The best dog car crates & carrier is Sleepypod Mobile Pet Bed.
Whether you’re traveling to the vet with your Fido or using a dog crate to help it feel more comfortable in a car, it is important to take vehicular safety seriously to keep you and your dog safe. This isn’t just about the method of travel — it’s about the dog’s overall health and safety.
The good news is that with a portable, dog crate and carrier, you can keep your dog safe and comfortable inside your car while traveling.
In fact, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) states that driving with an unrestrained pet in the vehicle is a serious safety risk for your dog and everyone else on the road.
We’ll go through the benefits of dog car crates, explain the features that you need to look for when picking one, and share a few of our favorites below!
#1 Sleepypod Mobile Pet Bed
- Mobile pet bed, carrier, and car seat lets you travel anywhere with your pet
- Made from luggage-grade nylon outside and ultra-plush polyester inside
- Contoured to fit pets up to 15 pounds
Our top pick product is the Sleepypod Mobile Pet Bed. This travel crate is quite versatile and can be used in different ways. For instance, you can use it as a car seat for your pet or fasten it to your car’s seat using its straps.
The travel crate has been tested by the Pet Passenger Restraint System and approved for meeting the required safety standards. You can be assured of the safety of your pet in case of a crash or sudden emergency car braking.
This mobile crate acts as a comfortable bed for your dog too. The inside of the carrier is made of ultra-soft polyester with a foam cushion that feels comfortable to the dog. The travel crate also acts as a portable carrier for the dog. It has padded straps and holders that can be used to carry the dog over the shoulders or by hand.
This is an ideal and luxurious crate for small dogs. You will not have to worry about how comfortable your small dog feels inside the travel crate during car travel. The carrier is perfect to use in the car or airplane. It is easy to use. Just unzip the top cover to retrieve the dog. It is a great choice for owners of small dogs.
- Washable beddings.
- Meshed for maximum air supply.
- Padded straps for comfortable carrying.
- Enough room for the dog to sleep in.
#2 EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
- Size: 30" long x 21" wide x 24" high; 2" wider and 4" higher than most other brand 30" soft crates, so the EliteField...
- The crate frame is made of strong steel tube; the crate cover is made of high quality durable 600D fabric and hex mesh...
- Three mesh doors (on the top, front, and side) for convenience and for sunlight and breathability; two accessory pockets...
This classy dog carrier is strong, light, well ventilated, and stylish enough to carry your dog in. It is made of strong durable steel tubes. The outer cover is made of a durable and high-quality 600D material. The material is sturdy enough to withstand your dog’s chewing.
It has three meshed doors, one on the side, on the front, and on top. It has two pockets on the side and on top which you can use to carry accessories.
The EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate has a handle and padded carrying straps for easy and comfortable portability. It has removable and washable beddings made of high-quality absorbent material. Your dog will find this bed quite comfortable. This is a budget dog crate that can be used in the car. It can also act as a nest for your dog when you are far from home.
This cost-friendly dog carrier is a must-have for every family that loves taking road trips with their dog. You will find it very convenient when your dog has no place to sleep on. It is made of high-quality durable materials and can carry both small and medium-sized dogs.
- Easy to set up.
- Can act as a bed for the dog.
#3 Lucky Duck Dog Car Kennel
- Lucky Duck Kennels are proudly made in the USA, and are built for years of use. 5 Star Crash Test Rated from the Center...
- One-piece roto molded kennel is durable yet lightweight (38lbs.), and includes heavy duty lift handles, powder-coated...
- Well ventilated with ventilation holds to keep your dog cool on hot days, and pitched floor is elevated to run water...
This is one of the strongest dog carriers in the market today. Made of a hard plastic material this crate is useful when you want to ensure that your dog doesn’t escape while in transit.
It’s user-friendly and can be used both indoors and outdoors to keep your dog safe. This crash-tested dog crate is big enough and can accommodate even big dogs. You are assured of the safety of your dog while using this carrier. It is exceptionally friendly for car travel and comes with safety belts that can be fastened to a car seat.
If you value the safety of your dog this kennel is all you need. It ensures that your dog doesn’t escape and its interior is quite comfortable for the dog. It comes with top handlebars for better portability.
- Crash tested by the Center for Pet Safety (CPS).
- Roto molded kennel.
- Lightweight and extremely durable.
- Well ventilated with drain holes.
#4 Noz2Noz Soft-Krater Indoor & Outdoor Crate
- Durable, Well-Ventilated Pet Crate For Indoor Or Outdoor Use
- Made With New Heavy-Duty Tight-Weave Mesh Fabric
- For pets up to 70 pounds
Made for dogs with a weight of up to 90 lbs, this dog car crate & carrier is designed with a sturdy material that doesn’t wear out easily. The frame is made of strong steel with weave mesh windows. The window ensures there is enough air circulating inside while allowing the dog to enjoy the views outside.
It comes with a water-resistant bed for your dog. The travel crate has holding straps that make it easy to carry the dog. It guarantees the safety and comfort of the dog while on transit.
This is a perfect crate for anyone searching for a comfortable carrier to transport the dog at a good price. Whether you are on a road trip or going to the vet, the Noz2Noz Soft-Krater is the best to carry your dog in.
- Made with heavy-duty tight-weave mesh fabric.
- Waterproof bedding.
- Easy to carry.
- Can be installed effortlessly.
#5 Petmate Two Door Pet Kennel
- MULTIPLE DOORS OFFER EASY ACCESS: Easy load options make it easy and less stressful for travel or house-training....
- AIR TRAVEL APPROVED CARRIER: This small dog crate or cat carrier meets most airline cargo specifications. We provide...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE, EASY TO CLEAN: No tools required for assembly. A strong wingnut bolt assembly, a sturdy, foldable...
The Petmate kennel offers an effective solution for pet parents looking for a means to safely and comfortably transport their furry friends up to 15 lbs.
The kennel features multiple air vents at the sides to ensure proper ventilation. And in addition, the Petmate kennel’s top-loading door makes it easier for pet parents to both remove and place their furry friends into the kennel and to easily observe what is going on with their pets.
Pet parents aren’t left out of the mix when it comes to comfort, and the ergonomic handle design coupled with easy-squeeze door latches make it easy to transport the Petmate kennel. Additionally, the steel door, which is reinforced with durable plastic material, is quite sturdy and effective at keeping pets in the kennel.
A sturdy, durable build that doesn’t come apart easily makes this Petmate kennel worth spending the cash on. We also highly regard the top-loading design of the kennel as an innovative design, granting pet parents easy access to their furry friends and providing a convenient means of monitoring happenings within the kennel.
- Uses a dual door design.
- Ergonomic handle with an easy-squeeze latch.
- Grated steel doors.
- Top-loading door design.
- Multiple air vents.
- Available in four colors, namely, Blue, Pink, Tan, and White.
#6 2PET Foldable Dog Crate
- ALL-IN-ONE FOLDABLE DOG CRATE – If you’re looking to buy a foldable dog crate that combines all the functionality...
- STRONG STEEL TUBE DESIGN – Unlike many other flimsy & makeshift dog crates out there, Fold-A-Crate uses a strong yet...
- WASHABLE SOFT FABRIC COVER – The steel frame is covered with a water resistant, soft Oxford 600D fabric cover (a nylon...
The 2PET Foldable Dog Crate is a lightweight dog carrier that is made of a strong steel tube and a 600D material. The fabric material is washable and can be removed and fixed easily.
It has a meshed window which gives enough ventilation to the dog. It is a soft crate that can be used indoors while traveling, training the dog, or when taking a sick dog to the veterinary. It is an affordable dog crate that still provides lavish comfort to your dog. It comes with a strap for shoulder carrying and a handle for easier portability.
The 2PET Foldable Dog Crate will come in handy when you need to travel with your dog in a car. It is affordable and will give you value for your money because of its multifunctional design.
- Strong and durable.
- Easy to assemble.
- Comes in various sizes and colors.
#7 Petsfit Travel Pet Crate & Carrier
- Petsfit dog travel crate is good for pets up to 23''H, suitable for large-size dogs, providing more room for them to...
- This travel dog crate is odorless and safe to protect your pet's health. TWO doors and top entrance can be rolled up,...
- PATENTED screw-in frame design in order to hold the mesh in place, setting up in seconds without tools.
Made from an odorless material, this dog car carrier will ensure that your dog stays healthy. It’s made of three meshed doors, a frame made of lightweight steel, and a top holder. It has an extension that can be unzipped to give plenty of room for the dog to sleep on.
This dog car crate is strong enough to accommodate a heavy dog. Just like the name suggests, it can be safely used on an airplane or inside a car. The travel dog carrier comes with a water holder that can also hold a food tray.
The Petsfit Travel Pet is suitable for those long train and car rides. You will not need to worry about the comfort of your dog when you have one of these. This is one of the most comfortable dog carriers on the market today.
- Sturdy and lightweight design.
- An extension that provides more room for the dog to wiggle in.
- Has a washable mat and storage pockets.
#8 A4Pet 27″ Pet Car Crate
- Soft-Sided Dog Travel Crate: Dog crates for medium dogs can be used in a car when traveling and for indoor/outdoor use,...
- Dog Car Carrier: This soft collapsible dog travel crate for car is light and easy to set up, just buckle it in your car...
- Quality-Made: The pop up dog crate is made with a strong durable fabric. The exterior uses double-stitched Oxford Fabric...
A4Pet 27″ Pet Car is an ideal car dog carrier for medium-sized breeds. It’s made with a strong material that doesn’t tear easily. The A4Pet carrier has two belts that can safely be strapped to the car seat. It is secure and will keep the dog safe. It has a strong zipper that your dog cannot chew on.
The travel crate has entrances on the right and left sides. The sides of the pet crate are meshed to give the dog enough air circulation. Your pup can also enjoy outside views as you travel.
When looking for a soft dog crate for traveling with your dog look no further than the A4Pet 27″ Pet Car. It’s a safe, convenient, and CPS-approved dog carrier.
- Strong and durable design and materials.
- Auto lock zippers.
- Safety straps that act as seat belts.
- Waterproof bedding.
#9 Amazon Basics Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel
- Two-door, top-load model allows for easy loading of your cat or dog
- Top door can open to the left or right for easy access and convenience
- Included screws can be used to further secure the top and bottom of kennel for added reinforcement
Hailing from Amazon Basics, this is a plastic kennel with a steel door and ventilation on the sides and at the top. It is secured with screws at the top and bottom to ensure that the dog cannot open the door and escape.
The two doors at the front and back give you quick access when loading. It has a top handle for easy portability. The plastic material is durable and weather-friendly. This is a nice carrier for transporting an untamed dog. It’s easy to clean too.
If you are looking for a two-door pet kennel to transport an untamed dog, the Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel from Amazon Basics is your best choice. It has a weatherproof design and is well ventilated to keep your dog comfortable.
- Durable dog carrier.
- Well ventilated.
- Front and back doors.
#10 SPORT PET Kennel
- Creates a cozy Cove for right in the back seat of your car or truck
- Durable Gate entry on each side plus mesh panel sides keep your pet in view
- Includes an adjustable security leash for clipping to a harness
The SPORT PET Kennel is a nice and cozy enclosed space for your pets. Its physical dimensions measure 45.25 inches long by 17.25 inches wide by 18.75 inches tall, weigh 8.25 lbs, and can fit almost any type of caged pet.
It features soft sides with mesh panels to keep your pets comfortable. There are headrest straps and seatbelt loops for securing in position while traveling by car, thereby making transportation by vehicle fairly easy.
You can safely place it in your home, back seat of your car, or in the trunk. It comes with easy-to-use front, and rear exits made of sturdy, tough materials. There is also an adjustable leash that can be attached to a harness for extra safety.
Once you are done with your pet kennel, you can fold it down flat for storage. Keep in mind that this kennel is perfect only for crate-trained pets.
Unlike a conventional crate, this kennel from SPORT PET has soft sides to keep your pet safe. It also has mesh side panels and easy-to-use doors for your pet’s use. We also like the adjustable leash and straps to secure the kennel in a car. Lastly, it can be stored in tight spaces once you fold it after use.
- Cozy and enclosed.
- Features a foldable design for easy storage and a drawstring case for portability.
- Functions well as a lightweight large car crate weighing only 8.25 lbs.
- Comes with headset straps and seatbelt loops for securing in position while traveling in a car.
- Features front and rear exits and mesh panel sides.
- Perfect for crate-trained pets.
Dog Crate For Car Travel Buyer’s Guide
What are dog crates or carriers and why do you need one? Some dogs are easily excitable and quite unpredictable. They can even jump out of a moving car at the sight of a squirrel on the roadside. You need a comfortable and secure dog travel crate to hold the dog when traveling with it in your car.
Dog crates are secure, portable, and comfortable soft-sided crates or carriers that help to keep your dog safe and comfortable when traveling. The soft-sided crates are easy to set up and dismantle after use. They are made from a strong durable metal frame with fabric or mesh linings. The dog crate makes it extremely easy to carry along your dog while ensuring that the dog enjoys fresh air inside the travel crate.
Why do you need a dog crate? Many dogs today are already crate trained and will comfortably sit inside the travel crate while traveling. The soft-sided crates are comfortable for the dog and provide an easy and convenient, manageable way to handle your dog in the car. A travel crate is a perfect option for a family that never leaves the dog behind when going out for picnics or vacations.
Related: Best Airline Approved Dog Crates
Benefits Of A Dog Crate Or Carrier For Car Travel
Here are some of the advantages and benefits of purchasing a car crate or carrier for your dog.
- The travel crate provides a secure and comfortable way to travel with your dog. Most dogs enjoy lounging inside the soft-sided comfortable crate. It is also designed to provide plenty of air for the dog.
- Less stress for you. When you invest in a good travel carrier or dog crate, you eliminate all the worries you would otherwise have about the comfort and safety of your pooch. You can concentrate on driving without stressing about your dog.
- Great experience for dogs. The comfortable crates have soft sides and come with mesh or fabric lining. The design allows your dog to enjoy the scenic views you drive past in a secure and comfortable containment crate.
- A solution for dog potty accidents while traveling. There are those times when your dog cannot hold it until you get to your next stop. Dogs have small bladders and may not hold pee for a long time. A dog crate is easy to clean if the dog has a potty accident before you get to the next stop.
Related: Best Dog Car Harnesses
Safety is an important factor in any crate or carrier used to carry your dog when traveling. There are numerous dog crate products in the market which makes it difficult to claim with a degree of certainty that all dog carriers and creates are 100% safe for your dog.
Fortunately, you can always check for certification from the Center for Pet Safety (CPS) on the travel crate to ensure that it has been tested for safety before you buy the product. When you don’t trust the manufacturer, you can always check for a safety mark from CPS. This is a non-profit organization that provides independent safety testing for harnesses, crates, carriers, and other pet products.
A 2015 crate study test by the CPS found that many dog crates cannot protect your dog in a collision. The CPS study even discovered that some dog crates that are being marketed as crash-tested have doors that easily fly off, cages that instantly cave in, and straps that snap easily on impact.
Fortunately, there are reputable brands that manufacture strong, safe, and secure dog crates for car travel. These are products that you can count on to provide real protection for the dog and other human passengers inside the car in case of an accident.
Related: Best Dog Car Seat Belts
Factors To Consider When Looking For The Best Dog Crate And Carrier For Cars
How do you find the perfect crate for your dog when you want to bring the dog along on your vacation or outing?
Here are a few important things to look for in the right travel crate for your dog.
Size Does Matter
The first and most important thing to consider in a dog carrier is size. Your choice will depend on the breed and size of the dog you own. You need a crate or carrier that has enough room for the dog to turn around and stand up without scrapping on the sides. If your dog is still a puppy, go for a larger model that will continue serving you as the dog grows bigger.
Heavy-Duty Construction Materials
The carrier has to be durable and strong. It should preferably be made from a good mixture of heavy-duty metal and plastic materials. Look for crates made of lightweight and durable frame materials such as steel or aluminum which are light enough to carry around easily.
The materials used should also be strong enough to withstand wear and tear. If your dog likes to chew, then get a carrier that’s specially designed with strong and durable fabric or mesh. Get a product made with heavy-duty soft-sided materials such as luggage-grade nylon.
Comfort And Bedding
Your dog’s comfort is an important factor to consider when buying a traveling crate or carrier. The whole purpose of carrying the dog along is to make it enjoy the trip not to punish the poor animal in an uncomfortable containment crate.
Make sure the travel crate has soft-sided materials and more importantly ensure that the travel crate has a soft bed pad or mattress. If the travel crate doesn’t come with the mattress or bedding then make plans to buy one separately.
Also, make sure your pet will always rest on soft bedding every time it’s inside the travel crate.
The strength and durability will also depend on the type of strapping it comes with. Look for travel carriers with strong and durable straps. If you want a smaller crate, make sure it has straps that allow you to attach it to the car’s seatbelts. Larger models should allow you to strap or tie them down securely inside the car.
5-Star CPS Certification
There are hardly any regulations on the pet safety market when it comes to dog crates and carriers, which leaves you at the mercy of the manufacturer’s claims. Your best option is to look for a dog crate that has passed crash tests. The results are in most cases publicly available or indicated on the product. The best models are those that have a 5-star CPS certification for crash tests.
The Question Of Cost And Quality
Cost is important too but does avoid going for the cheapest model you can find at the expense of your dog’s comfort or the travel crate’s durability. Look for a model that falls within your budget but that is not made of cheap insecure and uncomfortable materials. Most of the products we have reviewed in this dog crate and carriers for cars review article are high-quality products with affordable price tags.
Related: Best Dog Car Barriers
It’s important to ensure that your dog is not only comfortable but also safe while traveling. If you want your dog to be safe from injuries or even death in the unfortunate event of a car accident, then get a good securely built dog crate or carrier.
Your loving pooch should always travel in a high-quality crash-tested traveling kennel. There are many dog crate products out there which makes it hard to find the right one for your dog.
Of the 10 dog crates and carriers discussed above, we believe in our top pick, as it comes with all the top features and functions you will need for a safe and secure dog carrier.