The best puppy food for Labs is Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food.
Labrador Retrievers are among the most amazing dogs to have. They are loyal, smart, dedicated, funny, and playful big dogs. So if you’ve got a Labrador as your pet, consider yourself lucky!
As a lucky pet owner, you need to make sure you take good care of your beloved dog. Don’t just feed your dog with any pet food. Look for high-quality foods that are made specifically for Labrador Retrievers. They have to make your dog healthy, nourished, and full of energy.
As you know, Labs are often very active. In fact, during the early times, they used to help fishermen in Canada in hauling fishing nets on freezing water.
If you’re in the process of looking for the best dog food to feed your beloved Labs, here are our recommendations to try.
#1 Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 25 lb Bag - Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food Real Lamb + Brown Rice Recipe with Ancient Grains
- Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food Real Lamb + Brown Rice Recipe With Ancient Grains
- Real deboned lamb is always the first ingredient
In this list, the Merrick Classic healthy grains dry dog food is our top choice. This is because we believe that this is the kind of dog food that’s perfect for your beloved Labrador. This dog food provides nourishment to your beloved pet with a wholesome balance of fruits, whole grains, proteins, and vegetables.
This dog food uses a real lamb and green peas recipe that is free of lentils, peas, and potatoes, but along with other grains and vegetables, such as apples, barley, carrots, oatmeal, quinoa, and more. Indeed, this dog food is loaded with vitamins and minerals for balanced and complete nutrition.
Furthermore, it contains a high amount of chondroitin and glucosamine, which enhances your dog’s mobility and joint health. Plus, it has high levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that help keep your Labs’ skin healthy.
We like this dog food because it is available in different flavors. Plus, it smells fresh, something that your Labrador would love to gobble at mealtime. If you refer to customers’ reviews, you’ll know that the customers appreciate the fact that their Labs are very excited when feeding time comes because their pet loves this dog food so much.
- Comes in a 25 lbs bag of dry dog food that contains real lamb and brown rice as well as ancient grains, which is a great option for your Labrador.
- Made of natural ingredients with real deboned lamb being the top ingredient, which makes the dog food healthy and great tasting.
- It is made of a unique blend of grains, which aids your Labrador’s digestion and gives it a regulated gut.
- This dog food is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which give your Labrador a healthy coat and skin.
- Rich in glucosamine and chondroitin, and this gives your doggie healthy hips and joints so they can lead an active life.
- Some Labradors experience vomiting, and this makes them not want to eat the food again.
- Some pups had loose stool after eating the dog food, which means it affects their stomachs.
#2 Fromm Family Foods Gold Nutritionals Dry Dog Food
- Only The Highest Quality Ingredients Available Are Used In Fromm Pet Foods
- Many Variety'S Available From Puppy To Senior
- The Best Dog Food Money Can Buy
If you are trying to save money, you can find several dog foods for Labs that are high-quality and still come at an affordable price. One of these is the Fromm Family Foods Gold Nutritionals Adult Dog Food. It’s made from finest ingredients that your dog will absolutely love. In fact, the main ingredients consist of chicken and duck meat.
Most of the customers who have tried feeding this food to their dogs have noticed a significant difference after switching to this brand. Their dogs have become healthier and more energetic.
What’s more, the soft and fur coats of their Labs have gotten shinier as well. Even though this dog food is one of the most affordable in this list, it’s still an excellent choice for your dog, especially if your furry friend suffers from allergies.
Not only that but you get to save money because you don’t have to bring your pooch to the vet regularly.
Customers like this dog food because it helps treat pet allergies as well. Despite it being affordable, it’s made from high-quality ingredients that can keep your beloved Labrador healthy at all times.
- Made of natural ingredients like Wisconsin duck, fresh lamb, fish, whole eggs, and real cheese, among others, which makes it a perfect meal for your Labrador.
- Ideal for allergic or sensitive Labs as it does not contain any corn or wheat as well as artificial preservatives.
- Contains chicken cartilage, which is naturally rich in natural glucosamine, and this helps to boost your doggie’s health.
- It is rich in probiotics and prebiotics, which can aid your Lab’s digestive system and ease bowel movement.
- Contains premium essential fatty acids, which are responsible for your pup’s cholesterol levels, smooth skin, and soft fur.
- Some Labradors may be allergic to some of the ingredients in this dog food, and it can cause diarrhea or vomiting.
- It is more expensive than most brands, which can put a dent in your budget.
#3 Victor Super Premium Dog Food
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: This premium high protein dog food is specifically formulated as a gluten free, grain free dry dog...
- 33% PROTEIN DRY FOOD: Packed with premium-quality beef, pork and fish meals
- ALL BREEDS, ALL LIFE STAGES: Suitable for all life stages of small dogs, medium dogs and large breed dogs, this premium...
Another dry dog food that deserves to be on this list is the Victor Super Premium dog food. This is the perfect food to feed to your sensitive pups.
This dog food features a nutrient-dense, multi-protein and grain-free recipe made specially for dogs allergic to certain grains and proteins. It also comes with a beef flavor to entice even the fuzziest pickers.
The main protein source comes from premium quality pork, beef, and fish meals. If you are looking for dog food to feed to your growing puppies, including the pregnant and lactating female Labs, then this would be a great dog food to try.
The Victor Super Premium dog food is especially recommended for large breed dogs that have high physical demands, such as Labradors. This dog food is rich in vitamins and minerals, as well as essential fatty acids, amino acids, and proteins that keep your dog healthy and strong.
If you need dog food that can provide your pooch with well-balanced nutrition, then Victor Super Premium is the dog food that you should buy. We love that each bag is packed with nutritional values, ideal for highly active dogs, such as Labrador Retrievers.
- It comes in a 30 lbs bag and is suitable for Labradors at all life stages as well as pregnant or lactating doggies, which means it contains all the needed nutrients and minerals for strong paws, soft skin, and healthy skin.
- This dry dog food is perfect for Labs will allergies, as it is gluten-free and grain-free.
- It is rich in protein at up to 33% thanks to the fish, pork, and beef ingredients, which give your Lab energy to play.
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics, which are great for aiding digestion.
- It contains selenium yeast, whose role is to boost your Labrador’s metabolism, cell regeneration, and immunity.
- Some owners and pups did not like the smell of the kibble, which means they will not eat it.
- Some Labs experienced black and awful-smelling poop after eating the dog food.
#4 ORIJEN Dry Dog Food
- ORIJEN Original dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and...
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically...
For dog owners who want their pooch to follow a raw food diet, ORIJEN dry dog food is a great choice to try. It’s specially formulated for Labs that tend to suffer from dry and shedding skin. This food is rich in protein with 85% meat. Thus, it’s a great food to mimic the natural raw food that carnivorous canines prefer to indulge in the wild.
Its high-protein content, about 38% to 44%, can help your large breed pooch to sustain its high energy levels throughout the day. But take note that this food is only intended for adult Labradors. It’s not recommended for pups as it could potentially damage their delicate skeleton.
⅔ of the meat this dog food has is either fresh or raw. Thus, your pet can fully absorb the vitamins and nutrients faster unlike with other types of dog food. The rest of the meat is air-dried. In fact, the meat products used for this formula are safe for human consumption.
Unlike the typical dog food, this dry dog food is made from fresh and raw meat that’s ideal for a raw food diet. Your large breed Labradors will surely enjoy each and every bit of this food since it’s bursting with nutritional goodness and delicious taste.
- This original flavor dog food contains up to 85% whole animal proteins like chicken, turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs, which are not only great tasting but healthy for your Labrador.
- This product contains different animal parts, which help with bone, skin, and overall health like flesh, cartilage, organs, and bone.
- Comes in a 25 lb pack, which can feed Labs at all life stages and offer proper nutrition and a hearty meal when needed.
- The grain-free pellets in this dog food are perfect for Labs with allergies.
- This dog food contains a mix of proteins, vitamins, and minerals, which help with immunity, soft skin, healthy fur, and aid with digestion.
- Some Labs experienced bloody diarrhea after ingesting this dog food meaning it affected their digestive system negatively.
- Some pups were lethargic and lacked energy after eating this dry dog food.
#5 Purina Beneful Originals Adult Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 31.1 lb. Bag - Purina Beneful Dry Dog Food, Originals Real Salmon With Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans & Carrots
- Real salmon is the #1 ingredient
- Accented with real sweet potatoes, green beans & carrots for wholesome goodness
Your beloved Lab will surely enjoy feasting the wide array of flavors of the Purina Beneful Originals. This dog food is made with high-quality ingredients that are palatable for your dogs. Made from real whole grains, salmon, and vegetable, this dog food from Purina will surely keep your beloved pooch healthy and strong.
The Purina Beneful Originals also contains a good amount of essential fatty acids that can keep your Lab’s coat shiny and beautiful. Furthermore, it’s rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that can keep your dog’s immune system healthy.
There are 23 essential vitamins and minerals in these dog foods and each serving supports your dog’s overall health. Your beloved pet will surely enjoy eating this dog food that’s bursting with flavor and nutrition, along with a blend of tender bites and crunchy kibbles!
We like this large breed dog food simply because it’s the kind of dog food that Labs will love. The food’s crunchy and tender bites will surely make your pooch happy and healthy. Not only that but you get to choose from a wide variety of flavors in different combinations so your pooch will have plenty of flavors to choose from.
- Your Labrador will enjoy hearty meals from this dry dog food that comes in a large 31.1 lbs bag, which is made with Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans & Carrots.
- The top ingredient in this dog food is real salmon, which is perfect for essential fatty acids and proteins, which help with cholesterol and energy levels for your Lab.
- Contains quality proteins in some of the ingredients, and this is responsible for your Lab’s strong muscles.
- It is made of real ingredients and does not contain artificial flavors or added sugar.
- The crunchy kibble and tender protein bites are rich in vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that boosts your Labrador’s immune system.
- Not all Labs like the smell or taste of this dry dog food as they may prefer different flavors.
- Some pups were lethargic and experienced vomiting and gas due to a sensitive digestive tract.
#6 Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
- FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED LABRADOR RETRIEVERS: Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the...
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Unique kibble shape is designed to help quick eaters to chew slowly
- WEIGHT MANAGEMENT: Promotes an ideal weight with precise calorie and fat content for weight management in large dogs
This dog food is made by Royal Canin and is specially designed for Labradors. It’s made from a different combination of ingredients that could fight some of your most common health issues while also providing your dog with a balanced diet.
The best thing about this dog food is its shape, texture, and size. They are shaped like a donut and are meant to attract dogs, encouraging them to chew their food. In fact, this is an excellent food for training. The ingredients feature chicken meal, which is a good source of protein for your pooch. Other ingredients are oatmeal and brown rice.
We love that this large breed dog food features a unique donut-shaped kibble that can help to train your beloved Labrador to chew food properly. Furthermore, this dog food contains just the right amount of calories and fat that can help maintain the ideal weight for your Lab.
- Comes in a 30 lbs bag, and this is dry dog food for adult Labradors 15 months or older.
- Has specially designed donut-shaped kibble bites, which help your Lab to chew slowly and properly digest the dog food.
- It contains EPA, DHA, and glucosamine, which are ideal for your Labrador’s bone and joint support so they can play and run.
- Contains essential vitamins and fats that help your pup’s coat and skin to stay healthy.
- It has the right amount of calories and nutrients, which aid with your Lab’s weight management.
- Some doggies do not like the smell or taste of the adult dry dog food formula and may refuse to eat the food.
- Labs with sensitive stomachs have experienced bouts of diarrhea and vomiting after consumption.
#7 Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- Breakthrough adult dry dog food clinically proven for weight management
- Over 70 % of adult dogs lost weight within 10 weeks when fed this safe & effective weight management dog food
- Help your grown dog maintain a healthy weight with this dog food
Hill’s Science Diet dog food is one of those dog foods that are known for being made from high-quality ingredients, which is why this dog food deserves to be on this list. It provides 100% of a large breed pooch’s essential nutrients with just the right quantities.
This dog food can help to improve your dog’s immune system and ensure proper bone development, which is essential for Labradors. It provides the right amount of calcium for your pooch, which aids in the development of bones. Plus, it has enough fiber that can help with proper digestion. This dog food is rich in antioxidants that can keep your dog healthy, especially during the grown-up years.
We included this dog food on this list because it’s formulated with healthy and great tasting ingredients that your beloved Labrador will surely enjoy.
- Made in the United States and has TRUE GOLD certification as a zero-waste facility, which means this dog food is made with minimal waste output.
- Clinical formula for weight management and over 70% of Labradors that eat this food experienced weight loss within 10 weeks.
- The 28.5 lb bag contains pellets, which are fortified with vitamins, amino acids, and minerals, which help with immunity and give your Lab a healthier skin and coat.
- The protein and nutrients formula also helps with lean muscle support.
- The dog food contains natural ingredients like chicken, chicken liver, coconut oil, oat fiber, flaxseed and so much more, which provides protein and aids with food digestion.
- Its weight management formula will not be suitable for puppies and pregnant or nursing Labradors.
- Some doggies experienced stiff joints and diarrhea after negatively reacting to this dog food.
Dog Food For Labs Buyer’s Guide
Now that you have an idea in mind about which large breed dog foods you should go for when buying dog food for your Labrador, you’re probably wondering how you can choose the best one from this list. Before you make a choice, make sure that you familiarize yourself with the characteristics of your Labrador. That way, you’ll know precisely the kind of food that your pooch will love.
Of course, you also need to consider your dog’s diet and nutritional needs. Different breeds of dogs will have different dietary requirements.
As you know, Labrador Retrievers have strong muscles and are genetically physically active. In fact, they are considered excellent runners. Therefore, they need the kind of food that can provide them with a tremendous amount of energy and can fulfill their daily nutritional needs to keep them healthy and strong.
How To Feed Your Labrador Retriever
Depending on their age, Labrador Retrievers are fed in different frequencies. Puppies that are still less than one month must be fed with their mother’s milk. Avoid feeding the pups with anything else to ensure that they get only the essential nutrients needed for their body to develop.
When these large breed pups become four weeks old, additional feeding is required on top of milk feeding. Puppies at this age must be fed four times a day until they reach 12 weeks old. At this time, it’s recommended that you feed your pups three times a day. Here’s a new puppy checklist guide for a list of items you will need for a Labrador puppy.
When your Labrador is 6 months old, you can feed your dog twice a day, morning and evening. Such feeding frequency must be maintained until your pooch reaches adulthood.
When feeding your Lab pooch dry dog food, be sure to keep them tightly sealed in a storage container to avoid any spoilages.
The Typical Diet For A Labrador Retreiver
Aside from the nutritional requirements of your pooch, another critical thing to consider when choosing the right dog food for your pooch is their diet.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
Moderate To High Protein Levels
Labradors can benefit from a high-protein diet since they are naturally energetic and active. But as a pet owner, you must also make sure to provide your dog with the right exercise that it needs. You should at least allow your dog to play in the backyard or take it with you for a daily walk in the park. Dog frisbees are an inexpensive option that will provide for hours of fun.
In this case, an active Labrador would need to be fed with a high-protein diet. Thus, look for the kind of dog food that can meet the moderate to high protein levels that your dog needs.
Low To Moderate Calories
If your pooch is very active and loves to run regularly and swims in the lake, while also doing lots of other physical activities several times a week, then you definitely should feed your pooch with a high-calorie diet.
Again, it’s essential that you give your pooch the daily exercise that it needs to keep it strong and healthy. That way, any calories consumed by your pooch will be converted to glycogen and fatty acids. This also helps to prevent your pooch from becoming obese.
Also, be sure to let your Lab pooch wear a set of dog boots during hikes to protect its paws!
Fats pack a highly concentrated form of energy. Since the Labradors tend to get obese if they don’t get the right exercise that they need, their diet must be low in fat. This is not necessarily to eliminate fats from their diet because it’s also an essential part of their nutrition. But as much as possible, look for dog food that’s low in fat.
Always monitor your Labrador for signs of eating too quickly. To moderate your pooch eating habits, you can consider getting a slow feeding dog bowl. This helps to slow down their food intake and reduces any digestive issues that might come about from eating their food too quickly.
Now that you know some tips on how to choose the best dog food for Labs, it should be clear to you why we are highly recommending our top pick of dog food for your Lab pooch.
First of all, it has enough protein that’s necessary for active dogs like Labrador Retrievers. Secondly, it’s loaded with nutrients, including omega-3 and omega-6 that makes the skin of your pooch healthy. On top of all these, rest assured that your beloved pet will surely love the high-quality our top pick uses. Thus, feeding your dog with this kind of food will be such a breeze!