While small dogs are generally easier to care for, you do need to make some decisions differently than you would for a big dog, and choosing a harness is one of them. Whether your dog is a Chihuahua or a Yorkie, there’s sure to be a harness that fits them perfectly!
A harness that doesn’t meet a small dog’s requirement can be not only harmful to them but also dangerous. Always be sure to pick a harness of the right size for your dog. In addition, go for the one with multiple points of adjustment to provide a snug fit and the one with a handle that you can lift your pup with ease when it is necessary.
But as always, we have done all the hard work for you by picking the best harnesses for small dogs out there. So whether you’re looking for something durable and sturdy or something soft and comfortable, we’ve got you covered!
#1 Ruffwear Web Master Harness
- Super secure: Anatomically designed for canine companions with a nose for adventure; Ideal for challenging terrains,...
- Lift and assist: Made for maneuvering, the padded, reinforced handle is designed to safely and comfortably help your dog...
- Customizable fit: 5 convenient points of adjustment for full range of motion; 2 sturdy leash connection points; Anodized...
This is the best small dog harness you can buy because it would exceed your expectations in every single factor.
It’s exceptionally functional, with two leash connection points and as many as 5 points of adjustment. The latter helps you achieve a perfectly comfortable fit for your small dog, as you can use the attachment points to make the harness a perfect size for them.
Adding further to the comfort are the foam-padded straps, which make the harness comfortable for your small dog without interfering with their movements.
If you think that’s about it, then you’re in for a surprise. This is because it also comes with a reinforced handle that turns out to be incredibly useful as it allows you to lift your pooch over muddy puddles easily.
Finally – and perhaps most importantly for many users – the harness is very secure and well-designed, covering your small dog’s chest girth, rib cage, and waist. This makes it an excellent choice for both dogs that are aggressive pullers as well as escape artists.
Unlike many other harnesses, it’s almost impossible for even the smallest of dogs to escape from this harness.
It turns out to be a perfect solution for all types of dogs and for walking in all types of situations. Be it an aggressive puller, an escape artist, or walking the dog through muddy puddles, this harness would have you and your smaller buddy covered.
- The most well-designed harness on the market.
- Escape-proof and prevents pulling.
- Secure and comfortable, perfect fit.
- A handle for easy lifting.
#2 Rabbitgoo Dog Harness
- Small Dog Harness - Recommended Breeds: Small Dogs, such as Chihuahua, Havanese, Corgi, Pug, Puggle, Terrier, etc....
- No Pull, No Choke - Our non-pulling dog harness is specially designed with 2 metal leash rings for safer dog walks. Use...
- Easy to Use - This hassle-free overhead harness is easy to put on and take off with its 2 fast-release buckles. Slide...
While our top pick is a great choice, it’s a bit on the expensive side. But if your small dog isn’t an escape artist and you’re looking for a budget alternative without compromising much, then this small dog step-in harness is as close as it can get.
It comes with two leash attachment points as well, one on the back and the other on the chest. The latter is designed for heavy pullers, and it does work great for preventing their pulling efforts.
While you don’t get the same level of adjustability as the above product, it has adjustable slide straps as well and would offer an excellent fit for most small dogs.
It’s also a reasonably well-designed product to help prevent choking by distributing the pressure across the bodies of small dogs.
If you tend to walk your dog during the night or in low-light conditions, then you will be glad to know that the straps of this harness are reflective and will help with visibility under those conditions.
The material used to make this vest harness is soft and breathable – and coupled with the heavy padding – your small dog would find the harness pretty comfortable overall.
For the features and functionality it offers, it’s available at a great price. While the material is soft and breathable, there’s also a decent level of padding. Add to this the adjustability, two leash points, and a snug fit, and you have a harness that’s as good as it can get at this price point.
- Great price for overall functionality.
- Handles even heavy pullers really well.
- Made using breathable, comfortable mesh material.
- Adjustable straps to offer a snug fit.
#3 Copatchy Dog Harness
- Please be sure to use the sizing chart provided. We provide free replacements for any sizing issues no questions asked....
- Small Size , Chest size S 17-22 Inches, Neck Size: 14-17.5 Inches Weight 20-39 Lbs. Please Note that Weights and...
- Clips Around Both Your Pets Neck and Chest Allowing for The Harness To Be Both Easily Applied and Taken Off With ease
This is one of the most popular dog harnesses from Copatchy in the low price range. However, the excellent ratings and reviews it has got mean that you shouldn’t mistake the low price for a low-quality product.
One of its best features is that despite being a “no-pull” harness, it ensures no stress is put on your small dog’s neck when you pull the harness. This is because the “pulling area” is filled with a comfortable sponge and will not cause any choking.
Unlike other harnesses, you don’t have to put your small dog’s head or legs through the harness to put it on. But instead, you can clip it onto their bodies.
Finally, it’s made using a soft mesh material to keep your small dog comfortable and cool, allowing for easy walks.
It’s one of the few dog harnesses for small dog breeds in this price range that ticks pretty much all the boxes. It’s comfortable, easy to put on, made of comfortable material, and will not choke your canine baby.
- Great quality for the price.
- Very easy to put on.
- Pulling area filled with comfortable sponge.
- Has a handle for better control when needed.
#4 Eagloo Dog Harness
- Dog Harness Small - Fit Chest Girth 13.8-25.2 inch, please choose size based on your dog's chest girth by measuring...
- No Pull & Better Control - Our no-pulling harness is designed with 2 METAL leash rings and an extra handle; The V-Ring...
- Safer & More Comfortable - This no choke harness is specially built to distribute pressure evenly and safely around your...
This harness is a bit more expensive than the one reviewed above, but you do get two leash attachment points. This makes it ideal for small dogs that are a puller, but without having to make them feel uncomfortable by using the chest attachment point all the time.
Some of the other features that make an impressive choice include reflective material for more safety during the night, which is especially critical for small dogs, soft mesh lining for breathability, a handle on the back, a great size, and fantastic customer service.
We make mention of the customer service here because it’s one of the few sellers and manufacturers that offers a full replacement or refund warranty should you encounter any quality issues when using this harness.
If your small buddy is an aggressive puller – and you do not have the budget to go for our top picks – then this product will hit the spot just as well for you.
- Adjustable straps ensure a comfy fit.
- Very sturdy.
- Soft and comfortable with mesh lining.
- Two leash attachment points.
#5 Gooby Dog Harness
- FOR SMALL DOGS – Pioneer Harness is made for small breed dogs. This means that our largest size will fit a dog up to...
- TRAFFIC HANDLE – Suede finish handle provides a grip when there is a need for a close-range control as well as a...
- ADJUSTABLE – The harness provides an adjust-ability of the neck and the chest. Nylon fastener on the chest provides a...
This is one of the more expensive options on our list, but if for some reason you do not want to go for either of our two top picks above, then this one should fit the bill well for you.
It is one of the small dog harnesses in the market that prioritizes providing comfort for small dogs. The fit is great while the harness is relatively adjustable overall, and it is extremely easy to put on.
Another great feature is the memory foam padding, which makes it very soft and comfortable.
A bit of a drawback is the plastic rings, which isn’t very impressive, especially in this price range. If you can live with that, then this is a great harness overall.
Bonus Tip: Be sure to measure your dog’s neck girth and chest girth to check that the sizing is a good fit.
The memory foam padding is something that makes it a particularly important choice, especially for very small dogs that need something more comfortable than the usual materials out there.
- Memory foam padding is super comfortable.
- Great design for small dogs.
- Snug fit.
- Made using Neoprene for increased durability.
#6 Metric USA Dog Harness
- PLEASE MEASURE YOUR DOG’S CHEST, JUST BEHIND THE FRONT LEGS AND SELECT THE SIZE. Unlike Dog Collars, Harnesses fit...
- STRUGGLE WITH YOUR DOG COLLAR? We have a SOFT, COMFORTABLE Easy to Put on and Take off Soft Dog Harnesses with a Quick...
- HAVE AN ESCAPE ARTIST OF A DOG? Our pet harness has Two Reinforced D-rings that locks securely on to your leash. Easy to...
This is another affordably priced adjustable dog harness that comes with a fair few features. Just like the other product we reviewed above, it’s also straightforward to put on as you only need to clip it onto your dog.
There are two reinforced D-rings that prevent your dog from escaping the harness, so it’s also a good choice for small dogs that have a habit of escaping.
There’s no mesh material here, but the material is pretty soft and comfortable.
On the downside, you do have to be a bit careful with the sizing, or you may end up with the wrong size.
Always measure your small dog breed’s neck and chest girth before making a purchase.
If you have an escape artist but don’t want to spend much on a harness, then this harness for small dogs is one of the few options that are also very comfortable.
- Very soft and comfortable.
- Great for escape artists.
- Just need to clip on.
- Available in seven different colors.
#7 Kurgo Dog Harness
- Everyday Dog Harness - Comfortable, lightweight walking harness with 5 easy adjustable points and plastic quick release...
- No-Pull Training Clip - Pet harness has a front D-Ring to use as leash attachment to train dogs not to pull; it will...
- Includes Dog seat belt - Comes with dog seat belt 10-inch tether that can be used during car travel as a pet seat belt...
Here’s something for those that tend to travel often with their dog. This is the only small dog step-in harness on our list that comes with a seat belt for your dog.
It can be attached easily using quick-release buckles as well and has five adjustable points to ensure an excellent fit for small dogs. As a step-in harness, it is also easy to put on.
There’s only one least attachment point, but it’s on the front part to prevent pulling. The seat belt is 10 inches in length and is reasonably sturdy too, and can also be used as a short leash for training your small dogs.
Most importantly, it’s one of the most durable harnesses that can handle even a 130-pounder beast of a Rottweiler.
The durability is the biggest factor that allowed this product to make it to our list. If you have a heavy, powerful dog that tends to pull, then this harness may turn out to be your best bet in the low to mid-price range.
- Super durable.
- Comes with a seat belt.
- Quick-release buckles.
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects.
#8 RYPET Dog Harness
- SIZE: Small - Chest Girth 9"-15.5", matching leash is 59". Please measure size before purchasing. Recommended weight...
- BREATHABLE MATERIAL: Made of soft and breathable air mesh fabric, keep your pet soft and comfortbale for them walking.
- CUTE DESIGN: Classic plaid design, never out of date. Attached with cute bowtie and safe bell, you can easy find your...
Here’s the last one on our list and the cheapest dog harness we can find. Now, being the most economical option, you shouldn’t expect a lot from it.
It’s stylish, sturdy, and has a fair bit of padding on the front. The material is pretty breathable as well.
It’s also effortless to put on and adjust and is specially designed for small dogs.
However, there are some significant flaws. The back clip is not like the adjustable clasp the other products we reviewed above come with, and it can dig into the back of your dog.
Also, it’s not a suitable choice for escape artists, as it does little to prevent a small dog from slipping out of it.
If these don’t sound like something that will trouble you or your dog, then the price is great for its overall quality.
The price is the most significant factor here. And while it isn’t our favorite – if you think your dog wouldn’t mind the back clip trouble or it wouldn’t be a problem to keep it a little loose – then it may be a pretty good choice at such a low price point.
- The front part has a lot of padding.
- Easy to put on.
- Stylish look.
- Breathable material.
Small Dog Harnesses Buyer’s Guide
Now that we have reviewed the best small dog harnesses on the market, we will get to some common questions regarding this topic, with the first one being why you need a different type of harness for a small dog.
Our answer is that the best dog harness for big dogs is often designed for specific purposes, depending on the breed, weight, aggressiveness, and more. Some may be designed for walking only, while some others would be designed for traveling with a big dog in a car.
Similarly, many harnesses for big dogs need to be strong around their neck part to prevent them from pulling and dragging their owner, although not as much as to choke them.
Harnesses for the small dogs, however, need to be much gentler around the neck area, as they are usually not anywhere as aggressive when it comes to pulling.
Further, small dog harnesses ideally need to have more padding around the front area and should be softer than the ones designed for big dogs, as the former can get choked much more easily. Some dog trainers actually recommend a no-pull option, which might provide a snugger fit as compared to a traditional harness.
There are some other similar reasons too, but we are sure you get the idea, and we can move on to the other useful factors to consider.
Never Compromise On The Quality And Safety
For a small dog, nothing can be more important than the quality and safety of the harness. The harness must be strong enough not to break, even if your small furry buddy is too aggressive of a puller for their age. No-pull harnesses are an excellent choice for such little beasts.
However, at the same time, the sturdiness must not translate to a rough material that’s too hard on your dog’s skin. There have been some complaints from customers about some harnesses hurting a particular area of their dog’s body, which is not what you would want.
If your dog is very skilled at escaping from the harness, then it’s essential that you choose a harness that prevents escape. You wouldn’t want your dog escaping the harness at the wrong time and ending up in trouble.
A snug fit, too, is more important than you may think. The harness must hold securely around your dog but not get too tight to make it uncomfortable for them.
If the harness remains loose around your dog, then you may always run the risk of your dog escaping it. Many sellers and manufacturers have detailed instructions on their product pages to help you get the right size, so make sure you follow them well.
Typically, it’s recommended to go with the smaller size when in doubt between two sizes so that your pup gets a snug fit.
Finally, a reflective material can be an important factor for those that tend to walk their dogs during the night or in low-light conditions, where the reflective material would help them with visibility.
Don’t Forget The Comfort Too
Just because a harness is safe and offers a good fit doesn’t mean it will turn out to be comfortable enough for your pup. Comfort is particularly important for small dogs, as anything that causes even a bit of discomfort to them can give them a hard time.
The material is the most crucial factor here. It must be soft, comfortable, and ideally even breathable. The soft mesh material can be a good choice for dogs that are very small and delicate, though not necessary for bigger dogs.
The padding is another important factor to consider. The better the level of padding, the less friction the harness would cause against your dog’s skin.
If all else fails, you can always consider carrying your tiny pooch around in a carrier purse instead.
Other Nice-To-Have Features
There are some other useful features as well that you may want to consider. We will quickly walk you through them below.
- The harness should ideally be straightforward to put on and remove.
- Two leash attachment points (especially for heavy pullers).
- A handle that allows you to lift your pup easily when needed.
- Multiple points of adjustment.
- Lightweight (given you’re getting it for a small dog).
- A LED collar for added visibility at night.
However, there are few harnesses that come with all these features. Now, if your harness doesn’t tick all the boxes here, it doesn’t mean that it’s the wrong product. In fact, for your budget, it may be a perfect fit.
That said, if your budget does allow it, then you should go for our top pick.
Our top pick is much more expensive than most other harnesses on the market, but it’s worth every penny.
A super secure design, amazing adjustability, two convenient leash attachment points, great sturdiness, high-quality foam padding, a handle for more control and convenience, lightweight, and the list goes on.
There doesn’t seem to be any harness on the market right now that even comes close to offering what our top pick does, so it’s a true winner.