The best dog food for great danes is Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food.
A Great Dane is an amazing dog breed. These large dogs are famously called the “gentle giants.” They are also said to be the Apollo of Dogs, after the Greek God Apollo, which is said to be the brightest fixture in the sky.
The dog’s affectionate and noble characteristics make it a favorite among pet lovers.
If you own a Great Dane, it’s essential that you know the proper way of feeding the dog and the best dog food to feed them.
Remember that different breeds of dogs have different nutritional needs. When choosing the best dog food for Great Danes, choose something that can provide your dog’s dietary needs, so your Great Dane stays active, healthy, and full of energy.
Here’s a list of some of the best dog food for Great Danes.
#1 Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
- DIGESTIVE HEALTH: Optimal levels of protein plus prebiotics and probiotics, digestive enzymes, and dietary fiber in this...
- HEALTHY HIPS AND JOINTS: Calcium, phosphorus, glucosamine and chondroitin maintain bone strength and joint health
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
If you want to give your Great Dane the proper nutrition that it needs, then the Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food is what we would recommend. We consider this product our top choice simply because we believe that it’s the perfect dog food for Great Danes.
This dog food is specially formulated for those large breeds of dogs weighing 50 pounds or more. Its grain-free recipe includes some levels of phosphorous and calcium, which leads to stronger bones. It also contains chondroitin sulfate that makes the joints and hips healthy and strong, as well as prebiotics and natural fiber that aid in proper digestion.
Your Great Dane will surely love the nutritious and delicious taste of the Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food. Its ingredients include natural fruits and vegetables such as cranberries, pumpkin, blueberries, and pomegranate. These ingredients provide the essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs while also supporting your dog’s immunity.
We love that this dog food features a grain-free recipe that contains phosphorus and calcium for bone strength. It also contains chondroitin and glucosamine that makes the joints and hips healthy and strong.
- Comes in a 30-lb bag of dry dog food, which is ideal for medium and large dog breeds like Great Danes.
- Made in the USA with natural ingredients, which means your Great Dane will eat dog food free of fillers, wheat, gluten, preservatives, or artificial flavors.
- Protects your Great Dane’s digestive tract as it contains dietary fiber, probiotics, and prebiotics, all of which help with bowel movement and gut health.
- Contains phosphorus, calcium, and chondroitin, which will help strengthen your Great Dane’s bones and joints.
- Your Great Dane’s heart and immunity will be protected thanks to the antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and taurine.
- Many customers complained of receiving crushed dog food bags, which will not fully satisfy a dog’s appetite.
- The kibble, when soaked in water, swells up, and this is considered an indication of poor quality dog food.
#2 Nutro Ultra Dry Dog Food
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. bag of NUTRO ULTRA Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food with a Trio of Proteins From Chicken, Lamb and...
- Features trio of protein from chicken, lamb, and salmon—chicken is the ingredient—specially formulated for large...
- Our premium dog food kibble is made with high-quality ingredients and provides complete and balanced nutrition for large...
For the budget-conscious, we would recommend the Nutro Ultra Holistic Superfood Blend, which contains the right combination of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, healthy oils, and whole grains. Indeed, this dog food has everything that your pet needs to be at its best.
The protein sources of this food come from holistic high-quality and natural ingredients that ensure an optimal level of amino acids. This dog food is designed specifically for ultra-large breeds, such as the Great Dane. It contains glucosamine and chondroitin that help promote healthy joints, keeping your furry friend vibrant and active.
This dog food doesn’t contain any artificial ingredients, such as additives, flavoring, or preservatives. It’s made from high-quality natural ingredients that are safe for your Great Dane to consume.
- Contains high-quality protein and a unique blend of 15 superfoods that include chia, blueberries, coconut, and kale, which are ideal for your Great Dane’s overall health.
- Comes in a 30-lb bag that contains kibble made of chicken, lamb, and salmon, which is a filling protein meal for large dogs like Great Danes.
- The ingredients in this dog food have been sourced from local suppliers and farmers, and this promotes local businesses.
- Great Danes with sensitive digestive tracts can enjoy this meal as it does not contain gluten, wheat, soy, meat by-products, or artificial preservatives.
- The product’s ingredients include the necessary nutrients to protect your Great Dane’s joints, coat, and skin.
- Some Great Danes have experienced vomiting, eating grass, and a running stomach, and this could be caused by sensitivity to some of the ingredients found in this product.
- Some doggies may not like the taste or smell, and this is merely a preference issue.
#3 Hill’s Science Diet Adult Large Breed
- Adult dry dog food is specially formulated to fuel the energy needs of large breed dogs
- Supports your grown dog's joint health with natural sources of glucosamine & chondroitin
- Maintain your dog's healthy skin and shiny coat with nourishing omega-6 fatty acids & vitamin E
The Hill’s Science Diet’s Large Breed Dry Dog Food is another dog food that we would recommend for Great Danes except if your beloved pooch is allergic to corn and wheat. Both grains are included in this recipe.
However, if your Great Dane is not allergic to these grains, then you should give this product a try. This food is made specifically for large dog breeds. And although it contains the lowest amount of crude protein, this is something that shouldn’t alarm you because it’s still within the ideal protein recommendation for these breeds of dogs.
In addition, this dog food contains the right amount of amino acids, and therefore, your Great Dane is sure to receive the most essential building blocks needed for your dog’s optimal development.
The Hill’s Science Diet’s Large Breed Dry Dog Food is made of chondroitin and glucosamine, two of the most essential ingredients of dog foods. These ingredients keep your pet’s joints healthy and strong. It’s also loaded with essential vitamins and minerals to maintain your dog’s optimal health.
- Comes in a slightly larger dog food bag of 33 lbs and is available in natural chicken and lamb flavors to suit your Great Dane’s taste buds.
- Purchasing a bag of Hill’s Science dog food helps the Hill’s Food, Shelter & Love program, which has helped over 11 million shelter pets find new homes since 2002.
- Helps with your Great Dane’s muscles as it offers lean muscle support thanks to the high-quality protein in the food.
- Vitamin E and omega-6 fats contained in the dog food will both help your Great Dane to have a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- Your Great Dane’s joints and muscles are taken care of thanks to the glucosamine and chondroitin in the food.
- Some doggies drink more water than usual after eating this dog food, and this may be due to the dryness of the kibble.
- Some Great Danes have experienced vomiting and diarrhea after consuming the food, and this is likely caused by allergies or sensitive digestive tracts.
#4 Purina Beyond Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 13 lb. Bag - Purina Beyond Natural Dry Dog Food, Simply Farm Raised Beef, Barley & Cage Free Egg Recipe
- High protein dry dog food with real farm-raised beef as the number 1 ingredient with cage-free egg, and natural...
- Simple ingredient dog food formula with no corn, wheat, soy, poultry by-product meal or artificial colors, flavors or...
The Purina Beyond Grain-free Adult Dog Food is another grain-free dog food that we would recommend for your pooch. It provides complete nutrition so there’s no longer a need to add supplements. This protein-free recipe includes eggs, which are a highly digestible source of protein and nutrients.
Each of the natural ingredients used for this dog food is thoughtfully selected to provide a healthy balanced diet to keep your pooch healthy. It doesn’t contain any artificial grains and additives. The product’s number one ingredient is the Real North American beef, which is a natural and grain-free food ideal for dogs.
One of the great things about this dog food is that it doesn’t contain any poultry by-product meals. Furthermore, it has no artificial flavoring, colors, or preservatives. It’s made only from pure natural ingredients so you’ll feel confident feeding your pup with this food.
- Available in a 13-lb bag that contains farm-raised beef and cage-free egg flavors, which are ideal for large dog breeds like Great Danes.
- Contains minerals, vitamins, and nutrients like natural probiotics, which help with your Great Dane’s digestive health and overall body health.
- Perfect for Great Danes with allergies as it is made gluten-free and wheat-free and is also free of soy and artificial flavors.
- Contains naturally-occurring collagen and added proteins, which help with your Great Dane’s immunity.
- Made in the USA and this product looks out for the environment as it is made with renewable energy and puts out reduced waste.
- Some Great Danes do not like the taste of the dog food, and this could just be a preference issue.
- Some doggies has experienced diarrhea, and this is a result of having a sensitive stomach.
#5 Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Large Breed Formula
- One (1) 31.1 lb. Bag - Purina ONE Natural Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, +Plus Formula
- This large breed dry dog food made with real chicken as the first ingredient supports strong muscles, including a...
- A SmartBlend of high-quality ingredients in this large dog food formula supports the health of large breed dogs
Feed your pup with this Purina One SmartBlend Natural dog food, which contains a perfect blend of nutrients ideal for your pooch. This dog kibble features a unique combination of tender and protein-rich meat morsels including real chicken meat. These ingredients are easily digestible for your pup’s delicate tummy.
This dog food from Purina is formulated specially for a large breed of puppies, which is why it’s perfect for your Great Dane. It’s the best dog food to help maintain your pooch’s ideal body and support his joints. Containing natural glucosamine, the Purina SmartBlend Natural Large Breed formula will keep your Great Dane healthy and strong.
We like this dog food simply because it’s made of easily digestible nutrients including rice, which is ideal for the delicate tummy of your Great Dane.
- Comes in a 31.1-lb bag of specially formulated dog food, which is ideal for large doggie breeds like Great Danes.
- Contains real chicken flavor and added proteins, which help with your Great Dane’s muscles and heart health.
- This dog food contains omega-6, minerals, and vitamins, which provide healthier skin and coat.
- Your Great Dane will enjoy a stronger immune system thanks to the four antioxidant sources in this dog food.
- Made of dry kibble and soft meat pieces, which are great tasting and are free of artificial flavors, meat fillers, or preservatives.
- Some pups have experienced stomach upsets and will vomit full chunks of the food after hours of eating, and this could be due to having a sensitive digestive tract.
- Some Great Danes do not like the taste or smell of dog food.
#6 Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Dry Dog Food
- PACKED WITH REAL BEEF: A recipe inspired by the Rocky Mountains, this high protein dog food features a blend of red meat...
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness large breed dog food is made with the ingredients to help support your breed’s...
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic...
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Dog Food is another dog food that deserves to be on this list. This high-protein and grain-free dry dog food is made specifically for larger breeds of pups in your house and can perfectly complement your pooch’s healthy appetite. It contains chondroitin and glucosamine, which are essential in keeping the joints of your Great Dane healthy and strong.
This dry dog food features Blue’s exclusive LifeSource Bits formula, which is a perfect combination of vitamins and minerals, along with natural antioxidants, that have been selected carefully by animal nutritionists and veterinarians.
This high-protein dry dog food contains red meat that can help to satisfy your Great Dane’s high level of energy while helping adult dogs to maintain and build lean muscles.
- Available in a 22-lb bag of dog food containing red meat and Lifesource Bits, which is suitable for large doggies like Great Danes.
- The dog food formula contains real meat blends and added proteins, which help to support lean muscle.
- This dog food is rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, which help to support Great Danes at all life stages and helps support their immune system.
- Your pup’s joint health is taken care of by the glucosamine and chondroitin in the dog food.
- It contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which help with heart health and helps give your Great Dane healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Some pups experience multiple bowel movements more than usual, and this could be due to a sensitive stomach.
- Some Great Danes experienced vomiting and looked lethargic, and this may be a result of an allergic reaction to some of the ingredients.
Dog Food For Great Danes Buyer’s Guide
The Great Dane certainly holds a significant stature in the dog world. Although this giant dog might look scary, in reality, they are among the gentlest dog breeds. These dogs are very affectionate, sweet, and a true man’s best friend. They are fond of playing around and are very gentle with the kids.
If you have a Great Dane, then it’s absolutely vital that you know how to choose the right dog food for your pooch. You cannot just feed it with any dog food out there. It should be something that’s specially formulated for Great Danes. So read on to find out how to choose the right dog food for your beloved pet.
Be sure to avoid these potentially toxic foods for your Great Dane.
Nutritional Needs of Great Danes
First of all, you need to understand the dietary needs of your Great Dane. While the Great Danes may have almost similar nutritional needs with other dog breeds, these dogs require a significantly large amount of food for every serving given their massive body size. They usually need oversized canine accessories, such as large dog crates or large dog beds.
On the other hand, while the other breeds would prefer to follow a high-protein diet, the Great Dane has some specific nutrient requirements that you must address.
So take note of the following:
Moderate To Low Amount Of Protein
Great Danes must only receive a moderate to low amount of protein. Generally, it shouldn’t be more than 24% of its overall diet.
Since protein is used mainly for building tissues most especially the muscles, feeding your Great Dane with more proteins could lead to weight issues. This is not due to fat or excess amount of carbs, but mainly because of the significant muscle mass. Remember that too much weight could strain your Great Dane and affect the development of its joints and bones.
Excessive muscle mass is also said to be the most common cause of hip dysplasia among Great Danes. It is for this reason that animal nutritionists always advise pet owners to go slow on proteins.
Great Danes should have about 12% to 20% of fat on their diet. But there are others that think that it shouldn’t be more than 14%.
Moderate Amount Of Calories
Great Danes should consume a moderate amount of calories. Originally, these giant dogs were used for hunting wild boars. But it’s important to understand that Great Danes don’t really require a high level of energy.
They prefer to simply lie all day long on their bed, which is why they are also a great choice for apartment dwellers. Thus, you have to feed your Great Dane with a moderate amount of calories because too much of it could make them suffer from diabetes and hyperglycemia. If your Great Dane is overweight, do consider these dog food that is specially formulated for weight loss.
There’s also an option of getting an automated dog feeder & dispenser so that you are able to regulate the feeding of your Great Dane even more.
Issues To Be Aware Of
While Great Danes might be considered the “giants” in the dog world, they are also prone to some health issues.
Here are some of the main ones:
This condition happens when the muscles of your pooch’s heart grow relatively thinner. This could lead to insufficient pumping of the heart that would eventually lead to oxygenation problems in the various parts of the body.
This is usually a result of frequent bloating. This issue requires a veterinary emergency because there’s a tendency that the stomach could twist onto itself and will potentially cut-off blood circulation. There are no medications prescribed for gastric torsion. However, surgery may be the best option to cure your Great Dane of this condition. But this issue must not be taken lightly since it is said to be the number one killer of Great Danes.
This condition will happen if your pup grows at a faster rate. This is why you should moderately feed your Great Dane. Otherwise, it could suffer from hip dysplasia, which causes unnecessary strain on its hip joints.
There are certain supplements such as fish oil and multivitamins that can be beneficial to your Great Dane’s health.
This happens when the bones of your puppy grow unusually fast and could lead to a painful bone as a result of the pressure that the surrounding tissues exert. To avoid this condition, the dog must be given only a moderate amount of proteins.
Aside from the conditions above, Great Danes are also at high risk of developing Wobbler syndrome, arthritis, hypothyroidism, and elbow dysplasia.
One of the most common mistakes that pet owners make is to overfeed their beloved dogs believing that giant dogs like the Great Danes need to be fed regularly. Unfortunately, this can only jeopardize the health of your Great Dane. Overfeeding can lead to a wide range of health issues, so be very careful with this.
Getting a slow-feed dog bowl is a quick and easy solution to curb overfeeding of your canine buddy.
We have chosen the Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food as our top pick because we believe it has everything that your beloved gentle giant needs to grow healthy and strong.
First of all, this product is specially formulated for large breeds of dogs such as Great Danes. Secondly, its grain-free recipe contains calcium and phosphorous that can make your pet’s bones stronger.
Furthermore, it contains the right amount of nutrients to keep your pooch healthy and free from diseases. If you truly care about your Great Dane, then this is the dog food that you should buy.