The best puppy milk replacer is PetAg Esbilac Powder Milk Replacer.
There are times when mother dogs aren’t able to nurse their puppies, be it whether she isn’t producing milk, isn’t present, or has rejected the newborn puppy.
In this case, you need the help of a puppy milk replacer. These are essentially puppy milk powders, similar to infant milk powders, which you can mix with water and feed to newborn puppies.
Puppy milk replacers typically contain natural milk protein, vitamins, and minerals that help to keep your puppy growing stronger every day to 6 weeks of age.
Below is a list of the six best puppy milk replacers and a short buying guide.
#1 PetAg Esbilac Powder Milk Replacer
- Puppy Milk Supplement: Supply vitamins and minerals for proper development and growth of puppies
- Puppy Milk Replacer: Provides a food source for orphaned or rejected newborn to 6-week-old puppies
- Balanced Diet: This puppy milk replacer powder has the ideal balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates
Our top choice is the PetAg Esbilac simply because we believe that this is the best puppy milk replacer that can offer full nutrition to your newborn puppy.
You can feed this straight away to your pup from birth until it reaches six weeks. This milk is available in powder form and you can easily make it into milk by adding water. There are also highly palatable recipes provided that include vegetable oils along with dried cream. This provides your puppy with all the valuable nutrients that it needs to grow strong, healthy, active, and smart!
Having a protein content of 33% and 40% fat content, the Esbilac powder puppy milk replacer is definitely what your young puppy needs to be healthy.
This puppy milk replacer contains the friendly bacteria Lactobacillus, which produces lactic acid and helps with your pup’s digestion. Furthermore, this pet formula is made of carefully selected vitamins and minerals, which are good for your pup’s health.
Simply mix the milk powder with warm water in a 1:2 ratio, and you will have the liquid milk replacer ready to go!
We like PetAg Esbilac a lot because it’s the perfect puppy milk replacer that can supplement your pup’s needs. In fact, it can also be used to feed dogs that are skinny and require a good source of nutrients for energy.
- This powder milk replacer is perfect for rejected or motherless puppies who may not have access to breast milk and it is available in 1.75-oz, 5-oz and 12-oz packs.
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics that help with digestion and overall gut health.
- It is rich in protein that helps with body mass and energy levels.
- It is well balanced as it contains vitamins, carbohydrates and fats for overall health and wellness.
- Contains minerals and amino acids that help with heart, brain and immune systems.
- Some pups experienced diarrhea and vomiting after taking it the first few times.
- Requires precise water to powder measurements or else your pups will refuse to drink it.
#2 Petlac Milk Powder
- Milk Formula: Supplies vitamins, minerals, and amino acids for puppies' proper growth and development
- Milk Replacement: Provides a food source for orphaned or rejected newborn to 6-week-old puppies
- Replacement for Mothers' Milk: Vegetable protein provides your puppies or dogs the extra nutrition they need
For dog owners who are on a tight budget, Petlac Milk Powder is what we would recommend. Offering 28% of fat and 29% protein, this milk formula for pups is what your pet needs to stay active and energized.
It contains 0.9 mg of iodine for every pound of milk and can be used as a nutritional supplement for lactating and pregnant dogs.
When you feed your pup with this milk, your pet will enjoy 389 kcal for every pound of milk that they consume. This comes in the form of powder, which you can make into liquid by simply adding warm water. Fortified with a blend of vitamins and minerals, as well as Lactobacillus, this is the puppy milk replacer that can support your young puppy’s digestion.
We like Petlac Milk Powder for puppies because it’s perfectly designed to help nourish rejected or orphaned puppies that can’t feed on their mom.
- This milk powder is available in a 10.58-oz pack and can also be used by growing or adult doggies as a healthy milk substitute.
- It is easy to digest and easy to mix together for an authentic milk flavor.
- Contains vital minerals, vitamins, and amino acids, all of which boost body growth and development.
- Contains a balanced mix of proteins for energy, carbohydrates, and vitamins for overall health.
- It is ideal for supporting a post-surgery diet or recovering pups and can stay well frozen for up to 6 months.
- As is with every new product, pups take time to get used to the taste.
- Some doggies with sensitive tummies experienced bloating and vomiting.
#3 PetAg Goat’s Milk Esbilac
- Goats' Milk: Provide a milk formula for newborn to 6-week-old puppies with sensitive digestive systems
- Esbilac Powder for Puppies: This powdered goats' milk supplement supplies vitamins and minerals for the proper growth of...
- Balanced Diet: Goats' Milk Esbilac Powder contains natural whole goats' milk and an ideal balance of protein and fat
Some veterinary experts think that goat’s milk is similar to milk that dogs produce, which is why the Goat’s Milk Esbilac from PetAg can be an excellent puppy milk replacer for your pup.
Available in powder form, this milk offers balanced nutrition for your younger pups. It contains lots of proteins, as well as soybean oil, and lots of vitamins and minerals.
The Esbilac formula has 40% fat and 33% protein and provides your pet with 408 kcal for every pound of milk. This puppy milk replacer can also be used to supplement the diet of sickly pets and those that have just gone through surgery. Your beloved pup will surely find this goat milk nutritious, delicious, and appetizing.
We like that this milk powder for puppies from PetAg has everything that you need to help your canine friend stay healthy and strong. But aside from the pups, adult dogs can also benefit from this, especially the sickly and convalescing dogs.
- This product from PetAg is a goat’s milk replacement for pups between 0 to 6 weeks and contains all-natural ingredients available in 5-oz or 12-oz packs.
- It contains no preservatives or artificial ingredients, which makes it perfect for growing pups and those with allergies.
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics that help with the immune system, as well as digestion.
- Contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids that provide wellness for your pup.
- Contains proteins and carbohydrates that help with bone formation, growth, and development.
- Some pups experienced vomiting and weight loss after taking this formula.
- The unique goat’s milk powder smell requires some effort getting used to.
#4 Nutri-Vet Milk Replacement For Puppies
- FULL MEAL REPLACEMENT FOR NEWBORNS - Contains essential amounts of protein, fat and carbohydrates plus vitamins,...
- GROWTH & WEIGHT GAIN - Readily accepted by newborn puppies and produces excellent growth rates and weight gain.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY GUT - Contains Opti-Gut, our natural recipe, complete with probiotics, for supporting a healthy gut,...
The Nutri-Vet milk replacer is a great, suitable alternative to the milk that the mother dog can naturally produce for her pup after giving birth.
It’s exceptionally rich in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Furthermore, this puppy milk replacer has colostrum and can work well for all breeds of dogs. It offers a perfect balance of antibody molecules, including vitamins and minerals as well as essential electrolytes, which is what every pup would need.
This powdered puppy milk has 33% protein and 40% fat. It offers the best milk proteins combined with corn syrup.
It’s also perfect for the pregnant and lactating pooch and is available in powder form. You just have to add warm water to it to make it into liquid milk that you can feed to the puppy. When feeding this to your pet, your pooch will get 2,472 kcal in every pound of milk they drink.
From actual customers’ feedback, they mentioned that it tastes just as great as the real mother’s milk and won’t upset your pooch’s sensitive digestive systems.
We like Nutri-Vet’s puppy formula because it contains carbohydrates, fats, protein, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that newborn puppies essentially need. Coupled with its Opti-Gut recipe to improve gut health in terms of nutrition levels, Nutri-Vet’s holistic formula is able to rival against that of a mother dog’s colostrum.
- Comes in a 12-oz pack and contains a balance of carbohydrates, proteins, and other essential nutrients for overall wellness in newborn and weaning pups.
- Contains fats and other amino acids that help with gradual weight gain and growth.
- It has Opti-Gut and probiotics for proper digestion and gut health.
- Manufactured in the United States with natural ingredients, this product has the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) quality seal.
- It is easy to mix so your pup has a ready milk drink in no time.
- Some pups became dull and lethargic after taking this replacement.
- Some doggies experienced vomiting and loose stool after use.
#5 Sav A Caf Products Grade A Ultra 24 Milk Replacer
- Multi-purpose all milk protein nursing formula
- For use in calves, foals, goat kids, lambs, baby pigs, fawns, elk calves, llama crias, puppies and kittens
- Universal milk replacer, exclusive magic crystal technology produces the best mixing product on the market today
The Sav A Caf milk replacer uses a generic milk formula that is also applicable to feed other animals. It’s available in powder form that must first be mixed with water before use and is sold in a 4-lb bag.
Having a high protein content of 24%, this puppy milk replacer contains mostly milk proteins. Some parts of the fats in this puppy milk replacer are made of coconut oil. Furthermore, it also contains minerals, selenium, zinc, as well as vitamins A and E.
We like this puppy milk replacer simply because it’s not only designed for pups, but it can also be used to feed adult pets that have undergone surgery or those that need nutrients.
- This milk replace comes in a 4-lb resealable bag and is perfect for doggies and other newborn animals like calves.
- Contains 24% fat and 24% milk proteins, which help with digestion and energy for performance.
- Contains essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, to boost growth and immunity.
- Comes with an easy 2:1 mixing ratio, which makes it easy and quick to make.
- It is also perfect for supporting a post-surgery diet or recovering doggies.
- The bag does not specifically mention puppies, which can be confusing for some owners.
- This product has a strong chemical smell, and pups have experienced vomiting after taking it.
#6 Vets Preferred Puppy Milk Replacement Dog Supplement
- Puppy Milk Replacement Formula Rich with essential proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals. Perfect for puppies who are...
- Delicious and easy to digest. Contains critical digestive enzymes and immunoglobulin to help maintain a healthy...
- For Strong Bones and Healthy Teeth. Made with natural milk proteins and calcium to support a healthy development.
This puppy milk replacement formula is a high-fat, high-protein, high-vitamin, and high-mineral formula for puppies. It isn’t only great for puppies but also for senior dogs and lactating mothers who aren’t getting the nutrition they require at this stage of their growth.
The product is made in a GMP-certified facility to assure the highest quality and safety. Since this product was made with natural milk proteins and calcium, it promotes healthy teeth and strong bones to help puppies grow and develop appropriately.
The formula combines digestive enzymes and immunoglobulin and is designed to help dogs with weak immune systems, such as pups and senior dogs, stay healthy. Even fussy dogs will like its delicious milky flavor.
Because of its natural milky flavor, this puppy milk replacement formula from Vets Preferred is perfect for a picky furry eater who has a very refined taste of what it wants. Additionally, if you have a puppy or a senior dog who is currently in need of essential nutrients, this supplement may help you regain your dog’s healthy state.
- This replacement formula is available in a 12-oz pack and is perfect for lactating, nursing, and pregnant doggies.
- Enriched with colostrum, which is the initial breast milk that usually contains the most essential minerals and nutrients for pup growth and health.
- Contains critical digestive enzymes and immunoglobulin, which boost digestion and gut health.
- It is rich in natural milk proteins and calcium, and these help with strong teeth and bones development.
- Contains antibodies that help aging doggies, and it is safely manufactured in a GMP-certified facility
- The mixing instructions are hard to read, and this can make the replacement milk not taste great or offer optimal health benefits.
- Some doggies with sensitive tummies experienced vomiting and diarrhea.
Puppy Milk Replacers Buyer’s Guide
Feeding your pup with the best puppy milk replacer is the only way to keep it nourished if the mom is not around to nurse it. However, when it comes to puppy milk replacers, don’t just buy anything that you see online. You need to take your time to do your research and ensure that you only get the best for your pup.
So if you’re buying puppy milk replacer for your young furry friend, here’s a guide to help you out.
When it comes to buying any product that you’ll use to feed your beloved pet, the ingredients should be among the first things that you need to check. Of course, the puppy milk replacer should be made from premium quality ingredients.
If you’re going to feed your pet with low-grade milk, you could end up putting their health at high risk and make them susceptible to diseases. Look for a product that’s made of ingredients that are vet-approved and those that can support the development and growth of your pup.
For 1st-time puppy pet parents, we have compiled a comprehensive new puppy checklist of everything you need to get for a new pup.
Just like with any pet food, shelf life is an important consideration when buying puppy milk replacers. Remember that even if you store it in the best storage place, the product can still go bad as time goes by. So, find out the shelf life of the product before buying and make sure you can still use it to feed your pups for a long time so your money will not go to waste.
When not in use, be sure to store the puppy milk replacers in the fridge or in an airtight storage container.
Puppies need different kinds of food depending on their age. This is also applicable to puppy milk replacers. When shopping for the best puppy milk replacers for puppies, you must choose something ideal for their age.
As the puppy grows older, you can opt for breed-specific foods such as Golden Retriever dog foods and Shih Tzu dog foods.
Of course, you should choose something that’s not too complicated to feed to your pup. It must be easy to prepare and incorporate into your pup’s diet. Choose a product that mixes well with water and is something easy to serve to your dog. Avoid those that require some special devices or tools to feed your pups.
The packaging of a product can say a lot about the product itself! So check the packaging of the puppy milk replacer before buying. If it’s packed in cheap plastic, this will put the product at risk of contamination and could make it spoil easily. Opt for products that have solid packages and are re-sealable since these products are guaranteed to stay fresh for longer.
Why You Should Buy Puppy Milk Replacers?
Before you start buying a puppy milk replacer, you might want to ask yourself whether it’s vital for your pup.
Here are some reasons why you should feed your pup with a puppy milk replacer:
- It has unique antibodies that can help to strengthen the pup’s immune system.
- It mimics the milk formula that the mother can feed to the pups, including the nutrients.
If the mother, for whatever reason, cannot nurse the puppy, then your best bet is to feed your pup with puppy milk replacers. For as long as your pup gets the right amount of nutrients that it needs, you can be certain that your pup will grow healthy and strong.
But remember that the puppy milk replacer is not only for puppies that don’t have mothers. There are mother dogs that cannot produce enough milk, so they can’t feed their pups with enough nutrients. In this case, you can feed them with a milk replacer to supplement the required nutrients.
Here’s a list of other puppy guides that you might be interested in:
Milk Powder VS Liquid Formulas
Both the milk powder and liquid formulas for a puppy have the same goal, and that is to nourish your newborn pup and help it to grow healthy and strong. If you cannot decide which of these products to buy, here’s what you need to know about them:
Since milk powder formulas do not contain a significant amount of moisture, they tend to last much longer than their liquid counterparts. Moisture helps the bacteria to thrive, which is why powder formulas are better than liquid ones. The powder formulas also tend to last longer than the liquid ones, which saves you money since you can avoid buying them frequently. This comparison is similar to baby milk products too.
But the downside with powder formulas is that they can’t be served right away. You may have to mix it with water before feeding your pup. Also, some products require a bit of experimentation for you to achieve the right dose.
The liquid milk formulas, on the other hand, are much easier to use since you no longer need to mix or prepare the milk before feeding it to your pup. You just basically need to measure them before feeding. But since they include water, they are easily prone to spoilage. This is why if you choose to purchase a liquid formula, you better make sure that your pup will consume it quickly or they could get soiled.
Remember, it’s absolutely not a good idea to feed your pup with soiled milk as this can make them suffer from certain illnesses, including diarrhea.
Why You Should Avoid Artificial Fillers?
When looking at the ingredients of the puppy milk replacer, avoid those that contain artificial fillers and preservatives since this is not good for your pup. Artificial flavors and coloring could compromise your pup’s health since their digestive tract is very sensitive and their immune system is not yet fully developed.
Natural additives and fillers should be fine but avoid those that contain a lot of salt and sugar. These ingredients will not bring any nourishment to your pup and might just put them at high risk of developing certain diseases.
After 7 to 8 weeks of milk feeding, your puppy should be weaned, and you can start feeding it puppy foods.
All of the puppy milk replacers we’ve featured above are great for your pups, but we believe our number one choice has all the nutrients that your pups should need to make them strong and healthy.
The product contains 33% protein and 40% fat, which is perfect for their nutrition. Above all, it contains Lactobacillus, the friendly bacteria that can help with your pup’s digestion and stay healthy even if they don’t feed on their mother’s milk!
So if you are now in the process of looking for the best puppy milk replacers for puppies, look no further! Rest assured that you’ll never go wrong with our top pick.