The teething process in puppies can cause much pain and discomfort. This happens as their baby teeth are replaced by permanent adult canine teeth and molars. Most puppies will experience teething at around three weeks old, and this stops when they reach six months old.
Most puppies will often look for something to chew to make the pain go away. Chew toys are a great way for puppies to relieve gum tension and help with teething. Such toys also keep puppies entertained and mentally stimulated.
However, not all chew toys are created equal. Some are deemed safer and more effective than others in terms of design and flavor. So, what are the best chew toys for puppies? Keep reading to find out!
#1 Legend Sandy Puppy Chew Toys
- GREAT VALUE 14 PACK DOG TOYS ALL STAR: Various kinds of popular puppy toys, including rubber dog-ring toy, 4 shaped...
- VARIETY CHEW TOYS FOR PUPPIES TEETHING: Natural rubber toys, specially designed for teething puppies and small dogs,...
- SELF & INTERACTIVE PLAYING DOG TOYS FOR BOREDOM: Dogs will never stop getting fun from the squeaky toys. Frog and...
You can’t go wrong with the Legend Sandy Puppy Chew Toys. It comes with 14 different sets of chew toys, providing endless fun for your young pooch!
The set serves a wide range of purposes. From improving chewing to cleaning your puppy’s baby teeth and massaging gums, reducing the buildup of plaque to preventing gum diseases and keeping them healthy, it is a one-stop solution for everything.
A lot of puppies develop unpleasant biting behavior. This can be effectively redirected with the help of puppy teething toys. Moreover, puppies also develop a behavioral pattern we often term as ‘separation anxiety.’ This can be taken care of by providing the toy set that serves as a distraction and grows into a better habit.
The plastic toys are absolutely safe to use because there are no plastic or rubber parts. They are made of 100% non-toxic, BPA-free plastic.
The rope toys are made from 100% adopted natural cotton and come tightly hand-knotted for that added durability.
Maintaining chew toys of puppies could be quite tough, considering the fact that they play around in dust and dirt all day. However, this chew toy offers great ease of maintenance by being 100% machine washable.
We recommend this because it is a safe, fun, versatile, and maintenance-free way of developing healthy chewing habits early in life.
- Your pup can enjoy 14 different types of chew toys like plush toys, a rubber ring, rubber toys, and dog rope toys.
- Safe and washable for your dogs as it is made of 100% non-toxic, durable materials.
- Has a variety of chew toys perfect for teething pups, and this is because of their soft, chewy, groovy, and bumpy design to help massage itchy gums and improve dental health.
- Your doggie can use such chew toys indoors and outdoors, and they can easily be cleaned when dirty.
- These toys offer hours of fun and play for pups, with squeaky plush toys for self-playing and rope toys that help you play with and train your dog.
- Depending on how playful your pup is, they might chew through the rubber toys and swallow the breakaway pieces that can be dangerous for them.
- The rope toys are not always durable as they unravel with time, and they can also be a choking hazard, especially for smaller dog breeds.
- Might not be useful for puppies that chew excessively.
#2 Benebone Bacon Flavored Wishbone Chew Toy
- DURABLE, LONG-LASTING – Super chewer? Bring it on. Benebones are tougher than real bones and last for weeks.
- REAL BACON! – We use only 100% REAL BACON for flavor. Trust us, dogs can tell the difference.
- EASY TO PICK UP AND CHEW – The Wishbone is curved for a paw-friendly grip so your pup can quickly grab it and get a...
This curved wishbone will help your puppy to pop up one side and chew away happily at the other. Its large surface area is adequate for your puppy to munch on, and the deep grooves facilitate a good bite and a great grip.
From what we reviewed and researched, it was clearly evident that dog owners, as well as pets, absolutely love this chew toy. It is a lot of fun to play tug-of-war with, which is what most users had to say. Having ordered one, a lot of them came back for the second or more for other pets or simply to keep them as a backup.
This dog toy is specifically designed for pets that weigh 70 pounds or lesser. Its durability is what people love about it. Your pet will gnaw at it for hours without being able to make a single dent on it. It is made of tough nylon material that is well-known for its durability. Even if your puppy is an aggressive chewer, you can rest assured because this wishbone will not show any sign of wear and tear.
What’s more, it is naturally flavored with bacon that makes it absolutely irresistible for your little pup. It is bound to get your pet away from gnawing at furniture.
We recommend this because it has a unique design that makes chewing a lot more fun for your pet and a flavor that is simply irresistible.
- Made of durable nylon and is perfect for strengthening their teeth and overall dental health.
- Made of 100% bacon, which offers an appealing flavor and taste for your pup.
- The realistic wishbone design makes it easy for your pup to pick up, hold and chew on.
- The chew toy is made in the USA, meaning that your purchase will go to the support of a local business.
- The toy is affordable because you only have to replace it after a month or so; however, you should check the wear levels and change it as needed.
- As the bone wears away after chewing on it for some time, the toy can be a choking hazard.
- It can cause slab fractures in your pup’s teeth if they are not strong enough, so seek some guidance from your vet if it is the best chew toy for them.
- Might not be suitable for puppies who dislike the flavor of bacon.
#3 Lobeve Dog Chewing Teething Toys
- SUPER VALUE SETS : 10 pack dog toys set,Including lovely without stuffing plush puppy toy and various dog rope toys.Our...
- GREAT FOR HEALTH : Puppy chew toys help with the urge to chew while helping soothe your pup's gums and promote clean...
- AMAZING GIFT IDEA ：This dog toys set is best GIFT IDEA for friends who have a puppy. It's also be a great gift idea...
This set of Lobeve Dog Toys does not only mean loads of fun for your puppies but also helps their proper development. For teething puppies, it can be a painful experience, and chewing on these ropes can help reduce the pain while also keeping teeth and gums healthy and clean.
This is more of an interactive toy that your pet will never have enough of. It is bound to be your pup’s ultimate backyard tug toy that can be mounted on the ground and spend endless hours playing tug-of-war. The entire set consists of a durable chew rope, a puncture-resistant ball, toy ropes, flying discs, squeak toys, etc. It is an ideal set of toys for small to medium dogs.
It will be your dog’s perfect treat or toy gift, whether it is a birthday, a special occasion, or just because you love your pup’s antics.
The flying discs are made of durable material. They will fly, float, and are flexible, thus giving your pup a number of opportunities to play around. The squeaking bones and the multicolored rings are perfect for meltdowns and distractions.
We recommend this because it is a versatile set that can be used as your pup grows up into a medium-sized dog while enjoying endless hours of fun.
- Offers variety for your pup to play with as the pack has ten different types of toys like stuffing-free plush toys and dog rope toys.
- Made of non-toxic and pup-safe materials, such as latex, rubber, and cotton fiber, all of which are also smell-free.
- Offers hours of fun and chewing excitement for your pup and comes with different toys for indoors and outdoors.
- Helps to soothe the gums of the teething pup and its overall dental health.
- This is the perfect chew toy pack to give as a gift to other pup parents.
- Not ideal for aggressive chewers as the materials can wear off after a short time.
- You need to supervise your pups as they play with these toys to protect them from choking.
- The rope could be a little too stiff for smaller puppies.
#4 KONG Puppy KONG Toy
- Small Puppies (Up to 20 lbs): This KONG Puppy toy is 1.75" by 3"; made of a soft rubber formula for a growing puppy's...
- Fetch and Chew Toy: The KONG Puppy's bounce makes for games of fetch & is an ideal chew toy for the puppy's teeth and...
- Stuffing: The stuffable KONG Puppy is more enticing when filled with KONG Puppy Easy Treat and KONG Snacks. For an added...
Did you know?
The KONG Puppy KONG Toy is highly recommended all over the world by trainers, veterinarians as well as behavior experts.
It is made of exclusive rubber formula that is perfect for teething puppies. There are a number of purposes that it serves; helps in crate training, reduces separation anxiety, aids in the development of proper chewing, and inhibits misbehavior.
Needless to say, it is the perfect solution when your pup demands endless hours of fetch. Its soft puppy rubber formula is great for your pup’s soft and developing gums. You can stuff this chew dog toy with treats like peanut butter. This will keep your pooch entertained as it tries to lick every single blob of the tasty peanut butter.
We recommend this because it serves all the purposes of a safe and reliable chew toy for puppies.
- The attractive and unique shape of the KONG toy is perfect for fetching, and it gives your pup hours of running and fun.
- Made of non-toxic soft rubber, which makes it the perfect chew toy for teething pups and also safe for a dishwasher cycle.
- The design makes it perfect for stuffing with peanut butter or other snacks that it can enjoy and boost its brain development as they play.
- Comes in four different sizes, and you can choose the best option for your pup’s size and breed.
- It is recommended by trainers and veterinarians for its safety and durability for your pups.
- After being chewed on for some time, some of the rubber material can wear off and be swallowed by your pup, which can sometimes cause intestinal blockage.
- Those with a heightened sense of smell may not like the rubber smell.
- Unfortunately, its color options are limited to just two colors!
#5 N-Bone Puppy Teething Ring
- Made In The USA
- Helps Relieve Teething Pain And Soreness
- Edible And Digestible
The N-Bone Teething Ring is a unique teething toy that is digestible as a treat too!
With a unique ring shape, it helps your puppy to relieve its teething pains while massaging its gums.
It is a 2-in-1 unique product, as it contains essential nutrients such as calcium and DHA Omega-3 to aid in your puppy’s development. With five different flavors (chicken, salmon, pumpkin, peanut butter, blueberry), your little pup will be spoilt for choices.
Depending on the breed of your puppy, each ring could provide around 30-60 minutes of chew time. However, it can be an expensive option as compared to the non-edible puppy teething toys.
- Comes in a friendly ring shape, which makes it easy to chew on.
- It is safe for pups as it is digestible and free of corn, soy, plastic, or rubber.
- Comes in 5 flavors, including chicken, salmon, pumpkin, peanut butter, and blueberry, so your pups can choose their favorite option.
- It is rich in calcium and DHA Omega-3, making this ring perfect for your pup’s health and development.
- Provides up to 60 overall minutes of chew time so your pup can get in their fair share of chewing exercise.
- Costing around $1.20 per ring, it is a more expensive option as compared to a traditional, non-edible puppy chew toy.
- The ring can break off into chunks depending on your pup’s strength, and this can pose a choking hazard.
#6 Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Toy
- FUN & OCCUPYING - Multi textured chew toy keeps dogs busy while satisfying their natural urge to chew
- MADE OF DURABLE NYLON - Long lasting dog chew toy challenges even the most aggressive chewers and discourages...
- SUPPORTS DOG DENTAL HEALTH - Helps clean teeth and freshen breath as dogs chew
Do you wish to improve your dog’s chewing behavior?
Trust Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Toy to make your powerful chewers simply love their playtime. This chew toy is made of durable nylon that will not show any sign of wear and tear, even if your puppy is an aggressive chewer.
It will help to satiate your puppy’s urge to chew and will also encourage positive chewing habits. There are raised bristles on this textured chew toy that also helps clean teeth while they are chewing away at the toy.
Most chew toys on the market are not tempting enough, and your pet is likely to grow out of them. However, this is infused with irresistible flavors that will encourage your puppy to chew and have long-lasting fun.
We recommend this because it is perfect for the formation of healthy chewing habits that goes on to lay the foundation for good food habits later.
- Made of durable and doggie-safe nylon, which offers hours of chewing fun.
- This is one of the chew toys available specifically for large dogs over 50 lbs because it can withstand aggressive chewing.
- Great design of nubs and ridges, which prevent plaque and tartar buildup on your doggie’s teeth.
- Comes in an original savory flavor, which is appealing to your furry friend.
- Is made in the USA, so your purchase goes to the support of a local brand.
- Over time, frequent chewing could lead to jagged edges on the toy, and its bits would break off and make their way to the digestive tract.
- Not ideal for smaller dog breeds because the toy can cause the chipping of their teeth.
Buyer’s Guide – Best Chew Toys For Puppies
Our reviews are based on information and research that we source reliably. They are also based on the current market trends and what experts and professionals in the respective field have to say.
Not limiting our reviews to information alone, we also refer to actual customer reviews given by dog owners from various accredited sources so that you can rest assured about your choice.
Chew toys are a great way to help your puppy ease the pain of teething. Moreover, chewing is a basic function and natural behavior that all puppies and dogs display.
How We Found The Best And Reviewed Them
Once we bring all the information together, we came up with this review article to showcase the safest and most effective chew toys for that teething puppies of yours.
It is important to understand that providing them with chew toys will actually help in the proper development of their teeth, jaw structure and also improve their food habits early in life.
Before you buy chew toys for your puppy, you should be well aware of your dog’s chewing patterns. Knowing why your dog chews are the first step toward making the right purchase.
Puppies tend to be very playful and have a natural tendency to be investigative. Playing with other dogs and humans, along with object play, is important for dogs to learn about socialization, social development, and the environment they live in.
You will often find your puppies sniffing around and tasting foreign objects. This is a way in which they investigate their environment and learn new things about it. If your puppy is chewing and gnawing often, it is mostly because puppies have a natural urge to chew and gnaw at things.
There can be a number of other reasons to chew. The main reason is to alleviate the pain that they experience during their teething process.
They may chew to draw attention because they have been conditioned to believe that they will receive a reward to stop doing it. Some puppies chew for no reason because they might be trying to respond to anxiety.
If puppies or dogs are confined in a crate for long periods of time in the same area, they might chew in order to dig their way out of it. This is often considered a sign of destructive behavioral tendencies in a dog.
When in doubt, always consult your vet and seek their advice.
What Factors Make A Good Chew Toy For Puppies?
It is important to understand the factors that go into making a good chew toy for puppies. They are listed below:
- Made of safe and non-toxic material.
- To be of a size that is large enough to not swallow.
- Should not have small parts, buttons, and strings that could be swallowed by your dog.
- Easily washable.
- Able to withstand wear and tear without showing signs of deterioration.
You can’t deny the fact that no matter how many toys your puppy has, a chew toy will always be a favorite. You can trust him/her to go back to it even if you have attempted innumerable times to distract his/her attention. However, there will be one or more situations in which his favorite objects to chew on would be your couch or your expensive pair of shoes.
Puppies absolutely love gnawing at shoelaces, and unless you have specifically designed chew toys that he can’t do without, anything in the house could be an easy target.
Related: Best Puppy Playpens
Importance Of Having A Chew Toy
Puppies have the unfortunate combination of curiosity and a love for chewing. This often leads to dental injuries like broken teeth, dental chips, eye and mouth injuries, etc. We have also heard of the need for surgeries and extractions in severe cases.
If you have not offered the right chew toy to your pet, there is a high probability of him/her consuming foreign objects while chewing and exploring. They might have symptoms like vomiting, reluctance to eat, abdominal pain, and disorientation. These are enough reasons to buy the right chew toy for your puppy as soon as possible.
Related: Best Puppy Training Treats
How To Choose A Puppy Chew Toy?
Before making a purchase, it is important to understand what your puppy toys should have and what they should not have. Listed below are some of the important factors.
It is of prime importance when you are buying a chew toy for your puppy. Buying low-quality chew toys could save money for now, but they are mostly unreliable. They might contain hazardous parts and may be made of hazardous materials that could be toxic for your puppies. Be wise and invest in reliably sourced and safe chew toys from the beginning.
When you hand new puppy toys to your gnawing chewing little Fido, always stay nearby in the initial days. This is because you need to be absolutely sure that they are as safe as they claim to be.
There is a high demand for digestible dental chew toys, and this is because of the safety that they offer. It is always recommended to opt for stuff like these if your budget permits.
The toy that you choose should ideally be bigger than the size of your dog. However, if a toy is too big for a smaller breed, it will not have much fun out of the toy. Choose an appropriate size and watch them play away.
Just like children, puppies grow out of toys pretty quickly, and if you offer them the same toy every time for a long period, they will lose interest. This is exactly why you should introduce one toy at a time and rotate the toys on a weekly basis. This practice keeps them occupied, and playtimes are much more fun.
Final Thoughts – Chewing Is Second Nature To Dogs (& Puppies!)
Chewing is a natural urge of all puppies and dogs. Hence, puppy toys that bring fun and satisfy this urge simultaneously would make a good investment.
If this is developed properly in the early days, it will go on to form good food habits and will be a blessing for you as well as your pet.
Chew toys are significantly responsible in this regard, and if you can lay your hands on a safe and reliable chew toy, then you are sorted for a long time.
We hope that this article has helped you to get a fair idea of what to look for before you invest in your puppy’s favorite plaything.