Is your otherwise playful canine buddy’s dry skin making it dull and inactive, thus taking a toll on your companionship? To get your doggie rid of dry skin, we’ve compiled a list of the best dog shampoo for dry skin, and we’re sure you’ll find the perfect formulation for your pet.
#1 PET SILK Rain Forest Shampoo
- THROUGH CLEANSING: Give your pet a clean, shiny and smooth coat with our pet hair shampoo. Let your pet play in the...
- DELICATE FLORAL SCENT: Great smelling pets are loved by all! Your cute little pooch will feel refreshed for a long time...
- SAY NO TO HARSH CHEMICALS: Never treat your pooch with harsh chemicals which may cause allergies or damages to its...
PET SILK Rain Forest Shampoo contains a unique blend of non-harmful cleansing agents, natural ingredients, and moisturizing agents. This pet-friendly formulation ensures that your dog’s skin stays moisturized, thus acting as a remedy for dogs with dry skin.
Silk fibers, being a major component of this formulation, are well-known for their role in adding shine and luster to your pet’s coat whilst preserving the moisture content of the skin.
Besides cleansing and moisturizing agents, nourishing ingredients present in the shampoo play a key role in rejuvenating your pet’s dry skin. A unique floral scent added to this recipe makes your pet smell great too.
It can prove to be a boon for pet owners and pets alike because this shampoo is suitable for all other furry pets, such as rabbits, cats, horses, etc.
This product from PET SILK is our top-most pick because a deeply moisturizing shampoo with a long-lasting floral scent is all you’ll need for a pet with dry skin. The harsh synthetic ingredients react readily with dry skin and cause irritation, that’s why no harsh chemicals have been added to this product.
- This shampoo comes in a 16-oz bottle and in assorted scents, including Rainforest Scent, Oatmeal, Tropical Forest, Tea Tree, or Rosemary Mint, such that you can choose the right option you think will work best for your furry friend.
- This shampoo’s formulation helps to soothe your puppy’s dry skin to avoid flaking or dandruff, which can make them feel uncomfortable.
- The product helps to condition your furry friend’s coat, leaving it bouncy and soft.
- It is made of natural ingredients that are perfect for pups with allergies, itchiness, or skin dryness.
- The floral fragrance in this shampoo helps to battle bad odor so your doggie can smell fresh all day.
- For some pup owners, the shampoo fragrance was found unexpectedly not long-lasting.
- It may cause a negative reaction if your doggie has extreme allergies.
#2 Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Dog Shampoo
- GENTLE SOOTHING – Helps promote a healthy skin and coat free of flaky, dry, or overly oily skin that may be caused by...
- FAST ACTING – Works fast with powerful ingredients that help shed dry skin and hydrate your pet's skin. Wash and soak...
- VET-RECOMMENDED – This paraben, dye, and soap-free pet shampoo has gentle cleansers and is made without damaging...
This medicated shampoo from Veterinary Formula is very effective in treating multiple skin conditions which result in dry skin. Its major ingredients include coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur.
Coal tar is best known for its effectiveness in treating seborrheic dermatitis, a condition characterized by dry, scaly patches on the skin. Micronized sulfur has proven results in treating several skin conditions, such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis, which are all major causes of skin irritation.
In addition to its powerful skin benefits, colloidal oatmeal and Allantoin keep your bongo’s skin hydrated and promote the healing of dry and chapped skin. It’s a fast-acting formula that manages to reduce dryness, inflammation, and skin irritation effectively.
Looking for an All-In-One skincare shampoo that comes at economical pricing? Here you go! Veterinary Formula has somehow managed to formulate this medicated skincare shampoo that takes care of your pet’s dry skin and other skin conditions. We’d highly recommend you go for this shampoo if its effectiveness and cost-friendly nature are your top priorities.
- This medicated dog shampoo comes in a coconut scent and is available in 16-oz or 128-oz.
- This shampoo is free of dyes, parabens, and soap, and it will safely clean your pup without washing away any tick or flea treatments they may be using.
- It contains coal tar that helps to soothe seborrheic dermatitis and micronized Sulphur which helps to slow down parasite infections while soothing inflamed skin.
- It has salicylic acid, which helps with dry skin challenges like flaking or itching, and also has oatmeal and allantoin for skin hydration and overall healing.
- This special shampoo is ideal for doggies over 12 weeks of age, and its formulation employs a lower pH than human shampoo, which means it will not cause any irritation or reaction.
- It can cause irritation to your doggie’s eyes due to its strong formulation.
- Some pups experienced falling clumps of fur and skin reddening that was hot to the touch.
#3 OLIVER’S CHOICE Dog Shampoo
- Specifically designed to deodorize and leave your dog smelling amazing and their coat restored!
- Infused with a blend of Oatmeal, Aloe, and Shea Butter fragrance, this pet shampoo is safe for all dogs and puppies!...
- Oliver's Choice clinically designed formula is made in the USA, is biodegradable, paraben free, cruelty free, and...
Packaged in a 14-oz bottle, OLIVER’S CHOICE dog shampoo works best against dry, itchy skin and soothes irritated skin, bringing instant relief to the dog.
The primary natural ingredients present in this formulation are oatmeal, shea butter, and aloe vera. Let’s take a closer look at each ingredient.
Firstly, oatmeal is renowned for its efficacy in moisturizing and nourishing the dog’s skin. Shea butter acts as an excellent alternative to harmful lathering chemicals which cause irritation to sensitive skin. Lastly, aloe vera helps to heal the skin, on top of its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
The resulting fragrance from this blend would make the smelliest dog smell fresh and sweet. In addition, all the ingredients are not pre-tested on animals, making the product cruelty-free.
If your pet’s skin often stays dry and is very sensitive, the best option will be to treat it with this 100% natural shampoo from OLIVER’S CHOICE. This product comes with the goodness of natural ingredients, ensuring that your doggie’s skin gets nourished and moisturized without irritation.
- This dog shampoo is a blend of oatmeal, shea butter, and aloe, making this product the perfect deodorized shampoo to keep your dog odor-free and their skin deeply moisturized.
- Its formulation is gentle to the skin, and it is ideal for both pups and adult doggies.
- It is made of natural ingredients, and the formulation is free of parabens and other harmful ingredients while also being biodegradable and cruelty-free.
- This shampoo is perfect for leaving your pup’s coat lustrous and soft to the touch, thanks to the lanolin component, which helps with flaky and itchy skin.
- 100% product satisfaction is guaranteed by the manufacturer, or you get a refund and also keep the bottle you purchased as a gift.
- Some pups lose clumps of fur after continued use of the shampoo.
- Some doggies experienced a rash in some parts of their body as a reaction to the shampoo.
#4 K9 Pro Oatmeal Dog Shampoo And Conditioner
- Most Other Shampoo For Dogs Are Cheap Soaps - Many With Harsh Chemicals And Detergents - K9-Max Is An All Natural Soap...
- Proprietary Liposome Technology - Nano Liposome particles encapsulate the organic functional ingredients, adhere to the...
- K9-Max Is The Highest Quality Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo - We didn't sacrifice quality when we set out to produce the...
K9 Pro Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is an all-natural product, more effective than synthetic shampoo. Its effectiveness is due to Nano Liposome technology which ensures that natural ingredients penetrate deep into your canine friend’s skin.
Its all-natural primary ingredients are oatmeal and aloe vera, making this shampoo an effective formulation for treating dry, itchy, and sensitive skin. It’s because both ingredients are widely known for their moisturizing and nourishing properties.
If you’re concerned about whether the ingredients of a typical pet shampoo will harm your pet’s skin, this all-natural dog shampoo and conditioner from K9 Pro is the answer. Besides, its unique blend of cucumber essence and ripe melon extract gives this shampoo a refreshing scent.
- This is a 2-in-1 formula with an aloe oatmeal scent which means it functions as a shampoo for proper cleaning and conditioner to take care of your pup’s skin and coat while keeping your pup odor-free.
- It is made of natural ingredients like ripe melon extract and cucumber extract, and it is also free of toxic chemicals that can harm your pup’s skin.
- It contains nano Liposome particles which help the natural ingredients in this shampoo to stick to the surface while safely penetrating the skin so it can work longer.
- This product is a hypoallergenic, soap-free shampoo perfect for dry, itchy, and sensitive skin.
- They offer a 100% money-back guarantee if unsatisfied with this shampoo.
- Some pup owners felt that the shampoo is rather watery, which means larger pups will need a lot of it to get clean, making it expensive.
- It’s more suited for short-haired doggies as it causes hair to fall out in those with more fur.
#5 Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo
- BABY YOUR BABY - For tender new puppy skin or dogs with sensitive dermal conditions, our kindest shampoo is formulated...
- NATURE’S BEST INGREDIENTS - Made with aloe vera extract, which smoothes the cuticle surface and seals in moisture for...
- SAFE, EFFECTIVE, NATURAL - No masking dyes. No drying alcohols. No parabens that can mess up a dog’s endocrine system....
After a day of frolicking in the dirt and sun, it is great to pamper your dog with a nice spa-like bath. Whether your dog has delicate, irritable skin or you want a shampoo to help condition its coat, the Rocco & Roxie dog shampoo has everything your dog needs.
It is formulated in 3 different varieties depending on the treatment you want. For dogs with delicate skins, the Calm Hypoallergenic Shampoo has aloe vera extracts that soothe skin and rosemary extracts that stimulate follicle growth.
For dry and itchy skin, there is the Soothe Oatmeal Shampoo, which contains oat extracts and shea butter to help seal in the moisture within the skin layer. And, for a nice healthy coat, the Shine Conditioning Shampoo works best with its added argan oil and vitamin A ingredients that help restore the coat’s natural luster.
The unique formulation of Rocco & Roxie dog shampoo is gentle on your dog’s skin, and frequent washing with this shampoo will not dry out its skin. The shampoo is thick and does not lather up like other products, but it does the job pretty well.
- This shampoo is available in either a 16-oz or 32-oz bottle and comes in Calm, Smooth, or Shine options, each with a specific purpose for your doggie’s skin and coat.
- The Calm shampoo is perfect for newborn pups and those with sensitive skin, as it does not contain any dyes, paraben, alcohol, or phosphates.
- This shampoo contains aloe vera extract, which helps to smooth the cuticle surface while at the same time keeping the skin and coat moisturized.
- It also contains gentle chamomile to help the follicles to stimulate hair growth while also soothing your pup’s skin.
- You can enjoy a 100% money-back guarantee if you are unsatisfied with this shampoo.
- The shampoo does not have enough lather, according to some doggie owners.
- Some pups experienced rashes and itching after using this shampoo.
#6 Nature’s Miracle Oatmeal Shampoo
- Formulated with an odor neutralizer & deodorizer for tough pet coat odors
- Natural cocoa surfactant shampoo cleans & conditions
- OATMEAL FORMULA: The product is formulated with no dyes or parabens and soothes and hydrates the skin.
For an overall clean and healthy coat and skin, Nature’s Miracle dog shampoo is a great shampoo to try on your dog. It is an oatmeal-based dog shampoo and conditioner accompanied by an odor-neutralizer.
Oatmeal is extensively used in natural pet shampoo because it not only moisturizes dry skin but also soothes inflamed, irritated skin, reliving symptoms of hot spots and allergies.
Furthermore, natural cocoa is present in this formulation, and this supplies your doggie’s skin with essential vitamins and minerals, thereby nourishing its skin and hair.
For pets with severely dried-up skin, Nature’s Miracle is all you need. The presence of natural ingredients, such as oatmeal and cocoa, makes this product a strong moisturizer and nourisher.
Essential minerals, such as magnesium and zinc, are present in cocoa which further supplement the overall hygiene of your pet’s scalp. Lastly, its honey sage scent leaves a fresh, sweet smell on your dog.
- This shampoo is available in its original formula and comes either in a 16-oz or 32-oz bottle for you to choose from, depending on your pup’s size and bath frequency.
- Its formulation contains oatmeal, an ingredient responsible for soothing the skin while keeping it well hydrated.
- This shampoo is an odor neutralizer and comes only in one scented option, an inviting honey sage scent.
- It is a natural cocoa surfactant shampoo that keeps your doggie clean for longer, helps to reduce static electricity, and also retains the skin’s essential oils.
- This is a soap-free shampoo that will not wash away tick or flea products, and it is also free of paraben and dyes.
- Pups with extra sensitive skin may experience bumps and rashes after use.
- Some pup owners felt that the odor returned quicker and stronger, which means it does not work for them as an effective odor neutralizer.
#7 Earthbath Oatmeal And Aloe Shampoo
- HELPS RELIEVE ITCHING & DRY SKIN: This set includes one 16 oz shampoo and one 16 oz conditioner. Specially formulated...
- NATURAL & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Blended with the finest ingredients, such as renewable plant-derived cleansers and...
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE: Our products are designed with the health of your beloved, furry friend in mind. We believe the...
This special Oatmeal and Aloe formulation from Earthbath addresses the needs of pets with itchy, dry skin.
Dry skin naturally tends to be sensitive and gets irritated very often. That’s why, Earthbath shampoo comes with a pH-balanced, soap-free formula that cleanses and moisturizes your doggie without irritation.
Aloe vera heals the chapped, dry skin, while oatmeal re-moisturizes the dry skin. The product’s vanilla and oatmeal fragrance deodorizes your pet and keeps it smelling fresh for days.
Tired of your pet’s persisting skin irritation? Go for Earthbath Oatmeal and Aloe Shampoo, and thank us later! Your pet’s dry skin will stay moisturized and healthy after a few playful baths with this shampoo.
- This is a shampoo and conditioner set from Earthbath for your doggies, and it is available in vanilla and almond fragrance.
- This shampoo contains colloidal oatmeal, which prevents skin irritation, and organic aloe vera, which promotes healing and keeps sensitive skin moisturized.
- It is made of all-natural ingredients, which means it is safe for doggies with sensitive skin, and it is also free of sulfates, phthalates, or parabens.
- This is a safe and versatile shampoo suitable for doggies and cats over the age of six weeks.
- The manufacturer uses recyclable packaging for environmental sustainability, and for every purchase, it also donates to animal shelters and rescues.
- Customer feedback has reported that some doggies may experience increased itch and dander due to this shampoo.
- Some pups with longer fur can experience matting.
Dog Shampoo For Dry Skin Buyer’s Guide
Picking a dog shampoo for your beloved dog to tackle the issues caused by dry skin requires knowledge prior to a trip down to the supermarket or a pet wellness store. Making an informed decision on the purchase of a dog shampoo will save you money, anxiety, and, most importantly, your dog’s comfort and life. To gain this knowledge, let’s take a closer look at the causes of dry skin.
Common Causes Of Dry Skin In Dogs
Dry skin in dogs should not be taken lightly because its causes can range from mild skin infections to severe skin-related diseases. Most commonly, dry skin in dogs is due to a bacterial infection arising from a bite of flea/tick/termite or a skin-dwelling parasite. Other causes can include rare hereditary diseases known as alopecia, canine distemper, Cushing’s disease, fish scale disease, and many others.
You should use a relevant dog shampoo for dry skin provided in the list above before consulting a vet because most of the time, dry skin gets healed just by making use of genuine dog shampoo for dry skin. However, if the condition persists, you’re advised to consult a vet because it’s not possible for a layman to diagnose the disease which might be causing dry skin.
Is Your Dog Suffering From Dry Skin?
Diagnosing that your dog is suffering from dry skin might not be as easy as you think. It’s because the symptoms of dry skin may vary from one dog to another. However, there’s a set of common symptoms that can help you in deciding whether your dog has dry skin.
The symptoms include:
- Flaky skin
- Unpleasant smell
- Scaly dermis
Among the above-mentioned symptoms, itchiness is the most common symptom, and it is manifested in most canine friends more often than the other symptoms. Hence, a visit to a vet is recommended if you can’t figure out the problem by yourself.
Benefits Of Dry Skin Shampoos For Dogs
Dog shampoos formulated for dry skin are specifically formulated with a multitude of moisturizing agents that keep your four-legged friend’s skin hydrated and give it relief from dryness and its associated issues, such as irritation, inflammation, etc.
Unlike regular dog shampoos, this lot of shampoos come with a pH-balanced formula that maintains the pH levels of your pet’s skin, thus preventing flaky, dry skin. Such shampoos have a soothing effect and help your pet control the constant itch, which will otherwise give rise to additional skin problems.
Some dry skin shampoos for pets contain oils that act against bacterial and fungal infections because dry skin often results from skin infections. Flea and tick bites can also give rise to skin infections which can, in turn, cause dry skin in your doggie. Therefore, oils, like lavender oil, can be present to serve as a repellent against flies and ticks.
Main Ingredients Of Dry Skin Shampoos
The chief ingredients that make up most dog shampoos for dry skin are oatmeal, shea butter, and aloe vera.
Itchiness, commonly associated with dry skin, is relieved by oatmeal. It is rich in itch-relieving natural chemicals, like avenanthramides and phenols. Oatmeal also helps in the restoration and maintenance of the normal pH of a pet’s dry scalp. It’s highly effective in relieving symptoms of multiple skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, allergies, and tick bites.
Dry skin is often associated with inflammation, flakiness, itchiness, and other issues. However, aloe vera has healing and soothing properties. It thus not only repairs the damage caused to the skin but also manages the symptoms associated with it.
Some pet shampoos contain shea butter as one of the core ingredients used in making the shampoo. This is because of its moisturizing and healing properties. It helps a great deal in soothing your dog’s dry skin patches, dry paws, etc.
Cocoa can be used as a remedy to relieve dry skin. Being abundant in fatty acids, it helps in managing dryness of skin caused due to skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It also acts as a moisturizer for flaky, dry skin, thereby posing as a perfect ingredient for dry skin shampoos.
Things To Consider When Buying A Dog Shampoo For Dry Skin
Thinking of buying a dog shampoo for dry skin? Here’s the checklist of essential things you need to keep in mind before buying one.
If your furry friend’s dry skin has been giving it a hard time, you should look for a shampoo with healing properties that is capable of healing the damage caused due to dry skin, like rashes, etc. The best option, in this case, will be to go for a medicated pet dog shampoo for dry skin.
Repellant Or Anti-Parasitic
There’re dog shampoos available in the market which contain repellent oils, like lavender oil, which are capable of keeping fleas and ticks at the bay. If your buddy is suffering from dry skin caused due to a parasitic infection, shampoos with anti-parasitic ingredients will not only hydrate your pet’s scalp but also get it rid of parasites.
Never Use Alcohol-Based Pet Shampoos
Given that your dog has dry skin, the use of an alcohol-based shampoo will make your pet’s skin more irritated and result in extreme itchiness. Therefore, using a pet shampoo with no traces of alcohol is always a welcome step. For example, a dry skin shampoo based on shea butter instead of alcohol or synthetic soap can help your pet a lot in getting rid of dry skin.
The list of dog shampoos for dry skin provided above has been crafted to include shampoos for all types of dry skin conditions. However, if you want to buy a dry skin shampoo for your pet, we’d highly recommend our top pick for your consideration.
It’s an all-natural dog shampoo provided with silk fibers ensuring that your pet’s skin stays hydrated and nourished for days. However, you should keep in mind the individual requirements of your pet when buying a pet shampoo for dry skin.