The best dog cooling vest is RUFFWEAR Swamp Cooler.
There are many ways to help your dog stay cool during the summer, but a cooling vest is one of the most effective. The basic idea is simple: the vest cools your dog via a special water-filled layer, and as long as he’s moving around, the whole process works to keep him as cool as possible.
Cooling vests are a great option for dogs who suffer from heatstroke or heat exhaustion. It’s also a good idea to use one if your dog is at risk for a stroke, as the swelling and pressure caused by overheating can lead to a stroke.
They are perfect for dogs that live in hot climates, as they can help to minimize any heat-related injuries. Here’s how to pick the best cooling vest for your dog!
#1 RUFFWEAR Swamp Cooler
- Cooling vest: A vest that provides sun protection and evaporative cooling, keeping your dog cool; Perfect for hot summer...
- Three layer cooling: Outer layer reflects heat and facilitates evaporation; Middle layer absorbs and stores water; Mesh...
- Maximum shade: Vest style provides good coverage and UPF 50+ protection; Side-release buckles make it a breeze to put on...
This is by far one of the most popular dog cooling vests in the market right now. This dog cooling vest by RUFFWEAR comes with a dual function. The Swamp Cooler lets your dog stay cool by reflecting the heat from the sun and evaporating the water from the surface.
It’s a three-layer cooling jacket that attaches to your dog with a pair of side buckles that are easy to use. Dogs can get restless when they know you’re about to take them out so this easy-to-use buckle allows you to get them ready in seconds after you have soaked them in water.
Our favorite feature of the RUFFWEAR Swamp Cooler is its three-layer construction. The outer layer quickly wicks the contained water and enables fast evaporation to amplify the effect of evaporative cooling. The layer in the middle stores the water by holding on to it and the inner layer transfers it to your dog’s chest.
This design is a simplistic engineering masterpiece that effectively keeps your pooch cool even during the hottest summer days. It makes RUFFWEAR Swamp Cooler easily one of the best high-performance dog cooling vests in the market.
We love that the RUFFWEAR Swamp Cooler is available in a wide variety of sizes allowing for the perfect fit. The right size will cover your dog’s entire torso and make them feel comfortable and cool when on the go. Add some reflective trim and you’ve got a definite winner.
- Offers triple layer cooling protection with its top layer that helps with cooling, the middle layer, which is responsible for absorbing water, and a mesh lining that is comfortable against your pup’s skin.
- Comes in 5 sizes ranging from XX-Small to X-Large to suit pup breeds of different sizes and is ideal for outdoor activities and training.
- Comes in a vest style that offers UPF 50+ protection, and it is easy to wear or take off, thanks to the vest buckles.
- It has an integrated leash portal that lets you attach a leash.
- Has a reflective trim on the vest, which helps with visibility in low-light situations.
- When wet, the vest can weigh down smaller doggie breeds, and this can be rather uncomfortable.
- It can also drip all over when wet because it is hard to wring out the water from the thick vest.
#2 SGODA Dog Cooling Vest
- TECHNOLOGY: dog cooler with 3 layer cooling fabric, Soak it in cold water, wring it out, and put the cooling vest on...
- PERFORMANCE: soft and lightweight material for all range movements, the dog cooling vest also helps UV protective,...
- DOG COOLING VEST: leash attachment point, Zinc-alloy D-ring on the dog's back allow you to get the best no pull for dog
The SGODA dog cooling vest is a terrific choice if you are on a budget. Unlike most low-cost dog cooling vests, this one offers both style and functionality. It’s very easy to get on and take off and covers a significant portion of your dog’s body, making it feel like a hug. If your dog suffers from anxiety, this is a great choice.
It has a three-layer technology cooling system that kicks into action when you soak it in water and put it over your dog after wringing out the excess water. It uses an evaporative cooling principle that works by transforming the water from its liquid state to vapor. The temperature drops in the interlayer and your dog will cool off by 30°F to 50°F.
The middle layer holds the water while the mesh in the inner layer does the cooling. Meanwhile, the sun’s heat gets reflected by the outer layer, causing more drops in your dog’s core temperature.
Packed full of amazing features. It has an amazing three-layer cooling system, made of soft nylon for comfort, has a leash attachment made of zinc, comes with a zipper for an easy take on and off, and a reflective surface for your dog’s safety.
- Offers a cooling effect for your furry friend, thanks to the tri-layer protection plus an inner nylon material for easy movement.
- It is easy to adjust to fit your pup as it has a zipper and Velcro, which help to fit the neck width, as well as an elastic string for belly size adjustment.
- You can attach a leash to the two zinc-alloy D-ring found on the back of the vest.
- Comes in 7 sizes ranging from 12-14 inches to 32.5-39.5 inches, which means it should fit most pup breeds.
- There is a 3M reflective trim around the vest, which helps with low-light visibility.
- The vest can stretch out by a few inches when hung out to dry, which means it will not fit your pup as usual.
- Due to its mesh design, the vest can attract dirt after a short time, and handwashing it can be tough.
#3 Hurtta Dog Cooling Vest
- Provides dog with a feeling of comfort on hot days
- Protects and cools the heart region and chest which is vital for circulation
- Ideal for walks, training sessions, and dog shows
If you want a simple yet effective solution to keep your dog cool during the hot summer days, the Hurtta Dog Cooling Vest is your pick. It comes in a smaller design than most other dog cooling vests sold in the market, ensuring a better fit for your dog.
It typically comes with a zipper for an easy take-on and take-off but you can also opt for other variations like a fastener for attaching a leash. What we like about this dog cooling vest is that it is lightweight even when it’s damp. Another cool feature is that the vest changes color as it dries up so you know when to add more water.
If your dog doesn’t like the standard cooling vests that cover most of their body, the Hurtta Cooling Vest is a great option. It’s a snug fit, looks great, and tells you when to add more water!
- It is made of three layers, which include the microfiber inner layer for water absorption, a 100% PES 3D mesh fabric outer layer for breathability, and a 100% PES lining for comfort.
- Easy to fit, thanks to the adjustable elastic chest strap.
- The thick material keeps the pup cool for hours, and all you need is a little water to wet the vest.
- The vest is lightweight and comes in 8 sizes to fit small and large dog breeds.
- Durable and easy to clean using a washing machine.
- The vest drips water often, even when wrung out.
- Depending on the temperatures, the vest dries up quickly, which stops keeping your pup cool.
#4 POPETPOP Dog Cooling Vest
- Evaporative Cooling Principle- Dog cooling vest with 3 layer cooling fabric, the surface mesh can reduce the heat from...
- Heat Reflective- Utilizes evaporation, cooling and heat reflection to keep your dog cool in the summer. the sunlight...
- Easy to Wear- Dog cooling coat designed with adjustable buckle, easy to put on and take off, keep dogs feel comfortable....
The POPETPOP dog cooling vest is a reflective cooling coat made up of a tri-layer cooling fabric. The reflective external mesh helps keep your dog cool by reflecting heat off.
In the middle, there is an absorbent cotton layer that helps to store water, when soaked, to be used as a coolant based on the evaporative cooling principle. The innermost layer further facilitates the heat transfer of the cooling effect onto your dog on a sunny day.
This cooling vest comes with an adjustable buckle which makes it easy to take off and keep on. It is well-fastened and is perfect for very active dogs. There is a harness attachment hole that helps to connect with a pulling rope.
The reflective strips offer extra visibility and security as you walk your dog in areas of low light conditions. The neck area is what you need to measure to get a perfect size. This orange cooling vest has three sizes for you to choose from, namely, Small, Medium, and Large.
This cooling vest from POPETPOP is so easy to use. All you have to do is soak it in water, squeeze out the excess, and put it on your dog. We like that it has three layers of material to help keep your pet cool on hot days. If you have an overactive dog, the buckle keeps the vest well in place. You can use the vest in low light conditions, thanks to its reflective strips.
- Made of three layers, which are a surface mesh to help with heat reduction, a cotton middle, which stores the cooling water, and an inner lining to help with keeping your pup cool.
- The vest is easy to wear and fit, thanks to the adjustable side straps.
- Your pup is safe and secure, thanks to the harness attachment hole and a reflecting strip for low-light use.
- Available in 3 sizes and fits small and medium doggies.
- Easy to use as all you have to do is soak the vest, wring out excess water and place it on your pup to keep them cool.
- Not as effective in places with extremely hot weather.
- The strap buckle can break if your pup claws at the vest to take it off.
#5 Canada Pooch Chill Seeker Dog Cooling Vest
- CHILL SEEKER - Do you want to bring your dog on an outdoor adventure but are worried about the heat? That’s why we...
- COMFORTABLE MESH LAYERS - When we set out to create our cooling dog harness we didn’t want to compromise on your...
- GREAT FOR DOGS OF ALL SIZES - Our dog cooling coat is fully adjustable for dogs of any size. Our sizing chart will show...
The Canada Pooch Chill Seeker dog cooling vest offers your furry friend a cooling effect on hot days. It is easy to fit, and you only need to consider the back length.
For best results, measure the base of the neck down to the base of the tail. The size you get in inches is the vest size you should get for your dog. It has adjustable chest straps perfect for keeping the vest fastened. It is made of multiple mesh layers for the perfect cooling effect.
There are no chemical coolants added, and it is easy to use. All you have to do is soak it in water and wring out the excess fluid.
Next, place it on your dog and let it do its cooling magic. The vest also has a reflective trim to make your pet visible in low light. It comes in three fanciful color designs for you to choose from.
It is a great plus that there is no chemical coolant added to the vest from Canada Pooch. It is easy to use and to choose the perfectly sized vest for my dog. The adjustable chest straps and reflective trim are also an added advantage.
- Beautiful rainbow design with a longer back length, and you can choose from 12 sizes to fit most pups.
- Made of multiple layers, which are the inner breathable mesh air pockets, outer 100% polyester mesh shell, and the interior blend material to help keep your pup feeling cool and comfortable.
- Safe for your pups as the materials are chemical coolant free.
- Comes with a reflective lining to keep your dog visible in low-light conditions.
- It is easy to fit and keep in place, thanks to the buckle straps.
- The buckle on the adjusting straps can be hard to fasten and needs multiple trials to use it.
- The vest caters to the back length and does not help to cool the belly and chest area.
#6 smartelf Dog Cooling Vest
- EASY TO USE: 1.Soak the cooling dog vest in cold water;2.Wring out excess water;3.Put the cooling jacket on your dog;If...
- DOG COOLING VEST made of high quality PVA and air mesh panel.Provide your dog lightweight and breathable, soft skin...
- EVAPORATIVE SWAMP COOLER JACKET for dogs utilizes natural evaporation,cooling and heat reflection.A reflective, wicking...
Most people don’t use dogs for deer and hunting mostly happens during the summer. If you’re the kind who loves hunting or training with your dog, then this cooling vest from smartelf may just be the right one for you.
It comes in bright orange color with a reflective article to maintain visibility under a low-light environment. It is made of PVA and air mesh panels for a breathable and lightweight feel that will not weigh your dog down during long hours of activity outside.
The evaporative swamp jacket makes use of natural evaporation and cooling effect. Simply carry a bottle of water to drizzle when the vest dries up.
The smartelf Dog Cooling Vest is lightweight, so you can wash it without any hassle. The air mesh panels and high-quality PVA are soft on your dog, ensuring high comfort during long hours of activity outdoors.
- The vest aids with cooling and breathability as it is made of a high-quality PVA and air mesh panel.
- Easy to use because you only need to soak the vest in water, get rid of the excess water, and place it on your furry friend.
- It is safe for your pup as it does not contain harmful chemicals.
- The pup is easy to find in low lighting because of the bright orange color of the vest and the reflective, wicking outer layer.
- You can easily take off, put on and adjust the vest with the side buckle straps.
- The elastic attaching both sides of the chest can cause sores when it rubs onto the pup’s skin, especially around the neck.
- Given that the vest employs a mesh design to help dissipate heat quickly, it tends to pick up dirt easily, meaning that you may have to spend some time cleaning it.
Dog Cooling Vest Buyer’s Guide
In order to pick the best dog cooling vests for your little furry friends, you have to understand what exactly it is and why your dogs need one. Dogs don’t sweat like us and so they tend to heat up real quick during the hot summer days.
It’s pretty common for dogs to suffer heatstroke when their body overheats. You don’t want that for your dog. Your dog is considered to have a heatstroke when its core body temperature reaches or exceeds 104°F.
Since dogs don’t sweat as we do, they are incapable of regulating their body temperature once it reaches 101.5°F. Therefore, it is important to have a dog cooling vest during hot seasons.
Related: Best Dog Cooling Mat
Why Does Your Dog Need A Cooling Vest?
Human beings are extremely well adapted to regulating our body temperatures. Unfortunately, our little furry friends do not have this advantage. The only way for a dog to sweat is through a small gland located in its paw pad. Another way for them to regulate their core temperature is through panting. If your dog is feeling hot, it will start panting.
While drinking cold water helps, it can only do as much as the bladder can take. The constant need to answer the call of nature can also become troublesome for both the dog and you. Taking in cold water can only do so much.
With a dog cooling vest, you can help your furry companion to stay cool and comfortable during the hot summer months. When your dog wears it, the heat in its body will get transferred to the vest. The inner surface of the vest closest to their skin has cooling properties to help lower their core temperature and make them feel better.
Different vests use different mechanisms to perform their cooling action and the most common method is evaporation. You shouldn’t really stress much over the mechanism, except that there are some methods that are more effective in humid areas. What is most important is the fact that they help to keep your dog’s body temperature at a moderate level.
Heat Exhaustion Is Common In Dogs
Hyperthermia (heat exhaustion) is a common problem in dogs. The thick coat of fur on their body traps in layers of air right next to their skin, keeping them warm and cozy during the cold winters. However, it also means they cannot get rid of the heat during hot days when they need to.
Cooling Down Your Dog
It’s actually quite easy to cool down your dog. The thick coat of fur traps the heat emitted from their body. It can be difficult to cool their body temperatures once your pooch over-heats. Even transferring them to a cooler environment will not help.
This is why it is very important for you to prevent your body from getting overheated. Getting a dog cooling vest is an easy option to keep your dog cool during those summer months.
How Do Dogs Regulate Their Temperature?
Contrary to what you hear, dogs do sweat. But it’s not through the skin like us humans. They sweat from merocrine sweat glands found in their paw pads which, unfortunately, aren’t very efficient.
They also cool their body by panting. That’s why dogs pant a lot on hot days. When they pant, the moisture in their tongues and mouth evaporates and it cools down the temperature in their body.
The blood vessels around their face and ears also expand (a process called vasodilation). It helps to bring the blood to the surface of their body. However, these methods are very limited in cooling their bodies and hence dogs tend to overheat real fast.
Dangers Of Overheating
Overheating is a serious problem in dogs and can be fatal. If your dog is suffering from a heatstroke, you will notice heavy panting, excessive drooling, red gums, irregular heartbeats, muscle tremors, and even seizures. They will eventually lose their consciousness. If this happens, make sure to cool their body immediately and take them to the nearest veterinary treatment facility center.
What To Look For When Buying A Dog Cooling Vest?
Picking out the right dog cooling vest is very important to keep your dog cool and comfortable while preventing a possible onset of heatstroke. Most dog owners use it for outdoor activities like trail runs or during walks but it can also be a great accompaniment for dogs with dark coats during summers.
Most of these cooling vests are based on the mechanism of evaporation. Evaporative cooling takes away the heat from the core of the dog’s body as the moisture drys up, generating a cooling effect to keep your dog’s body temperature in check. Most of them also have a water-repellent inner layer so that it doesn’t get your dog all soaked up in the water.
To help you find the perfect pick for your furry friend, consider these key elements.
Essentially, a tougher outer layer is ideal. Most of the inner layers are made of cotton for high water retention. You will also find specialty materials for specific purposes. The inner layer is very important because it needs to be water repellent to ensure your dog stays dry and comfortable.
Make sure the cool vest covers your dog’s entire torso. This will keep their internal organs cool. Choosing the right size is tricky especially if you are shopping online. Breeds like bulldogs will find a better fit in cooling collars while average dogs will find ample coverage with different cooling vest varieties.
If the vest is too tight, your dog will be uncomfortable. If it’s too loose, your dog will not benefit from the cooling effects. Most of the vests provide a wide variety of sizes. Instead of just guessing, get a tailor’s tape and measure your dog, especially around the chest.
Depending on what you need, extra features can be really helpful. A ring to attach the dog leash, for instance, can be really handy if you take your dog out for walks.
Additional Summer Safety Tips For Your Dog
Cooling vests can help cool down your dog’s core temperature but they won’t completely take away the heat. Here are a few guidelines to keep your four-legged friend safe when the mercury soars.
Stay Out Of The Sun As Much As Possible
When you go out, try and stay in the shade as much as possible. Besides protecting your dog from the sun’s direct heat, you will also protect its paws from hot pavements.
Keep Your Pooch Hydrated
Try and make your dog drink every 15 to 30 minutes, depending on their level of activity. Water foundations tend to break so carry a water bottle filled with cold water and a water dish wherever you go.
Dial Down the Activity When Temperatures Soar
Excessive activity will increase the core temperature of your dog. Ease back on the Frisbee and all the running around.
Take Breaks Regularly
Your dog may be able to walk for several miles when it’s cooler but remember to take breaks and rest in the shade on hot summer days. Give them time to pant by making a stop every 15 minutes.
Use Canine Sunscreen
If your dog has thin fur or a light-colored coat, apply some canine sunscreen when going out. Dogs get sunburned too.
Hit The Pool
Another way to help your dog stay refreshed is by taking a dip in the pool. Cooling vests are great but having a dip in the pool every now and then can take the lethargy out of hot summer days. If you don’t have a backyard pool, buy a dog-friendly pool and let your pup have fun when it’s sweltering outside.
Hyperthermia is a serious medical condition common in dogs. If you live in a hot climatic region, you simply must invest in a dog cooling vest.
Related: Best Dog Pool
The bottom line is that your dog will be more at ease in the summer heat when wearing a dog cooling vest. Whether it’s just lounging around the house or making sure your athletic or working dog stays active despite the heat, there is simply no reason why you shouldn’t let your dog stay cool with a bit of help.
While any of the dog cooling vests listed above should do just fine in keeping your pooch cool and comfortable, our top pick checks all the features a dog lover would want in their dog cooling vest. It is also the one that has received the highest stellar reviews so far.