The best joint supplement for dogs is Cosequin DS Plus MSM Maximum Strength Chewable.
As we age, our joints become less flexible, and we start to feel the aches and pains of everyday tasks like climbing stairs and walking long distances. The same can be said for dogs.
Fortunately, you can help ease your dog’s arthritis and joint pain with a high-quality joint supplement.
The trick is finding the right joint supplement. There are several different types of joint supplements, and some are more effective than others.
The most effective joint supplements contain glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM, which have been proven to promote joint health. We’ve collected a list of the 7 best joint supplements for dogs based on ingredients, safety, effectiveness, and customer reviews.
#1 Cosequin DS Plus MSM Maximum Strength Chewable
- Joint Health Support for Dogs: Cosequin, the #1 veterinarian recommended retail joint health supplement brand, contains...
- Easy to Serve: Cosequin Maximum Strength Joint Health Supplements come in tasty chewable tablets and soft chews for dogs...
- Manufactured in the United States with Globally Sourced Ingredients: Cosequin is a high-quality, dog joint supplement
Our top choice is the Cosequin DS Plus Chewable Tablets. Made by Cosequin, a trusted brand in pet supplements, this product is made from a powerful combination of ingredients that can effectively treat hip and joint problems, facilitate the regeneration and remodeling of your pooch’s cartilage, provide pain relief and improve joint health.
Furthermore, this joint supplement has also been known to alleviate symptoms of arthritis among dogs.
The Cosequin DS Plus Chewable Tablets contain MSM or methylsulfonylmethane, glucosamine, and chondroitin. All these ingredients work together to keep your dog’s joints healthy and strong. Furthermore, it comes in the form of chewable tablets, which means that administering it to your pet shouldn’t be that much of a challenge.
We like that this joint supplement contains a combination of MSM, glucosamine, and chondroitin. All these ingredients are what your dogs need for their joints to remain healthy and strong.
- The Nutramax Cosequin chewables contain glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM, all of which are essential for the formation and maintenance of healthy cartilage in a pooch’s joints.
- The Cosequin chewables are formulated for canines and suitable for dogs of all sizes and ages.
- The Cosequin MSM joint supplements are manufactured in Nutramax laboratories based in the United States, with ingredients obtained from reputable sources around the world.
- The Nutramax DS Plus MSM supplements come in chewable tablets and soft chews that can be conveniently administered to dogs.
- The Cosequin DS Plus package is available in various count sizes – 60ct, 132ct, and 250ct – to enable customers to make purchases based on their pooch’s individual needs.
- Some customers have reported that their dogs refused to eat the Cosequin DS supplements due to the unpleasant smell of the tablets.
- Multiple pooches have reportedly become sick and lethargic after using the Cosequin Maximum Strength chewables.
#2 PhyCox Canine Joint Support Soft Chews
- Newly balanced formula for optimum joint health
- Highly palatable taste
- Available in both 60 ct. or 120 ct. sizes
The PhyCox Soft Chews is another effective joint supplement that’s easy to administer to your pet since it comes in the form of soft chewable tablets.
Featuring a patented formula that prevents hip and joint problems while relieving any symptoms of joint pain with only a single dose a day, this dog supplement is highly recommended for your pet pooch.
These supplements have Phycocyanin as one of their ingredients. It’s a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that’s derived from algae and has been clinically proven to inhibit COX-2. This is an enzyme that triggers inflammation in the dog’s joints. Above all, this joint supplement has fewer side effects compared to other joint supplements for dogs. In fact, this is one of the supplements that vets highly recommend due to its effectiveness and quality of ingredients.
We like this joint supplement because it contains Phycocyanin, a natural antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory that’s derived from algae and has been proven effective in inhibiting the enzyme COX-2, which is responsible for causing joint inflammation in dogs.
- The PhyCox soft chews contain a healthy blend of glucosamine and MSM to provide the nutrition needed to support optimum joint health in dogs.
- In addition to providing support for a pooch’s joints, the PhyCox chews contain Phycocyanin, which is an antioxidant that is known to possess special anti-inflammatory properties.
- The PhyCox joint support chews are easy to administer and require customers to give their pooches once a day.
- The PhyCox soft chews are manufactured to provide preventive care for canine joints and also to provide relief from the pain and discomfort that comes with joint issues in dogs.
- These canine joint supplements for dogs usually work while inducing little or no side effects in pooches.
- Several customers have reportedly received PhyCox chews that were sticky and clumped together or too dry and crumbly for their canine buddies to eat.
- There has also been feedback about dogs being put off by the taste of these chews and, subsequently, refusing to consume the tablets.
#3 Vetriscience Laboratories Glycoflex 3 Hip & Joint Support For Dogs
- VET RECOMMENDED - Glycoflex Joint Support Supplements have been trusted and recommended by veterinarians for over 40...
- CLINICALLY PROVEN - Studies show Glycoflex can increase hind leg strength in dogs by up to 41% in just 4 weeks
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH - Glycoflex 3 is our highest strength formula, and is recommended for working dog breeds, active dogs,...
Known as one of the best dog supplements for joint health, the VetriScience Glycoflex contains Vitamins C & E on top of the MSM, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate. Furthermore, it also contains selenium and manganese that can help to strengthen your dog’s joints and muscles.
Indeed, this is one of the dog supplements that can help to significantly improve the overall condition of your highly active pet pooch. Thus, this product is highly recommended for senior dogs and working breeds.
It’s available in chicken flavor that your dog absolutely loves. The Vitamin C that’s included in this dog supplement is also important in the production of collagen that supports the overall structure of your dog’s cartilage.
We like that this joint supplement contains Vitamins C & E, two of the most essential nutrients for your dog’s health.
- Vetriscience’s joint supplements are infused with a chicken flavor to entice dogs to chew the tablets, thereby eliminating food pickiness.
- The Glycoflex 3 canine supplement is specifically formulated and effective at providing joint and connective tissue support for working and senior dogs.
- It contains a combination of 11 different active ingredients, including glucosamine, MSM, and DMG, to provide support for canine joint health.
- The Vetriscience Glycoflex supplement has been clinically proven to boost canine hind leg strength by a considerable amount within a short period.
- These Vetriscience supplements are produced and ideal for use in dogs of all weight categories without having any adverse effects.
- Several customers have commented that the Glycoflex tablets they received were too hard and had to be crumbled before they could be administered to their pooches.
- There are multiple reports of dogs refusing to chew the Glycoflex 3 tablets because of their taste and texture.
#4 Doggie Dailies Glucosamine Supplements
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
The Doggie Dallies Glucosamine joint supplement for dogs is available in soft chewable tablets, which makes it easy to administer to your pet. It contains Hyaluronic Acid and co-enzyme Q10, which is vital for the health of your dog’s joints.
The coenzyme Q10 contains antioxidant properties while the Hyaluronic Acid can help to improve the overall production of the synovial fluid that can effectively lubricate the joint capsule and alleviate joint health.
Without this fluid, swelling and pain in the joints can be more severe, which makes it extremely difficult for your dog to move. Above all, it contains vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients that promote the overall health of your dog’s joints.
We like that this product contains Hyaluronic Acid, which enhances the joint’s lubricating mechanism. It can help minimize the friction between the articular surfaces, which improves the dog’s mobility.
- The combination of glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, salmon oil, and cod liver oil contained in the Doggie Dailies supplements helps to keep the canine joints strong and healthy.
- The Doggie Dailies tablets are prepared with a cold-press extrusion process, which helps the ingredients that make up the supplements retain their nutrition and potency for dogs.
- Doggie Dailies glucosamine supplements are manufactured in a GMP-compliant and SQF-certified facility located in the United States to ensure the quality and safety of the product for canine consumption.
- The soft chewable tablets of the Doggie Dailies canine supplement are easy to administer, and they possess a chicken flavor that typically entices pooches to eat.
- The Doggie Dailies glucosamine supplements come with a 100% money-back guarantee in the event that a pooch doesn’t like the texture or taste of the tablets.
- Several dogs have reportedly become sick with diarrhea and developed itch reactions after using the Doggie Dailies supplements.
- The pills of the Doggie Dailies occasionally tend to arrive in a crumbled state, thereby unfit for canine consumption.
#5 Active Chews Premium Hip & Joint Dog Treats
- Make Playtime Fun Again: Our Glucosamine Chondroitin Hip & Joint dog chew is specially formulated for joint support, so...
- Glucosamine for Dogs: A hero among dog vitamins, glucosamine cushions and lubricates joints to help promote easeful...
- Chondroitin for Dogs: If you’re shopping for dog vitamins and supplements, make sure chondroitin is on your list. The...
The Active Chews Premium Glucosamine joint supplement for dogs contains 120 tablets in every container. Furthermore, each tablet contains MSM, organic turmeric vitamins C and E, glucosamine, and chondroitin which are all effective in improving the overall health of your dog.
This joint supplement is formulated in an FDA-approved facility and made in the United States. Also, this dog supplement has been inspected by the APHIS and certified by a 3rd-party laboratory.
We like that this dog supplement features a natural chicken flavor that dogs will love. Its rich taste and chewable formulation make it hard for your dogs to resist. Above all, it contains vital nutrients that your dog needs to improve joint health.
- The Active Chews premium joint canine treats are prepared without heating or cooking to ensure that the ingredients used to formulate the supplements remain potent and nutritious.
- The inclusion of chondroitin in the Active Chews supplements promotes the formation of healthy cartilage to enhance the shock absorption ability of a pooch’s joints.
- Additionally, Active Chews’ canine treats contain MSM and turmeric, both of which boast properties that are effective for reducing joint inflammation and providing relief to pooches suffering mobility-related pains.
- The natural chicken flavor and velvety texture of the Active Chews treats are designed to ensure that pooches are enticed to eat the supplements.
- Active Chews premium joint dog treats are produced locally in the United States, in accordance with safe manufacturing practices, with quality ingredients obtained from both local and global sources.
- The powder turmeric coating on the outside of the Active Chews treats tends to create messes and leave food stains on furniture and clothing, potentially leading to pest infestation.
- Some dogs have reportedly developed diarrhea after taking the Active Chews supplements.
#6 Paws & Pals Dogs Glucosamine Supplement
- Joint support: Extra strength formula preserves the structural integrity of joints and connective tissues to help...
- STRENGTHENS JOINTS: The glucosamine and MSM in our chewable supplements are vital components in building & maintaining...
- MAINTAINS CARTILAGE: The chondroitin in our chew supplement treats encourages the joint's connective tissue to lubricate...
The Paws & Pals Glucosamine Supplement promotes better mobility and a healthy immune system for your dogs. Each bottle contains 240 soft chewables that are easy for your dog to digest. Dogs with weaker teeth can chew this supplement just fine.
One tablet of this joint supplement each day is enough to keep your dog’s joints strong and healthy while improving their overall life. Packed with an ample amount of glucosamine amounting to 500 mg, joint supplements for dogs like this are what your dog needs to stay active and prevent any type of hip and joint problems.
What makes these joint supplements for dogs stand out from the rest is the fact that it’s formulated to taste good so it will be easy to administer it to your dogs. With this product, you’ll not have to worry about your dog not wanting to consume it. In fact, some dog owners have noticed a great improvement in their dog’s health after only a month of administering it.
We love this product because it contains the right kind of ingredients necessary for the dog’s joints to stay healthy and strong.
- This canine joint supplement contains a healthy amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to keep a dog’s cartilage and connective tissues working optimally.
- This advanced canine supplement product from Paws & Pals is formulated with chondroitin to provide lubrication and, hence, eliminate discomforts in a pooch’s joints.
- The Paws & Pals supplements are wheat-free, thereby making them ideal for consumption by pooches with grain allergies and food sensitivities.
- Paws & Pals’ glucosamine supplement also contains a blend of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that work to fortify a pooch’s immune system and prevent free radical damage within a dog’s body.
- The texture of the Paws & Pals glucosamine supplement is soft enough for pooches with weak teeth to conveniently chew before swallowing.
- There are doubts over this product’s quality control processes, as several customers claim to have received Paws & Pals chews that were in a crumbling or clumped-up state for their dogs to eat.
- Some customers have also reported that the Paws & Pals supplements come with a strong and unpleasant odor that seemingly deters their pooches from eating.
#7 Wagworthy Naturals Advanced Hip & Joint Supplement For Dogs
- STRENGTHENS, REPAIRS, REVITALIZES JOINTS & EASY TO GIVE TO YOUR DOG - This carefully crafted powerhouse of ingredients...
- DOUBLE THE STRENGTH OF ACTIVE INGREDIENTS - Our potent chewable tablet delivers twice the concentration of Glucosamine,...
- ALL NATURAL & COMPLETELY SAFE - Feel confident you are using the very best quality natural dog joint supplement! Wag...
The WagWorthy Naturals joint supplement for dogs is made from high-quality all-natural ingredients that your dogs will surely appreciate. These ingredients will help your pooch to regain mobility while providing relief from extreme joint pain.
Each ingredient used in making this joint supplement has been carefully selected by veterinarians and is guaranteed to keep your pooch healthy.
Furthermore, the product is manufactured in a GMP and FDA certified facility so you can be guaranteed that the supplements are of excellent quality.
We like this joint supplement simply because it’s made from all-natural ingredients, which is totally safe for your beloved pets. Furthermore, since it tastes and smells great, administering it to your pet is very easy.
- The Wagworthy canine supplements are produced without the inclusion of additives, wheat, soy, dairy products, or gluten, thereby making them most suitable for consumption by pooches with food sensitivities.
- The inclusion of vitamin C, omega-3, and omega-6 fatty acids in the Wagworthy supplements facilitates cartilage repair in dogs and also combats canine joint inflammation.
- The Wagworthy Naturals supplement product is backed by a 100% money-back guarantee for customers wishing to replace or get a refund on their order.
- The exclusive tart cherry blend included in this canine joint supplement product enhances the effectiveness of other ingredients in the chews and is also beneficial for canine heart health.
- Wagworthy Naturals supplements are manufactured and packaged in the United States, with the product formula developed by holistic veterinarians to ensure product quality.
- The tablets of the Wagworthy supplements are relatively large and may prove to be difficult for small dogs to chew and swallow.
- Several customers have also reported that they noticed no improvements in their dogs’ joint health, even after consistently administering the Wagworthy hip & joint supplements.
Joint Supplements For Dogs Buyer’s Guide
Having weak joints can have different effects on your pooch. While others would choose to simply lie down, while some dogs get agitated because of the pain. Others act very aggressive and will annoy you with nonstop barks!
This is why, aside from feeding your dog healthy and nutritious dog foods, you must also consider giving them joint supplements. As they say, prevention is better than a cure. So before the problem can even set in, you should keep your pet’s joints healthy by providing them with the best joint supplements for dogs namely glucosamine and chondroitin.
You might find it unnecessary to administer supplements to your healthy and active dog. But there are many reasons why you should include joint supplements, fish oil supplements, or even multivitamin supplements in your dog’s daily diet.
Improves Your Dog’s Quality Of Life
As stated above, the severity of the pain that your dog will feel when suffering from hip and joint problems can adversely affect its quality of life. Not only will the dogs be affected physically but their emotional and social wellbeing will also be affected as well.
As a dog owner, you sure know that dogs are social animals. But the excruciating pain in their joints could prevent them from socializing. This is why joint supplements for dogs are very important. These supplements help to alleviate the pain that your beloved pooch feels which improves the overall quality of life.
Dogs are like humans. Whenever they feel pain in their body, they get irritated, agitated, grumpy, and aggressive. The pain will also prevent them from playing outside or going for a walk. As you know, it’s important for dogs to exercise.
This is why joint supplements for dogs are vital. These supplements contain anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that can help to alleviate the pain and suffering of your beloved pooch. An effective supplement can help to alleviate inflammation in your dog’s joints, which is the main reason behind joint pain.
Encourages Positive Behavior
Dogs are happy creatures. But if they are in pain and can’t exercise well, you cannot expect them to maintain a happy disposition. Don’t be surprised if your pup feels agitated. That’s because suffering from joint pain is no joke.
But if you give your pooch joint supplements, they will be happy and cheerful and will always maintain positive behavior. Thus, training them will be so much easier.
Another reason why dogs must be given joint supplements is for their mobility to be significantly enhanced. It’s important that your furry friends get the much-needed exercise. But if they are feeling pain in their joints, you cannot expect them to be active and play around in the pool.
These animals have four legs that they need to move and if their joints are in pain, this can greatly affect their ability to move. You don’t want this to happen to your beloved canine companion, which is why giving them the right joint supplements, is a must.
Improves The Relationship With Your Dog
If you provide your pet’s needs, including joint supplements, your pet will feel the love and protection, which strengthens your relationship. Pet owners know that the loyalty of their dogs is precious. In fact, it’s been said that no human being can compare to the dedication, commitment, and loyalty of a dog towards its owner.
Types Of Dog Joint Supplements
The reasons above should be enough to encourage you into giving your dog the best joint supplement. But you should know that there are three main types of dog joint supplements out there and understanding each of them will help you choose the right supplement that can work for your dog.
Tablets are among the most popular joint supplements for dogs, but the problem with them is that not all pets are capable of swallowing. Some vets recommend pushing the tablet towards the back of your dog’s throat to bypass the gag reflex. This can be a painful process.
The most significant benefit of a liquid supplement is that your dog will be able to absorb every bit of ingredient into its intestinal tract. Some vets recommend mixing the liquid supplement with your dog’s food although it’s also possible to feed the liquid directly to your dog. When feeding your dog with the liquid, you can use a dropper, or in some cases, the supplements will come with their syringe.
Dog chews are perhaps the most popular joint supplements for dogs simply because they are easy to feed. Most dogs find these treats enticing and more palatable compared to the other types of supplements.
Powders are also an industry standard and they are a great choice for pet owners that don’t want the liquids or tablets. Most of the time, the powder is mixed with the dog’s drink or food, which allows for easy administration.
Most Popular Ingredients For Dog Supplements
Aside from the type of supplements, you also need to consider the ingredients used for the particular supplements that you plan on buying for your pets.
Below are some of the most common ingredients used in making joint supplements.
MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane is a popular ingredient in most joint supplements for dogs as it helps minimize the symptoms of inflammation, which is often the main reason for hip and joint problems among dogs.
Aside from its excellent anti-inflammatory properties, MSM can neutralize the circulation of free radicals that could further aggravate joint inflammation. This helps to improve your dog’s joint health.
Most joint supplements contain glucosamine since it can help to keep your dog’s bones healthy and strong. It’s a vital component of cartilage, which is the tissue making up the dogs’ joints.
Furthermore, glucosamine is an important ingredient in the development and formulation of healthy cartilage among dogs. Glucosamine also helps in reducing the severity of arthritis and alleviating the pain that comes with dogs suffering from this condition. It can also help to repair damaged cartilage, resulting in an improvement in your dog’s overall joint health.
Without pain in your pooch’s joints, you are able to bring your canine companion out for bicycle rides and even swimming.
The coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10 is a type of fat-soluble substance that’s similar to vitamins. This antioxidant is also present in those supplements that can help to improve heart conditions. When supplementing this to your dog, its antioxidant properties can help to possibly minimize the inflammation in your joints.
As you know, joints consist of two opposing bones and if the surface between these bones will not be well lubricated, there will be increased friction that could lead to excruciating pain. Hyaluronic acid and synovial fluid are two of the major components of the lubricant that are necessary to prevent the friction between these two bones and provide pain relief.
We have provided you with a list of the best joint supplements for dogs above, but of all these supplements, our top choice is the Cosequin DS Plus Maximum Strength Chewable Tablets. This supplement is what you should give to your dog if you want its joints to stay healthy and strong.
For one, it contains the necessary ingredients needed for the development and improvement of joints, such as the MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin. Above all, the product is a type of chewable supplements, which is easy to administer to your dog.