The best dog lift harness is Labra Vet Approved Dog Lift Harness.
Do you have a dog who needs help getting up or down the stairs? Do you have a senior dog with arthritis or hip dysplasia that just can’t climb those stairs anymore? If so, a dog lift harness is a perfect solution for your pup!
The harness takes the bulk of the pressure off your pet’s limbs, allowing them to move pain-free. All that you have to do is grab the handles and give them the support they need.
A lot of us have had occasions where we need to lift our dog in or out of something like a car, bed, or bathtub. In order to do this without hurting your back, you can use a dog lift harness instead of lifting them by their collar and risking injury. These come in all shapes and sizes so they’re perfect for any size pup.
We’ve compiled a list of the best dog lift harnesses and researched them to find out which ones are most suitable for your pup.
#1 Labra Vet Approved Dog Lift Harness
- Lift Your Dog Up - Whether it's the car or the couch, sometimes our dogs need extra help to reach the places they want...
- Care for Yourself, Too - Bending over to lift your dog up can be messy, and it can cause your back to ache too; Our...
- Strong and Durable - Made from heavy duty, weight resistant materials and designed with a soft fleece lining, our sling...
Our #1 pick is the Labra Vet Approved Dog Lift Harness. And we are sure that thousands of satisfied dog parents would vouch for it.
This is an amazing mobility harness with an easy-to-use design. It features a sling that goes under the dog’s belly/midsection and wraps around their torso. It is then secured using overlapping Velcro straps. Fits like an old sock.
The length of the handle’s straps can be adjusted to suit your height so that you can give support to your pet pooch without bending too much.
You just tug the handle gently and the dog will be able to use the limb that’s least affected, to move about.
There are no rough edges on the sling. In fact, the inner side is lined with soft fleece that will keep your aging companion comfortable.
The harness is available in four sizes. Ensure that you pick the right one for your dog.
We would also like to mention, that Labra backs up their vet-recommended dog lift support harness with amazing customer service. They are compassionate about pets and go the extra mile to ensure that you and your dog are happy with their dog lift harnesses.
Irrespective of whether your dog is aged, injured, or recovering after surgery, the Labra mobility harness will give them the support they seek. Can’t recommend this enough!
- There are four sizes of harnesses to choose from, with the notable extra-large option that is 33.5 inches by 9.5 inches in size and can carry large doggie breeds between 70 and 100 lbs.
- It comes with adjustable length straps that can comfortably handle and support your recovering or aging furry friend.
- The strap’s inner lining is made of fleece which makes it soft and comfortable against your pup’s torso area.
- Using the harness is straightforward, as all you have to do is wrap the sling around your pup’s tummy area, rely on the hook and loop closures to secure the sling, and grab the handles to give your doggie the lift it needs to move around with ease.
- The straps and sling are made of heavy-duty well-stitched fabric, which makes the harness more durable and safe to use.
- Some pup owners noticed that the sling slides downwards towards the private parts, which obstructs the dog’s peeing process.
- There is no padding or boning in the harness, which makes it bend around the doggie’s hip and abdomen area, and this can sometimes result in making your pup uncomfortable as they use it.
#2 Love Pets Love Dog Lift Harness
- No MORE need to struggle with trying to lift your dog, help is here! Insert Card & Directions Included.
- Recommended for canines with girth measuring between 28 - 33 inches. Recommended for dogs who weight more than 75...
- Specifically designed for Larger breed dogs. Lift and Support pad surface is about 10 inches wide. Straps have a soft...
The Love Pets Love Dog Lift Harness is a pocket-friendly pick for homeowners who aren’t looking to spend too much on a dog lift support harness.
The affordable price tag doesn’t take anything away from the quality though.
This is a sturdy rehabilitation harness that does a great job at supporting your dog’s weight and alleviating the pain that they suffer from while moving.
It has a very similar design to the Labra harness.
There’s a 37.5” long (including the handles) X 9.5” wide support pad that goes on the dog’s underside and is secured with a soft Velcro.
The support pad is made of a poly, nylon blend and comes with a soft inner fleece lining.
It’s easy to put on and remove and is completely waterproof.
The only possible quibble that we have with it, is that it’s available in two sizes only. Ensure that you measure your furry friend and pick the right one. Also, the handles are not length adjustable on this one.
The Love Pets Love dog lift harness is a testimony to the fact that quality canine products need not cost an arm and a leg. It is affordable and reliable at the same time.
- This is a harness for pups weighing up to 75 lbs with a torso diameter of between 28 and 33 inches, and the torso padding is 37.5 x 9.5 inches in size, and it also comes in black and blue options.
- This harness can be used either on the chest, back legs, or near the hips thanks to its wide 10-inch surface, meaning you can support a part of your pup’s body that makes the most sense to their needs.
- The sling is made of a durable poly exterior and nylon with fleece lining, which makes it easy to maintain while also being soft and comfortable around your doggie’s body.
- The harness has strong handles you can use to lift your furry friend and also has strong yet soft Velcro for proper fastening.
- It is perfect for pups recovering from surgery, arthritis, or other medical conditions which affect their movement.
- The handles are long, posing a disadvantage for shorter pup owners, which means the harness will not function correctly.
- The sling usually bunches up around the hip area and can sometimes cause discomfort, skin rubbing and can even become too tight for your pup.
#3 GingerLead Dog Support Lift Harness
- FEATURES – No Bunching - Padded for Comfort - Integrated Leash - Cutout for Male Dogs - Adjustable for Height - Easy...
- MACHINE WASHABLE AND DRYABLE – The superior quality and durability of the GingerLead is preserved after machine...
- USED IN VETERINARY HOSPITALS - GingerLeads are used by veterinarians throughout the United States. Recommended for...
The GingerLead Dog Support Harness features a corduroy-lined support pad that keeps your dogs comfortable when they walk.
No chaffing or bruises on the skin.
At the same time, the thick corduroy layer prevents the pad from bunching up, even when your pet is climbing up the stairs or walking downwards on a slope.
The outer layer is made of canvas-like nylon. It’s machine washable and dryable and surprisingly low on maintenance.
We particularly liked the stay-put straps and Velcro that don’t budge even if an excited dog pulls on it.
By the way, the handle and straps can be adjusted from 38” to 60” according to your liking.
Made in the USA and available in seven, male and female-specific sizes.
If thin nylon harnesses are bunching up or causing problems for your pet, then this thickly padded support harness from GingerLead should be ideal for you. It is vet recommended and made in the USA.
- This unisex lift harness caters to female doggies weighing above 45 lbs and males weighing above 60 lbs with an adjustable sling of 38 to 60 inches in length, but there are also seven sizes to choose from in male, female and unisex fittings.
- Comes in a patented unisex design as it has an appropriate cutout to cater to male doggies’ anatomies.
- The harness is made of durable nylon material and comes in a padded design to offer comfort for your pup, and it is also safe for handwashing as it maintains its shape.
- The harness has a soft corduroy inner lining that feels comfortable against your doggie’s skin and avoids skin irritation.
- It comes with stay-on straps, which help you give your furry friend a much-needed lift after surgeries, and it has an integrated leash that gives you the option to attach a chest harness if you have one.
- The handle straps are too long for shorter pup owners, and this results in putting in extra effort to give their doggies that needed lift.
- The harness design is disadvantageous for male doggies as it bunches up around their private area, which means they end up peeing on themselves when they have it on.
#4 Max & Neo Dog Lift Support
- YOUR PURCHASE HELPS A DOG RESCUE: For every harness sold, we donate an identical harness to a dog rescue. Dog rescues...
- DOG RESCUES: Each month we donate to different rescues throughout the USA. At the end of every month, we tally up the...
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Our rear support harness is made of heavy-duty nylon with two padded neoprene comfort handles and...
Injury, arthritis, hip dysplasia, irrespective of the condition, the harness takes the weight off your dog’s hindquarters and allows them to walk on their front legs.
A part of the bodyweight is comfortably borne by you of course.
The harness is wide and is thickly padded to ensure that there are no scrapes or bruises on your dog’s soft belly. Doesn’t bunch up or slip either.
The handles are made of neoprene and are comfortable to hold. But they are not adjustable, which is kind of a letdown.
Max & Neo donate one dog harness to dog rescues for every purchase they get. So, it’s a great chance for you to do your bit for homeless, abandoned pets. Moreover, this is a phenomenal dog lift support harness. Comfortable for both dog and owner. Perfect for long-term use too.
- For each harness purchased, the company will donate a similar harness to a dog rescue center which makes your purchase for a great cause and a monthly contribution equivalent to the company’s leashes and collars also donated to dog rescues.
- It is available in four sizes to support all dogs weighing between 20 and 90 lbs and can hold girth sizes of up to 46 inches and this means it supports most doggie breeds.
- This is a rear support harness, whose exterior is made of heavy-duty nylon and two Neoprene padded handles with overlapping Velcro closure folds to offer comfort and additional support.
- The harness is stitched all around with reflective or night safety thread so you can move with your pup under low-light conditions, and the handles have been effectively stitched with box stitches for a stronger build.
- The sling and the handles are effectively padded such that your pup is comfortable around the torso area while giving you a comfortable grip while using the harness.
- While it works effectively for female dogs, the harness bunches up around the groin area for males, which makes it harder for them to pee.
- The harness sometimes may slide along the body, which means it will not properly support your furry friend as needed.
#5 Coodeo Dog Lift Harness
- 1. PROFESSIONAL- Our product is engaged in rejuvenating old or disable dogs by supporting and stabilizing dogs losing...
- 2. HIGH QUALITY-Breathable and soft material makes your dog comfortable and can be worn for a long period of time.The...
- 3. USER-FRIENDLY - Our product is user-friendly in design and takes good care of male dogs' private part without...
This is a vest-styled dog lift harness from Coodeo that goes around your dog’s entire torso as opposed to just the belly.
The all-enclosed design gives the dogs more support and is less likely to dig into their skin when you lift them.
It is made of waterproof nylon on the outside and is soft to the touch on the inside. Not fleece-lined mind you.
But the material is breathable and can easily replace your dog’s harness for all-day use.
We love the thoughtful design that allows the dog to urinate and poop without having to remove the vest.
The removable handle straps can be attached to the appropriate buckles on the vest depending on your dog’s disability.
Attach it to the set of two buckles on the front if your dog’s front legs are injured. Attach it to the two on the rear if your dog’s hindquarters are injured.
This completely changes the weight distribution and it’s like customizing the vest according to your pet’s disability.
If you dislike the narrow sling-styled dog support harnesses for some reason, then this vest-styled mobility harness should interest you. It keeps your dog comfortable and the customization takes the guesswork out of it.
- The unique design of this harness lets you support your pup around the neck, front legs, and hind legs, as it can be worn as a vest and covers most of its body.
- This harness is available in six sizes and comes in blue and black colors that you can choose from, and it fits pups between 20 and 111 lbs, which caters to most pup breeds.
- It is made of a polyester blend exterior and a breathable nylon material underneath, and this lets your doggie wear this harness even during warm weather.
- It comes with a detachable and adjustable belt handle such that it suits pup owners of various heights and also has a Velcro fastener to keep the handle secure.
- It is easy to put on and take off thanks to its buckle fasteners, and it is also easy to hand wash using cold water.
- The plastic buckles can break if the doggie is heavy, and this can cause additional injury.
- The vest padding is not thick enough for some doggies.
#6 Dog Lift Harness Sling ACL Brace
- DOG SLING - At Fur E. Frenz (A TheraCool Brand), We help your family friend walk, climb, and live a normal life again...
- DOG LIFT HARNESS SIZING: EXTRA LARGE SIZE (BLACK) is Specially Designed For Extra Large Breeds With Girth Measuring...
- ADJUSTABLE LENGTH STRAPS - Unlike our competitors, the Fur E Frenz sling has adjustable length straps and an Anti Slip...
This Dog Lift Harness from ‘TheraCool’ is designed for larger dogs.
It is available in large and X-large sizes and the support strap is 9.5” wide, distributing the weight evenly across the dog’s body.
Perfect for stair climbs, carhops, and everything else that your dog likes.
Made of thick, quilted, oxford nylon, it gives your dogs the comfort they deserve while being lifted onto the back of a car or up the stairs.
The design is a non-slip one and once secured using the overlapping nylon straps, it doesn’t move an inch.
The straps are length adjustable and if the harness gets soiled or dirty, you can machine wash it and air dry.
The TheraCool Dog Lift Harness makes it possible for you to help your large, aging, or disabled canine move about freely. The weight distribution is perfect and even elderly dogs parents are able to lift their 80 lbs. dogs with ease. You can’t really ask for more.
- This brace is perfect for extra-large dog breeds with girth sizes between 28 and 33 inches, and it is available in black color.
- It comes with adjustable straps made of quilted Oxford material, giving the harness its durability and strength to lift a large dog.
- Made of anti-slip polyester material with a strong grip which means the brace sits well in place when in use and is also machine washable and easy to maintain.
- It comes with padding in the brace so it can comfortably rest against your furry friend’s torso area.
- Perfect for elderly doggies, especially those recovering from surgeries or suffering from debilitating ailments, and these pups can still be on the move thanks to the brace.
- The harness can be uncomfortable for male pups as it occasionally slides down to their groin area, causing some pain or discomfort when you try to lift them with this brace.
- The brace usually bunches up, so it does not serve its intended purpose of comfortably lifting your dog.
#7 PetSafe CareLift Support Harness
- FULL BODY SUPPORT: Give your dog the full-body support he needs whether he’s getting older, recovering from surgery or...
- SAFELY ASSIST YOUR PET: Support handles allow you to lift your dog easily; attach the shoulder strap on the medium and...
- ADJUSTABLE SIZING: The harness easily adjusts so you can get the best fit for your dog’s needs; make sure to check the...
The PetSafe PetSafe CareLift Support Harness has a unique design. It is a two-part harness with one part supporting the pet’s hips and the other part supporting their shoulders.
Both parts have a thickly padded band that goes around the body and there are leg loops that help secure it further.
Rubberized handles are provided with the harness to allow pet owners to support their dogs. But you can always use a lifting leash if you so choose. Or the shoulder strap that’s included in the package.
What we liked about the PetSafe Solvit is that you can choose the area of your dog’s body that needs support.
If your dog has hip dysplasia or is immobile from the rear side, then you can support their hips allowing them to move using their front limbs, or vice-a-versa.
You can also support both if need be.
Comes in three sizes.
The PetSafe CareLift Support Harness might be the best dog lift harness for supporting senior dogs. Not only does it provide even support on both hips and shoulders, but it also includes a shoulder pad for comfortable lifting.
- This is a full-body harness that is available in three sizes and can be worn in two styles as it can support the front or rear part of your pup independently or used for full-body support.
- The harness is made of nylon and rubber, and it is well-padded to ensure that the torso area is comfortable.
- You can easily lift your doggie thanks to the padded lifting handles, as well as a lifting leash for additional support.
- The sling parts of the harness are made of breathable, comfortable mesh liner, which can also be used during warm days.
- Its unique design features a special panel built for housing the private parts of male doggies, and this panel can be removed for female pups.
- The front part of the harness is not adjustable, which means it will not cater to all types of doggie neck sizes.
- Some pup owners feel that the harness is too bulky to be worn for prolonged periods, and at the same time, it is too complicated to wear and take off sometimes.
Dog Lift Harness Buyer’s Guide
A lot of dog parents are skeptical about using a dog lift harness for their pets at first.
Instead, they try to lift their dogs on their own, no matter how back-breaking the task may be.
Picture yourself lugging an 80-pound German Shepherd with hip dysplasia up a flight of stairs.
What if it slips out of your hands? Or you trip on the stairs yourself?
Dreadful thought, isn’t it?
Not only is a harness more comfortable for both the pet and the parent, but it is also less likely to cause injuries.
But before you jump head over heels into the market and buy the first harness that you come across, let’s quickly talk about some of the key variables that matter the most while selecting a harness.
Related: Best Dog Wheelchair
The Width Of The Support Strap
Dog lift harnesses are simple by design. They are just modified slings, to be honest, that help you take the weight off the dog’s legs and distribute it evenly across the body.
One of the most important factors that determine this weight distribution is the width of the support strap that goes around the dog’s body.
Ideally, the strap should be wide enough to cover at least half of the dog’s abdominal area.
For a large dog, that’s approximately 8-9 inches. For a small or medium-sized dog, that should be 4-5 inches at least.
Anything smaller might do more harm than good.
Related: Best Dog Steps & Stairs
Material – Can’t Go Wrong With Nylon Or Fleece
Dog lift harnesses are typically made of nylon or nylon blends due to the durability it offers.
Nylon is a foolproof choice. It is waterproof and lasts for years even with everyday use.
But the inner side of the harness that comes into contact with the dog’s skin must be lined with a softer material that doesn’t bite into the skin.
Some manufacturers line it with fleece, which is extremely soft and wouldn’t chafe the skin or cause sores.
Fleece-lined harnesses can even be kept on all day.
The caveat is that fleece tends to slip and bunch up on certain short-haired breeds. Not to mention that it can be a dander magnet.
Corduroy is a great alternative. It’s soft, doesn’t slip, and doesn’t get clogged with fur and dander. Look for a harness with reflective material on the outside if you walk your dog outdoors after dark.
Look For Soft & Sturdy Handles
One of the purposes of a dog lift harness is to make it comfortable for you to lift the dog off the floor.
So, it’s imperative that the handles and straps be sturdy, soft, slip-free, and length-adjustable.
Sturdy so that the stitches don’t fray after a few weeks or months of use. Soft so that blisters don’t form on your hands.
Slip-free for obvious reasons and length adjustable because if it cannot be adjusted and the strap is a short one, then you’d have to bend every time to help your pooch off the floor.
Fit Matters – Always Measure
Measure your dog according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Some brands size their dog lift harnesses based on the dog’s weight, whereas others require linear measurements.
Grab a measuring tape and measure the length and girth of your dog’s abdomen and chest.
The harness must comfortably go around the dog’s body. It shouldn’t cramp the dog’s belly nor should it hang loose.
Most harnesses have overlapping Velcro straps. Some might use buckles and straps.
Tips To Use The Dog Lift Harness Correctly
Despite the seemingly simple design, it takes a while for dog parents to get used to walking their dogs with their dog lift harnesses.
You might discover that the dog finds it difficult to adjust to the harness.
The harness might bunch up at the rear when the dog is climbing the stairs.
And in some cases, the dog might plain refuse to walk with the harness around their bodies.
Here are some tips to use the dog lift harness correctly.
Give The Dog Some Time To Get Used To It
An aging dog or an injured one might be undergoing a lot of pain and stress. The new harness might add to the anxiety. Give them some time to get adjusted to it. Let them wear it for a few minutes each day. Start off by gently tugging on the handles or the leash and helping them stand. Take them for small walks around your home. Always remember to reward good behavior by giving your pooch some healthy dog treats. In a few days, the dog should be comfortable in the harness.
Only Provide As Much Support As The Dog Needs
If the dog can move about fairly well, then there’s no need to lift them off the ground. Just taking some weight off their legs should suffice.
If you have a large dog, you might need a ramp to help them get into the car. Or a two-part harness, like the PetFit Solvit. Two people can lift the dog using the shoulder and hip support straps.
While helping them get up or down the stairs, provide support to the legs which are weakened and allow them to use the other legs to move.
And sadly, if your dog is completely immobile, then a vest-styled harness, like the Coodeo dog lift harness might make it easier for you to lift the dog safely.
Related: Best Dog Joint Supplements
After careful consideration and analyzing all the factors that we mentioned, we feel that there’s no better option than the Labra Dog Lift Harness.
It fits all the above-mentioned scenarios to the T.
It has a wide, heavily padded strap for even support, is fleece-lined and keeps the dog comfortable, and has length-adjustable, soft handles for you to grip easily.
To top it off, customer support is legendary. Hard to beat a combination like that!
We hope that you enjoyed reading this article and like our recommendations for the best lift harness.
If you feel that we’ve missed out on anything, then do write to us. We’d love to hear about your experiences and doggie tales.