The best glucosamine for dogs is Doggie Dailies Glucosamine.
Glucosamine is a naturally occurring substance in the body that is used to make cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. As dogs age, they develop a condition called degenerative joint disease (DJD), where the cartilage in the joints breaks down, causing pain and inflammation.
Glucosamine is the most common remedy for dogs with DJD and can be purchased over the counter for pets.
The best glucosamine supplements for dogs are those which contain chondroitin as well as glucosamine because these two ingredients work better together than separately. Some people may think this is a “doggie multi-vitamin”, but it’s not – it provides nutrients that can’t be found in commercial dog food.
#1 Doggie Dailies Glucosamine For Dogs
- EASY TO GIVE CHICKEN FLAVOR SOFT CHEWS – Irresistible hip and joint supplement for dogs. Easy to administer and...
- PROMOTES HEALTHY JOINTS, COMFORT & MOBILITY – Each soft chew contains a powerful blend of Glucosamine, MSM,...
- HELPS KEEP YOUR DOG ACTIVE – Our glucosamine chondroitin for dogs is made by cold-press extrusion to preserve the...
Doggie Dailies Glucosamine Supplements come in the form of soft chew treats. The best part about this design is the fact that you can very easily give them to your pooch as rewards for good behavior without having to interfere with the tastes they are used to with their regular meals.
The chews are packed with glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, and CoQ10. All these play a number of roles in maintaining bone and joint health as well as promoting functionality and improving healing, especially with dogs suffering from arthritis and hip dysplasia.
The cold press extrusion methods used to extract glucosamine and the other joint support supplements in these chews are also worth celebrating. This offers maximum potency, ensuring that your dog gets the perfect amount to get the job done.
If you are worried about whether or not your dog will take to the new treats, you can rest easy. With the chicken-flavored formula, your dog will be begging for more.
This is a truly all-rounded glucosamine supplement for your dog, which is why it is our top pick. In addition to offering a variety of bone and joint-friendly compounds, your dog will get to enjoy access to other joint support supplements, including minerals, vitamins, and healthy oils for complete wellness, not just in the skeletal system.
- This Doggie Dailies supplementation formula for pooches contains a rich amount of ingredients such as glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, salmon oil, and hyaluronic acid, all of which boast properties that have proven to be effective at boosting canine joint health.
- Doggie Dailies’ advanced glucosamine product for dogs is formulated with cold-press extrusion technology to ensure that the integrity of the ingredients is preserved over a long period.
- The powerful blend of ingredients contained in this glucosamine supplement is also effective for easing stiffness in a pooch’s joints that may occur due to daily activities.
- This canine joint health supplement product is formulated and suitable for use on pooches of all ages, sizes, and breeds.
- To ensure that each supplement is safe for pooches to consume, each batch of Doggie Dailies’ glucosamine product is tested extensively by an independent laboratory.
- Several pooches have reportedly been put off by the chicken flavor of this canine supplement and refused to eat the chews as a result.
- Multiple customers also claim to have received Doggie Dailies packages with chews that had been broken down into powder form that was unsuitable for their pooches to consume.
#2 NaturVet Glucosamine DS Plus
- OPTIMAL SUPPORT - Our Glucosamine DS Plus Level 2 Moderate Care joint support soft chews are an excellent cat and dog...
- INGREDIENTS THAT WORK - Formulated with MSM, antioxidants, Chondroitin, and Glucosamine for dogs and cats to support...
- TASTES LIKE A TREAT - Tasty soft chew that your dog or cat will love. For dogs or cats over the age of 12 weeks.
NaturVet DS Soft Chews are tasty, easy-to-digest, wheat-free pet supplements that feature a combination of glucosamine powders. With MSM and chondroitin added for optimum joint health, vets recommend this product for large breeds, overweight pets, or adult dogs over the age of 12 weeks.
These tasty soft chews contain antioxidants in them as well to help prevent free radical damage associated with aging and promote overall healthy tissue growth.
Each soft chew contains 500mg glucosamine hydrochloride, 500mg MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), 60mg chondroitin sulfate A, and 60 IU vitamin E (natural D-alpha-Tocopherol acetate).
Veterinarian formulated in an NASC/NRC approved cGMP compliant facility in the USA.
This is the perfect option if you are shopping for your dog on a budget. The fact that it is so affordable does not in any way mean that they skimped out on the quality. Therefore, you can rest assured that you will be getting full value for your money.
- The DS Plus supplements contain a combination of glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM that work together to enhance the structural integrity of a pooch’s joints and tissues.
- In addition to promoting canine joint health, this NaturVet glucosamine supplement contains antioxidants that are effective at combating cellular damage in pooches caused by the presence of free radicals.
- NaturVet’s glucosamine supplements for pooches come in special time-released capsules to ensure that the contents of the pills dissolve slowly in a pooch’s body and enhance effectiveness.
- NaturVet’s glucosamine supplements are manufactured in NASC and FDA-audited facilities, with third-party laboratory tests carried out on the products to ensure their safety for canine consumption.
- This canine glucosamine supplement product is available in small and soft chews and tablets that can be comfortably eaten by pooches, as well as a liquid form that can be conveniently mixed with the dog’s food.
- Several customers have reported that their canine buddies didn’t like the taste of this glucosamine supplement.
- This canine glucosamine supplement from NaturVet has quality control issues, as multiple customers have received packages with tablets that were clumped together and uneatable for dogs.
#3 In Clover Connectin Hip And Joint Tablet Supplement
- Clinically proven, pet could bear weight and had better range of motion. Works in 15 days
- Joint cushioning, flexibility, lubrication ingredients: glucosamine, chondroitin & hyaluronic acid
- Patented hip and joint supplement formulated by InClover biochemist using evidence-based research
In Clover Connectin stands out from other glucosamine supplements on our list with its tablet formulation. This comes in handy if you want as little filler as possible, especially when dealing with obese dogs.
In addition to the form it comes in, this glucosamine for dogs stands out with its combination of glucosamine and other joint supplements with a special blend of herbs. These offer all sorts of complementing benefits, including reducing inflammation for hip joint pain relief.
They also help to improve blood flow and delivery of chondroitin and glucosamine to the joint where they can actually do their job. Some of these include turmeric, nettle, ginger, and alfalfa, just to name a few.
We would recommend the In Clover Connectin hip and joint supplements for dogs suffering from not only skeletal issues but other health problems involving inflammation. It is also worth considering if your dog is overweight.
- This canine supplement product from In Clover contains ingredients, such as glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid that can effectively cushion a pooch’s joints and improve flexibility.
- The Connectin tablet supplements contain a blend of 9 natural herbs, such as ginger root, cayenne, and turmeric, that serve as a delivery system for joint-building blocks, while also supporting healthy joint functioning in dogs.
- This canine supplement product is available in the form of chews, tablets, and powders to enable customers to choose the product form that can be most conveniently administered to their canine buddies.
- The effectiveness of the Connectin supplement is clinically tested, and as claimed by the manufacturer, this product typically provides noticeable changes within the first 15 days of use.
- In Clover’s hip and joint supplements come with a 100% money-back guarantee that covers situations where they are not effective for pooches or when the dogs refuse to consume the tablets.
- The extra ingredients in this canine supplement formula tend to induce diarrhea and loose stools in pooches.
- Not all dogs are enticed by the flavor of this canine supplement product, with customers often needing to crush and hide tablets in their pooch’s food to administer the supplements.
#4 Fur Belly Glucosamine For Dogs
- RELIEVES JOINT PAIN & IMPROVES MOBILITY - Dog arthritis supplement with glucosamine and MSM for pain relief for dogs....
- HEMP FOR DOGS - Hemp, an antioxidant superfood rich in omega 3 & omega 6 fatty acids, strengthens the immune system and...
- TASTY TREATS FOR ALL DOG SIZES - Our dog joint supplements are perfect for any size dog! To your pet they will taste...
This Glucosamine Supplement from Fur Belly features a powerful combination of glucosamine and MSM. These two together have been shown to promote healing in joints where the cartilage has been worn out. They also promote lubrication to prevent further injury. It is therefore ideal for dogs with or at risk of developing canine arthritis.
Moreover, your pooch gets to enjoy the benefits of hemp extract. This compound has anti-inflammatory and joint pain relieving features. It also doubles up as a calming agent. This will come in particularly handy when dealing with dogs suffering from anxiety and general unrest as a result of joint-related discomfort.
This glucosamine for dogs is an alternative worth considering for dogs with really bad arthritis. The powerful combination of ingredients will help put your dog at ease by not only relieving the joint pain but also calming their riled-up nerves.
- Fur Belly’s glucosamine product for dogs is effective at providing relief to pooches suffering from joint pain, as well as treating canine arthritis and slowly repairing torn cartilage.
- This canine supplement also contains hemp, an antioxidant that is rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that provide support for a pooch’s immune system and strengthen the dog’s heart.
- The combination of natural ingredients, such as turmeric and hemp, contained in these supplements offers non-toxic pain relief to dogs suffering from joint and mobility issues.
- Fur Belly supplements are devoid of corn, sugar, and wheat, all of which usually trigger reactions in pooches, as well as artificial preservatives and flavors that are generally unsafe for pooches to consume.
- This dog supplement product for dogs is produced in Fur Belly’s facilities in the United States to ensure compliance with safe manufacturing processes and best quality practices.
- The strong smell of turmeric that often accompanies this canine supplement product often results in pooches refusing to eat the tablets.
- Some customers have reported that they didn’t notice any changes in their pooches’ joint discomfort, despite consistently using these canine supplements.
#5 Lintbells YuMOVE Dog Essential Hip And Joint Supplement
- Official joint supplement of the American Kennel Club. Triple-action hip & joint supplement to aid stiffness, mobility...
- Scientifically proven to give visible results in just 6 weeks*, YuMOVE is backed by 15 years of clinical...
- Contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin for high-strength joint support, Hyaluronic Acid to lubricate and cushion (ours...
These YuMOVE glucosamine supplements are designed to release active ingredients such as glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid quickly and directly into the joint space. As a result, they are known for their fast action promising improvements in functionality in as little as 6 weeks of consistent and correct usage of these glucosamine supplements.
There is also Manganese present in the tablets. This micronutrient is useful in the formation of collagen, which can be found in tendons and cartilage. It is therefore useful in healing arthritis pain or if your dog has a luxating patella.
As far as tablet glucosamine supplements go, this option from Lintbells is easily one of the best with its combination of readily available compounds. They are also flavorful, which is unique for tablet form supplements making them more palatable.
- The hyaluronic acid contained in Lintbells’ canine supplement provides lubrication and shock absorption qualities that are essential for promoting joint mobility in dogs.
- The inclusion of manganese, glucosamine, and natural chondroitin in this canine supplement formula facilitates the production of collagen needed to strengthen dogs’ cartilage, joints, and tendons.
- This canine supplement product contains vitamins C and E that help to prevent a pooch’s joints from aging and deteriorating earlier than normal.
- YuMOVE canine supplements are powered by the brand’s ActivEase green-lipped mussel, which is a concentrated source of omega-3 fatty acids that soothe dog joint pains.
- This hip and joint supplement product is backed by a 60-day money-back guarantee, in the event that there are no noticeable changes in canine joint health within this period.
- Some customers have commented that the pills of the YuMOVE hip and joint supplements were too hard for their pooches to chew and swallow.
- Multiple dogs have reportedly developed diarrhea and become lethargic after consuming YuMOVE joint supplements.
#6 Active Chews Glucosamine Dog Treats
- Make Playtime Fun Again: Our Glucosamine Chondroitin Hip & Joint dog chew is specially formulated for joint support, so...
- Glucosamine for Dogs: A hero among dog vitamins, glucosamine cushions and lubricates joints to help promote easeful...
- Chondroitin for Dogs: If you’re shopping for dog vitamins and supplements, make sure chondroitin is on your list. The...
One of the best things about the Active Chew Glucosamine Supplement is how it is prepared. The kibble is not cooked or subjected to any heat during processing. As a result, you are guaranteed maximum potency from the active ingredients, including MSM, chondroitin, and of course, glucosamine.
With such a guarantee, you know that you are not only getting full value for your money but also that your dog actually has a chance to enjoy relief from joint pain and discomfort.
Another small but important detail to celebrate is the texture of the kibble. They are soft but have a textured surface for tactile stimulation that makes the dog more likely to take them.
If you have a dog that is very picky about what it can and cannot eat, then this would be the ideal option. In addition to maintaining potency, the no-cook preparation ensures maximum flavor retention.
- The Active Chews supplements are processed and prepared without heating or cooking to ensure that the ingredients completely retain potency.
- The organic turmeric ingredient included in this glucosamine supplement product contains properties that are helpful for combating canine joint inflammation and promoting joint mobility in dogs.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin contained in these canine treats cushion and lubricate dog joints, support healthy cartilage, and repair existing damage to canine joints and tissue.
- The Active Chews supplements are chicken-flavored and manufactured with a velvety texture to increase the chews’ palatability to dogs and eliminate food pickiness among pooches.
- Active Chews canine treats are available in 90-count and 120-count quantities to enable customers to make the right purchase based on their dogs’ sizing requirements and their budget.
- The powdered turmeric coating on the outside of these dog chews tends to leave a mess that stains furniture, carpet, and clothes, especially when the product is being consumed by small dogs that can’t swallow in one bite.
- Consumption of these canine supplements has triggered side effects such as diarrhea in pooches.
#7 Nootie Glucosamine Dog Chews
These glucosamine soft chews from Nootie contain about 200mg of glucosamine. This is higher than most other options out there and therefore has a lot more to offer in terms of potency and overall effectiveness. It is also a low enough concentration that, with the right dosing, you do not have to worry about side effects which include abdominal discomfort and diarrhea.
The Nootie Glucosamine soft chew treats contain a combination of compounds very useful to joint healing and function. These include chondroitin, CoQ10, hyaluronic acid, and turmeric. All of these complement the actions of glucosamine, making it an even more powerful supplement for all your dog’s joint problems.
Nootie glucosamine soft chew supplements are amazing picks for dog parents who want a natural alternative for their sickly best furry friends. Their lifetime warranty is also something that could sway your decision.
- The high concentrations of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM. and hyaluronic acid contained in this canine supplement product promote the formation of healthy hips and joints in dogs while releasing the nutrients needed to maintain existing canine skeletal structures.
- Nootie’s glucosamine chews contain turmeric to provide a natural response to canine joint inflammation and reduce pain in a pooch’s joints.
- The Nootie glucosamine supplement is available in sizable quantities of 120 and 250 canine chews to ensure that pooches can continue to gain the health benefits associated with the consumption of the chews for a considerable period.
- Nootie’s canine chews are devoid of artificial flavoring, coloring, and preservatives that are generally considered to be unsafe for canine consumption.
- These glucosamine chews from the Nootie brand are produced in the company’s manufacturing facilities located in the United States, in compliance with safe and healthy manufacturing practices.
- Several customers have reportedly noticed no improvements in their dogs’ conditions despite consistently administering the recommended dosage of the Nootie chews.
- The Nootie glucosamine chews come with an overwhelming and unpleasant smell that usually results in pooches refusing to consume the supplements.
Glucosamine Supplements For Dogs Buyer’s Guide
If you have been on the market for good glucosamine supplements for your dog for a while, then you know better than anyone else that it is not always a straightforward process. You cannot simply pick out one random option given all the variety that is available these days.
You also have to factor in your dog’s specific needs and preferences to ensure you get something that they will not only like, but that will actually offer them relief for their joint and bone issues.
To help you out, here are some of the most important factors you need to consider and questions you should ask yourself when shopping for glucosamine for your dog.
Formulate Of Supplements
This is easily the most important factor to consider as it determines how easy it will be for you to administer glucosamine and other joint support supplements to the dog. For some perspective, here are some of the key formulations available and what they have to offer you and your furry best buddy.
Related: Best Dog Joint Supplements
This is the most popular of all types of glucosamine supplements. They take the form of kibbles but are often much softer than regular dog food kibble. This makes them ideal for use as a treat offering your pooch reinforcement while still giving them access to glucosamine.
The soft consistency also means that they can easily be incorporated into either wet or dry food diets.
These look and feel like regular tablets. They tend to have higher concentrations of glucosamine when compared to powders and are therefore ideal for dogs with very severe physical impairment.
However, you may have to crush the hard and often tasteless tablets before you can get your dog to even look twice at them.
This is one of the easiest formulations of glucosamine to assimilate into the dog’s diet. It is also often higher in concentrations of the glucosamine supplement than other options we have and will discuss. The main downside is that it is often very difficult to meter the dose you give to the dog unless you have an option with a specially designed dose dispensing bottle.
Powder glucosamine is not as common on the market, but it truly combines the best of all these options. It is easy to administer as all you have to do is sprinkle it into their food, whether wet or dry, and they should enjoy all the benefits.
Concentration Of Glucosamine
Different glucosamine products come in different concentrations. It all depends on the purpose of the glucosamine supplement as well as whether or not there are other joint support supplements included in the formulation.
Most glucosamine supplements for dogs have about 100mg to 600mg of the compound per standard measurement. This is often enough for most skeletal issues that dogs have, whether it is joint pain from arthritis or even stiffening with old age.
There are also some formulations with as much as 1,600mg of glucosamine per standard measurement. This is often the case with options such as liquid glucosamine. While the high potency does offer additional benefits when it comes to bone and joint function, it also puts your dog at risk for issues such as diarrhea and vomiting in the event of an overdose. It is therefore very important with these options to follow the dose instructions carefully.
Related: Best Dog Multivitamins
Does It Have Any Other Joint Support Supplements?
It is not very common to find a glucosamine supplement with this as the only compound. The good thing about combination supplements is that they give your dog the very best of all these beneficial extracts, whether or not it is related to bone and joint health. Here are some other compounds included in compound glucosamine supplements.
This plant extract has been shown to promote joint health by targeting cartilage. It prevents the breakdown of the cartilage while also promoting regeneration in the event of injuries from arthritis. This is also useful when dealing with luxating patella in dogs.
MSM in full is Methylsulfonylmethane. This compound is used in bone and joint supplements for its anti-inflammatory effects. It also relieves joint pain in these areas. As a result, it is ideal for use with dogs that suffer from arthritis, hip dysplasia, or intervertebral disc disease.
Hyaluronic acid is present naturally in the dog’s joints. However, in some skeletal diseases where inflammation is involved, the levels may not be sufficient to maintain adequate lubrication. That is where the hyaluronic acid in these joint and bone supplements comes in.
Coenzyme Q 10, also known as CoQ10, is also featured in a lot of glucosamine supplement formulations for its anti-inflammatory effects. These complement the overall functionality of the glucosamine and other joint support supplements in the mix.
Watch Out For Glucosamine Supplements Calorie Levels
This is particularly important when you are working with soft chew glucosamine kibble supplements for a dog that is also dealing with weight issues. With small dogs especially, every last calorie counts towards the journey to getting healthier and, by extension, increasing mobility.
If obesity is a contributing factor to your dog’s mobility issues, it is best to work with low-calorie soft chews, which are provided as our top pick. You could also consider alternatives such as liquid glucosamine supplements.
Related: Best Dog Food For Weight Loss
Are There Any Potential Allergens?
This, again, is particularly important with soft chew as well as powder glucosamine supplements. Remember that it is not just a supplement but also includes filler ingredients. These could come with allergens, whether it is gluten or animal products.
If you know that your furry best buddy suffers from any food intolerance, make sure that what you end up settling for are only glucosamine supplement preparations that are free of those trigger ingredients.
Does It Actually Taste Good?
Dogs have very sensitive palates. They are therefore very likely to reject any weird-tasting additions to their diet. This is, therefore, a consideration you simply cannot afford to ignore when shopping for glucosamine supplements.
One of the best things about soft chew supplements is the fact that they are more often than not formulated with these special considerations in mind. As a result, it is highly unlikely that you will find any odd-tasting options.
With tablets and liquid glucosamine, on the other hand, you may have to mix it in with their food to get the dog to actually take it without fussing.
Durability In Storage
The shelf life of your glucosamine supplement options is also worth considering when selecting what to go with. Tablets and liquid glucosamine offer the longest shelf life in most cases. With soft chews, you may have to settle for a little less. However, you will still have several months at the very least, in which case it is safe to say that, though important, this is not a make or break factor.
Type Of Filler Ingredients Used
As earlier mentioned, glucosamine supplements that come as soft chews often feature filler ingredients. You have to make sure that whatever it is you choose to go for has high-quality ingredients with additional nutritional benefits for your dog, whether it is protein-based or micronutrient-rich ingredients.
Glucosamine supplements could definitely be the solution that you have been looking for to put your dog out of its misery with its joint pain and bone issues. Our top pick is easily the best option out there, offering access not only to the much-needed glucosamine but also to other compounds useful in ensuring musculoskeletal health. The best part is that they come in the form of convenient soft chew treats.
So pick up a pack for your pooch if they have been suffering from mobility issues. You should also consider getting them if you have a dog breed prone to the same.