The best dog bike trailer is Burley Tail Wagon Dog Bike Trailer.
Dog bike trailers might seem like a strange concept to dog owners. After all, why not let your dog run along beside your bike?
Well, there are many reasons why a dog bike trailer could be a smarter, safer, and more practical option.
- Low stamina dogs: They simply do not have the capacity to keep up with your biking.
- Injured or sick dogs: Giving recuperating dogs an opportunity to get outdoors without overexerting themselves.
- Easily distracted dogs: Having these dogs contained in a trailer safely, without worrying that they will tug and pull.
You don’t need to worry as there is a wide range of dog bike trailers that come in handy to help you in such situations. Here are some of the best dog bike trailers that you can get for your canine friend.
#1 Burley Tail Wagon Dog Bike Trailers
- Tail Wagon by Burley features a removable floor for washing, optional securing tie downs
- Side battens for stability; flip-down tailgate for loading and unloading.Spacious interior with 75 lb. carrying capacity
- All-weather cover with waterproof zippers; heavy-duty mesh cover on four sides for maximum airflow
You can finally conclude your search for the best dog bike trailers by laying your hands on the Burley Tail Wagon.
It comes in a great design that features a removable floor for washing purposes as well as a canopy that will shelter your dog from external conditions such as rain or too much sunlight. It just weighs 23.5 lbs.
- A robust, robust, easy to fix on, and take-off bicycle trailer. The alloy wheels allow you to move effortlessly on all terrain.
- When folded, its physical dimensions measure 35 inches long by 23 inches wide by 13 inches tall.
- Has an all-weather cover to shield your dog.
- Features a heavy-duty mesh cover for enhanced aeration.
- A removable bottom floor panel for the ease of cleaning.
- 16-inch quick-release alloy wheels.
- Spacious interior and large weight support up to 75 lbs.
#2 Aosom Elite II Dog Bike Trailers
- 2-IN-1 DESIGN: Can be used as a bike stroller that you push as you run, or it can be attached to your bike as a bike...
- KEEP YOUR PET COMFORTABLE: This bike cart is made with oxford fabric and a steel frame to keep the bicycle trailer...
- EASY ENTRY AND VENTILATION: Let your pet enjoy the breeze with the roomy sunroof on the bike wagon! Your pet can easily...
Getting an excellent dog bike trailer may be discouraging to many, owing to the hefty price tag. However, with the Aosom elite pet bike carrier, you will have an awesome dog trailer at a great price. The dog bike trailer is lightweight and can handle the weight of 66 lbs.
An affordable price tag (around 60% cheaper as compared to other brands) makes the Aosom Elite II an irreversible pick. Super lightweight, weighting at around 37 lbs fully assembled.
- Measuring 52 inches long by 31 inches wide by 41 inches tall.
- Lightweight, hence it can be hauled easily when not in use.
- Easy to set up or fold when you want to store it.
- Mesh zippered entry and exit point that allows for smoother loading and unloading.
- Comes with a leash hook for the safe securing of your dog.
#3 Lucky Dog Pull-Behind Dog Bicycle Trailer
- Transport pets up to 85 lbs. while riding your bike
- Pneumatic rubber tires ensure a smooth ride for your pooch
- Large front and back mesh zippered screen doors
For a reliable and quality dog trailer, the Lucky Dog Pull-Behind Dog Cycle Trailer is an excellent pick. With its pneumatic wheels, this is a good partner for you and your poodle while on a stroll. This dog bike trailer is a good option when your dog is recovering from injuries or is physically disabled.
This dog bike trailer is very adaptable due to its simplicity, rust-resistant material, and also its 20-inch pneumatic wheels. These wheels allow for movement in pavements, grassy lawns, and even rough gravel terrain.
- Measuring 56 inches long by 31 inches wide by 80 inches tall.
- Features 20-inch pneumatic wheels that go perfectly on all terrains.
- Mesh windows for improved aeration.
- Spacious pet enclosure cabin to accommodate even larger pets.
- Large carrying capacity at 85 lbs.
#4 PetSafe Happy Ride Aluminum Dog Bike Trailer
- LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM: A light, durable aluminum constructed frame lets you easily go for bike rides with your best...
- A RIDE WITH A VIEW: Let your pet enjoy the view while looking out the back, front and side ventilated windows while give...
- SAFE AND SECURE: A safety tether inside the trailer attaches to your furry friend’s harness to keep them safe when...
When talking about the comfort of your pet on a bicycle trailer, the Petsafe Happy Ride Steel Bike Trailer should be one of your first options. It is very strong and even supports the weight of large breeds (up to 110 lbs.) while providing them with utmost safety.
This dog bike trailer from Petsafe is definitely a great pick for large dogs. You cannot just ignore the comfort that the cushion and the mesh screen will provide for your canine companion.
- Measuring 33 inches long by 22 inches wide by 26 inches tall.
- Can handle weight up to 110 lbs.
- Cushioned to provide your dog with maximum comfort.
- Features a mesh screen and a sunroof for improved aeration.
- Has an adjustable safety leash for your pet’s safety while riding.
- Constructed using durable material that will make it last longer.
#5 Sepnine Pet Dog Bike Trailer
- The large screen windows provide a comfortable ride and I can also look back and easily see them
- The large wheels make for a smooth ride and turning corners with ease
- Front door with wind and rain protection
This dog bike trailer from Sepnine is among the safest dog trailer for every escapade. It is spacious and easy for your pooch to get in and out.
This product comes equipped with large 20-inch wheels and is great for all sorts of terrains. It weighs merely 37 lbs and isn’t that tough to move around.
The Sepnine Pet Dog Bike Trailer has carved a niche for itself in the safety aspect of dog trailers. Its features, such as the leash, will secure your pet while in motion and ensure that it is safe.
- Measuring 32.3 inches long by 8.9 inches wide by 24.8 inches tall.
- The front door is equipped with rain and wind protection material.
- Has a safety leash to safely secure your pet.
- Large wheels for easy movement and easy maneuvering in cornered areas.
- Meshed sides to let in the air inside the dog bike trailer.
#6 Retrospec Rover Waggin’ Pet Bike Trailer
- WATER RESISTANT MATERIAL: Element and weather-resistant fabric with a 2-in-1 canopy and mesh shielding so your dog can...
- FOLDABLE FRAME: The unique folding frame makes the Rover Pet Trailer easy to store and bring along on your next...
- SAFETY FIRST: Includes internal leash and no-slip floor to keep your pup safe and secure. Hook up the trailer, clip them...
The Retrospec Rover Waggin’ Pet Bike Trailer is a bicycle carrier that you can use for your small cat or dog. It has two one-piece molded 16-inch wheels at the sides. In terms of storage, you are covered because it has a foldable frame.
Weighing at about 50 lbs, the physical dimensions of this trailer are 32 inches long by 8 inches wide by 20 inches tall in size.
The trailer is made of weather and dirt-resistant material. It has a mesh and canopy shielding that keeps your pet firmly in place. Traveling with your dog is easy, owing to the in-built leash. They are also safe because of the non-slip floor material in the trailer.
There is a pooch pouch on the carrier, which you can use to carry their snacks, toys, and other items that you need. The carrier can be secured with zippers, and there is also a doggy door at the rear for easy entry and exit. This pet bike trailer is compatible with most bike sizes.
When you need to travel with your pet, the bike trailer from Retrospec is a more convenient option than the carrier bags. It fits any bike size, and your per will be comfortable with the secure zipper, the non-slip floor material, and the weather-resistant carrier material.
- The side wheels are molded in a single piece of nylon, giving them extra durability and strength.
- The considerable size and weight give the trailer the much-needed sturdiness.
- Made of weather and dust resistant material.
- Has both canopy and meshed shielding.
- Has an in-built leash.
- Non-slip flooring.
- Pooch pouch for storage.
- A doggy door at the rear.
- Compatible with most bikes.
#7 Schwinn Rascal Bike Pet Trailer
- This a perfect and safer way to take your fuzzy friend with you for a bike ride
- Unique folding frame and quick release wheels pack up neatly for compact storage and transport. Frame Material Steel
- Coupler easily attaches to almost any bicycle for added versatility. Rim Material Aluminum, Air filled tires inflate...
The Schwinn Rascal Bike Pet Trailer is a pet carrier that can handle pets that weigh about 50 lbs. The 16-inch wheels are made of aluminum, and you can inflate the tires with a regular bicycle pump. It has an in-built adjustable leash to keep the pet from jumping out of the trailer. There is extra space on the trailer for other items of up to 12 lbs.
It is a stylish and easy-to-use pet trailer for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is easy to attach to your bike and take your furry friend wherever you go. It is foldable or collapsible, so you can pack it easily as you travel. It is very breathable and has an easy-to-use rear exit. There is also a safety flag to let other cyclists and drivers know you have your pet with you.
We love the extra space you get from this Schwinn trailer to carry your pet’s toys and snacks. The stylish design is also an added bonus. You can store it in small spaces because it’s foldable. The safety flag is also a win in my books.
- Spacious for pets up to 50 lbs, plus holding up to 12 lbs of additional cargo.
- 16-inch aluminum rims.
- Inflatable tires which you can inflate with a regular pump.
- Easy to attach to a bicycle.
- Foldable for easy storage.
- Easy to use rear exit.
- Equipped with a safety flag.
#8 Booyah Small Dog Bike Trailers
- Trailer weight: 20lbs. Although it may handle the weight of your pet, please make sure that your pet will fit inside the...
- NOTE: There are no stroller accessories for this model. No front tire or handlebar
- 3 layer sunroof. Closed/Mesh Screen/ Open
If you want to maximize storage space or if you have a small pooch, then this is the perfect trailer that will meet such needs. It comes in a small frame made out of durable material that ensures its longevity. This dog bike trailer can accommodate 40 lbs of weight at max.
Due to its small size, this dog bike trailer from Booyah consumes less space on storage in your house. It also can be hauled around easily as it is not that bulky.
- Measuring 24 inches long by 18 inches by 10 inches tall.
- Small hence takes little space in storage.
- Comes with reflectors both on the back and front.
- Features a three-layered sunroof.
- A mesh screen that allows fresh air into the dog bike trailer.
#9 Ibiyaya 2-In-1 Dog Bike Trailers
- SPACIOUS FRONT DOOR: Front door includes zippered mesh screen layer for good air circulation. And also a separate rain...
- PRACTICAL PET TRAILER: When you go to the park, the supermarket or other outdoor occasions, your beloved dog can stay in...
- EASY ENTRY& VENTILATION: Your pet can easily enter through the zippered front/back door, and he can stick his head out...
This is an awesome canine trailer that will allow you to either haul it from your bike or just push it while taking a stroll. It is very easy to set up and does not require much expertise. It is suitable for medium-sized to smaller dog breeds.
This 2-in-1 dog bike trailer can also double up as a stroller.
It is one of the most versatile trailers that you can get your hands on. It can be either pushed or towed depending on your preference and is also easy to set up. Its reliability is also seen in the quality of materials used to make it durable.
- When folded, it measures 31 inches long by 24 inches wide by 12 inches tall.
- Features a spacious interior for your dog.
- Inflatable wheels that are easily replaceable in case of damage.
- Wheels that are perfect for all sorts of terrains.
- Features reflector plates for visibility at night.
Dog Bike Trailers Buyer’s Guide
Having a bike trailer, it’s an excellent option for your evening bicycle ride with your canine companion.
This is an excellent addition to your household, especially if you have an aging pet pooch that is unable to walk far distances on its own.
Before making a purchase, there are several factors to be considered, such as the need for a bike trailer, the best type of trailer, etc. This buying guide will answer all your arising questions before you make that decision.
Do You Really Need A Bike Trailer?
This is the first question that you need to ask yourself before stepping out to get a trailer. The first prerequisite is that you need to own a bicycle, as the bike trailer is attached directly to your bicycle.
If yes, then the following factors are essential to consider before making a purchase:
Your Dog’s Temperament
Dogs have different temperaments, and it would be nice to check on yours to be sure if it can fit perfectly in an outside environment.
A mild-tempered canine will be calm on the outside and will seldom cause any disturbance. The contrary is true for a more active canine that can be hard to manage even in the presence of a handler. It may create a scene, and even with a bike trailer, it may be hard to handle it.
You also need to check on your schedule and ascertain that you can find ample time to use the doggie bike trailer by taking your pooch out.
If you are a very busy person with little time to spare, then purchasing a bike trailer might not be a priority for your pooch. However, if you have a lot of free time to hang with your furry friend, then a bicycle trailer can be a great option.
If you have a park or a relaxing area within your house, then having a bike trailer for your furry friend can be a nice addition.
This is because you need roads that are suitable for the dog bike trailer to be used. It is not recommended to bring your bicycle trailer on dirt paths as the wheels could be stuck.
Is Your Pooch Healthy?
Your dog’s health should be put into consideration before deciding on getting a trailer. You need to ensure that your pooch has all its vaccinations in check and will not pose any health threat to people and other dogs.
Also, you need to ensure that your dog is not affected by any weather conditions such as the cold.
Other Factors To Consider
Once you have decided to buy a dog bike trailer, you need to consider some factors so that you will choose the right product. This will prevent you from wasting money on a trailer that isn’t right nor fits your four-legged friend well. Here are some pointers to look out for:
Price is one of the critical factors that you should consider before purchasing a dog bike trailer. You should go for one that matches your financial means and prevents you from going overboard with your spending.
In our guide, we have listed down a few pricier and some economical options that will help you to make that purchasing decision better. It is also advisable to check out your local retailer to see if they have any ongoing discounts or promotions on the bike trailers.
Research to combine the different features and choose the one that best suits your budget. If you are on a tight budget, you can opt for used dog bike trailers, which are way cheaper than their new versions.
Size Of Your Dog
This is an important factor that you should not ignore.
Dog bike trailers generally come in a variety of sizes to meet the requirements of various breeds. There are trailers meant for small dogs, medium dogs, and even large dogs. A small pooch may fit into a large trailer, but it will not be that comfortable for it.
As such, make sure that the dog bike trailer is big enough to fit the size of your canine companion.
For smaller dogs, you can consider a dog bike basket instead.
Weight Of Dog
You also need to check on the weight of your pooch as the dog bike trailers come in weight classes. A mismatch will affect the dog bike trailer.
For example, if you have an 80-lb dog on a 65-lb limit trailer, the dog’s weight will lead to a broken trailer as a result of the strain exerted.
Accessories And Additional Features
Some trailers come equipped with additional features and accessories such as a leash or a cargo roof rack. Others may provide spare parts or repair kits. It is good to go for dog bike trailers with such additional features as they come in handy when you want to make repairs on your dog’s bike trailer.
The terrain in your area is also a huge factor in the type of trailer you will purchase. This factor mainly focuses on the type of wheels that the dog bike trailer should have. For a paved area, any types of wheel are suitable, and you have a vast range of trailers to choose from.
However, if you are in a region that has rough terrain, you will need to look for bike trailers with special wheels suitable for such terrains. You can go for the pneumatic or inflatable wheels, which will provide your dog with a comfortable ride even over a rough road.
You can also opt for trailers with suspensions if the road in your area is rough. These will help in providing a comfortable ride to your pooch. However, do bear in mind that these options will definitely be more expensive.
When not in use, the bike trailer should be kept away. For this reason, you need to consider the storage space available before making a purchase.
If you have little storage space in your house, you should opt for smaller options or go for the foldable ones that can be collapsed into smaller sizes for storing.
You need to examine the quality of the dog bike trailer in different aspects such as durability and resistance to forces such as impact and corrosion.
A durable bike trailer is the best as it will serve you and your pooch for ages with minimal chances of it wearing off. Most of the time, durable and strong trailers come at a hefty price tag which is worth it as you will spend relatively less on repairs.
Most dog owners really adore their pets and therefore want the best for their safety. For this reason, having a great trailer that will prove safe is the number one factor to consider. In this aspect, one will have to consider if the dog bike trailers meet the set safety standards.
A dog bike trailer with features and accessories such as a safety harness and shock absorbers for suspension on the rear wheel will be a plus. Safety from natural elements such as wind, sunlight, and rain is also considered, and trailers with a windscreen or a solar cover will top the preference list.
Related: Best Dog Sunglasses
Number Of Dogs
Once you own one dog, the urge to get another dog increases with each passing day, as you see how cute and friendly the pup is. If you have more dogs, then this factor needs to be a huge consideration before making the purchase.
There are special dog bike trailers meant for multiple dog sittings and accommodating up to four doggies at a time. This can be a good purchase if you want to take your whole puppy troop for a walk.
If you are a dog lover and like to bring your puppy out on a bike, the canine bicycle trailer should be on your shopping list as it is a great tool that will give you proper bonding time with your furry pal. Most are towed by bicycles when taking a stroll, while others may be pushed in the same manner as a baby stroller.
Rest assured that you will never go wrong with our top pick, as it features a spacious interior, removable floor, and an all-weather cover.
Get one today and have a great evening bike ride with your beloved pooch.