The best dog car seat is K&H Bucket Pet Booster Seat.
Dog car seats (also known as dog booster seats) provide you with safety and security while driving around with your canine companion.
These car seats are designed to keep your dog properly restrained during car rides, while giving it a good view of you and its surroundings. This helps to prevent your dog from engaging in distracting behaviors – such as physically jumping across the front seat and dangerously obstruct you while driving.
Do take note – these dog car seats are typically more suitable for smaller-sized dogs. For larger-sized dogs, a dog crate or a dog car harness might be the better option instead.
Here are 7 of the best dog car seats that come highly recommended from satisfied dog owners.
#1 K&H Bucket Pet Booster Seat
- DOG CAR SEAT WITH A VIEW: Booster pet car seat elevates pet(s) for a better view, while the firm foam bolster around the...
- SAFETY FIRST: Dog booster seat securely buckles in place with the seat belt hidden under the removable booster cushion...
- EASY PET TRAVELING: Doggy car seat is great for small dogs as it dips down in the front so your pet can easily climb in...
Shaped like a bucket, this product will soon turn into a favorite for your dog because it will feel safe and secure in it even during a bumpy ride. Available in various sizes, it is not the cheapest but it certainly is the best protection for your little friend.
The interior is lined with snug fleece and the seat has been designed to fit in the front or the back seat of the standard vehicle. What’s more? It comes attached with a leash which can be used as a seat belt for your dog and can be attached to the harness.
The snug fit along with the easy to get in and out feature will be appreciated by both you and your dog. The elevated view that the booster provides makes sure that the little one is not craning and, in the process, ending up injuring itself during a ride.
What tilts the scales in the favor of the K&H dog seat is the presence of dual safety leashes which provide the additional security small dogs need in a drive. These booster seats with the 3-inch foam cushion provide the required height to see outside the window during travel.
- Suitable for both front and back seat
- Machine washable
- Security leash included
- Easy to install and remove
#2 PetSafe Happy Ride Jumbo Booster Seat
- SAFE TRAVEL: Protect your pup with his own car seat; strap in and buckle up with the included Happy Ride Seat Belt...
- STRONG AND STURDY: Rigid plastic frame is easy to put together; pieces snap in place without tools; strong but...
- COMFORTABLE RIDE: Includes quilted liner and a pillow to cushion your pet; provides security and stability to relieve...
A good 9 inches above the vehicle seat, this jumbo dog booster seat will become your pet’s cherished car seat as it will no longer be hindered by its lack of height. The seat has a firm interior structure based on the T-Core technology making it super strong and yet surprisingly lightweight. It has been tested in a DOT-approved facility for sturdiness and durability.
An easy to assemble set, the Solvit Jumbo Booster Seat is well padded and comfortable. Even with the safety belts on, it remains so spacious that should your dog wish to lay down and relax, it can without feeling cramped.
This is our choice not only because it is affordable but comes with the safety features of all top brands. In fact, with all the features of a top brand, you can shave a good 20% of the cost when you invest in this model. It is quality and cost in one piece.
- Large and spacious
- Removable washable cover
- Manufactured by a renowned brand
- The tether has been tested up to 2000 lb
#3 Snoozer Lookout Car Seat
- CALMIER, HAPPIER DOGS. Dogs love looking out the car window, but many little dogs are too short to see out. Now your...
- SAFETY AND COMFORT. The Lookout elevated dog car booster seat hooks into the seat belt system to keep it in the...
- MADE TO LAST. Many happy Lookout owners have had their Lookouts for 5, 10, or more years! Made with firm foam, the...
Comfortably foamy interiors provide the perfect cushion and height for your pet when inside your car.
The Snoozer dog car seats are available in several colors. The nylon quilted external cover ensures that the booster seat stays neat for a reasonable amount of time. Luxurious to look at, this booster seat will certainly please the most demanding of dog owners.
Sherpa lined and nylon quilted the Snoozer lookout seat is ideal for medium-sized dogs. The seat is supposed to reduce the incidence of car sickness in your pet because of its stability and comfortable interiors.
- Large and spacious
- Inner sherpa lining
- Removable cover easy to wash
- Connection strap that hooks the booster seat to the seat belt
#4 Petsfit Booster Seat & Lookout Car Seat
- Sizing: With dimensions of 29.5" L x 15.7"W x 13.8"H, the car seat is suitable for a Medium (or Large) sized dog up to...
- Double-side liner: The pet car travel seat made of high quality oxford, used with a pad, which can be connected to the...
- Reduces distracted driving: The dog car seat booster design with safety belts to fix the seat to prevent it sliding in...
You can have all your pet needs in one place with this dog seat with pockets. It provides the height and is comfortable to use. It is also spacious enough for large dogs.
The liner is removable and washable; you can use it on either side. The leash ensures that the pet doesn’t get up from its seat.
However, some users have mentioned that the leash can be rather flimsy and tends to break. So this car seat might not be suitable for really strong dogs.
The Petsfit booster seat has two things going for it – its double-sided reversible cover and storage pockets for storing all the pet-related stuff. Large and spacious, you can be sure that your pooch adapt to it really soon.
- Storage pockets provided
- The cover is double sided
- Secured easily to the seat
#5 AmazonBasics Pet Bucket Booster Seat
- Bucket-style booster seat keeps pet in one place for distraction-free driving; fits in front or back seat of vehicle
- Elevated design raises pet up for a better view out the window, making car rides even more fun for Fido
- Quilted flannel plush top for cozy comfort; durable oxford fabric along the sides and bottom
Simple yet functional, this bucket-sized booster seat is meant for small dogs who like to be comfortable at all times. Designed to fit in both front and back seats, this booster seat will give the elevation required for your pooch to look outside.
The booster seat is also lined with durable oxford fabric on the sides and comes with an adjustable leash that makes it easy to pair with the car seat belt.
Almost $30 less than the top brand, the amazon basics dog seat is designed for easy entry and exit while providing ample side support and bottom cushioning. It is ideal for a small-sized dog.
- Flannel plush top
- Relatively simple to set up
- Easy to get in and out
- Adjustable leash
#6 Snoozer Luxury Lookout II Pet Car Seat
- Zipper removable microsuede cover
- Pull out drawer for convenient storage
- Connection strap included for the seat belt to join the harness
When you want your pet to enjoy some luxury this micro sued covered pet seat should come to mind. Plush cushioning pull out tray and micro sued washable cover are the highlights of the seat.
If you want to indulge your pet then go for this pricey seat. But do take note, it costs more than 2 times the price of our top pick. To be fair, the material, the construction, and the comfort of the seat are worth the price.
- Plush interiors
- Pull out tray for storage
- Removable cover
#7 Kurgo Skybox Booster Seat for Dogs
- Reduces Distracted Driving - Dog booster seat keeps your pup off your lap. Pet Car seat gives your pooch a window view...
- Easy to Install - Travel dog booster installs quickly & securely in either the front bucket seat or the smaller side of...
- Dog seat belt Included - Dog car seat belt tether is adjustable & easily attaches to any dog harness to keep your pup in...
The T-Core technology and the related firm structural body form the heart of the seat. The ultra-strong tether and the adjustable inner leash ensure your pet has a smooth ride every time you take it along with you. Your pet gets a full 9-inch elevation on this seat.
It comes in black and orange colors too.
When you want a large spacious car dog seat you must select one that is sturdy, durable, and tested for strength. The Kurgo Skybox is all this and more and priced reasonably too when compared with others with similar features.
- Waterproof exterior
- Easy to pair with car seat belts
- Strong tether
Why Do You Need A Dog Car Seat?
While on the road, it is crucial that you keep all distractions away including a sprightly pet. If you take your four-legged friend on long drives, a car seat for the dog becomes mandatory. It ensures the safety of the pet from sudden stops but also the safety of the driver.
Dogs tend to get anxious and restless while riding in cars and that adds to additional movement. But when comfortably straddled in a well-designed car seat, they feel secure and safe.
As a result, they are less likely to be agitated.
Finally, small dogs are always challenged by their height and unable to view the scene outside. But with car booster seats, they gain good height and can enjoy the scenery around as much as you. This would not be a problem for large dogs, but not until they have grown to their adult size.
How Do They Work?
The best dog car seats (or also known as dog booster seats) are specifically designed to keep your pet safe even if you are involved in an accident. They are subject to rigorous testing just like any other car seat. They usually are a bucket-shaped or rectangular shape with high walls and come with a safety harness that can attach them to the regular car seat.
The booster seats are spacious for the dog to sit comfortably without giving them any additional space for movement during a ride. However, more often than not, booster seats are usually applicable only to small dogs who have difficulty getting a view of the world beyond the car window.
Most dog car seats are not crashed tested, they will not provide adequate protection for your dog during a car accident. Pupsaver is one dog car seat that has been crash-tested – which has a rear-facing design that will catch your dog upon impact and act as a protective barrier to prevent contact with hard surfaces.
Related: Best Dog Car Barriers
- Bucket Shaped: Booster seats shaped like a bucket give an elevation to the dog for a vantage position. You can tether the dog to its seat and the dog harness can be attached to the car seat belt system.
- Bed shaped: These are not exactly booster seats. These are longer and more comfortable models suitable for long drives, usually at the expense of an elevated height. While these might not be the best choice for small dogs, we would recommend these for dogs with a nervous disposition.
It is not easy to choose a suitable car seat for your dog from a variety of products. It requires hours of research and pouring over product reviews and customer feedback. We have made the job easier for you by compiling all the necessary guidelines to make the right choice
- Size: A good car seat must be the right size. Consider the length and width of the car seat before buying. Check the weight of the car seat to ensure the safety of the pet. If you are buying for puppies or small dogs, you must buy a seat that the little fellow can grow into.
- Installation Features: There are different methods of attaching a dog car seat. Some models require a headrest to hang them; some use the car’s seat belt to secure and others will even use the console.
- Easy To Use: The seat must be easy to install and uninstall besides being easy to store too. Not only that it must be easy for your pet to get in and get out when unleashed. The leash must be adjustable.
- Protection Feature: The thickness of the padding plays a vital role in car seat selection. Ensure the seat has at least two inches of padding too for protection from crashes and bumps to your pet.
- Car Seat Cover: To maintain hygiene the car seat must be removable and washable. Even the material used for the cover must be non-allergenic to your pet. You must be able to wipe clean the material.
Related: Best Dog Car Ramps
Getting Your Dog Used To A Car Seat
The next step is to get your furry friend acclimatized to the dog car seat and using it optimally. It requires patience and a well-planned strategy.
You can start with short practice sessions in your house. Use food and treats to entice it to use the seat for short periods of time. Encourage the dog to get in and sit for some time first; next, follow it up with buckling it up – you might find resistance but always be patient.
Ensure every session ends on a positive note. Research has shown that positive reinforcement always works better.
Where Should You Place The Dog Car Seat?
Much as you like your dog to be by your side, you must prioritize safety first. It is suggested by several dog owners that the back seat is most suitable for dog car seats, especially behind the driver.
You can have an eye on your canine companion in the mirror and there is no risk of airbags suffocating your dog.
If you really want to keep your dog in the front seat, it is highly recommended to make sure that the seat is as far pushed as possible to prevent harm from airbags when inflated and disable the airbag function.
4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Put Your Dog In Your Car Front Seat
Like most dog owners, you probably see your pet as a part of your family, so it makes sense to pop it into the front seat sometimes, especially when you’re going for a quick drive.
In fact, you may have seen plenty of dog owners who travel with their pets in the front seat, even though it’s not a good idea to do so. If you’re wondering why it’s a bad idea to place your dog in the front seat when you’re driving, read on to find out more.
Accidents Can Happen
Unfortunately, accidents can happen to anyone and at any time. Often, an event that lasts for a few seconds, can have a lifelong effect on those affected. There are numerous cases of pets that die or suffer permanent injuries from car accidents that could’ve been avoided by observing proper safety protocol.
It may not seem like much to keep your pet in the front seat while driving, but this places your pooch at risk of getting fatally injured if a collision happens. In the worst-case scenario, your pet could experience whiplash or even hit the dashboard during the accident, causing death or extreme injury.
You Can Get Distracted
Most dogs feel excited at the prospect of getting into the car because it’s typically followed by a trip to the beach or the dog park. This level of excitement can be a distraction to the driver if your pet is placed on the front passenger seat.
In addition to barking or moving around, your dog might place its head onto your lap or want to hide under your seat because they feel spooked. Or you might feel so excited about having your cute pup next to you that you’ll start petting it and take your eyes off the road.
Back Seats Are More Comfortable
Sitting in the front seat means your pet will have to sit upright, whereas the back seat allows it to sprawl out and even take a nap. That’s why it’s much better and more comfortable to place your dog in the backseat when driving. You can make the trip even more comfortable for your pet by using a dog car crate or dog car harness.
The Airbags Can Do Serious Damage
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, kids under the age of 13 years aren’t allowed to ride in the front seat of the car. That’s because their height positions them in a way that makes the airbag a safety hazard in the unforeseen event of a collision or accident.
The American Veterinary Medical Association shares the same view with regards to keeping dogs and other pets in the car’s back seat instead of the front.
Safety Is Important!
After taking the various aspects in the construction and durability of a dog car seat into consideration our top pick is K & H dog car booster seat.
Satisfied owners and several reviews echo this claim because the seats are of the right size and comfortable – your dog can sit or even lie down for a nap. They are sturdy and can be attached perfectly either in the front or the back seat. The inclusion of the additional leash is an added advantage as it gives extra protection to the pet. The washable seat cover also ensures the seat and the car are always smelling clean.
If you find this review useful then do share the information with other dog owners.