pooches can’t escape by opening these doors from the inside.
- With so much storage space to offer, this product easily weighs over 175 lbs, making it difficult to be disassembled.
- It is one of the most expensive dog boxes from Owens.
#5 Owens 55072 Dog Box
Take your dog with you when hunting, camping, or traveling with convenient aluminum dog boxes from Owens. This particular aluminum dog box model is made from chew and scratch-proof materials, and it’s available in medium and large sizes so that no dog breed is left behind.
This mobile aluminum dog box is rollable, and it’s large enough to comfortably fit two small puppies or one large dog, and you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your pets have enough airflow, thanks to the added bars.
This rollable dog box is perfect for travel and training purposes.
- The box features standard air vents located on the sides to provide good airflow for pooches in the compartments.
- The compartments are lined and insulated with blue corrugated plastic to help keep dogs warm during cold weather conditions.
- The box comes with a top storage compartment for housing tools and small pockets at the sides that provide additional storage capacity.
- This box’s doors have vents with removable covers and slots for battery-operated fans to ensure that the compartments are well-ventilated for pooches at all times.
- This product comes fitted with rollers that make transportation easier.
- The major downside of this 55072 dog box from Owens is its large size, making it difficult to install or transport without extra pairs of hands.
- In order to fully secure the dog box in the trunk, its installation may require additional vehicle parts, such as mounting braces, struts, and racks, that do not come with the purchase of the dog box.
#6 Owens 55019 Dog Box
Lastly, we have this stunner from Owens. Using diamond tread aluminum as its base material, it is built like a shiny dog house with vertical bars for ventilation and a rubber mat floor for comfort.
It is also built for the smart escape artist with a single compartment whose only exit is a lockable slam latch door.
This aluminum dog box is like a portable dog house, except it’s made from durable aluminum, which means it’ll last for years to come.
- There are D-rings on the sides of the dog box that can be used for strapping onto a vehicle’s trunk to prevent unnecessary movement of the box during transportation.
- This box has a thick rubber mat that is comfortable for dogs to lay on and which can also be easily removed for cleaning.
- The box comes with the standard 6-inch by 10-inch side air vents for maximum flow and bracket slots for installing crate cooling fans separately to ensure that dogs don’t suffocate from lack of fresh air while housed in this product.
- Each door of the 55019 dog box has a lockable slam latch with an added safety latch to ensure that dogs can’t easily escape.
- Despite having a full aluminum body for enhanced durability, this box has a plastic corrugate liner in its interior compartment to provide extra insulation and keep the dog warm at all times.
- Despite its massive size, the 55019 dog box comes only with a single compartment that may be inconvenient for housing multiple dogs at once.
- This box doesn’t include a storage compartment for dog accessories and equipment.
Aluminum Dog Boxes Buyer’s Guide
Heavy-duty aluminum dog boxes are commonly referred to as kennels or dog cages. They are a type of short-term living space where you can keep your dog safe and comfortable while traveling or moving house.
Most aluminum dog boxes come with open-ended exit points, while others come with temporary locks to keep your dog safe and minimize its chances of escaping.
What Should You Know About Aluminum Dog Box?
Most models come with lockable doors to prevent pets from escaping when unsupervised, and you can easily fit them in the back of your truck. Dog crates are built for portability instead of comfort, so they shouldn’t be confused with a dog house or any other form of long-term dog lodgings.
For the best results, you should avoid leaving your dog inside a crate or kennel for longer than six hours at a time. Once you release your pup, make sure it gets enough fresh air and exercise to make up for the confinement. Keep in mind that dogs are pack animals, so they need to socialize with their kind.
It’s also important to pick a durable and rugged dog box that’s large enough to comfortably house your dog. Cheaply made dog boxes are easy to spot because they’re usually made from materials like fabric, thin wire, and plastic, which is not enough to survive scratching and chewing.
Stay away from these models because the only thing keeping them in place is usually a pair of flimsy bolts and doors. They’re simply not strong enough to keep your dog from escaping or damaging the whole thing.
While high-quality dog boxes come at a much higher price tag, they offer great value for money in comparison. It’s better to spend more on a single dog box than to purchase several cheaply made units over the years. The only dog boxes you can rely on are those made from reinforced steel or metal such as aluminum.
Heavy-duty aluminum dog boxes are particularly useful for dog owners with aggressive and powerful pups that cannot be contained in a regular crate. Heavy-duty aluminum dog crates can also come in handy when you want to leave your dog indoors for a few hours without worrying about getting home to find your shoes and furniture all chewed up.
These aluminum dog boxes are also useful for keeping your dog safe and protected when you’re traveling by plane or train. No matter how frightened your dog gets by the unusual environment, it will have a safe space to call home temporarily.
Even if you’re traveling by car on long journeys, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your dog is protected in case of an accident. The aluminum dog crate will keep the dog safe from impact no matter what happens.
Truth to be told, the purchase of durable, rugged aluminum dog boxes will pay for themselves in the long run, and it’s a purchase you won’t regret because it’ll come in handy more times than you can count.
Main Types Of Dog Crates
Dog crates come in different styles, and the one you pick will depend on factors like your climate, the purpose of the crate, and the type of dog you have. Each crate comes with its benefits and shortcomings, so there’s no one size fits all.
Here are some of the most common dog box styles available out there:
Metal Dog Crates
Last but not least, metal crates are the most durable option you can find, and they’re also easy on the eye. They’re typically made from heavy-duty steel or aluminum with ample airflow and visibility. Most good-quality models have solid walls with vertical bars provided for ventilation so that your dog can peek through and see what’s happening.
Some aluminum dog boxes are foldable and even rollable, depending on the manufacturer. Heavy-duty metal crates are particularly useful for aggressive dogs that like to chew and bite at surfaces and objects. They can also withstand the elements and will protect your dog in the case of potential collisions and accidents.
Aluminum dog boxes come up top in this category as they have a high strength to weight ratio than steel. While they may not be as strong as a steel dog crate, aluminum dog boxes are still substantially strong enough to withstand impacts and definitely the strength of even the strongest dogs. And aluminum dog boxes are way lighter than steel boxes, which fits the purpose and practicality of a dog crate more holistically.
Plastic Dog Crates
Plastic dog crates are lightweight and easy to carry around. Most pet owners use this type of crate whenever they’re traveling long distances with their dogs. Thanks to their lightweight construction, plastic dog crates are useful when you’re traveling by plane or train.
Appearance-wise, plastic crates have a basic design with a hard shell with a few ventilation holes and a wired door. This crate is particularly comfy during extreme weather conditions. It’ll keep your pet warm when it’s cold and cool when it’s warm.
The only downside with this type of crate is that you won’t be able to see your dog, and it’s harder to clean because it tends to harbor odors.
Wire Dog Crates
This is one of the most popular options, and it’s easy to find at veterinary hospitals, dog shows, and kennels. Dog owners love it because it enables you to see your dog from all angles, no matter where you leave the crate. It’s also ideal for traveling because it’s foldable and easy to carry. It won’t take up much space at the back of your truck.
Placing your dog in a wire dog crate also means that it’ll get optimal ventilation, which is good news for anyone that lives in a warm climate. Long-haired pups will also benefit from being placed in a wire crate. Another benefit of wire crates is that they’re easy to clean and maintain.
The only downside is that they’re not precisely weatherproof. Whether it’s hot or cold, your dog will feel the effects of the elements fully with no protection whatsoever, so it should only be used for a super short period of time.
Soft-Sided Dog Crates
Soft-sided dog crates are extremely lightweight and breathable. They’re designed like a mini outdoor tent and usually feature a metal frame with fabric decoration on the sides. You can easily fold it up, and it’s an excellent option for trained dogs. It offers ample ventilation, and your dog won’t feel as constricted in it. But, it won’t work well for untrained pups that still like to bite or chew stuff.
As you can see, there are several benefits to purchasing an aluminum dog box for your pooch. It’s a great way to ensure that it feels safe and behaves well while traveling, plus the box can come in handy for several other situations.
As difficult as it is to choose an option, we thought we’d summarize the key features to look for when it comes to picking the right dog box. The box should be roomy for your dog’s comfort, rugged for your dog’s safety, and weatherproof for your dog when it is outdoors.
There should be lockable doors to keep your beloved pooch from escaping, and it would be best to have some storage space to keep the extra supplies you might need for the journey.
Besides taking into account the features, we should not forget the part about the size of your dog. This is the determinant of finding and finalizing the right product to purchase. Rest assured that our top pick should fit dogs of all sizes, small and large dog breeds.
All in all, it’s an investment worth making for the sake of your furry best friend to meet your traveling needs.