The best dog nail grinder is Dremel 7300-PT Pet Nail Grooming Tool.
Keeping your pup’s nails trimmed is an important part of being a responsible dog owner, but it can be difficult to do with traditional clippers. You might need some help from a friend or family member, which isn’t always available when you need it most.
A convenient method we have found is by using nail grinders, which are also called Dremel tools. These nail grinders use a rotating sanding drum or drill bit to remove the sharp points, smooth out the rough edges, and trim excess nail material.
We’ve identified the best dog nail grinders on the market today! We’ve looked at all the different features and picked our favorites so that you can get back to playing fetch with your furry companion faster than ever before!
#1 Dremel 7300-PT Pet Nail Grooming Tool
- Pet nail groomer and grinder - This rotary tool is a pet nail groomer and grinder that offers a safe, effective, less...
- Variable speed - Two rotation speeds let you safely and carefully grind the nails of your dog or pet in stages....
- Lightweight - The lightweight, cordless rotary tool works with two speed settings 6,500 and 13,000 RPM and an array of...
The Dremel 7300-PT tool works wonders in trimming your dog’s nails without the fear of accidentally cutting the claws. You can even use it on even grumpy or skittish dogs because it is quiet and cordless with two different speed levels, namely 6,500 rpm and 13,000 rpm.
It weighs merely 1.19 lbs and uses a rechargeable battery that can be fully charged within 3 hours. Moreover, a 2-year warranty is provided with the purchase.
The Dremel brand is widely known, and many grooming professionals do use “dremel” as a word in place of a grinder at times, highlighting how popular it is. Hence, you can be assured of its quality. This canine grooming tool is a rotary grinder, enabling you to press it gently against your dog’s nails to grind them away slowly.
From actual customer reviews of dog owners, they are impressed with the effectiveness of the Dremel Nail Grinder. Also, the tool is easy and convenient to use because of its cordless feature. What we really liked is that it runs on a rechargeable battery, saving the user the trouble to buy new batteries when it runs out of juice.
- Two different speed settings.
- Comes with a rechargeable battery that is fully charged within three hours.
- Cordless and convenient.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
#2 Hertzko Electric Dog Nail Grinder
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE - Our pet nail trimmers use an ultra durable diamond stone material are are safer and more effective...
- MULTIPLE SIZES TO MATCH YOUR PET'S NAILS - There are three sized openings in the grinder area and you can use any of the...
- ULTRA-MUTED MOTOR - Our dog nail trimmer is especially designed with low noise and low vibration to remove fear from dog...
The Hertzko Dog Nail Grinder is versatile as it is ideal for grooming most breeds of dogs – including the larger and smaller dog breeds. If you have a pup that is sensitive to noise, rest assured that they will be comfortable with this nail grinder because it has low vibration and noise.
At $23 (at times, it will even be cheaper, we managed to snag it at $15), it is 25% cheaper than our top pick.
It is a plastic grinder that is designed to be ergonomic as it is portable, lightweight, and can be utilized outdoors. It is pretty simple to use. You can recharge this nail grinder through the electric cord or USB outlet with an in-built battery.
Moreover, this unit performs multiple functions. It grooms, trims, shapes, and smoothens the nails of your pooch painlessly.
This Hertzko Nail Grinder is effective and extremely affordable. It makes grinding of the nails a pleasant experience for your pet pooch with its multiple functionalities.
- Designed with ports of three different sizes – small, medium and large.
- Equipped with a diamond bit grinder, which is more effective and far safer than standard nail clippers.
- Multiple functionalities – grooming, shaping, trimming, smoothing.
- Easy to clean.
#3 BOSHEL Dog Nail Grinder
- RECOMMENDED BY PROFESSIONALS - The BOSHEL electric pet nail grinder is an ergonomically designed powerful and...
- UPGRADED 2-SPEED LOW NOISE, SUPER-POWER MOTOR - Our cordless Grinder Machine is outfitted with an ergonomic upgraded,...
- MULTIPLE GRINDING PORTS TO FIT ANY SIZE PET! – The grinder bit is outfitted with a well- designed cap, with 2 separate...
According to Boshel, its Dog Nail Grinder is recommended by professionals, such as veterinarians, professionals in pet grooming, animal trainers, and by its consumers as the best nail grinder for small and large dogs.
It is ergonomic and designed powerfully to be used in-house. This device is a portable and lightweight one that is comfortable to use and is painless to the dog’s paws. The cordless machine features a user-friendly and upgraded single-speed motor that is extremely quiet.
It is rechargeable and has an included USB charging cable. Moreover, it is beneficial and can be used for dogs of different sizes. Its noise level is extremely low, causing minimal discomfort to your pet pooch.
- Multiple grinding ports which can fit different dog sizes.
- Manufactured with a durable diamond bit grinder.
- Uses a silent single-speed motor.
- Portable and lightweight.
#4 GHG Dog Nail Grinder
- Upgraded version - Designed to be rechargeable by USB with indicator light make it more convenient and free you from...
- Diamond grinding stone - Constructed with diamond bit grinder which is safer and more effective than nail clipper to...
- Quiet and safe - Using super mute motor, brass shaft, unique mute technology, gently remove thin layers of nail with a...
The GHG dog nail grinder comes with an advanced diamond bit grinder. This makes it more powerful yet effective, precise, and safe.
Under the grinder is an LED light that shines and illuminates the area you are working on, thereby assisting you to see clearly and prevent accidental injuries to your pet. You have the option to keep the light on or off.
This grinder is a 2000mAh cordless device that can work for up to 10 hours. While having a powerful motor, the grinder works fairly silently at 40 dB. It will not startle your dogs and will keep them calm while you work on their paws.
There are three rotation speed settings you can work with. The two ports work for all pet sizes and nail hardness. You can charge your grinder anywhere, thanks to the USB charging cable. When the charge is low, the LED will flash to remind you to recharge.
A noise-controlled nail grinder is perfect for anxious pets. The LED light and diamond bit grinder help you groom your pet safely and precisely. We love that you can charge it anywhere with the USB charging cable. The configurable speed setting means that you can groom dogs of any size with ease.
- Advanced diamond bit grinder with a powerful motor.
- LED light with off/on option.
- Noise controlled at 40 dB.
- Has three rotational speed settings to suit all animal sizes.
- Comes with a USB charging cable.
- Features a flashing LED reminder when it is time to recharge.
- 2000mAh cordless grinder that runs up to 10 hours.
#5 JBONEST Dog Nail Grinder
- LARGE BATTERY FOR 20H WORKING TIME: The 2000mAh cordless dog grinder support 20h working time , solved the trouble of...
- SPEED AJUSTMENT: Different from the two-speed,the dog nail trimmer are designed with speed regulation. You can adjust...
- LOW NOISE&QUIET: Low noise design is controlled the torque o 40 dB while boosting the torque, and it can even polish the...
The JBONEST Dog Nail Grinder is a professional and rechargeable pet nail trimmer. This is a 2000mAh cordless grinder that can work for up to 20 hours. The pack comes with a USB charging cable that you can use on a power bank, laptop, or AC adapter to keep you connected. The speed is adjustable at two speeds depending on the nail hardness.
The motor design is noise controlled at 40 dB, which is perfect for anxious pets. The grinder has three ports to choose from, depending on your pet’s size. The grinder has an advanced diamond bit grinder for safe and precise grooming.
This is a powerful grinder from JBONEST, yet it is of a low-noise design. It works for any kind of pet dog, thanks to its 3-port setting. We also love that you can charge the grinder at any time with a USB charging cable. The grinder is cordless and can work for up to 20 hours, so there is no need to charge before each use.
- Uses a diamond bit grinder that is cordless and rated 2000mAh or up to 20 hours of grinding.
- Rechargeable using a USB cable.
- A two-speed grinder with a low noise design at 40 dB.
- Provides three ports to choose from and to suit dogs’ nails of all sizes and toughness.
- Available in either black or white.
#6 Casfuy Dog Nail Grinder
- Safe, Effective & Precise Trimming: This dog nail grinder uses an advanced diamond drum bit grinder to deliver the...
- Advanced 2-Speed Switch & 3 Grinding Ports: The trimmer features an adjustable, low-high speed design powerful enough...
- Super Low Noise & Vibration: Many pets get stressed by the sound and vibration of pet nail grinder. However, our...
With the best in dog safety, comfort, and convenience, Casfuy’s Dog Nail Grinder will be able to handle all your dreaded dog nail grinding needs. The top-of-the-line battery lasts for a whopping two hours!
So, no more fretting about forgetting to charge the tool. You can use this nail grinder with ease all week long. With low noise and vibration construction, you can comfortably carry on with other tasks without interrupting yourself or the dog.
Also, it features a clever design – an auxiliary charging cable that can plug directly into any USB device, including your phone wall chargers, iPad chargers, or even laptop computers for uninterrupted use.
This tool from Casfuy is made from industry-grade materials that ensure durability. It can be used for two hours on a full charge within three hours and is suitable for all sizes of dog paws.
- Uses a diamond bit grinder head for enhanced durability.
- Three sizes of ports, making it a good choice for dogs of different sizes.
- Its operating noise level is less than 50 dB with low vibrations.
#7 Razoo Dog Nail Grinder
- 【Upgrated Motor and 2 Runing Speed】Our dog nail grinder choose an upgraded higher quality motor，It is more...
- 【Super Strong Motor & 2 Speed】Equipped a large capacity 2200 mAh rechargeable Li battery, which has a larger...
- 【Super Low Noise & Vibration】Our electric dog nail grinder for large dogs apply superior diamond bit grinder with...
The Razoo Dog Nail Grinder is the best nail grinder from Razoo. With 40 dB of sound and a powerful motor, it’s perfect for your dog’s nails.
It also has a rechargeable 2200mAh Li battery that lasts up to five hours on a full charge, so you’re free to go on with your day without worrying about running out of juice – no more paperweight! It comes with a superior diamond bit grinder, so you don’t have to worry about size or strength limits.
Equipped with an extremely silent motor, it operates without much noise at all (<50 dB). Because it runs off of battery power, the grinder doesn’t make any loud popping or clicking sounds like most other manual methods used for nail grinding do.
And even if your dog’s nails are extra thick—most grinders would just get bogged down by these types of nails—the Razoo Dog Nail Grinder is powerful enough to go after troublesome claws too.
The Razoo Dog Nail Grinder is suitable for heavy-duty trimming, grooming, smoothening and shaping the paws of your dog without any pain.
- Produces a low noise of less than 40 dB.
- Battery-operated and rechargeable with an included USB cable.
- Suitable for even the toughest of claws or nails.
#8 Oster Gentle Paws Less Stress Nail Grinder
- Designed for pets: whisper-quiet rotary tool for stress-free pet nail trimming
- Adjustable safety guard helps ensure you don't trim too far and captures filings for less mess
- Works on all breeds of cats and dogs with a powerful 2-speed design
If you are familiar with dog nail grinders, you may have already heard of the Oster brand. Its Gentle Paws Less Stress Nail Grinder is designed for grinding down your dog’s nails, no matter how hard the nails are. The kit comes with grinding bands to assist you in your grinding task.
The device is lightweight and can be held on a single hand while freeing up your other hand to pacify your pooch as you work on its nails. In this way, grinding your dog’s nails is a less stressful situation and you can complete the grinding task quicker. It also works well for cats.
This tool from Oster has been tested on various breeds of dogs and cats, thereby assuring customers of its versatility. Its adjustable safety ensures a pain-free experience for your pet pooch.
- Features a motor with a two-speed setting, delivering variable power to grind various nail types.
- A silent motor runs on 4 AA batteries that are sold separately.
- Comes with a grinding drum, a grinding stone and two medium and fine sanding band for different grinding results.
#9 Wahl Professional Dog Nail Grinder
- Ideal for trimming, shaping, smoothing and grinding nails on all large and small pets
- Professional power with variable speed up to 13,000 RPM for effortless nail grinding
- Completely maintenance free, quiet and lightweight for easier grooming
The Wahl Professional Dog Nail Grinder is the perfect nail grinder for any dog owner, professional or novice. The ergonomic design and finger grips make a long grooming session go quicker.
With its variable speed of up to 13,000 rpm, it has never been easier to get your pup’s nails trimmed! This powerful pet trimmer also features an Automatic Safety-Stop feature that helps prevent accidental hair winding and pulling while sharpening the nails.
Complete with 11 attachments and safety measures, this Do-It-Yourself is perfect for dog owners with a higher budget and a need for increased safety features in their dog nail grinders.
With an 13,000 rpm motor, it is a heavy-duty dog nail grinder that can file away even the toughest of nails. It is designed to be very user-friendly.
- Features an automatic safety stop mechanism.
- Ergonomic handle.
- Comes with 11 different attachments, including replacement bands.
- One-year limited warranty.
#10 Rexipets Dog Nail Grinder
- Safe and easy - Our electric, cordless dog nail clippers are built with an advanced diamond bit grinder that delivers...
- Great for home and professional use - Advanced features allow you to easily file the claws of large, medium or small...
- What's in the box - Our nail grinder comes with a USB charging cable that you can use with any computer, power bank or...
Rexipets Dog Nail Grinder is a cost-effective and perfect solution to the goal of promoting healthy, beautiful dog nails. This cordless nail grinders’ bit head is designed with diamond, and it has two speeds for more flexibility when grinding your pup’s nails.
The entire machine weighs 6 lbs which means that it is both lightweight and portable; its ergonomic design helps to ensure that you can get into tight spots without much difficulty or discomfort.
What sets this nail grinder apart from others on the market are its three differently sized ports – 2 mm (thickness), 3 mm (medium thickness), and 5 mm (coarse). With these three settings, no matter what breed our furry friends might be, this nail grinder can work its magic on all of them.
This grinder tool from Rexipets makes trimming the paws of your pet pooch a pain-free experience for both of you. You do not have to worry about the cord because it operates cordlessly.
- Cordless design.
- One-year limited warranty.
- A high-capacity battery to deliver 4 hours of continuous usage with just one charge.
#11 Bell + Howell PAWPERFECT Pet Nail Rotating File
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: 5,000-7,000 rotations per minute files away long and sharp nails in minutes – high-power, but...
- SAFE: ultra-powerful rotating head Covered by protective sheath to ensure you and your pets safety. Nail slot keeps...
- LED LIGHT-ILLUMINATED: Built-in LED light automatically lit up when you switch PAWPERFECT on. It makes grooming so much...
This tool is the last item on our list.
This PAWPERFECT rotating file is designed after the conventional nail trimmer, but it is made to be far more powerful and safer. It has enough power to suit your needs, varying from the low mode to the high mode.
However, do note that this is a battery-powered nail grinder and is not rechargeable. It requires three AA batteries to be purchased separately. So, over time, the cost of getting new AA batteries will add up, making this option less economical than the rechargeable options.
This product from PAWPERFECT combines all the features that you need in a grinder, making it a paw-perfect tool. Its design offers ultimate safety and efficiency.
- Trims away quickly.
- Runs on two modes; Low at 5,000 rpm, and High at 7,000 rpm.
- Comes with three replacement roller heads.
Dog Nail Grinder Buyer’s Guide
As a dog parent, you know that owning a pet pooch comes with many different responsibilities. One of them is helping them to keep their nails short and trim.
According to the American Kennel Club, long and overgrown nails could cause pain and irreversible damage to your canine companion.
So, keeping the nails of your dog trimmed continuously is essential. It helps with your pooch’s overall well-being and reduces the damage to your expensive upholstery and carpets.
There are various ways to keep your dog’s nails short, but one of the safest and, probably, easiest methods is with a nail grinder. It works through a “sandpapering” process of grinding down your dog’s nail.
We understand that it can be difficult to choose the right nail grinder for your canine companion, that’s why we came up with this buyer’s guide to help you to make your choice better.
Related: Best Dog Nail Clippers
Dog Nail Clippers Or Dog Nail Grinders?
By now, you should be aware of the importance of trimming the nails of your furry friend regularly. So, you ought to check your pooch paws from time to time to ensure that their nails are not extending out of their footpad.
As a general guide, you need to trim your dog’s nails once every 1 to 2 months.
Another way of knowing when it is time to trim is when you hear the sound of your dog’s nails clicking when it walks on hard surfaces.
When it is time to trim, you must decide between nail clippers and nail grinders for your dog.
Which is the better option?
It really depends. Both the dog nail grinders and the nail clippers have their own advantages. However, our observation seems to indicate that most groomers, dog owners, and veterinarians prefer using a nail grinder.
This is because grinding the nails of your pooch is a safer option. There is no risk of you mistakenly cutting into the cuticle bed of your dog and causing an injury. The process of clipping nails requires a fair amount of pressure to be placed on the dog’s nail. This can be a discomforting process for your pooch. Also, clipping can leave behind nail splinters or jagged edges, which are not as smooth as a trimmed nail.
In general, your furry four-legged friends will find it easier to sit for grinding because it is a gentler and gradual process. As with any other dog accessories, you still must introduce the grinder gradually to your pooch to let them get used to it.
When used correctly, dog nail grinders are extremely safe and dog-friendly.
Related: Best Dog Grooming Tools
Now that you are convinced about getting a canine nail grinder, we have listed a few factors to consider before making that purchase.
Not all dog nail grinders are not created equal, so you have to be aware of the different features. This will help you to find one that best suits your needs.
Speed Or Power Of Nail Grinder
Similar to humans, your dog’s nails are made from a tough protein known as Keratin. The key difference is that our nails only have one layer, but your dog’s nails have two distinct layers.
With two layers, you need a nail grinder that has enough power to get the job done. Our recommendation is to choose one that has a powerful motor to give it enough speed and strength to deal with the toughest of nails.
Dog nail grinders that need electricity as their power source can be uncomfortable to use especially when you have a skittish canine companion.
This requires the dog nail grinder to be connected to the power source through a cable, thus restricting the range of your movement to the length of your cable.
As a result, you have only a small area to go about your nail trimming process on your beloved dog. Keeping your pooch within this area could be a challenging task.
On the other hand, a trimmer that operates with batteries frees you from such limitations. There’s a catch though. Dog nail grinders with rechargeable batteries tend to be costlier, so be prepared to pay a premium for this convenience. But the good thing is that if it’s rechargeable, you don’t have to worry about always replacing batteries.
Ease Of Using
A grinder should be lightweight and easy to hold in the hands. If it is heavy and difficult to handle, grinding away the nails of your pet pooch will be a much harder and more challenging process.
We recommend visiting your local retailer or pet store to have a touch and feel of how the grinder will be.
How Durable It Is?
Everyone wants a tool that is made to last.
It’s the same for a canine nail grinder too. It should be manufactured from solid, high-quality materials such as plastic of high density. Keep a lookout for a diamond bit nail grinder – they tend to last longer.
Noise And Vibration
As much as possible, do get a canine nail grinder that has the least amount of noise and vibration.
Especially with dogs that are not yet accustomed to the nail grinding process, the noise and vibration can create an uncomfortable environment for your furry companion.
With a nervous pooch, it’s better to get a nail grinder that has multiple speed options. Start with the slowest speed to let your pooch get used to the sound, vibration, and the process of grinding its nail.
Once they are more comfortable with this process, work your way up the speed levels. Always remember to use positive reinforcement and prepare a few treats along the way.
Furthermore, dog nail grinders with variable speeds allow you to grind away the outer nail quickly and slow down the speed as you get closer to the claw. Hence, the chance of injury is reduced.
Read Customers Reviews
We have provided a list of nail grinders that we think are the best in the market. But you should do your own research too. Ask around your friends and family to see if they might have any recommendations.
Also, you can check out online retailers, like Amazon, to read actual customer reviews of their canine nail grinders.
The steps of using a canine nail grinder are generally similar across the different models. However, there might be slight differences in how they are operated. So be sure to read their user manual before using it on your pooch.
Here are some basic facts that you need to be aware of:
- You need to have a full understanding of your dog’s nail anatomy, especially the pink quick. This is so that while grinding, avoid getting too close to the blood vessels which can hurt your pooch.
- If it is your first time grinding, you must start very slow and take much care while grinding until you become more familiar with the process. Here’s an instructive 2-minute video that shows you the proper steps of grinding nails.
- Decide on which nail you need to trim before you start the grinding process.
- Try making your pooch aware of the grinder before you start. Let your pooch know and associate the nail grinder with positive reinforcement such as treats. This helps to make your furry friend less jittery.
- If you find that your nail grinder heats up easily, be sure to take breaks of 10 to 20 seconds to let it cool down. Overheating of the grinder could scald your skin and we wouldn’t want that to happen.
Related: Best Dog Grooming Scissors
Start young to accustom your pooch to nail grinding!
Nail grinding is an easy process if you follow the right procedure and get the best tool for the job.
From our research, we believe our top pick is the best model available in the market right now. Not only is this tool manufactured by an established brand but also it offers superior features when compared to its peers. Its rechargeable battery feature further adds convenience and portability.