The best healthy dog treat is Old Mother Hubbard Classic P-Nuttier Dog Treats.
Looking for healthy dog treats to train and reward your pooch?
Look no further! We reviewed hundreds of dog treats, and analyzed their ingredient labels, to find you the best healthy dog treats that you can possibly get for your dog.
We made sure that the list consists of products that use natural ingredients (organic and USDA Certified whenever possible) and with guidelines from accredited veterinarians.
#1 Old Mother Hubbard Classic Natural Dog Treats
- LARGE CRUNCHY TREATS: These large crunchy dog biscuits make a great training treat and a great addition to your dog's...
- ALL NATURAL: Our yummy biscuit recipes include wholesome natural ingredients such as real peanut butter, fruits and...
- Made in North America using only the finest globally sourced ingredients; we craft delicious recipes with simple,...
That’s what your dog will say after eating the Old Mother Hubbard Classic P-Nuttier Dog Treats!
These baked dog treats are as delicious as they are healthy.
Made of healthy natural ingredients, the flavor and the crunch are also sourced from natural products. You will no longer need to feel guilty about treating your pet more often than you should.
Did you know that it is suitable as dog treats for your puppy as well?
Old Mother Hubbard has a mini version which they have specially created just for them!
The best part about these crunchy flavorful snacks is the fact that they can be enjoyed by your full-grown dogs as well as by your puppies.
No matter how old or young your dogs might be, they will thoroughly enjoy these treats anywhere and any time of the day.
What’s more. The name itself caught our fancy because it has a typical old-world charm that makes you want to believe in the product. However, we were not lured simply by the name but absolutely by the ingredients and the promise of quality that is never ever compromised by this brand.
We recommend this product because it is bound to make training and treating your dogs an absolute pleasure with its variety of flavors, natural crunch, and nutrient-packed formula.
- Pet owners raved about how soft this shampoo left their pup’s fur.
- Most owners liked the gentle coconut scent.
- Unlike some other shampoos, this one readily creates a rich, thick lather.
- You have to pay a bit more to get a puppy shampoo of this quality.
- A handful of owners wished the fragrance would cling to their pet’s fur longer.
#2 Hill’s Grain-Free Soft-Baked Naturals
- Delicious, soft, grain free dog treats made with real chicken
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust not artificially preserved or flavored
- Great as training treats for your healthy dog, or as an addition to their dry dog food or wet canned food routine
No corn, wheat, or soy. Free of artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
That’s what the Hill’s Grain-Free Balance Soft-Baked Naturals dog treats promise on their labels.
The question is, does it live up to it? We think it does.
Upon inspecting its label carefully, we found that it only consists of 100% natural ingredients such as chicken, carrots, and other wholesome grains to make a significant difference to your pet’s eating habits.
A lot of dog owners we met told us how this dog treat helped in retaining lean muscles and was way more effective than the dog food that they were offering earlier.
This is because the product is grain-free, and does not contain corn, wheat, soy, and other additional artificial preservatives that tend to add to the calorie intake of your pet.
It’s the perfect balance of natural ingredients. Every bag of this dog treat provides all the key nutrients in an optimal range so that your pet is not only healthy but also filled as much as it should be.
We recommend this product because it strikes an ideal balance between nourishment and flavor while offering all that a healthy treat can possibly do.
- Provides overall balanced nutrition using all-natural ingredients.
- Regular consumption helps to form lean muscles.
- Boosts natural defenses.
- These treats could be hard to chew for some dogs.
#3 Blue Buffalo Health Bars
- MADE WITH REAL PUMPKIN: BLUE Health Bars dog treats prove that a healthy treat can be tasty, too. With ingredients like...
- CRUNCHY DOG TREATS: For small, medium, or large dogs that prefer a crunch, these dog biscuits are oven baked for a...
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: These dog treats don’t contain any chicken (or poultry) by-product meals and are free from...
You must be thinking… A pumpkin and cinnamon flavored dog treat?
It’s quite a nice tasting combination actually. Not to mention, getting your dog to eat pumpkin and cinnamon does bring about health benefits for them too.
This is exactly what the Blue Buffalo Health Bars will do.
It comes in a flavorful pack of pumpkin and cinnamon which promises health and deliciousness combined together in dog treats. When you want to feed your dog like family, you need to ensure that whatever you are offering is high on nutrition and taste at the same time.
To retain nourishment and fill the treats with homemade goodness, they are oven-baked. Baking them in ovens helps to preserve and lock the nutrients of the ingredients present. These health bars consist of omega-3 fatty acids and other essential antioxidants to help enhance your dog’s immune system.
You will also not have to worry about allergies because the common allergens like corn, soy, and wheat are absent in these treats, thus making them more nutritious.
We recommend this because they are not only healthy but also full of flavors that help your pet’s digestive system and its immune system as well.
- Enhances immunity.
- Oven-baked to preserve more nutrients.
- Fortified with omega-3 fatty acids.
- These might not be suitable for dogs that have gluten intolerance.
#4 Fruitables Baked Dog Treats
- IRRESISTABLE TASTE: Everything’s better with Pumpkin! Real Pumpkin and sweet apples combine for a taste that will...
- DELICIOUSLY HEALTHY DOG TREATS: Made with superfoods, our oven-baked dog biscuits are both healthy AND delicious. No...
- ONLY 8 CALORIES PER TREAT: CalorieSmart is our way of saying we use pumpkin to help reduce calories so you can keep...
The Fruitables dog treats are oven-baked pooch biscuits typically prepared from a healthy mix of superfoods, which mostly include pumpkin and several other fruits that are safe for dogs to eat.
These baked dog treats are commonly available in six different flavors – Crispy Bacon and Apple, Pumpkin and Apple, Pumpkin and Banana, Pumpkin and Blueberry, Pumpkin and Cranberry, Sweet Potato and Pecan.
To ensure that each Fruitables treat is healthy for dogs to eat, only eight calories are used in its preparation. Additionally, each dog treat is free of corn, soy, and wheat, which is perfect for pooches dealing with allergies or sensitive stomachs.
These treats are individually crafted in a unique flower shape, and the crunchiness and tastiness are things your canine buddy will be sure to appreciate and look forward to. The treats are suitable for all dog breeds and sizes.
The Fruitables baked dog treats provide dog owners with a tasty yet low-calorie option to reward good behavior by their canine buddies. These grain-free treats are perfect for dogs with allergies, and their inclusion of highly nutritious fruits in the ingredients list is bound to provide pooches with optimum nutrition.
- Available in six different styles.
- Suitable for all canine breeds.
- Unique flower design whose petals break off easily to prevent choking risk.
- Low-calorie formulation.
- Free of corn, soy, and wheat.
- Dry dog food kibble.
- The taste and smell of this baked treat may not appeal to all dog breeds.
#5 Rocco & Roxie Jerky Dog Treats
- HEALTHY & NATURAL - You want only the best for your best friend. So the premium treats we make at Rocco & Roxie are...
- SECRET FAMILY RECIPE DOGS LOVE - What’s the secret to these tasty treats? We start with all-American beef of the...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We have been told that even the most finicky dogs love our Jerky Sticks. But don’t take...
Picture this – You are out in your backyard, roasting meats and the aroma of the BBQ surrounds you.
Well, that’s exactly what the Rocco & Roxie Jerky Dog Treats did to us.
From the moment you open this pack of treats, you can expect your pet to fall in love with these fragrant smoked meat flavored treats.
Made from All-American turkey, these are 100% natural and of high quality. These treats have been slow-smoked for hours in small batches to result in a soft, pliant, chewy, meaty texture that your dogs will simply love.
These are perfect training treats and even the most finicky dogs have been known to love them. Guess the best part about them? No greasy, smelly hands because these are not artificially enhanced.
We recommend this because of the amazing texture, the real meaty flavor, and the ease of training it provides.
- Intense taste and aroma.
- Real, meaty, chewy texture.
- No greasy hands after handling them.
- These treats are quite expensive.
#6 Wellness CORE Grain-Free Marrow Roasts – Turkey
- MINI CRUNCHY TREATS: These delicious, grain free treats are crunchy biscuits with real meaty marrow center for a flavor...
- ALL NATURAL AND PROTEIN RICH: These treats are made with minimal ingredients focused on quality proteins, based on our...
- THOUGHTFULLY MADE: We craft delicious treats with simple, natural, high quality ingredients chosen for their nutritional...
What more could your pet ask for when they have crunchy and grain-free biscuits made of real meat marrow to snack on?
The Wellness CORE Grain-Free Marrow Roasts turkey treats are made of premium and natural ingredients like real turkey. It also does not contain any wheat, corn, and soy, making this dog treat free of potential allergens.
These are irresistible bite-sized biscuits with two textures and a burst of savory bone marrow flavor that can treat or train dogs over a year old.
We recommend this because of its grain-free goodness and a burst of flavor that is a perfect combination for your pet’s snack time.
- Two-textured crunchiness.
- Real marrow roasts.
- A long-standing brand whose products are first launched on the platform back in 2016.
- These treats could be too rich for some dogs.
#7 Blue Dog Bakery Natural More Crunch Assorted
- Low Fat Dog Treats: More Flavors means 4 different delicious varieties for a pooch to choose from. Includes the...
- Clean Teeth and Freshen Breath: These crunchy treats help support healthy teeth and gums. They're naturally low in fat...
- Wholesome Ingredients: Packing our treats with naturally sourced, healthy ingredients has been part of our mission since...
The very term, “assorted flavors”, captures our attention. So, one can only imagine what a wide variety of them could do to your dog! That’s what we like about the Blue Dog Bakery Natural More Crunch Assorted dog treats.
Your furry best friend will be spoilt for choice with flavors, such as bacon and cheese, grilled chicken, natural cheese, peanut butter, and molasses. These treats help clean teeth and keep your pet’s breath smelling fresh.
These are also all-natural and low in fat so you can be absolutely sure of their baked goodness. The fact that these are freshly baked is evident from the moment you open the pack of treats.
We recommend this because of the range of flavors and the freshness these treats provide.
- A wide variety of flavors.
- Oven-baked goodness.
- Helps maintain oral hygiene.
- The food coloring seems unnecessary.
Buyer’s Guide – Healthy Dog Treats
As dog parents, we are all aware of the fact that occasional treats and snacks go a long way in keeping your pet happy and content.
While we are not suggesting constant vigilance as far as treats are concerned, we would still recommend offering healthy dog treats to inculcate healthy habits as early as possible.
As we had mentioned earlier that we intend to hold your hand through the entire process of finalizing your healthy dog treats, given below is a Buyer’s Guide that will assist you in the process.
In this guide, we will talk about the dangers of unhealthy dog treats, the importance of natural dog treats, and how to choose them.
How We Found The Best And Reviewed Them
Now, how do we recommend the best and review them for you? We do the research and we speak to as many experts in the field as possible.
For example, while reviewing healthy dog treats, we spoke to experienced dog owners and veterinarians who assisted us in finding out the products that are the most popular in the current market.
While speaking to them, we also found out the essential qualities that a healthy dog treat should have.
But you know what else?
Our research team scours product marketplace places such as Amazon to get first-hand information.
At the minimum, we read at least 550 reviews for each product that we review. We want you all to have all the knowledge required to make the best decision for your pet. After all, we are pet lovers too and we only want the best for our pets. We collated the information received from different places and added bits and pieces of our own opinion about the products and came up with a review article, just for you.
It also includes a Buyer’s Guide that maps out the essential features you should look for in a healthy dog treat. Here’s hoping that our reviews help you to buy the best healthy dog treats for your dogs and puppies.
Dangers Of Unhealthy Treats
If you thought that simply walking your canine companion twice a day or letting him run around in the evenings in your backyard would help prevent obesity, think again.
It has a lot to do with the kind of food you offer and most of it is caused by the amount of sugar and preservatives present in dog treats.
Not only do overweight dogs face the risk of various types of cancers but are also more prone to developing heart diseases. Obesity-related disorders and diseases are hard to heal, expensive, and involve painful procedures as much in pooches as in humans.
The only way to avoid these problems is to prevent causing them in the first place and get rid of the factors that might be causing obesity.
Here are some of the risks that obesity could expose your pet to:
- Difficulty In Breathing: Excessive fat restricts the lungs from functioning properly.
- Intolerant To Heat: Unwanted fat cells disrupt the body’s heat regulation system.
- Compromised Liver Function: The liver tends to store excess fats and this could lead to conditions like hepatic lipidosis.
- Fertility Issues: Obese dogs have reproductive problems and need veterinarian help to give birth.
- Compromised Immunity: Fat stores impede the natural immune system to cause more bacterial and viral infections.
- Skin Problems: Skin tends to fold and collect fungus and bacteria in between the folds. This leads to the shedding of hair and skin infections.
What Is The Importance Of Healthy Treats?
This makes the treats even more tempting because we are all drawn toward more sugar which tends to give us instant sugar spikes.
To understand the importance of healthy dog treats, it is essential to know that different breeds of dogs have different calorific needs. When you offer an unhealthy snack, you might as well be covering more than a quarter of its calorific requirements with empty calories and food with low nutritional value. It makes matter worse when you offer too many treats at the same time that tends to happen with all of us.
While speaking to veterinarians, we came to know that dog snacks and dog treats should not contribute to more than 10% of your pet’s total diet. This is on similar lines to humans who should not obtain more than 10% of calories from crisps and chocolates.
The primary motive is to avoid as much fat content as possible. For example, dried chicken strips are way healthier than cheesy chews because the latter is not only high in saturated fats but is also heavily processed.
Always Make Sure – All-Natural Ingredients
The best kind of dog treats and dog food includes natural ingredients that enhance the health and well-being of your pets. Most dog owners prefer snacks like celery, yams, and green beans because these are a few of the best that you could offer to your furry friend.
The trick is to understand the changes in your pet’s health and behavior after experimenting with dog treats.
However, you would be better off if you can avoid the following ingredients:
These tend to have toxic effects on your pet. Dogs can consistently refuse to have vegetables because they were essentially designed to have meat but if this is inculcated as a habit early in life, you can expect your meat-lover to thrive on vegetable snacks.
Avoid Cooked Bones And Scraps As Treats
It is a common practice to throw bones and scraps at your pet before or after meals but this is not healthy at all for it in the longer run. This is because it can have a behavioral impact on your pet who will gradually feel conditioned to ask for it often during the day.
If it is impossible for you to keep your dog away during family mealtimes, try opting for healthier treats instead of throwing greasy chicken wings at him.
It is popularly believed that a dog should chew on cooked scrap bones but that is not such a good idea. This myth has been debunked lately when veterinarians discovered the link between dog bones and dental decay. Your dog might easily break one of its molars or even worse, swallow bone splinters that can cause gastrointestinal problems.
Instead, try healthier options like chicken liver and chicken chews instead.
Dogs cannot make intelligent decisions about their diet. It is the pet parent’s responsibility to ensure that the food offered is healthy, nutritious, and delicious at the same time. Habits need to be formed early so that nothing has to be forced.
Dogs will want to eat whatever they are naturally attracted to but it is our discretion to offer balanced meals that have a little bit of everything.
Final Thoughts – Healthy Treats To Keep Your Dog In Shape!
We have discussed a large selection of natural and organic treats for your best friend and we hope that these reviews will help you to make an informed choice.
The transition from unhealthy treats to healthy snacks could take some time and you might feel that it will never happen but it eventually does.
The problems associated with obesity are many and you would rather go the long way than put your pet through a painful and disease-ridden life. Inculcate healthy habits early so that they opt for healthier treats all by themselves.
All the products listed here are top picks and whichever you choose to buy, you will guarantee your pet a healthy lifestyle.