The best dog nail grinder is Dremel 7300-PT Pet Nail Grooming Tool.
Keeping your pup’s nails trimmed is an important part of being a responsible dog owner, but it can be difficult to do with traditional clippers. You might need some help from a friend or family member, which isn’t always available when you need it most.
A convenient method we have found is by using nail grinders, which are also called Dremel tools. These nail grinders use a rotating sanding drum or drill bit to remove the sharp points, smooth out the rough edges, and trim excess nail material.
We’ve identified the best dog nail grinders on the market today! We’ve looked at all the different features and picked our favorites so that you can get back to playing fetch with your furry companion faster than ever before!
#1 Dremel 7300-PT Pet Nail Grooming Tool
The Dremel 7300-PT tool works wonders in trimming your dog’s nails without the fear of accidentally cutting the claws. You can even use it on even grumpy or skittish dogs because it is quiet and cordless with two different speed levels, namely 6,500 rpm and 13,000 rpm.
It weighs merely 1.19 lbs and uses a rechargeable battery that can be fully charged within 3 hours. Moreover, a 2-year warranty is provided with the purchase.
The Dremel brand is widely known, and many grooming professionals do use “dremel” as a word in place of a grinder at times, highlighting how popular it is. Hence, you can be assured of its quality. This canine grooming tool is a rotary grinder, enabling you to press it gently against your dog’s nails to grind them away slowly.
From actual customer reviews of dog owners, they are impressed with the effectiveness of the Dremel Nail Grinder. Also, the tool is easy and convenient to use because of its cordless feature. What we really liked is that it runs on a rechargeable battery, saving the user the trouble to buy new batteries when it runs out of juice.
- Dremel’s nail grinding tool features a wireless design that provides the flexibility needed for users to maneuver and comfortably trim their pooch’s nails in any position.
- The 7300-PT grinding tool contains a 4.8V NiCad battery pack that makes it possible for users to trim their pooch’s nails without interruptions.
- Owners of this 7300-PT nail grooming tool can choose either of two preset speed settings – 6,500 and 13,000 RPM – to choose a cutting speed that will provide the desired shape and effect.
- This Dremel grooming tool is compatible with a wide variety of Dremel sanding drums, with the product package containing up to five replacement sanding disks that last for a considerable period.
- This product comes with a comprehensive and easy-to-understand guide that provides users with the necessary information needed to operate this Dremel grinding tool safely.
- The attached sandpaper tends to slide up and down this grinder, while it is used, and this, in turn, slows down the nail grinding experience.
- This grinder’s file head tends to overheat when used continuously, and this may cause burns when flesh comes into contact with the head.
#2 Hertzko Electric Dog Nail Grinder
The Hertzko Dog Nail Grinder is versatile as it is ideal for grooming most breeds of dogs – including the larger and smaller dog breeds. If you have a pup that is sensitive to noise, rest assured that they will be comfortable with this nail grinder because it has low vibration and noise.
At $23 (at times, it will even be cheaper, we managed to snag it at $15), it is 25% cheaper than our top pick.
It is a plastic grinder that is designed to be ergonomic as it is portable, lightweight, and can be utilized outdoors. It is pretty simple to use. You can recharge this nail grinder through the electric cord or USB outlet with a built-in battery.
Moreover, this unit performs multiple functions. It grooms, trims, shapes, and smoothens the nails of your pooch painlessly.
This Hertzko Nail Grinder is effective and extremely affordable. It makes grinding of the nails a pleasant experience for your pet pooch with its multiple functionalities.
- This Hertzko product features a Diamond Bit Grinder that can be used in a variety of ways, such as for grooming, shaping, trimming, and smoothing a pooch’s nails.
- The relatively quiet operation of the Hertzko nail grinder ensures that it can be used without startling and, consequently, generating fear and resistance from dogs.
- This electric nail grinder comes in three different size openings to ensure compatibility with pooches of different sizes.
- The ergonomic design of this dog nail grinder will fit comfortably in most users’ hands, thereby ensuring that the nail grinding procedure is convenient for the operator.
- The Hertzko electric dog nail grinder comes with a micro USB cord that ensures the product can be charged and used to grind a pooch’s nails anywhere.
- It is considerably difficult to replace the drill bit in this grinder.
- Several customers claim that this Hertzko product doesn’t generate enough power to effectively grind their dog’s nails.
#3 BOSHEL Dog Nail Grinder
According to Boshel, its Dog Nail Grinder is recommended by professionals, such as veterinarians, professionals in pet grooming, animal trainers, and by its consumers as the best nail grinder for small and large dogs.
It is ergonomic and designed powerfully to be used in-house. This device is a portable and lightweight one that is comfortable to use and is painless to the dog’s paws. The cordless machine features a user-friendly and upgraded single-speed motor that is extremely quiet.
It is rechargeable and has an included USB charging cable. Moreover, it is beneficial and can be used for dogs of different sizes. Its noise level is extremely low, causing minimal discomfort to your pet pooch.
- BOSHEL’s dog nail grinder features a strong 8,000 RPM motor that provides users with two different cutting speeds, which makes it possible to adjust to the individual demands of grinding dog nails.
- The lightweight and portable design can be comfortably handled for long nail grinding sessions, in addition to being easily maneuverable to make it convenient for users to reach all corners of the dog’s paws.
- The diamond bit grinder that comes with this BOSHEL product offers a safe and effective means of grinding canine nails.
- The grinder bit of this dog nail grinder features two differently sized holes that can accommodate different bits, thereby making this product suitable for various sizes of dog nails.
- Customers can easily remove the bit cap of this dog nail grinder when grooming the nails of a large-sized pooch.
- As stated by several customers, the noise generated by this BOSHEL product when being used to grind nails scares dogs.
- This nail grinder tends to overheat fairly quickly and burn a dog’s nails, resulting in injuries for the pooch.
#4 GHG Dog Nail Grinder
The GHG dog nail grinder comes with an advanced diamond bit grinder. This makes it more powerful yet effective, precise, and safe.
Under the grinder is an LED light that shines and illuminates the area you are working on, thereby assisting you to see clearly and prevent accidental injuries to your pet. You have the option to keep the light on or off.
This grinder is a 2000mAh cordless device that can work for up to 10 hours. While having a powerful motor, the grinder works fairly silently at 40 dB. It will not startle your dogs and will keep them calm while you work on their paws.
There are three rotation speed settings you can work with. The two ports work for all pet sizes and nail hardness. You can charge your grinder anywhere, thanks to the USB charging cable. When the charge is low, the LED will flash to remind you to recharge.
A noise-controlled nail grinder is perfect for anxious pets. The LED light and diamond bit grinder help you groom your pet safely and precisely. We love that you can charge it anywhere with the USB charging cable. The configurable speed setting means that you can groom dogs of any size with ease.
- The GHG nail grinder comes with three non-identical ports, as well as three rotational speed settings that provide variety and ensure this product’s suitability for grinding different sizes of dog nails.
- This nail grinder’s intuitive features include a flashing LED light that shows customers when the battery is low and indicates that it is time to recharge.
- Customers can safely dismantle this grinder’s safeguard cap and nail grinder stone for convenience in cleaning and maintenance.
- The anti-slip design of this dog nail grinder’s body provides a firm grip and ensures that customers won’t have to deal with constantly readjusting the equipment when grinding their dogs’ nails.
- The diamond bit grinder that comes with this product lasts for a considerable period and can be used to safely grind a pooch’s nails without causing harm to the dog in question.
- This dog nail grinder generates a lot of dust that tends to affect the user’s visibility while grinding.
- This GHG product can’t be easily used to grind canine dewclaws.
#5 JBONEST Dog Nail Grinder
The JBONEST Dog Nail Grinder is a professional and rechargeable pet nail trimmer. This is a 2000mAh cordless grinder that can work for up to 20 hours. The pack comes with a USB charging cable that you can use on a power bank, laptop, or AC adapter to keep you connected. The speed is adjustable at two speeds depending on the nail hardness.
The motor design is noise controlled at 40 dB, which is perfect for anxious pets. The grinder has three ports to choose from, depending on your pet’s size. The grinder has an advanced diamond bit grinder for safe and precise grooming.
This is a powerful grinder from JBONEST, yet it is of a low-noise design. It works for any kind of pet dog, thanks to its 3-port setting. We also love that you can charge the grinder at any time with a USB charging cable. The grinder is cordless and can work for up to 20 hours, so there is no need to charge before each use.
- JBONEST’s nail grinder is designed with speed regulation that makes it easy for users to adjust the equipment’s grinding speed, to any of two preset speeds, in accordance with the hardness of the pooch’s nails.
- This dog nail grinder is equipped with three different ports that are compatible with and can be adjusted accordingly for small, medium, and large dogs.
- The advanced diamond bit grinder that comes with this JBONEST product offers fast and powerful grinding of dog nails.
- The JBONEST nail grinder features a USB charging port, and the product package usually includes a USB cable that can be connected to various power outlets to charge and use the grinder.
- This dog nail grinder comes with a 2000mAh battery that lasts for a considerable period on a single charge.
- Contrary to what is advertised, the JBONEST dog nail grinder doesn’t always come with a nail file and different size guards.
- Several customers claim that this product isn’t powerful enough to grind large dog nails.
#6 Casfuy Dog Nail Grinder
With the best in dog safety, comfort, and convenience, Casfuy’s Dog Nail Grinder will be able to handle all your dreaded dog nail grinding needs. The top-of-the-line battery lasts for a whopping two hours!
So, no more fretting about forgetting to charge the tool. You can use this nail grinder with ease all week long. With low noise and vibration construction, you can comfortably carry on with other tasks without interrupting yourself or the dog.
Also, it features a clever design – an auxiliary charging cable that can plug directly into any USB device, including your phone wall chargers, iPad chargers, or even laptop computers for uninterrupted use.
This tool from Casfuy is made from industry-grade materials that ensure durability. It can be used for two hours on a full charge within three hours and is suitable for all sizes of dog paws.
- Casfuy’s nail grinder features a 2-speed setting and comes with a switch that makes it convenient for users to select different speed options when grinding dog nails.
- This dog nail grinder comes with three ports that are suitable for grinding the nails of small, medium, and large-sized pooches.
- The low-noise technology used in producing this nail grinder provides quiet operation and ensures that dogs don’t get stressed or antsy while their nails are being treated.
- The ergonomic, anti-slip design of this dog nail grinder is comfortable to hold and ensures that customers can conveniently maneuver the equipment while grinding their dogs’ nails.
- By including a USB port, the rechargeable design of this dog nail grinder makes it possible to grind canine nails on the go.
- Multiple customers claim that this dog nail grinder takes a considerably long time to effectively grind their pooches’ nails.
- The battery unit of this dog nail grinder tends to break down and stop holding a charge only after a few months of use.
#7 Razoo Dog Nail Grinder
The Razoo Dog Nail Grinder is the best nail grinder from Razoo. With 40 dB of sound and a powerful motor, it’s perfect for your dog’s nails.
It also has a rechargeable 2200mAh Li battery that lasts up to five hours on a full charge, so you’re free to go on with your day without worrying about running out of juice – no more paperweight! It comes with a superior diamond bit grinder, so you don’t have to worry about size or strength limits.
Equipped with an extremely silent motor, it operates without much noise at all (<50 dB). Because it runs off of battery power, the grinder doesn’t make any loud popping or clicking sounds like most other manual methods used for nail grinding do.
And even if your dog’s nails are extra thick—most grinders would just get bogged down by these types of nails—the Razoo Dog Nail Grinder is powerful enough to go after troublesome claws too.
The Razoo Dog Nail Grinder is suitable for heavy-duty trimming, grooming, smoothening and shaping the paws of your dog without any pain.
- This nail grinder from Razoo offers customers two different rotation speeds, depending on the hardness of the pooch’s nails, to ensure straightforward grinding.
- This product’s diamond bit grinder, which is powered by a strong motor, can be safely used to grind pooch’s nails, and it also lasts for a significant period.
- The Razoo nail grinder typically operates at noise levels below 50 dB, thereby ensuring that dogs remain calm and comfortable during the nail grinding procedure.
- The intuitive LCD battery display of this dog nail grinder makes it possible for customers to obtain information about the equipment’s battery levels at a glance.
- This dog nail grinder comes with single-press buttons for conveniently switching the equipment on and off or switching between grinding speeds.
- Several owners of dogs with large and thick nails have commented that this product took too long to effectively grind their canine buddies’ nails.
- The Razoo nail grinder tends to get dangerously hot fairly quickly.
#8 Oster Gentle Paws Less Stress Nail Grinder
If you are familiar with dog nail grinders, you may have already heard of the Oster brand. Its Gentle Paws Less Stress Nail Grinder is designed for grinding down your dog’s nails, no matter how hard the nails are. The kit comes with grinding bands to assist you in your grinding task.
The device is lightweight and can be held on a single hand while freeing up your other hand to pacify your pooch as you work on its nails. In this way, grinding your dog’s nails is a less stressful situation and you can complete the grinding task quicker. It also works well for cats.
This tool from Oster has been tested on various breeds of dogs and cats, thereby assuring customers of its versatility. Its adjustable safety ensures a pain-free experience for your pet pooch.
- The ergonomic design of the Oster Gentle Paws nail grinder provides users with a firm and comfortable grip during dog nail trimming operations.
- Oster Gentle Paws nail grinder features an adjustable safety guard that ensures that users don’t trim their dogs’ nails too far and injure the pooches in the process.
- The switches used to turn this nail grinder on and off, as well as switch between speeds, provide users with convenient, one-touch operation.
- This dog nail grinder from Oster Gentle is designed to capture nail filings and ensure that customers don’t have to spend additional time cleaning up after trimming their pooches’ nails.
- This dog nail grinder comes with attachments such as a coarse stone, as well as coarse and fine bands to ensure that the nail grinding process goes smoothly.
- The grinder’s file head tends to loosen when in use, and customers frequently have to reattach this component, thereby prolonging the nail grinding procedure.
- The instruction manual that accompanies this dog nail grinder doesn’t contain sufficient information to guide inexperienced users on how to assemble the equipment.
#9 Wahl Professional Dog Nail Grinder
The Wahl Professional Dog Nail Grinder is the perfect nail grinder for any dog owner, professional or novice. The ergonomic design and finger grips make a long grooming session go quicker.
With its variable speed of up to 13,000 rpm, it has never been easier to get your pup’s nails trimmed! This powerful pet trimmer also features an Automatic Safety-Stop feature that helps prevent accidental hair winding and pulling while sharpening the nails.
Complete with 11 attachments and safety measures, this Do-It-Yourself is perfect for dog owners with a higher budget and a need for increased safety features in their dog nail grinders.
With an 13,000 rpm motor, it is a heavy-duty dog nail grinder that can file away even the toughest of nails. It is designed to be very user-friendly.
- This product can be used in a variety of ways, including for grinding, trimming, and shaping rough dog nails, with a variable speed system – up to 13,000 RPM – ensuring that the equipment can capably handle these tasks.
- Wahl’s professional dog nail grinder features an ergonomic design with finger grips to provide users with a firm handle and better control when operating the equipment.
- The Wahl nail grinder comes with a limited one-year warranty to provide users with security in the event that the equipment suddenly stops working.
- Wahl’s product package comes with a durable storage case for holding the nail grinder and its multiple accessories when they aren’t in use.
- This dog nail grinder features an automatic safety stop system that activates to prevent accidental hair winding and pulling when using the equipment with dogs that have long coats.
- It’s difficult to get the grinder’s bit to tighten in its shaft, and there are no instructions explaining how to do so.
- This grinder’s sanding paper frequently slides off while the equipment is in use; moreover, constantly having to re-adjust this component is somewhat an inconvenience for most users.
#10 Rexipets Dog Nail Grinder
Rexipets Dog Nail Grinder is a cost-effective and perfect solution to the goal of promoting healthy, beautiful dog nails. This cordless nail grinders’ bit head is designed with diamond, and it has two speeds for more flexibility when grinding your pup’s nails.
The entire machine weighs 6 lbs which means that it is both lightweight and portable; its ergonomic design helps to ensure that you can get into tight spots without much difficulty or discomfort.
What sets this nail grinder apart from others on the market are its three differently sized ports – 2 mm (thickness), 3 mm (medium thickness), and 5 mm (coarse). With these three settings, no matter what breed our furry friends might be, this nail grinder can work its magic on all of them.
This grinder tool from Rexipets makes trimming the paws of your pet pooch a pain-free experience for both of you. You do not have to worry about the cord because it operates cordlessly.
- The advanced diamond bit grinder featured on this REXIPETS product provides a high level of precision and control for grinding canine nails.
- The three size ports included on this dog nail grinder make this product suitable for use with different sizes of dogs, ranging from small to medium and heavy.
- REXIPETS’ nail grinder features a special LED light that provides illumination and ensures that users can safely grind their dogs’ nails in low-light conditions.
- Its rechargeable battery design enables customers to use the tool even when there is no access to electricity, and it is also a greener option since it does not require battery replacement when it runs flat.
- The lightweight, portable design of this REXIPETS grinder provides excellent and comfortable handling for customers.
- This nail grinder tends to generate a significant amount of noise when in use, and this usually scares dogs.
- The grinder’s bit occasionally pops out while the equipment is in use, regardless of the speed setting that is being used.
#11 Bell + Howell PAWPERFECT Pet Nail Rotating File
This tool is the last item on our list.
This PAWPERFECT rotating file is designed after the conventional nail trimmer, but it is made to be far more powerful and safer. It has enough power to suit your needs, varying from the low mode to the high mode.
However, do note that this is a battery-powered nail grinder and is not rechargeable. It requires three AA batteries to be purchased separately. So, over time, the cost of getting new AA batteries will add up, making this option less economical than the rechargeable options.
This product from PAWPERFECT combines all the features that you need in a grinder, making it a paw-perfect tool. Its design offers ultimate safety and efficiency.
- Customers can conveniently switch between two different nail grinding speeds – 5,000 and 7,000 RPM – just by pressing a button on this equipment.
- The built-in LED light that comes with this rotating file automatically activates when the grinder is turned up and makes it easier for customers to groom their dogs’ nails in low-light conditions.
- This nail rotating file comes with a protective sheath to cover the grinder’s rotating head and prevent accidents when this equipment is in use.
- The slip-free handle design of this Bell + Howell grinder ensures a comfortable grip for customers when using this product to groom their dogs’ nails.
- This product comes with both fine and super-fine nail fines that can be used to create smooth finishes after grinding dog nails.
- The absence of a power cord or a rechargeable design means that customers will occasionally have to spend more for AA battery replacements, making this tool a less green option.
- This nail grinder product reportedly takes a long time to provide users with the desired trim and finish.
Dog Nail Grinder Buyer’s Guide
As a dog parent, you know that owning a pet pooch comes with many different responsibilities. One of them is helping them to keep their nails short and trim.
According to the American Kennel Club, long and overgrown nails could cause pain and irreversible damage to your canine companion.
So, keeping the nails of your dog trimmed continuously is essential. It helps with your pooch’s overall well-being and reduces the damage to your expensive upholstery and carpets.
There are various ways to keep your dog’s nails short, but one of the safest and, probably, easiest methods is with a nail grinder. It works through a “sandpapering” process of grinding down your dog’s nail.
We understand that it can be difficult to choose the right nail grinder for your canine companion, that’s why we came up with this buyer’s guide to help you to make your choice better.
Related: Best Dog Nail Clippers
Dog Nail Clippers Or Dog Nail Grinders?
By now, you should be aware of the importance of trimming the nails of your furry friend regularly. So, you ought to check your pooch paws from time to time to ensure that their nails are not extending out of their footpad.
As a general guide, you need to trim your dog’s nails once every 1 to 2 months.
Another way of knowing when it is time to trim is when you hear the sound of your dog’s nails clicking when it walks on hard surfaces.
When it is time to trim, you must decide between nail clippers and nail grinders for your dog.
Which is the better option?
It really depends. Both the dog nail grinders and the nail clippers have their own advantages. However, our observation seems to indicate that most groomers, dog owners, and veterinarians prefer using a nail grinder.
This is because grinding the nails of your pooch is a safer option. There is no risk of you mistakenly cutting into the cuticle bed of your dog and causing an injury. The process of clipping nails requires a fair amount of pressure to be placed on the dog’s nail. This can be a discomforting process for your pooch. Also, clipping can leave behind nail splinters or jagged edges, which are not as smooth as a trimmed nail.
In general, your furry four-legged friends will find it easier to sit for grinding because it is a gentler and gradual process. As with any other dog accessories, you still must introduce the grinder gradually to your pooch to let them get used to it.
When used correctly, dog nail grinders are extremely safe and dog-friendly.
Related: Best Dog Grooming Tools
Now that you are convinced about getting a canine nail grinder, we have listed a few factors to consider before making that purchase.
Not all dog nail grinders are not created equal, so you have to be aware of the different features. This will help you to find one that best suits your needs.
Speed Or Power Of Nail Grinder
Similar to humans, your dog’s nails are made from a tough protein known as Keratin. The key difference is that our nails only have one layer, but your dog’s nails have two distinct layers.
With two layers, you need a nail grinder that has enough power to get the job done. Our recommendation is to choose one that has a powerful motor to give it enough speed and strength to deal with the toughest of nails.
Dog nail grinders that need electricity as their power source can be uncomfortable to use especially when you have a skittish canine companion.
This requires the dog nail grinder to be connected to the power source through a cable, thus restricting the range of your movement to the length of your cable.
As a result, you have only a small area to go about your nail trimming process on your beloved dog. Keeping your pooch within this area could be a challenging task.
On the other hand, a trimmer that operates with batteries frees you from such limitations. There’s a catch though. Dog nail grinders with rechargeable batteries tend to be costlier, so be prepared to pay a premium for this convenience. But the good thing is that if it’s rechargeable, you don’t have to worry about always replacing batteries.
Ease Of Using
A grinder should be lightweight and easy to hold in the hands. If it is heavy and difficult to handle, grinding away the nails of your pet pooch will be a much harder and more challenging process.
We recommend visiting your local retailer or pet store to have a touch and feel of how the grinder will be.
How Durable It Is?
Everyone wants a tool that is made to last.
It’s the same for a canine nail grinder too. It should be manufactured from solid, high-quality materials such as plastic of high density. Keep a lookout for a diamond bit nail grinder – they tend to last longer.
Noise And Vibration
As much as possible, do get a canine nail grinder that has the least amount of noise and vibration.
Especially with dogs that are not yet accustomed to the nail grinding process, the noise and vibration can create an uncomfortable environment for your furry companion.
With a nervous pooch, it’s better to get a nail grinder that has multiple speed options. Start with the slowest speed to let your pooch get used to the sound, vibration, and the process of grinding its nail.
Once they are more comfortable with this process, work your way up the speed levels. Always remember to use positive reinforcement and prepare a few treats along the way.
Furthermore, dog nail grinders with variable speeds allow you to grind away the outer nail quickly and slow down the speed as you get closer to the claw. Hence, the chance of injury is reduced.
Read Customers Reviews
We have provided a list of nail grinders that we think are the best in the market. But you should do your own research too. Ask around your friends and family to see if they might have any recommendations.
Also, you can check out online retailers, like Amazon, to read actual customer reviews of their canine nail grinders.
The steps of using a canine nail grinder are generally similar across the different models. However, there might be slight differences in how they are operated. So be sure to read their user manual before using it on your pooch.
Here are some basic facts that you need to be aware of:
- You need to have a full understanding of your dog’s nail anatomy, especially the pink quick. This is so that while grinding, avoid getting too close to the blood vessels which can hurt your pooch.
- If it is your first time grinding, you must start very slow and take much care while grinding until you become more familiar with the process. Here’s an instructive 2-minute video that shows you the proper steps of grinding nails.
- Decide on which nail you need to trim before you start the grinding process.
- Try making your pooch aware of the grinder before you start. Let your pooch know and associate the nail grinder with positive reinforcement such as treats. This helps to make your furry friend less jittery.
- If you find that your nail grinder heats up easily, be sure to take breaks of 10 to 20 seconds to let it cool down. Overheating of the grinder could scald your skin and we wouldn’t want that to happen.
Related: Best Dog Grooming Scissors
Start young to accustom your pooch to nail grinding!
Nail grinding is an easy process if you follow the right procedure and get the best tool for the job.
From our research, we believe our top pick is the best model available in the market right now. Not only is this tool manufactured by an established brand but also it offers superior features when compared to its peers. Its rechargeable battery feature further adds convenience and portability.