The best puppy potty training pad is All-Absorb Puppy Training Pads.
Puppies can’t really control their bladder till they are 16 weeks old. As a result, they do need to pee frequently.
In fact, according to AKC, puppies can only hold their bladder for the same number of hours as their age in months. This means that your one-month-old puppy will need to pee every hour!
Using a puppy training pad, you can train your puppies to relieve themselves on the pad – this will avoid getting your carpet or floor soiled.
That’s why we have come up with a comprehensive list of the best puppy training pads.
These training pads typically come in two options – reusable and disposable pads. Disposable pads offer the most convenience for the busy pet parent, while reusable pads are more cost-efficient, provided that you’re willing to wash them regularly.
#1 All-Absorb Puppy Training Pads
- Quick drying surface prevents tracking
- The super-absorbent core can turn urine into gel instantly and hold up to 3 cups of liquid
- Built-in attractant and odor neutralizer
Every puppy owner gets concerned about their pup’s ability to potty train and the amount of time it’ll take. That’s why you need a super absorbent training pad that will soak up all the soiling to keep your floor clean and the pressure off both you and your puppy.
The All-Absorb Training Pad meets these requirements with built-in attractants and a waterproof 5-layer disposable pad that’s made from durable polyethylene.
This eliminates the risk of getting spills or accidents on your mat, and you can rest assured that this mat is very effective at absorbing all the moisture. The ultra-absorbent core quickly transforms the liquid pee into a soft gel.
The mid-core also comes with convenient fluff pulp, which speeds up the liquid conversion process. The top layer of this mat is coated in non-woven cloth, while the other layer is composed of baking soda, which works to neutralize odors.
That way, you can leave your pup indoors the whole day without worrying that you’ll come back from work to find your house smelling like the dog pound. The best part is that All-Absorb’s puppy pee pad can hold three cups of urine, and this is enough to last for at least a few days.
With five layers of super-absorbent pads, this training puppy pad can take a lot of pee, and it’s easy to maintain and clean afterward.
- Measuring 22 x 23 inches, this is a regular-sized training pad, and they come in a 100-count pack, making it suitable for most doggie breeds.
- It has a quick-drying top surface that quickly dries up after use, which means that it prevents tracking or staining.
- It has a leak-proof plastic lining that keeps the surface where the pads are placed dry.
- Has five layers of protection, which include a superabsorbent core that can hold up to 3 cups of liquid by turning it into a gel.
- It has a built-in odor neutralizer and attractant, which makes it perfect for pup training or aging doggies.
- The pad absorbs only small amounts of liquid at a time, and this means that larger amounts will spill over the pad and take time to dry up.
- The odor neutralizer is not effective in some cases, which can be a nuisance to pup owners.
#2 Four Paws Pet Select Pee-Pee Puppy Pads
- Pee-Pee training and puppy pads provide worry-free training and an alternative to outdoor relief for your dog with...
- Uses 5-ply leak-proof Floor Armor system with 100% leak-proof guarantee; heavy-duty leak-proof liner protects floor and...
- Built-in attractant draws dog to pad; super-absorbent quilted core provides maximum absorption, and quick-drying top...
Four Paws Pee-Pee Puppy Pads are designed to simplify the potty training process. How is this possible? First, they come with a leak-proof liner that’ll keep your floor surface clean no matter what, while the quilted core pad is one of the most absorbent materials out there.
It’s also easy to use because all you need to do is put your puppy on top of the pad and give them a treat for sitting on it. This’ll allow them to associate going on the pad with being rewarded.
Eventually, they’ll get used to going on the pad, and this will make it much easier for them to move the process outside. The Four Paws Pee-Pee Puppy Pads take out the guesswork from potty training.
It comes in two sizes, namely, Extra Large (28″ x 34″) and Standard (22″ x 22″).
With its quilted upper layer, this pee pad is fairly comfortable for your puppy, and it automatically draws liquid straight to the absorbent core. Plus, it features conventional leak-proof lines that allow it to last for up to 24 hours without getting your floor wet.
- These come in a standard pack of 100 pads, each measuring 22 x 22 inches, which makes it ideal for all pup and doggie sizes.
- Absorption is guaranteed thanks to the super-absorbent quilted core that holds as much liquid as possible, thus preventing leakage.
- Comes in a 5-ply leak-proof design that not only keeps your pup dry but also the floor free of leaks.
- Comes with a leak-proof plastic liner at the bottom, which keeps your floors and furniture clean and free of liquid.
- The quick-drying top layer prevents tracking and is suitable for aging dogs as well as training pups.
- The pad surface is not scratch-proof, which means your pups can easily destroy it.
- The odor neutralizer does not work in most cases.
#3 American Kennel Club Ultra-Absorbent Odor Control Scented Training Pads
- American Kennel Club dog pads are suitable for all puppies and senior pets. Designed to fit most dog kennels and crates,...
- Odor control - choose from Fresh, Citrus, Eucalyptus or Lavender scents. Available sizes: Large 22 inch x 22 inch or XL...
- 6 Layer Composition with Quick drying gel to provide immediate absorption. Additional non-skid plastic backing layer to...
These scented training pads from American Kennel Club are a decent option for anyone that’s looking for effective, high-quality puppy pee pads. It comes in two sizes, Standard and Extra-Large, and fits most dog crates and kennels.
Each disposable AKC pee pad comes with eight layers to prevent stain marks and leaks, and they’re absorbent enough to provide up to 24 hours of leak-proof protection.
There’s also a built-in attractant (Lemon, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Fresh-Scented) in these training pads, which makes them more favorable to puppies. This is the addition of the odor control tech and comfortable construction that’ll give you peace of mind no matter where you place the mat.
This offers great value, as each box comes with 150 disposable training pads.
Keep your floors clean and pee-pee free with the high-quality American Kennel Club puppy pads. It’ll keep your house odor-free and clean as you go through this typically tough potty training stage.
- These pads come in a 150-count pack, with each measuring 22 x 22 inches to suit most doggie sizes, and they are also available in various scents, such as Fresh, Lavender, Lemon, or Eucalyptus.
- This is an ultra-absorbent pad that can offer pups of up to 50 lbs with 24-hour protection, so it makes it an affordable option for your doggies.
- It is a 6-ply pad, which offers extra liquid absorption and prevents leakages.
- Comes with a quick-drying gel core, which will turn any liquid into a gel, thereby keeping surfaces clean and free of tracking.
- It has an odor neutralizer and in-built attractant, which helps with pup training.
- Most pup owners complained that the pads are not leak-proof and leak right through and causing a mess.
- The advertised scents are not effective in controlling odors.
#4 Amazon Basics Pet Training & Puppy Pee Pads
- Dog and puppy pee pads for indoor, outdoor, or car use; ideal for puppy training, assisting senior dogs, or travel
- Includes 100 Regular size, standard absorbency pee pads for puppies and dogs
- 5-layer construction with absorbent core that turns liquid into gel on contact
The Amazon Basics Pet Training and Puppy Pads are a firm favorite among dog owners, and it’s not hard to see why. Not only do they feature natural attractants to ease the process, but they also come with several layers of optimized performance.
The first layer is a 1.5-inch plastic barrier with leak-proof action, an anti-streaming layer for odor and wetness protection, as well a surge layer that can convert the liquid pee into a gel.
Then there’s the locking layer which helps to prevent leaks as well, while the polyethylene backing finishes the job. With these potty training pads, you can rest assured that there won’t be any tracking, leaking, or wetness on your floors as you housetrain your dog.
These puppy training pads from Amazon Basics can serve several functions. They’re great for potty training, of course, but they can also be used to assist sick, aging dogs or to keep your pup from peeing all over your car during road trips.
- You can get these pads in packs of 30, 40, 50, 60, 100, and 150 counts, depending on your pup’s needs, and such pads measure 22 x 22 inches individually, suiting most doggie sizes.
- Has a quick-dry top surface with an in-built attractant and a plastic lining at the bottom to prevent tracking and leakages.
- Comes with five layers, which include a super-absorbent polymer core and locking layer that converts liquid into a gel upon contact.
- The anti-streaming pad is quilted, which means it will not fall apart after getting wet.
- You can use these pads during travel, for pup training, and for recovering or aging doggies.
- Does not hold fecal matter or large amounts of liquids.
- Larger doggies soak the pad right through, and the gel core does not function as fast as it should.
#5 Hartz Home Protection Gel Dog Training Pads
- WON’T LEAK: Each pee pad is created with a unique FlashDry Technology, which instantly turns liquid into GEL to lock...
- SUPERIOR ABSORPTION: The 6-layer construction creates a small urine spot, allowing your dog or multiple dogs to find...
- LEAK PROOF PROTECTION TO KEEP YOUR HOME CLEAN: Each pad features a plastic backing and border to protect all floor types...
Thanks to its super absorbent core that converts the liquid pee into a gel, the Home Protection Dog Training Pads use FlashDry gel technology to keep your house clean as you transition your puppy.
It comes with a lavender layer for even stronger odor protection, and there are six layers of leak-proof and non-tracking design. This makes it easier to train your little pooch while keeping your floors clean, and it’s a win-win for everybody.
The most notable feature of these 6-layer Hartz dog training pads is the FlashDry technology which can transform liquid urine into gel effortlessly. This helps to prevent runoffs, leaks, tracking, and odors.
- These pads come in a 50-count pack and are available in Regular, XL, and 3XL sizes to suit most doggie sizes, and it also comes in Fragrance-Free, Mountain Fresh, or Lavender scents.
- Has Flashdry Technology, which turns liquid into instant gel and also locks in odor, and this keeps your surfaces dry.
- Comes with a plastic backing and border, which helps to hold liquid and prevents it from leaking on your floors or furniture.
- Has a top sheet and an ultra-absorbent top layer that prevents tracking and helps to lock in liquids into the pad.
- Helps with potty training and is perfect for travel, sick and aging doggies.
- The pad does not always lay flat on the ground, and this causes leakage after use.
- You sometimes have to use multiple pads on top of one another or change it frequently as it does not hold large amounts of liquid.
#6 Four Paws Wee-Wee Puppy Pee Pads For Dogs
- WITH THE POWER OF FEBREZE FRESHNESS - Neutralizes strong ammonia odors to keep homes smelling fresh and clean
- 24-HOUR PROTECTION GUARANTEED - Use these dog training pads for all-day performance or your money back
- 7-LAYER LEAK-PROOF TECHNOLOGY - Exclusive Floor Armor Leak-Proof System draws fluid to the core and locks in moisture
With seven layers of pad protection, the Four Paws Wee-Wee Pee Pads feature a quilted exterior for comfort and quick drying. It’s very effective at reducing tracking, and it’s the glue that holds the different layers together.
Between the middle polymer core, there’s a dual reinforced layer that works to neutralize odors while locking in the liquid to prevent any spills. Included in its Floor Armor System are four layers that’ll keep all the dirt from getting on your floors.
It’s interesting to note that there are plastic channels here that are designed to completely prevent spills and leaks from getting on your mat or tiles. Plus, it features odor-neutralizing and moisture-locking technology, which is over and above the dog attractant, which simplifies the training process.
Research shows that these Wee-Wee puppy training pads work twice as fast at removing puppy urine odors. Plus, you’ll be able to enjoy 24 hours of leak-proof and non-tracking defense thanks to the large quilted pockets and seven layers of protection.
- These pads measure 22 x 23 inches and work for all pup sizes and come in a 50-count pack.
- Odor is well taken care of thanks to the Febreze spring fresh scent.
- Comes with 7-layer technology, which helps to prevent any liquid leakage after use.
- It has a built-in attractant that attracts doggies to the pad for use.
- It has a fast absorption top layer and a Wet-Lock gel to quickly absorb liquid.
- The pads are thin, which can sometimes cause liquid to seep right through, causing a mess.
- The surface is not scratch-proof, which means your pup can destroy it easily.
#7 ASPCA Ultra Absorbent Training Pads
- 6 layer composition; quick drying gel to provide immediate absorption to preventing tracking and leaking
- Fresh scent & odor eliminating. Choose from Fresh, Citrus or Mountain Scents
- Perfect for training or assisting aging dogs
The ASPA is an organization that’s constantly working with animals, so it only makes sense that they’d be able to create the perfect puppy training pads. These Fresh Scented pee pads come with anti-bacterial technology and a built-in attractant.
They also feature six super-absorbent layers that convert the liquid pee into a quick-drying gel. And they’re leak-proof, easy to clean, and suitable for use indoors.
These puppy training pads are super absorbent when compared to other training pads out there, and it’s designed for pups and elderly dogs as well.
- These pads come in a 100-count pack, and each pad measures 22 x 22 inches to suit most doggie sizes and are available in Citrus, Mountain, or Fresh Scent.
- Comes in six layers, which offer extra protection and absorption.
- It comes with an in-built attractant that drives doggies to use it when needed as well as odor control.
- Has a quick-drying gel core that is super absorbent and turns liquid into a gel.
- This product helps dogs under the ASPCA, as 4% of each purchase is donated to the organization.
- The blue plastic bottom does not stop excessive fluid from leaking through.
- The scent or odor control is not as effective in some situations.
#8 Pet Parents Pawtect Reusable Washable Puppy Pee Pads
- BEST IN CLASS ABSORPTION & ODOR CONTROL – 2 pack (1 grey & 1 tan) of 18x24" premium puppy pads. Pet Parents Pawtect...
- SO MANY USES. ONE CONVENIENT PAD - Pet Parents Pawtect pads premium washable dog pee pads are perfect for housebreaking...
- ONE-TWO PUNCH VALUE - Not only are our dog training pad far more economical and going to save you $1,000’s compared to...
The Pet Parents Pawtect Reusable Puppy Pee Pads is the perfect choice if you would prefer washing the pee pads after every use.
With its WickQuick proprietary fabric blend, this reusable pad quickly wicks, absorbs & holds more liquids per square as compared to any other reusable option out there.
It comes in packs of twos and has seven different sizes to accommodate puppies of different sizes. With over 7,000 happy customers on Amazon, you can’t go wrong with this washable pee pad!
These washable puppy training pads are super absorbent when compared to other training pads out there, and it’s designed for pups and elderly dogs as well.
- These pads come in a 2-count pack and measure 41 x 41 inches, which works with all doggie sizes.
- They are washable and can either be hand or machine-washed, and this controls the amount of pad waste that you throw out.
- The top layer is made of WickQuick, a proprietary fabric blend that helps to hold and absorb liquids.
- The pads are waterproof and also have a StickyPaw anti-slip grip backing that grips to floors.
- They come in neutral colors that fit into any home design and are perfect for pup training and aging or sick doggies.
- Some pup owners noted that the material rips away from the vinyl backing after a machine wash.
- It does not absorb large amounts of liquid, and this can cause a mess on your floors or furniture.
Puppy Training Pads Buyer’s Guide
When you get yourself a new puppy, there are many things that you have to take note of. You can start by reading this new puppy checklist, which provides a list of items that you have to purchase. Puppy food is also another important item that you need to stock up on.
Buying puppy training pads might have been easier when there were only a few brands available on the market, but with so many options to choose from, it’s much more confusing and complex. Most of the available products have similar features and often make fantastic claims.
The good news is that you can narrow down your choices by going through the following checklist of features whenever you’re shopping for puppy training pads.
To help you find the best potty training pads for puppies, we did our research (such as here, here, here & here) to check out what’s available on the market. The following list shows results from that research, and we took many factors into consideration, including each training pad’s absorbency level, size, eco-friendliness levels, and reviews.
Surface That Dries Quickly
You want quick-drying puppy training pads that are super absorbent. This will make it significantly easier to eliminate odors during the potty training process. A quick-drying surface will make for a more effortless process that doesn’t require as much oversight from you as a dog parent.
Be sure to check the puppy training pads for any signs of puppy worms. If there are worms in your puppy’s stool, do consult your veterinarian immediately.
Leak-Proof Bottom Panel
The bottom part of the training pad should be made of waterproof materials that make it leak-proof. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to have perimeter channels as well to concentrate moisture in the core of the pad instead of leaking it all about.
Most absorbent materials like potty paper dissolve into pieces as soon as they’re soaked with liquid. That’s why you should purchase a tear-resistant pee pad to avoid this unfortunate eventuality. To achieve this, the training pad needs to have tear-resistant and highly absorbent materials.
Likewise, getting your puppy a durable chew toy is a great method to prevent your belongings from getting gnawed.
When combined with bacteria, the nitrogen in urine can lead to a horrible smell that’ll affect the overall ambiance of your home. That’s why it’s a good idea to purchase a potty trainer with baking soda or some other natural deodorizer that’ll neutralize that foul urine smell. Essential oils are another reliable option that’ll help to promote a nice and pleasant smell.
If your puppy accidentally pees on your couch or carpet, using a pet odor eliminator is an effective method to remove the smells.
If you’ve ever had to change a human baby diaper, then you know all about the wetness indicator technology. This is designed to alert you whenever the baby’s diaper gets wet and over-full. Dog training pads now feature the same technology to let you know whenever you need to change the pad.
Just because you’ve bought a couple of training pads doesn’t mean that your dog will immediately gravitate toward them. The truth is that it’ll take your pup a while to get used to the training pads, and you have to be proactive in teaching your dog how to use them. It helps to get training pads with built-in natural attractants that’ll entice your dog to go on the puppy training pads naturally.
Most pee pads can handle between 3 to 5 cups of urine and will usually indicate the amount in the description. But, this is not always the case because some brands are not willing to include that information.
Why You Should Buy A Potty Training Pad?
Pee pads can come in handy for several different scenarios. You can use them for training your puppy while it’s still small without worrying about it getting “accidents” in the house. Pee pads are a great way to give your dog one ideal spot for them to pee so they don’t get confused. The last thing you need is for your pup to have peeing anxiety, and you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your floor is protected at all times.
Pee pads are lifesavers for sick or elderly pets because they’re usually too weak to go outside, and these training pads provide them with an easier alternative. Training pads are also useful when you need to leave your dog at home for long periods. It’s probably the only reliable way to guarantee that you won’t come back to a pee-smelling house.
Research shows that these training pads make the whole potty training experience less traumatic for your dog and can help to prevent anxiety and behavioral issues. You should also purchase one for those stormy, rainy nights that could make it uncomfortable for your dog to go outside.
As you can see, there’s a handy list of scenarios and situations in which you can use puppy training pads. Since most of them are quick to dry, you can also use them as doormats to prevent your dog from tracking mud and water from outside, or you could place them on your car seat when traveling to your dogs to avoid accidents. When your puppy grows up, swap out the puppy training pads for an SUV cargo liner instead.
Plus, they’re useful as liners for your canine carrier.
There’s no way to avoid the potty training stage when you initially get a puppy. The best way to prevent leaks, accidents, and dirt from getting tracked into your house is to use potty training pads. Most models are comfortable and interesting enough to attract your pooch’s attention and come with features such as odor-eliminating, leak-proof, and super-absorbent technology.
If we were to choose only one option from the potty training pads featured in our review list, it would have to be the All-Absorb Training Pads. That’s because these pee pads feature a waterproof PE layer and an ultra-absorbent core that completely absorbs the liquid and transforms it into a gel. Plus, they’re non-tracing, quick-drying, leak-proof, and super absorbent. But what we like about its design is the built-in odor neutralizer and the fact that it’s super easy to maintain.