The best dog shampoo for mange is RenuPlex Medicated Dog Mange Shampoo.
Although dogs can be affected by many diseases, mange is far too common. Mange is a skin disease that affects most mammals. It’s caused by parasitic mites and can lead to severe itching and hair loss. If not treated in time, mange can also infect humans.
Fortunately, this disease is easily treatable. As always, do seek proper medical consultation with a licensed veterinarian.
Additionally, there are several specially formulated dog shampoos just for treating mange. These shampoos are designed to soothe and restore your dog’s skin as it heals over time.
In this article, we take a look at what are the best dog shampoos for mange.
#1 RenuPlex Medicated Dog Mange Shampoo
- BEST DOG MANGE SHAMPOO. The top rated NATURAL remedy. RenuPlex Extra Strength works to help damaged skin caused by dog...
- ALL NATURAL AND SAFE. RenuPlex Dog Shampoo is safe and effective. RenuPlex with has been used by thousands of other pet...
- MADE WITH THE BEST NATURAL INGREDIENTS RenuPlex Extra Strength Medicated Dog Shampoo for Mange is formulated with all...
One of the biggest selling points of the Evolution Pets Medicated Dog Mange Shampoo is its all-natural formulation. Unlike many products in the market that feature chemical ingredients, this one offers an effective solution made purely of natural ingredients. Most ingredients in the shampoo are, in fact, plant-based. According to the manufacturer, the product will kill all life stages of mange-causing mites.
You will also get a no questions asked 100% money-back guarantee in case you don’t like the results. The Evolution Pets Medicated Dog Mange Shampoo features several crucial ingredients, including aloe vera, eucalyptus oils, and oatmeal. These natural ingredients are going to nourish your dog’s skin and help it feel so much better as it recovers from mange. Additionally, this product is made in the US and is easy to use as well. Make sure you also comb your dog’s hair carefully after use to maximize the results.
The Evolution Pets Medicated Dog Mange Shampoo’s formulation, made of only natural ingredients, is its most appealing feature to us. We also liked that the product smelled really good and fresh.
- Available in Lavender and Peppermint scents, this shampoo is an anti-fungal, soothing shampoo for pups with skin conditions like mange.
- Contains ingredients, such as Zinc-PCA, oatmeal, amino proteins, jojoba oil, aloe vera, and many other nutrients, and their role is to restore, soothe, and treat mange on your furry friend.
- One shampoo bottle is ideal for pups up to 30 lbs in size, and this makes it perfect for small and medium doggies.
- It is perfect for multiple other skin conditions, such as hot spots, scabies, fleas, ticks, and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- This product has a 100% money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied.
- Some pups may be allergic to some of the ingredients in this shampoo.
- Depending on the severity of the mange or other skin diseases, you may still need to visit a vet.
#2 Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Shampoo
- GENTLE SOOTHING – Helps promote a healthy skin and coat free of flaky, dry, or overly oily skin that may be caused by...
- FAST ACTING – Works fast with powerful ingredients that help shed dry skin and hydrate your pet's skin. Wash and soak...
- VET-RECOMMENDED – This paraben, dye, and soap-free pet shampoo has gentle cleansers and is made without damaging...
In case your dog has several severe skin issues, then this Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo will be the best choice. The product is formulated by using salicylic acid, micronized sulfur, and coal tar, all of which are essential in treating mange.
In addition to this, the shampoo also contains skin-soothing ingredients in its formulation, including oatmeal which helps to rehydrate and repair the dog’s skin. The shampoo is soap-free, too, and doesn’t contain any artificial colors or parabens. You can use it between 2 and 3 times a week without any issue at all. The shampoo will easily soothe your dog’s itchy skin and reduce inflammation and redness as well.
The fast-acting nature of this product is a big plus. It will help soothe and eliminate scaling, rashes, and inflammation very quickly. Besides, the shampoo also comes with additional skin repair ingredients, including Allantoin and Oatmeal.
- This is a 16-oz medicated shampoo that is a fast-acting formula, and this means it immediately gets to work once you use it.
- It is an anti-parasitic formula that helps to treat conditions, such as mange, parasitic infections, and seborrhea.
- Contains mange-treating ingredients, such as micronized sulfur, coal tar, and salicylic acid, and this helps to soothe while treating your furry friend.
- This shampoo is soap-free, which means it does not contain parabens or artificial colors such that you can safely use it on your pup between 2 and 3 times a week.
- Aside from soothing your doggie’s skin and reducing redness and inflammation, this shampoo is also rich in Allantoin and Oatmeal, both of, which help with skin repair.
- This product is only recommended for pups older than 12 weeks, so you need to spend more to get another shampoo for younger doggies.
- Your pup may be allergic to some of the ingredients in the shampoo and may also not like the smell while in use.
#3 Strawfield Pets Chlorhexidine Shampoo For Dogs
Strawfield Pets Chlorhexidine Shampoo is designed for both cats and dogs. It features Ketoconazole, soothing aloe vera, as well as the healing properties of vitamin E. The shampoo also contains a 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate solution, which is very effective in destroying bacteria. It’s also an excellent treatment for acne in dog and cat faces.
The product can also help get rid of flea and insect bites, deal with skin infections, amongst other benefits. The Strawfield Pets Chlorhexidine shampoo also has a small amount of Ketoconazole to get rid of the fungus. The ingredient may also help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles among older dogs. The shampoo is made in the US under stringent quality standards. You can be sure it’s a reliable, safe, and effective product.
The Strawfield Pets Chlorhexidine Shampoo works very well to treat an array of skin-related issues. It may also help to prevent smelly dog and cat ears. What makes it perfect is the fact that it doesn’t have any harsh antibiotics or medicines in its formulation. It’s a safe product to use for dogs and cats of all sizes.
- This is a locally made shampoo that is universal and can be used on not only pups but also cats and even horses.
- This is an antiseptic shampoo, which means that it is rich in ingredients that can treat acne, yeast, fungi, bacteria, hot spots, and ringworm.
- The formula is perfect for itchy pup skin caused by mange and other conditions, and it helps to tackle the root cause of the itchiness.
- It offers skin relief against mange and other skin conditions, thanks to the 4% Chlorhexidine Gluconate in this medicated shampoo.
- It is available in Lavender Rain, which gives this shampoo a lightly scented formula, which gives your pup’s skin and coat a lovely and fresh fragrance.
- Not all pups like the smell of the shampoo, and it can make them rather uncomfortable.
- Some pups are allergic or sensitive to the ingredients in the shampoo so care must be exercised before using it on your pup.
#4 Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo
- Benzoyl peroxide shampoo helps provide relief from demodectic mange and dermatitis
- Excellent degreaser for problem coats
- Aids in the opening and flushing of hair follicles
Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo has plenty of benzoyl peroxide, one of the most crucial ingredients in dealing with mange. It’s a product that has been developed specifically to deal with this condition. Its formulation features a 1-to-3 micron-sized benzoyl peroxide powder that’s combined in a moisturizing and deep cleansing base. The product is, therefore, capable of easily flushing out hair follicles without over-drying the dog’s skin.
Additionally, the Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo is all-natural. It comes with fast-acting moisturizing agents that will help rehydrate and heal the dog’s skin. This ensures that recovery from mange is far much quicker. The product can also act as a degreaser for problem coats. If you are looking for a shampoo that is specially formulated to promote healing and strong healthy skin for your dog, then you have to consider the Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo.
The Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo contains significant amounts of Benzoyl peroxide, an essential ingredient in treating mange. We also liked that the product is packed with a list of very powerful all-natural moisturizers. All these natural ingredients will be crucial in promoting a smooth recovery for your dog.
- This is an unscented shampoo, which is ideal for sensitive pup skin, and it is available in a 12-oz bottle.
- It is rich in natural moisturizers, which help the skin and coat stay soft and healthy after some time of use.
- It is a perfect degreaser, which means it helps with problematic coats while keeping the hair follicles clean and flushed.
- It is a deep-cleansing medicated shampoo containing 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, and this helps with mange, acne, and seborrheic dermatitis.
- It can be used daily or as advised by your veterinarian, and it is easy to use and takes between 5 and 10 minutes to take effect on your pup’s skin and coat.
- This product is dangerous around kids and should not be applied near your pup’s eyes or mucous membranes to avoid irritation.
- It can cause bleaching or undesired color changes on some pups’ coats.
#5 Nootie Medicated Antimicrobial Dog Shampoo
- HELPS ALLEVIATE SKIN CONDITIONS - Ideal for helping relieve issues like hotspots, dry itchy skin, infections, and other...
- Our non-irritating shampoo helps prevent topical skin infections. For best results, use with Nootie Pet Spray.
- Sold in over 10,000 Vet Clinics & Pet Stores Worldwide - Our products are used and trusted by veterinarians.
The Nootie Medicated Dog Shampoo features both Chlorhexidine Gluconate and Miconazole Nitrate in its formulation. Although these ingredients are not specifically effective in eradicating mites, they can play a very important role in preventing bacterial and fungal infections that tend to be very common among dogs already suffering from mange.
The shampoo also comes with several essential oils that will help with hydration. The product is easy to use too. Once you have applied it, give it 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing it with lots of water. This allows the medicinal aspects of the shampoo to take effect. Don’t also forget to keep the shampoo out of your dog’s ears, eyes, and nose. The Nootie Medicated Dog Shampoo gives you a 100% satisfaction guarantee. It’s a quality product that’s safe to use too.
The Nootie Medicated Dog Shampoo doesn’t contain any ingredients that kill mites, but it will help address a lot of secondary issues that are caused by mange. Symptoms like itching and irritation will be removed easily by this product. It’s ideal for the recovery process.
- This is a skin treatment dog shampoo that is perfect for dogs, cats, and horses and is available in a 16-oz bottle.
- Contains 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate and 2% Miconazole Nitrate, which help to battle antibacterial and antifungal infections on your pup’s skin.
- It contains a non-irritating soft-lily passion fragrance, and this means it will leave your pup’s skin not only free of mange but also smelling great.
- It helps to treat multiple skin conditions, such as ringworm, dry, itchy skin, allergic reactions, and topical skin conditions, so you are assured that your pup will be well taken care of.
- It is soap-free and free of parabens, dye, chemicals, and SLS, thereby protecting your pup from any possible negative reactions to the shampoo.
- Some owners feel that the shampoo is too thick, and this can affect their follicles and coats.
- Some pups still have negative allergic reactions to some of the shampoo ingredients.
Dog Shampoo For Mange Buyer’s Guide
Dogs are a man’s best friend, and that’s why you will find them in most households around the world. The canines are kept for several reasons. However, a majority of us love them as pets. Dogs can also be used for security and law enforcement. The health of your dog is probably one of the most important things. A healthy dog is a happy dog, and this will give both of you a great experience.
You can easily find countless dog shampoos on the market right now. With so many options to choose from, it can be hard to know which shampoo is perfect for your mange suffering dog.
Well, here are the five things to always consider before you buy a shampoo for mange:
Is It Medicated Or Not?
Medicated shampoos are those that contain benzoyl peroxide and other essential active ingredients that can penetrate the top layer of the pet’s skin to kill adult mites and their eggs. Medicated products are often more effective.
This is quite similar to flea collars and flea treatments, whereby the medicated options are usually more effective.
Mange causes the skin of your dog to grow itchy and irritated. The last thing you want in such a situation is to pump it with more chemicals. In that case, look for mange shampoos that feature an all-natural list of ingredients in their formulations. Make sure you also avoid shampoos that contain drying agents like soap and alcohol. Even small traces of harsh chemicals can make the itching or irritation worse.
Canine probiotics supplements can also help with managing mange.
One of the symptoms of mange is skin dryness. The problem can get so severe, affecting the skin health of your pet immeasurably. When you are buying mange shampoo, you may want to make sure it has considerable moisturizing agents. Proper hydration is essential in accelerating skin healing. Some of the common moisturizing agents to look for in dog shampoos for mange include oatmeal, coconut oil, shea butter, and aloe vera.
These moisturizing agents are also commonly found in dog shampoos and dog conditioners.
The dog’s skin has a different pH compared to our skin. This is why you should never use human-based shampoos on dogs. The natural pH level for the dog’s skin will often range between 6.5 and 7.5. However, Mange and the symptoms that come with it may cause the pH to vary significantly. Products that help to restore this balance are highly recommended.
Many mange products will have specific ingredients designed to treat the condition. But if you can buy shampoos that also have anti-parasitic elements, then you should go for it. Remember that it’s all about taking care of the skin holistically, and anti-parasitic products will even help prevent future mange occurrences.
If you wish to help your pooches to heal faster from mange, consider getting them an Elizabethan collar. This helps to minimize your dog from scratching or biting the affected skin areas.
Types Of Mange
There are three types of mange that affect dogs. However, one of them is quite rare compared to the other two.
Sarcoptic mange is often caused by Sarcoptes scabiei, a highly contagious mite that thrives in the dog’s skin and lays eggs. As the eggs hatch, the problem becomes widespread very quickly. Some of the symptoms to look out for include hair loss and crusty red sores.
Demodectic mange is a less aggressive form of the disease that is caused by the Demodex canis mite. The condition is also known as the puppy mange or the red mange. Demodectic mange is most common in smaller, younger dogs.
The Cheyletiellosis mange is caused by the C Yasguri mite. This form of mange is, however, very rare. It is also more commonly referred to as “walking dandruff.”
When To Use Medicated Shampoo?
The shampoo is highly recommended even if your dog is still healthy. Using shampoo once every few weeks can act as a preventive measure. It may also help to keep the dog clean at all times. Therefore, it is essential to groom your dog regularly such as brushing its teeth, combing its hair and bathing at least once weekly.
In the unfortunate event that your dog has already been hit by mange, the first thing would be to consult a vet. Regular washing with medicated shampoo will also be required. But don’t use the products daily. Dog shampoos can also be irritating and as such, using them in small amounts is very important. Additionally, if your dog has certain allergies, make sure you buy a shampoo that doesn’t make them worse.
What Happens When Mange Is Not Treated?
If mange-causing mites are not taken care of as soon as possible, they will continue to cause more skin irritation to the dog. Your pet will scratch aggressively until the hair falls out. When the dog loses a huge patch of its hair, it will take longer for it to heal and recover even with treatment. Untreated mange may also lead to other secondary dangerous infections too.
Finding a quality shampoo product for dogs suffering from mange is not easy. But there are a few products in the market that stand out from the others. Our top pick is by far one of the top brands out there.
This shampoo features an all-natural formulation and delivers instant results. It can be used for a wide range of dog breeds, too, and the price is not bad either. It is simply one of the safest shampoos out there.