The best puppy playpen is IRIS Exercise Pen Dog Playpen.
As puppies grow, they require more space and freedom to play and explore. This is why the best puppy playpens are so important, as they provide a safe, contained space for puppies to run, jump, and play all day.
Also, because they are so energetic, puppies are prone to chewing on furniture, and they also need a place to relieve themselves while you are out of the house. A great way to prevent this from happening is to buy a playpen for your puppy, as they can be easily set up and moved around to different locations.
We have created a list of the best puppy playpens in the market today, so you can find the right product for you and your furry friend!
#1 IRIS Exercise Pen Dog Playpen
This multifunctional puppy playpen from IRIS is hands-down the most reliable and versatile on our list. We’ve given it the top spot because of how many different configurations it can be used in, how easy it is to actually use, and how effective a product it is.
Your canine companion will have the time of their life in this super simple (but super effective) playpen. It can be set up to act as a security gate or a playpen. It can even fold between hexagonal and rectangular configurations to fit any size apartment or house.
The adorable little doggy-door built into the product is perfect for training your puppy and letting them know when they can enter and leave the pen. It’s the ideal way to teach your new friend some obedience and how to play properly.
This playpen totally deserved the spot at the top of our list, as it truly is the best we’ve seen. The incredible versatility of the product really sealed the deal, as we know how important it is to get value for your money!
- The molded BPA and acid-free plastic material used to craft the IRIS exercise playpen provides durability and ensures that the pen doesn’t suffer rust damage.
- The versatile design of the IRIS 8-panel pen for puppies, which is emphasized by the ability of customers to configure the pen in multiple shapes, makes this product suitable for use either as a safe containment for pooches, training exercises or to create a play area for puppies.
- The non-skid rubber feet used on the IRIS Exercise pen provide stability and ensure that the playpen doesn’t leave scratch marks on wooden floors when it is used indoors.
- The add-on panels that come with this puppy playpen product make it possible for customers to combine multiple panels to create more playing space for their canine buddies.
- The IRIS Exercise playpen is designed with full-length connecting rods that make the product easy for customers to assemble and disassemble.
- Some customers have commented that this pen is too flimsy and can be easily toppled over after it has been assembled.
- Several customers have also reported that their puppies were able to climb out of the IRIS Exercise playpen.
#2 Amazon Basics Foldable Metal Dog Playpen
Speaking of getting value for money, this next entry is our special ‘budget-conscious pick’. We scoured the web for something that could meet any budgetary requirements while still retaining the high quality you need from a pet product.
The Amazon Basics Foldable Metal Dog Playpen went above and beyond, in our opinion – and it really deserved its place on the list. With all the features of a premium puppy pen at a fraction of the price, you definitely won’t be disappointed!
This durable playpen is super-secure and even comes fitted with non-skid rubber feet to protect your floors. Another awesome safety feature is the rust-proof iron material it’s made of (so if you use it outdoors, it won’t rust).
Considering the price point, we think this playpen provides everything your puppy could ever need and more. It’s a surprisingly luxurious pen with plenty of room for your little friend to have fun in, and it definitely won’t break the bank!
- The Amazon Basics metal playpen is available in multiple size options, ranging from extra-small to large, and customers can also arrange the panels in different shapes to configure the pen for various uses.
- The step-through door of this metal playpen provides customers with a way to conveniently access the puppies contained within the pen.
- The Amazon Basics Foldable playpen is easy to set up, and installation can be carried out in a few minutes without needing to use any tools or special equipment.
- The Amazon Basics metal playpen comes with eight anchors that can be driven into the ground to provide the pen with better stability, thus making this product suitable for outdoor use.
- The rust-proof finish on the iron metal used to craft the Amazon Basics playpen provides protection against corrosive damage from outdoor elements, like sun and rain, thus improving this product’s durability.
- The clips meant to secure the panels of the Amazon Basics playpen tend to pop off, even when not being disturbed, thereby resulting in the pen losing shape.
- Some customers claim that their puppies were able to climb out of this Amazon Basics playpen by using the pen’s wire sides as steps.
#3 North States Pet MYPET Petyard Passage
The MYPET Petyard Passage from North States Pet is a wonderfully customizable option for those of you who want to keep your puppy constantly on its toes. It comes with a choice of between 4, 6, or 8 panels – so you can reconfigure it into different shapes and surprise your little pup.
We love how light and easy to use this particular indoor puppy playpen is. It’s easy to assemble and reconfigure and even has a small door fitted for your puppy to jump in and out of. Don’t worry, though, it’s plenty secure and can be locked when needed.
One of the main selling points of the MYPET Convertible Petyard is just how large you can make it with the customizable panels. Having that extra room to add as your puppy grows is such a great idea.
- Customers can make the North States Petyard Passage playpen smaller by removing panels to create a cozy sleeping space for their canine buddies.
- The espresso brown finish of this playpen product fits seamlessly with most existing home décor, thus ensuring that the pen won’t look out of place when used indoors.
- The swing door of the North States Petyard provides a way for customers to conveniently let their puppies out of the pen, with a locking latch providing secure containment when needed.
- The skid-resistant pads that come with the MYPET playpen prevent the pen from sliding around or leaving scratches on smooth floor finishes, thus making the product suitable for indoor use.
- Coupled with panels that fold flat and a carry strap, the lightweight design of this North States playpen makes it convenient for customers to transport the pen when it isn’t being used.
- Some customers have reportedly found it challenging to set up the MYPET playpen due to the stiff hinges of the product.
- The absence of a walkthrough gate makes it difficult for customers to access and clean the insides of this playpen.
#4 Carlson Convertible Super Wide Gate
For ease of use and portability, the Carlson Pet Yard Playpen is one of the best on the market. With a simple one-touch lever that allows you to walk through with minimal effort, this playpen is a joy to use.
This heavy-duty dog playpen is made out of sturdy steel, which is sure to last a long time. It’s simple to fold down and move around the house, and it can even be extended or customized with additional panels. It can even be reconfigured to be used as a gate if needed. This Carlson product is a genuine jack-of-all-trades.
If you’re looking for something that’s strong, secure, and tough for your pup to break out of, then this might just be the playpen for you. It’s intuitive to set up and use and versatile enough to be used throughout your puppy’s entire life.
- Carlson’s Convertible puppy playpen can be collapsed and folded flat, thus making it easy for customers to store away the pen when it isn’t being used to hold puppies.
- The walkthrough door of this metal playpen, which also features a sliding lock, provides a way for customers to control access to the pen and keep their puppies securely locked in.
- The hinged joints of this Carlson product make it possible for customers to configure the pen in different ways to suit a variety of purposes, such as a puppy playpen or a gate for wide openings.
- The sturdy metal material used to manufacture the Carlson playpen is durable and can withstand the destructive efforts of puppies.
- The Carlson playpen stands 26” tall, thus making it difficult for puppies to escape the enclosure by climbing out of the pen.
- There are multiple reports of the Carlson playpen being wobbly and moving easily, even after being tightened.
- The latch of the Carlson puppy playpen tends to get stuck, thus making it difficult for some customers to open the pen’s gate.
#5 ZENY Foldable Metal Dog Fence
With a superbly simple ‘snap-together’ panel system, this heavy-duty ZENY Foldable Metal Dog Fence is perfect for puppy owners who find themselves looking for something easy and effective. It can be put up in seconds and then used as a playpen, a barricade, or a training yard.
Built out of robust metal and designed to be easily folded away in seconds, this sturdy metal wire dog playpen hits so many of the needs that people have when searching for that perfect dog playpen for their pups. Better yet, when you consider the price of it, it’s an absolute steal.
Sturdy, solid, and versatile are the three words we’d use to best describe this gem of a find. The ZENY Metal Pet Fence is ideal for anyone who wants that little extra bit of security when searching for a new playpen.
- The sleek black finish on the iron material used to craft this metal dog fence provides the pen with enhanced protection against rust damage as a result of exposure to moisture.
- The foldable design of ZENY’s metal dog fence makes it possible for customers to simply collapse and stack the panels of the playpen for easy storage and transportation.
- The raised design of this playpen’s door ensures that it doesn’t catch against surfaces whenever it is opened or closed to provide customers with ease of access.
- The ZENY metal fence is designed and constructed in a way that customers can conveniently configure the pen in different shapes, without using tools, to suit various needs.
- The rounded edges of the metal parts used to craft the ZENY playpen ensure that puppies don’t injure themselves while playing within the pen.
- There are several reports of the gate of the ZENY metal fence falling off its frame anytime it is opened.
- The stakes that come with this puppy playpen aren’t long enough to firmly secure the product in the ground when it is used outdoors.
#6 BestPet 8 Panel Puppy Playpen
The BestPet Dog Playpen has been designed from the ground up to be perfect for excitable and curious puppies. Getting them inside this large exercise pen is the perfect way to start training with them and teaching them obedience.
This rust-resistant dog playpen can easily be reconfigured into different shapes to always keep your dog guessing and ensure they’re constantly mentally stimulated. It can also be folded down in a matter of seconds and carried around whenever you want to relocate it.
With so many options on the market, it’s hard to decide which playpen will suit your needs and your pet’s needs. The BestPet foldable pet playpen is ideal for people looking to train their dogs in a sensible and secure environment.
- BestPet’s 8-panel playpen for puppies features a versatile design that makes it suitable for use in various ways, including as a pen, kennel, or crate.
- The epoxy coating used on the BestPet playpen improves the product’s ability to withstand rust and corrosive damage, as well as fading, thus ensuring that the pen can be used for a considerable period.
- Set-up and installation of this playpen is straightforward and can be completed in a few minutes without customers needing to use tools.
- The walkthrough door of the BestPet playpen provides a way for puppies to conveniently enter and exit the pen.
- The foldable and lightweight design of this puppy playpen product makes it possible for customers to pack up and transport the pen from one place to another.
- The BestPet playpen is flimsy and can be easily knocked over by a big puppy.
- Multiple customers have commented that their BestPet playpens arrived without a door.
#7 New World Foldable Metal Exercise Puppy Playpen
Sometimes, your little puppy needs a safe environment to let loose and exercise. This New World Pet Products playpen could potentially be one of the best on the market for these types of needs, as it’s designed specifically for small dogs to exercise in.
It comes with a variety of options, such as being able to choose a specific height level depending on how big your dog is. This is a really welcome choice, as different puppies come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, so you can be 100% sure you’ve chosen the right model.
Coated with a rust-resistant black coat of paint, it is suitable to be used as an outdoor puppy playpen.
We love this foldable playpen because it has options for every size puppy out there. It’s also really surprising that you can extend the size of the pen with a metal dog crate – which should make it even more homely for your puppy!
- The New World metal exercise playpen is easy to set up, with customers simply needing to unfold and connect the panels together, without using tools.
- The black coating on the New World metal playpen helps to protect this product from corrosive and rust damage that is typically caused by exposure to moisture, wind, or sun.
- The New World exercise playpen for puppies can be used with several accessories, such as sunscreen or wire mesh tops, to assist customers in creating the ideal play environment for their canine buddies.
- The ground stakes that come with this puppy playpen package can be used to keep the pen firmly rooted in the ground and prevent unnecessary movement when the product is used outdoors.
- The panels of the New World metal playpen can be folded flat for convenient transportation and storage when the product isn’t in use.
- The absence of a door may make it difficult for some customers to access their puppies contained within this metal playpen.
- The lightweight design of the New World playpen results in puppies being able to move the product around the home simply by pushing against the pen.
#8 X-ZONE PET Playpen
If you’re looking for something completely different from the rest, the X-ZONE PET Playpen might just be for you. Your puppy is sure to stand out from the crowd with this striking mesh playpen.
With a zipped front door and an optional top piece (for extra containment), you can be assured of your pup’s security and safety inside this fun pen. Because of its size, this pen is even more portable than many of the others on the list.
That last point really caught our attention. If you’re looking for something extra versatile, this could be ideal. Side pockets on the mesh wall panels of the playpen give you even more storage space for things like dog treats!
- X-ZONE’s PET playpen product comes with a removable top and zippered front door to provide multiple access points to puppies or keep the pooches securely locked in the pen.
- The portable X-ZONE playpen for puppies comes with eight ventilated mesh panels on all sides to provide optimal airflow and ensure that pooches don’t suffocate when contained in the pen.
- The X-ZONE playpen features mesh side pockets that can be used to hold dog toys, snacks, or any other important accessories.
- This playpen’s mesh is crafted with anti-scratch material that can withstand the destructive effects of a puppy’s nails.
- The X-ZONE puppy playpen can be conveniently set up within a matter of minutes without customers needing to use tools or specialized equipment.
- Several customers have commented that this playpen was extremely difficult for them to fold, thereby making it impossible for them to travel with the product.
- There are also several reports of this pen’s zipper breaking easily, thereby providing a means for puppies to escape confinement.
#9 Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard
You might be able to guess from the name that this product wasn’t initially designed for puppies. It is, however, still a great product that’d be perfect for your dog. It’s also perfect for your wallet as it comes at an amazing price point – especially considering its high-quality build of it.
You can even take this with you on road trips or days out to the park, as it folds down small enough to fit in a handy travel bag. That’s quite impressive when you consider that it gives you a huge 14 square feet area for your puppy to play in when it’s fully set up.
Although it might sound like a strange choice to include this in our list, it’s a totally valid option for anyone out there concerned about their budget. Your puppy will absolutely love this playpen, regardless of if it was designed for them or not.
- The innovative pop and fold design of the Summer Infant Playard ensures that customers can easily set up the pen in a relatively short time and also fold down the pen for storage without stress.
- The airy mesh sides of the Summer Infant playpen ensure proper ventilation and also provide a way for customers to keep an eye on their puppies inside the pen.
- The water-resistant canvas of this playpen product prevents moisture from seeping into the pen, thus keeping the floor dry and comfortable for puppies.
- The Summer Infant Playard is freestanding and can be installed without needing to attach additional stakes or clamps for support and stability.
- Maintenance of this playpen is difficult, as it is impossible for customers to remove and wash the fabric material of the pen to get rid of stains and dirt.
- The floor mat of the Summer Infant Playard has thin cushioning, and this may be uncomfortable for some puppies, especially when the product is used on hardwood floors.
#10 ESK COLLECTION Puppy Playpen
Speaking of prices – you’ll probably be surprised to see just how inexpensive the ESK COLLECTION Puppy Playpen is, considering how versatile it is. With full mesh panel coverage, this pen can be used as an exercise pen, training tool, and kennel – all in one neat package.
Your dog is kept secure within the well-ventilated mesh walls (which also allow you to keep an eye on them while they play). Handy storage compartments make training easier, as you can store their favorite toys and treats inside.
We love how user-friendly this model of the playpen is. Setting it up, folding it down, cleaning it, and storing it are all super easy tasks – made even easier by the awesome design of the pen.
- The water-resistant 600D Oxford cloth material used to craft ESK COLLECTION’s puppy playpen helps to keep the insides of the pen warm and comfortable and also prevent dog accidents from seeping through and staining the floor.
- This canine playpen is straightforward to set up, and installation can be completed within a matter of seconds to a few minutes.
- The space-saving design of this puppy playpen, which is emphasized by the ability of customers to fold the pen flat, ensures that this product can be conveniently stored anywhere when it isn’t being used.
- This puppy playpen product comes with a manufacturer’s warranty package that offers refunds or replacements for customers that aren’t satisfied with the product or for those that receive defective playpens.
- The inclusion of breathable mesh material on the sides of the ESK playpen ensures that puppies constantly have access to fresh air while contained within the pen.
- Several customers have commented that it was relatively easy for their puppies to chew through the mesh and fabric of this playpen, thus destroying the product in the process.
- The zippers of this puppy playpen product are flimsy, and there are several customer reports about these zippers being difficult to zip or unzip and breaking while in use.
#11 Jespet Pet Playpen
Another mesh playpen to finish off our list of recommendations now. This Jespet model is perfect for puppy owners who want to take their little friend out and about but don’t quite trust them to run around responsibly. This tiny playpen will solve all your problems.
Handy storage pockets on the size provide ample room for toys, treats, and other doggy accessories. The total mesh coverage also provides a secure space for your canine companion to enjoy their playtime safely (and with your supervision).
It is made of water-resistant material that would keep the area dry and clean. It is perfect for indoor and outdoor usage.
Something that we really loved about this playpen is the thought and care that has obviously gone into the quality design. It’s made to still be strong and durable, despite being constructed mostly from a mesh material.
- The eight mesh windows included in the Jespet pet playpen provide optimal airflow and ventilation for puppies housed inside the pen.
- The dual-side storage pockets that come with this pet playpen are useful for the storage of puppy treats, leashes, and toys.
- The inclusion of two zippered doors on this puppy playpen provides customers with multiple access points to feed, place or remove their canine buddies from inside the pen.
- The Jespet pet playpen can be quickly and easily set up and disassembled, with the product package also including a carrying bag for the convenient transportation of the pen after it has been folded flat.
- This puppy playpen product is manufactured and available in multiple size options to ensure compatibility and ease of use with various dog sizes.
- This playpen is lightweight and tends to fold up on active puppies that are jumping around and playing hard while contained in the pen.
- Multiple customers have claimed that it was difficult for them to fold the Jespet playpen into a smaller size for storage.
Puppy Playpens Buyer’s Guide
We’ve given you all of our top recommendations and told you why we love them, but the final choice is all yours to make. In this buyer’s guide section, we’re going to go over the different factors which you’ll have to consider when choosing which playpen is right for your dog.
Related: Best Puppy Potty Training Pads
How Will Your Puppy Use It?
What playpen you end up choosing could very well be affected by what kind of usage you expect to get out of it. There are several different ways that you can utilize an indoor puppy playpen, so let’s take a look at them:
Many owners use a playpen as a way to enforce good behavior and train their puppies in obedience. There are many ways to go about this. For example, the pens can be used to help them with their toilet training, or they can be used to get your pup used to the crate (for when you leave for work).
Some dogs require a little extra reminding about boundaries and where they are and aren’t allowed to go in the household. Playpens can act as the perfect barrier to show them what areas of the house they’re allowed in. This can be a great way to help the dog understand the rules.
Purely For Play
Some people just want their dogs to have a good time. Playpens are perfect for allowing your dog a little time to themselves, where they can let loose, chase their tail, and play with all their favorite toys in a safe and secure environment.
It’s entirely down to you what purpose you want your new playpen to serve. If you have different ideas in mind, you may want to go for a pen that is versatile and can serve several different purposes. This is why you’ll see so many models come with extendable panels, additional accessories, and reconfiguration options to suit your needs.
Playpens that have been designed specifically with training in mind will very often come with additional storage pouches and pockets around the outside. These are perfect for storing treats and toys to aid you in the training of your puppy.
Related: New Puppy Checklist (EPIC Guide!)
The Size, Weight & Height Of The Playpen
These are three really important factors that you have to take into consideration when purchasing a new playpen; the size, weight, and height of the pen you want. Let’s take a closer look at the reasons why you need to have already decided on these details before you start looking:
Depending on what breed of dog you have, your puppy could soon grow into quite a large young adult. If you want your dog to have adequate room as it grows, it’s best to get a pen that can grow with him (via extending panels). On the other hand, smaller breeds will always stay small and will love having a pen that’s just the right size for them.
Depending on what material your pen is made out of, the weight could differ vastly. This is important for a few reasons, the first of which is the puppy being able to move the pen around on the floor if it’s too light. Secondly, portability is something you may want to think about. A lighter pen is perfect for taking on day trips and moving around the house.
Much in the same way as size, the height of the playpen should be determined by what breed of dog you have and how quickly they will grow (or how long you want to continue using the playpen). Thankfully, several playpens come with options for different heights, and it’s usually fairly easy to find the right size for your pup. Height can also affect storage and portability.
Deciding the desired size, weight, and height of your playpen before buying is absolutely essential. Make sure you take measurements or do a little research to figure out the specifics of what you need.
If you’re not entirely sure what size your dog will grow to, it may be ideal for you to go with a playpen which can be added to as time goes on. Once your dog outgrows it, you can purchase additional panels to fit into your existing pen and increase the play area within!
Related: Best Puppy Foods
What Material Is It Made Out Of?
Most puppy playpens are made out of one of three materials. It’s really important to consider which material will be best suited for you and your dog before making any kind of purchase.
These are the three most common materials used in their construction:
This is a great option because of how light it is. You’ll be able to watch your pet through it at all times, and it’s extremely well-ventilated. The only downside with mesh is that more destructive puppies will definitely find a way to chew through it.
This is the sturdiest of materials for a playpen and usually the most secure choice. It does come with a few drawbacks, however, such as the weight making it hard to maneuver and very cumbersome. If this is a problem for you, you’re best to go for something a little lighter.
With plastic playpens, you get the best of both worlds. It’s strong, rugged, very durable, and still easy to move around (they’re very lightweight). Plastic also has the added benefit of not rusting (if you decide to take it outside where it could be rained on). One downside of plastic playpens is the fact that naughty puppies can sometimes chew the weaker plastic models – so make sure you go for a quality brand when purchasing!
All options are completely valid if they’ll suit your puppy and you’re comfortable with them. In our opinion, a good strong plastic playpen is probably your best bet. If you can afford a heavy-duty metal pen, however, and don’t mind the extra weight when carrying it, this might be a good option for you, too.
Something else to think about is the optional top panel which comes with many modern playpens. These are usually made from metal wire, soft-top canvas, or mesh material. These can be great for stopping excited puppies from trying to escape from the top.
Safety Features Of The Playpen
As your puppy may be spending a fair amount of time inside the playpen, it’s important that it’s secure and safe for them. We don’t want any accidents happening or any damage to be caused to your home.
Here are a few safety features that you need to consider and check for before buying:
There are several different types of locking mechanisms that playpens use. Such examples can include zippers, latches, touch-release, etc. It’s entirely up to you what option you go for, just make sure something is in place that’ll stop your puppy from running straight out.
The best indoor playpens come with rubber feet (or similar material) which help to reduce movement along the floor and stop the feet of the pen from scraping the surface of your floor. These aren’t essential, but if you think your pup may become excitable and move the pen around a lot, it’s worth checking if the model you like the look of has them.
It’s very rare to see nowadays, but always check on pictures and read up on the playpens you like to check there are no exposed screws or bolts. These could potentially injure your puppy if they rub up against them or try to bite and chew them. It’s also possible your puppy could get their collar or harness caught on these types of items, so make sure to remove them before allowing your dog inside a pen – just in case.
There are plenty of other elements you need to consider before making your purchase, but we’ve covered the vast majority of them. If you remember to keep everything we’ve taught you in mind, you should have no problem picking the best indoor puppy playpen.
That brings us to the end of our guide. All that’s left now is to see what our final conclusion is.
We’ve finally reached the end of our in-depth guide to all of the best indoor puppy playpens on the market. Hopefully, the advice we’ve given – and the amazing recommendations we’ve made – will help set you on the right course in your hunt for the perfect pen for your pup.
The overall choice is still our top pick. With a solid build, multiple handy configurations, and sturdy construction, we think this is the ideal playpen for any puppy!