The best puppy food for Labs is Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food.
Labrador Retrievers are among the most amazing dogs to have. They are loyal, smart, dedicated, funny, and playful big dogs. So if you’ve got a Labrador as your pet, consider yourself lucky!
As a lucky pet owner, you need to make sure you take good care of your beloved dog. Don’t just feed your dog with any pet food. Look for high-quality foods that are made specifically for Labrador Retrievers. They have to make your dog healthy, nourished, and full of energy.
As you know, Labs are often very active. In fact, during the early times, they used to help fishermen in Canada in hauling fishing nets on freezing water.
If you’re in the process of looking for the best dog food to feed your beloved Labs, here are our recommendations to try.
#1 Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 25 lb Bag - Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food Real Lamb + Brown Rice Recipe with Ancient Grains
- Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food Real Lamb + Brown Rice Recipe With Ancient Grains
- Real deboned lamb is always the first ingredient
In this list, the Merrick Classic healthy grains dry dog food is our top choice. This is because we believe that this is the kind of dog food that’s perfect for your beloved Labrador. This dog food provides nourishment to your beloved pet with a wholesome balance of fruits, whole grains, proteins, and vegetables.
This dog food uses a real lamb and green peas recipe that is free of lentils, peas, and potatoes, but along with other grains and vegetables, such as apples, barley, carrots, oatmeal, quinoa, and more. Indeed, this dog food is loaded with vitamins and minerals for balanced and complete nutrition.
Furthermore, it contains a high amount of chondroitin and glucosamine, which enhances your dog’s mobility and joint health. Plus, it has high levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that help keep your Labs’ skin healthy.
We like this dog food because it is available in different flavors. Plus, it smells fresh, something that your Labrador would love to gobble at mealtime. If you refer to customers’ reviews, you’ll know that the customers appreciate the fact that their Labs are very excited when feeding time comes because their pet loves this dog food so much.
- Ingredients include chondroitin and glucosamine that promote healthy hips and joints.
- Keeps your pet’s skin healthy, thanks to the presence of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Made with real deboned lamb along with vegetables and fruits.
- The potato-free recipes are healthy and nutritious.
#2 Fromm Family Foods Gold Nutritionals Dry Dog Food
- Only The Highest Quality Ingredients Available Are Used In Fromm Pet Foods
- Many Variety'S Available From Puppy To Senior
- The Best Dog Food Money Can Buy
If you are trying to save money, you can find several dog foods for Labs that are high-quality and still come at an affordable price. One of these is the Fromm Family Foods Gold Nutritionals Adult Dog Food. It’s made from finest ingredients that your dog will absolutely love. In fact, the main ingredients consist of chicken and duck meat.
Most of the customers who have tried feeding this food to their dogs have noticed a significant difference after switching to this brand. Their dogs have become healthier and more energetic.
What’s more, the soft and fur coats of their Labs have gotten shinier as well. Even though this dog food is one of the most affordable in this list, it’s still an excellent choice for your dog, especially if your furry friend suffers from allergies.
Not only that but you get to save money because you don’t have to bring your pooch to the vet regularly.
Customers like this dog food because it helps treat pet allergies as well. Despite it being affordable, it’s made from high-quality ingredients that can keep your beloved Labrador healthy at all times.
- Available in different varieties that are suitable to puppies and even senior Labradors.
- Good value for your money.
- Made from the highest quality ingredients.
#3 Victor Super Premium Dog Food
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: This premium high protein dog food is specifically formulated as a gluten free, grain free dry dog...
- 33% PROTEIN DRY FOOD: Packed with premium-quality beef, pork and fish meals
- ALL BREEDS, ALL LIFE STAGES: Suitable for all life stages of small dogs, medium dogs and large breed dogs, this premium...
Another dry dog food that deserves to be on this list is the Victor Super Premium dog food. This is the perfect food to feed to your sensitive pups.
This dog food features a nutrient-dense, multi-protein and grain-free recipe made specially for dogs allergic to certain grains and proteins. It also comes with a beef flavor to entice even the fuzziest pickers.
The main protein source comes from premium quality pork, beef, and fish meals. If you are looking for dog food to feed to your growing puppies, including the pregnant and lactating female Labs, then this would be a great dog food to try.
The Victor Super Premium dog food is especially recommended for large breed dogs that have high physical demands, such as Labradors. This dog food is rich in vitamins and minerals, as well as essential fatty acids, amino acids, and proteins that keep your dog healthy and strong.
If you need dog food that can provide your pooch with well-balanced nutrition, then Victor Super Premium is the dog food that you should buy. We love that each bag is packed with nutritional values, ideal for highly active dogs, such as Labrador Retrievers.
- Consists of 77% meat protein from premium quality beef, pork, and fish meals.
- Perfect for pregnant and lactating Labs.
- Grain-free and rich in both vitamins and minerals, including essential fatty acids, amino acids, and protein.
#4 ORIJEN Dry Dog Food
- ORIJEN Original dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and...
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically...
For dog owners who want their pooch to follow a raw food diet, ORIJEN dry dog food is a great choice to try. It’s specially formulated for Labs that tend to suffer from dry and shedding skin. This food is rich in protein with 85% meat. Thus, it’s a great food to mimic the natural raw food that carnivorous canines prefer to indulge in the wild.
Its high-protein content, about 38% to 44%, can help your large breed pooch to sustain its high energy levels throughout the day. But take note that this food is only intended for adult Labradors. It’s not recommended for pups as it could potentially damage their delicate skeleton.
⅔ of the meat this dog food has is either fresh or raw. Thus, your pet can fully absorb the vitamins and nutrients faster unlike with other types of dog food. The rest of the meat is air-dried. In fact, the meat products used for this formula are safe for human consumption.
Unlike the typical dog food, this dry dog food is made from fresh and raw meat that’s ideal for a raw food diet. Your large breed Labradors will surely enjoy each and every bit of this food since it’s bursting with nutritional goodness and delicious taste.
- Rich in vitamins and nutrients and made from raw and fresh meat.
- It nourishes your Labs by meeting their biological needs of 20% carbs and 38% protein.
- A good diversity of raw and fresh meats.
#5 Purina Beneful Originals Adult Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 31.1 lb. Bag - Purina Beneful Dry Dog Food, Originals Real Salmon With Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans & Carrots
- Real salmon is the #1 ingredient
- Accented with real sweet potatoes, green beans & carrots for wholesome goodness
Your beloved Lab will surely enjoy feasting the wide array of flavors of the Purina Beneful Originals. This dog food is made with high-quality ingredients that are palatable for your dogs. Made from real whole grains, salmon, and vegetable, this dog food from Purina will surely keep your beloved pooch healthy and strong.
The Purina Beneful Originals also contains a good amount of omega fatty acids that can keep your Lab’s coat shiny and beautiful. Furthermore, it’s rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that can keep your dog’s immune system healthy.
There are 23 essential vitamins and minerals in these dog foods and each serving supports your dog’s overall health. Your beloved pet will surely enjoy eating this dog food that’s bursting with flavor and nutrition, along with a blend of tender bites and crunchy kibbles!
We like this large breed dog food simply because it’s the kind of dog food that Labs will love. The food’s crunchy and tender bites will surely make your pooch happy and healthy. Not only that but you get to choose from a wide variety of flavors in different combinations so your pooch will have plenty of flavors to choose from.
- Consists of crunchy and flavorful kibbles with real salmon that adult dogs will love.
- Contains 23 essential vitamins and minerals that support your dog’s overall health.
- Includes green beans, sweet potatoes, and carrots, resulting in wholesome goodness.
- Rich in omega fatty acids that keep your Lab’s coat shiny and healthy.
#6 Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
- FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED LABRADOR RETRIEVERS: Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the...
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Unique kibble shape is designed to help quick eaters to chew slowly
- WEIGHT MANAGEMENT: Promotes an ideal weight with precise calorie and fat content for weight management in large dogs
This dog food is made by Royal Canin and is specially designed for Labradors. It’s made from a different combination of ingredients that could fight some of your most common health issues while also providing your dog with a balanced diet.
The best thing about this dog food is its shape, texture, and size. They are shaped like a donut and are meant to attract dogs, encouraging them to chew their food. In fact, this is an excellent food for training. The ingredients feature chicken meal, which is a good source of protein for your pooch. Other ingredients are oatmeal and brown rice.
We love that this large breed dog food features a unique donut-shaped kibble that can help to train your beloved Labrador to chew food properly. Furthermore, this dog food contains just the right amount of calories and fat that can help maintain the ideal weight for your Lab.
- Features donut-shaped kibbles that can train your pooch to chew and eat their food.
- Strengthens the dog’s skin barrier by providing your pooch with essential nutrients.
- Supports bone and joint health.
- The food’s nutritional value helps to maintain the ideal weight for your pooch.
#7 Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- Breakthrough adult dry dog food clinically proven for weight management
- Over 70 % of adult dogs lost weight within 10 weeks when fed this safe & effective weight management dog food
- Help your grown dog maintain a healthy weight with this dog food
Hill’s Science Diet dog food is one of those dog foods that are known for being made from high-quality ingredients, which is why this dog food deserves to be on this list. It provides 100% of a large breed pooch’s essential nutrients with just the right quantities.
This dog food can help to improve your dog’s immune system and ensure proper bone development, which is essential for Labradors. It provides the right amount of calcium for your pooch, which aids in the development of bones. Plus, it has enough fiber that can help with proper digestion. This dog food is rich in antioxidants that can keep your dog healthy, especially during the grown-up years.
We included this dog food on this list because it’s formulated with healthy and great tasting ingredients that your beloved Labrador will surely enjoy.
- Helps your grown-up dog to maintain healthy and strong bones.
- Ideal for the proper weight management of your Lab.
- Made from real and natural ingredients.
- Supports proper maintenance of muscles.
Dog Food For Labs Buyer’s Guide
Now that you have an idea in mind about which large breed dog foods you should go for when buying dog food for your Labrador, you’re probably wondering how you can choose the best one from this list. Before you make a choice, make sure that you familiarize yourself with the characteristics of your Labrador. That way, you’ll know precisely the kind of food that your pooch will love.
Of course, you also need to consider your dog’s diet and nutritional needs. Different breeds of dogs will have different dietary requirements.
As you know, Labrador Retrievers have strong muscles and are genetically physically active. In fact, they are considered excellent runners. Therefore, they need the kind of food that can provide them with a tremendous amount of energy and can fulfill their daily nutritional needs to keep them healthy and strong.
How To Feed Your Labrador Retriever
Depending on their age, Labrador Retrievers are fed in different frequencies. Puppies that are still less than one month must be fed with their mother’s milk. Avoid feeding the pups with anything else to ensure that they get only the essential nutrients needed for their body to develop.
When these large breed pups become four weeks old, additional feeding is required on top of milk feeding. Puppies at this age must be fed four times a day until they reach 12 weeks old. At this time, it’s recommended that you feed your pups three times a day. Here’s a new puppy checklist guide for a list of items you will need for a Labrador puppy.
When your Labrador is 6 months old, you can feed your dog twice a day, morning and evening. Such feeding frequency must be maintained until your pooch reaches adulthood.
When feeding your Lab pooch dry dog food, be sure to keep them tightly sealed in a storage container to avoid any spoilages.
The Typical Diet For A Labrador Retreiver
Aside from the nutritional requirements of your pooch, another critical thing to consider when choosing the right dog food for your pooch is their diet.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
Moderate To High Protein Levels
Labradors can benefit from a high-protein diet since they are naturally energetic and active. But as a pet owner, you must also make sure to provide your dog with the right exercise that it needs. You should at least allow your dog to play in the backyard or take it with you for a daily walk in the park. Dog frisbees are an inexpensive option that will provide for hours of fun.
In this case, an active Labrador would need to be fed with a high-protein diet. Thus, look for the kind of dog food that can meet the moderate to high protein levels that your dog needs.
Low To Moderate Calories
If your pooch is very active and loves to run regularly and swims in the lake, while also doing lots of other physical activities several times a week, then you definitely should feed your pooch with a high-calorie diet.
Again, it’s essential that you give your pooch the daily exercise that it needs to keep it strong and healthy. That way, any calories consumed by your pooch will be converted to glycogen and fatty acids. This also helps to prevent your pooch from becoming obese.
Also, be sure to let your Lab pooch wear a set of dog boots during hikes to protect its paws!
Fats pack a highly concentrated form of energy. Since the Labradors tend to get obese if they don’t get the right exercise that they need, their diet must be low in fat. This is not necessarily to eliminate fats from their diet because it’s also an essential part of their nutrition. But as much as possible, look for dog food that’s low in fat.
Always monitor your Labrador for signs of eating too quickly. To moderate your pooch eating habits, you can consider getting a slow feeding dog bowl. This helps to slow down their food intake and reduces any digestive issues that might come about from eating their food too quickly.
Now that you know some tips on how to choose the best dog food for Labs, it should be clear to you why we are highly recommending our top pick of dog food for your Lab pooch.
First of all, it has enough protein that’s necessary for active dogs like Labrador Retrievers. Secondly, it’s loaded with nutrients, including omega-3 and omega-6 that makes the skin of your pooch healthy. On top of all these, rest assured that your beloved pet will surely love the high-quality our top pick uses. Thus, feeding your dog with this kind of food will be such a breeze!